Well, I'm so bored...more setlists for fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
1. New
2. New
3. New
4. I Will Follow
5. Out of Control
6. God Part II
7. Gone
8. Until The End of the World
9. Seconds
10. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
11. New
12. MLK - Unforgettable Fire
13. Angel of Harlem
14. Staring at the Sun (acoustic)
15. New (acoustic)
16. Hands That Built America (acoustic)
17. October
18. Bullet The Blue Sky
19. Please
20. Streets

21. Elevation
22. New
23. One - Walk On

------------------------------------------------------------------

1. New
2. New
3. New
4. New
5. New
6. New
7. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
8. Gloria
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. Electrical Storm
11. New
12. Angel of Harlem
13. North and South of the River
14. Numb
15. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. Running To Stand Still
17. Where The Streets Have No Name
18. New Year's Day

19. Beautiful Day
20. Even Better Than The Real Thing
21. New
22. With or Without You
23. 40

----------------------------------------------------------------
1. MLK - Unforgettable Fire
2. October
3. In God's Country
4. Beautiful Day
5. New
6. New
7. Gone
8. Until The End of the World
9. Last Night On Earth
10. Seconds
11. New
12. New
13. Stuck In a Moment
14. Stay
15. New
16. All I Want Is You - Bad
17. The Fly
18. Running To Stand Still
19. Where The Streets Have No Name
20. Elevation

21. New
22. One
23. New
24. Wake Up Dead Man

Oh....how addicted I am to making fun setlists and how bored I am. Yay for U2.

Want some criticism?

The following combinations do not work in any way, shape, or form: UTEOTW/Seconds, October/Bullet, NASOTR/Numb, October/IGC, Bad/The Fly, and LNOE/Seconds only works at a real stretch.

Otherwise, some interesting ideas with some songs that certainly won't make it, and I have always loved the idea of MLK opening a show. Shame it only happened once ...

Originally posted by Axver

The following combinations do not work in any way, shape, or form: UTEOTW/Seconds, October/Bullet, NASOTR/Numb, October/IGC, Bad/The Fly, and LNOE/Seconds only works at a real stretch.

]

Axver, I totaly respect your criticism of my setlists, though I do have some questions out of curiosity.

What about UTEOTW/Seconds and LNOE/Seconds don't work?

Why can't October/Bullet work? On Popmart Edge did SBS in a light that was similar to October (in the sense of tempo and dynamic wise). To me, the lingering chords of October into a blaring sudden noise of Bullet is similar to that of SBS/Bullet.

Why can't Bad/The Fly work? Bad has gone into Bullet, and The Fly, while not as hard, is still a harder song in their catalog. What about this doesn't work?

I see your point though with NASOTR/Numb and October/ICG.

These are just questions, I'm not in anyway attacking your criticism. I'm just curious, but I do appreciate the things you have said.

I would have explained my reasoning, but ... I don't know. I guess I felt like making a short post.

U2Fan101 said:
What about UTEOTW/Seconds and LNOE/Seconds don't work?

Seconds is very much a more acoustic song - just watch Red Rocks, it even looks like Edge is playing an acoustic. UTEOTW and LNOE, on the other hand, are all-out rock songs, and putting them with Seconds just ... totally does not work in my mind. Seconds, to me, belongs in an acoustic set or in amongst songs such as Party Girl, Wild Honey, and Surrender.

Why can't October/Bullet work? On Popmart Edge did SBS in a light that was similar to October (in the sense of tempo and dynamic wise). To me, the lingering chords of October into a blaring sudden noise of Bullet is similar to that of SBS/Bullet.

The SBS/Bullet transition worked somewhat well, but SBS is a totally different song to October - thematically, SBS works with Bullet, and also, think back to JT days, when SBS was played lightly (i.e. on RAH) before exploding into life halfway through. SBS/Bullet gave the same effect, just over a longer time frame, and you expect that explosion. With October/Bullet, however, you have the piano and Larry tapping his drumsticks, then suddenly Edge has to switch to the meanest guitar ever and Larry has to bash the living daylights out of his kit. I don't think it works.

Why can't Bad/The Fly work? Bad has gone into Bullet, and The Fly, while not as hard, is still a harder song in their catalog. What about this doesn't work?

Well, which Fly were you referring to? ZooTV does not work, because think of the way the sound of Edge's guitar would change. It feels too choppy, unlike Bullet, which just ripped out over the top. However, if you mean Elevation, then yes, that does work - Bad can flow into a 'snippet', which is really the soft opening of The Fly, before totally exploding.

Granted its 6:30 in the morning and its been a late night for me, so I dont know how good my head is working. But I put together this setlist on what I feel might be an example of a regular night on the next tour. The / means that the songs will be interchanged every other night basically. Looking for constructive criticism, especially from Axver, the setlist king. :wink:

-----Opening songs all fast paced, get the crowd roudy----
1. Vertigo
2. City of Blinding Lights
3. All Because of You
4. Until the End of the World
5. New Years Day
6. I Will Follow/Electric Co/Out of Control (but rarely)
7. Sunday Bloody Sunday

-----Bono's welcome speech, begin slower section--------
8. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
9. Miracle Drug

----Back to some uptempo tracks-------------
10. Gone/Electrical Storm/Elevation (but rarely)
11. Mysterious Ways/The Fly

----Begin Acoustic Set------------------
12. Stuck in a Moment/Angel of Harlem
13. Stay/Staring at the Sun

----Classic Anthem section-----------
14. Bad/All I want is You
15. Where the Streets Have No Name
16. Pride
17. Beautiful Day

----Lighter Song to Close Show------
18. One Step Closer

----The Encore--------------
19. One
20. With or Without You/Kite
21. Love and Peace or Else
22. 40

Songs getting cameos but not regular spots:
Bullet the Blue Sky, Desire (acoustic), Still Haven't Found, and Walk On.

I think this isn't a bad mix, you got 7 new songs to promote the album, a couple old favorites, and good representation from ATYLCB, AB, & JT, their most popular 3 albums.

Ditch the acoustic set this tour!

1. Vertigo
2. All Because of You
3. Miracle Drug
4. Love and Peace or Else
5. Yahweh
6. Original of the Species
7. Beautiful Day
8. Elevation
9. Mercy
10. Until the end of the World
11. Fast Cars
12. Mysterious Ways
13. Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
14. Kite
15. Gone
16. One
17. Pride (in the name of love)

encore:
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. Out of Control
20. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
21. City of Blinding Lights

RademR, I must apologise, I totally did not even see this thread. Well, here's a very delayed response to your setlist!

Recent clips seem to have shown that Vertigo/COBL/ABOY would not work; however, I sense those who suggested Vertigo/ABOY may actually be right.

New Year's Day
[Early Song]
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Welcome speech

I honestly do not think that works. Would Bono really make a welcome speech after the most aggressive political song made in the last two decades? I would suggest New Year's Day/Sunday Bloody Sunday/[Early song]/Welcome speech. Take out the welcome speech, make the early song The Cry/The Electric Co., and that's been done successfully before.

I'm not so sure about having The Fly come directly before the acoustic set. My personal preference is for it to close the main set or first encore, or to include it in a series of rocking songs. I sometimes find it hard to flow into the acoustic set ... maybe because I simply don't care for the acoustic set and usually leave it out of my sets.

I feel LAPOE is out of place, but otherwise, I don't have any quarrels with it.

David - I agree, the acoustic set has to go! It's been around for three tours and it's had its day in the sun. ZooTV was fine, Popmart was tolerable, but Elevation ... it was too slow, especially Stay and SATS. Desire wasn't too bad.

Very ZooTV-esque beginning in the inclusion of a stack of new songs. I don't think anyone can really comment much because we haven't heard all the songs, but I'm doubtful that Miracle Drug and LAPOE will work. Need to hear all of Miracle Drug first, though.

I love the inclusion of Mercy and Fast Cars!

I think the transition between Gone and One is a bit ... sharp. Personally, I would probably favour something like this;

12. Mysterious Ways
13. Gone
14. Kite
15. One
16. Stuck
17. Pride

That said, had I been presented with Kite/Gone or Gone/Kite before hearing a bootleg, I would have discounted it, but it definitely worked live.

My final point is that I feel there isn't sufficient representation of older material, particularly The Joshua Tree. A single song from U2's most famous record isn't enough in my opinion. I feel any setlist today requires at least three Joshua Tree songs just to satisfy the casual fan. (Here's hoping for four: Streets, In God's Country, One Tree Hill, and Exit!)

Axver, I agree with your commments now, thanks. Now that I heard more of ABOY and COBL things change. I guess I have to hear the whole album before making an educated guess at the setlist :up:

Ok, here's my stab - please note, this isn't nexessarily what i want, but rather something that i could see happening - also, please bare in mind that we haven't heard the new album the way it's meant to be heard yet. Axver, please bash if you wish:wink:

1. Vertigo
2. ABOY
3. Beautiful Day
4. God II
5. The Fly
6. Miracle Drug
7. Mysterious Ways
8. Gone
9. Electrical Storm
10. Hands that Built America
11. SYCMIOYO
12. All I Want is You
13. Bad
14. Pride
15. Love and Peace or Else
16. Streets

17. Electric Co
18. New Year's Day

19. Bullet the Blue Sky
20. WOWY
21. One Step Closer
22. COBL

hey Axver, you seem to be the king of the u2 setlist. I hear you talk about songs flowing into each other a lot. I was wondering how you felt about "BulletTBS" into "With or without you" on Elevation, I enjoyed it but it was a little strange mix. What do you think?>

Numb1075 said:
1. Vertigo
2. ABOY
3. Beautiful Day

No objections there, though I'm imagining something like I Will Follow would be better after ABOY. On the new tour, if they do open with Vertigo, I can very much see the next two being ABOY and IWF.

4. God II
5. The Fly

Love it! The Fly so evolved from God Part II. I presume you are using the ZooTV Fly?

5. The Fly
6. Miracle Drug
7. Mysterious Ways

This is where I become doubtful. I know we haven't heard all of MD, but I have a hard time believing it will fit after The Fly.

8. Gone
9. Electrical Storm
10. Hands that Built America

I don't think they would play these two together ... I have a feeling they will alternate at concerts, though I'm basing that on nothing. If they are used in the same concert, I can see THTBA in the acoustic set and ES being used to link a softer part with a harder part.

11. SYCMIOYO
12. All I Want is You
13. Bad
14. Pride
15. Love and Peace or Else
16. Streets

I would LOVE to hear AIWIY/Bad, though I think they will keep alternating them this tour. I also think Streets would come after them and be followed by Pride. By the sounds of the poor clip, LAPOE doesn't fit there. How about swapping it and Miracle Drug? If you do that, I'd revise the above to be;

11. SYCMIOYO
12. AIWIY
13. Bad
14. WTSHNN
15. Miracle Drug
16. Pride

I really, really, REALLY need to hear Miracle Drug! This wait is KILLING me!

17. Electric Co
18. New Year's Day

19. Bullet the Blue Sky
20. WOWY
21. One Step Closer
22. COBL

No quarrels here, even if I find The Electric Co./New Year's Day to be unexpected. If such a set was used, I could imagine rotation between The Electric Co., I Will Follow, Out Of Control, and UTEOTW. Can't judge the placement of OSC, of course.

All in all, I think you've done a nice job of including the new material. However, only one ATYCLB song worries me, and One begs for inclusion. Instead of AIWIY, perhaps? I do like your choices of older material.

Last edited:
RademR said:
hey Axver, you seem to be the king of the u2 setlist. I hear you talk about songs flowing into each other a lot. I was wondering how you felt about "BulletTBS" into "With or without you" on Elevation, I enjoyed it but it was a little strange mix. What do you think?>

Yeah, I am very keen on creating setlists with songs that flow into each other. Sometimes that doesn't allow for Bono to talk, but that's the price you pay ... you never know what he has to say, if anything at all, or what song it would be appropriate with. For that reason, I try to make all the songs flow together, or if that's not possible or reasonable, place songs together that sound appropriate - SBS followed by TGBHF would be totally inappropriate, but SBS followed by The Cry/The Electric Co. very much works.

So that leads to Bullet/WOWY ... it seems strange at first, but when you think about it, Bullet has to be one of U2's most flexible songs. Some songs are hard to follow (I find it very hard to think of good songs to follow New Year's Day and Streets), but Bullet is magic. Name a song and it will work. You can combine it with softer songs such as RTSS, or really rocking ones, like Lovetown Desire. Depending upon how U2 end Bullet, you can put anything after it and it will flow. WOWY worked very nicely indeed.

Back
Top Bottom