What a range of songs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Here's some fun data for you about the songs played on the Vertigo Tour. I'm not including covers or songs played on the HTDAAB Promo Tour (i.e. Desire doesn't make it yet) and snippets don't count for a thing. I'm counting An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart as one song. And if any of the data below is wrong or I've missed something, please tell me. :)

Master list of songs played on Vertigo Tour
Current as of the end of U2's first Chicago show of the third leg on 20 September 2005. I am NOT including Stuck In A Moment as it solely appeared at the LA Rehearsal in March. I am NOT including She's A Mystery To Me as I believe its appearance after One in Denver was more a glorified snippet than a proper performance.

All Because Of You
All I Want Is You
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
Bad
Beautiful Day
Bullet The Blue Sky
City Of Blinding Lights
Discotheque
Elevation
Fast Cars
Gloria
In A Little While
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
I Will Follow
Love And Peace Or Else
Miracle Drug
Miss Sarajevo
Mysterious Ways
New Year's Day
One
Original Of The Species
Out Of Control
Party Girl
Pride
Running To Stand Still
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Electric Co. (+ The Cry)
The First Time
The Fly
The Ocean
Until The End Of The World
Walk On
Where The Streets Have No Name
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
With Or Without You
Vertigo
Yahweh
Zoo Station

Total = 40

New songs

All Because Of You
City Of Blinding Lights
Fast Cars
Love And Peace Or Else
Miracle Drug
Original Of The Species
Vertigo
Yahweh

Total = 9

Songs carried over from Elevation
Qualification criteria: Song must have been played on third leg of Elevation AND first leg of Vertigo.

Bad
Beautiful Day
Bullet The Blue Sky
Elevation
Mysterious Ways
New Year's Day
One
Out Of Control
Party Girl
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
With Or Without You

Total = 15
(It is important to note this figure is a little skewed. For example, songs like Party Girl and UTEOTW only JUST qualify for inclusion as Party Girl only appeared once on Elevation's third leg and thrice on Vertigo's first, while despite being Elevation regulars to varying extents, Out Of Control was only played once, ISHFWILF twice and UTEOTW thrice on Vertigo's first leg. Finally, WOWY was cut after only three shows on Elevation's third leg and appeared sporadically on Vertigo's first leg.)

Songs brought back from Elevation after absence
Qualification criteria: A song played sometime on Elevation that must have missed at least one or both of the third leg of Elevation and first leg of Vertigo. In other words, it was cut from the Elevation set or was not featured in the 'original' Vertigo set (the 'original' set being defined as anything appearing on Vertigo's first leg).

All I Want Is You
Discotheque
In A Little While
I Will Follow
The Fly
Walk On

Total = 6

Songs not played since ZooTV or Popmart
Qualification critiera: Song has not been played in full since either the ZooTV or Popmart tours.

Miss Sarajevo
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station

Total = 4

Songs not played since the Joshua Tree Tour or Lovetown
Qualification criteria: Song has not been played in full since either the Joshua Tree or Lovetown tours.

Gloria
The Electric Co.

Total = 3

Songs not played since before Joshua Tree Tour
Qualification criteria: The last time a song was played in full was no later than the end of the Unforgettable Fire Tour.

The Ocean

Total = 2

It is worth noting that The Cry had not been done since this period.

Songs from pre-HTDAAB albums NEVER played before
Qualification criteria: An older song (i.e. does not appear on HTDAAB or other releases from the current era) that has never been played in full before.

The First Time

Total = 1
(The first time - ironically - that this has ever happened.)

Singles that have been played on the Vertigo Tour
Qualification criteria: A song was released anywhere in the world as a single by 20 September 2005 as recorded by U2Wanderer.org. The Wide Awake In America EP does not constitute a single and thus Bad is not included. Out Of Control is counted as U2:3 was essentially the Out Of Control single.

All Because Of You
All I Want Is You
Beautiful Day
City Of Blinding Lights
Discotheque
Elevation
Gloria
I Will Follow
Miss Sarajevo
Mysterious Ways
New Year's Day
One
Out Of Control
Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
The Fly
Walk On
With Or Without You
Vertigo

Total = 24

Non-singles that have been played on the Vertigo Tour
Qualification criteria: Song was not released as a single - meaning the a-side only; b-sides are irrelevant - anywhere in the world. As per above, Bad does not count as a single but Out Of Control does.

Bad
Bullet The Blue Sky
Fast Cars
In A Little While
Love And Peace Or Else
Miracle Drug
Original Of The Species
Party Girl
Running To Stand Still
The Electric Co. (+ The Cry)
The First Time
The Ocean
Yahweh
Zoo Station

Total = 16

Stolen thunder!
Miss Sarajevo was on track to claim a very interesting record at the upcoming Minneapolis show. When people previously asked if any song not played on its own album's tour had appeared in future, they were told no, but the closest example was Tomorrow, played three times on its own tour but thirty times on War (before you say anything, you won't find the third Tomorrow performance on U2-Vertigo-Tour.com as while we know it was played at one show, we don't know the rest of the set). This is a ratio of 30 War Tour performances to 3 October Tour performances, or 10:1. Miss Sarajevo, on the other hand, was played live once around the time of its release and then again once on the earliest tour it could have been played on, Popmart. In other words, it needed 21 Vertigo Tour performances to have a ratio of 10.5:1 and thus beat Tomorrow.

The First Time, a song NEVER played on its own tour, debuted on 2005-09-20 in Chicago. What number Vertigo Tour performance was this concert's appearance of Miss Sarajevo? NINETEEN. Just two performances away from the record - which, if it had stayed in the set as pattern would predicts, would've occurred on 2005-09-23 in Minneapolis, exactly eight years after its sole Popmart appearance in Sarajevo (interestingly, Miss Sarajevo's North American debut came exactly ten years after its live debut).

Talk about having your thunder stolen.

Last edited:
Yeh i don't think it was full band...it was just something for the last night of the Popmart tour...i have an mp3 of it somewhere:hmm:

timothius said:
Maybe it was only Bono & Edge. :ohmy:

Yes, it was just Bono and Edge. Actually, 40 was also done on 7 February 2001 but I don't know the details of that.

40's status may need to be amended. I think that if there were just the Popmart Bono and Edge performances, a good case could be made both ways. But if the 7 February 2001 is the proper thing, full band, with the instrument swap and all, then things may need to be fixed.

However, I would like to leave 40 where it is as that is best reflective of the actual U2 touring reality. Up for debate, really ... :shrug:

(By the way, just to clarify the status of 40 as a single, it was released solely in Germany in late 1983.)

By the way, you will most likely be disturbed to know I did this all off memory, with U2-Vertigo-Tour.com only open for purposes of cross-checking.

:nerd:

Axver said:
By the way, you will most likely be disturbed to know I did this all off memory, with U2-Vertigo-Tour.com only open for purposes of cross-checking.

:nerd:

That's the definition of fanatic! :wink:

Good job, very interesting stuff. Miss Sarajevo was great to hear live last week in Toronto. I didn't realize it was the 10th anniversary of the first time it was played live (very cool).

axver, are you into statistics by any chance?

:wink:

God Part III said:
This is their best tour ever. Admit it.

I don't think so, but the song list is good.

it's what the setlists COULD BE that I really wish for.

I'm 90% "40" was done at Seattle Popmart(final US show) with instrument switch.

Also interesting is now that First Time has been added, leaving Electrical Storm as the only track on the Greatest hits cd not played live in some form.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
I'm 90% "40" was done at Seattle Popmart(final US show) with instrument switch.

I have that, and although I haven't listened in ages, I thought it sounded just like an incomplete version with Bono singing and Edge strumming his guitar a little bit ...

So Axver, how does this list compare to U2's past tours? Obviously U2 has more songs to choose from now, but would you say this tour has the most song variety of any U2 tour (or is at least comparable to lovetown? :p) Does this tour have the most unexpected songs of any tour, do you think?

I love this tour :drool: now that Pop and Zooropa have been in the sets I am happy. and this is the best version of Discotheque ever. period.

Axver this so damn impressive.

I've spent hours on Vertigo-tour....

Almost all of that time at work:wink: :nerd:

Back
Top Bottom