Vertigo Tour : Are the acoustic tunes a good or a bad thing????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine they will have to cancel tonights show. After all, Larry has got to be in unbelievable pain today after "GASP" having to play both Zoo Station and The Fly last night! His wrists have got to be killing him because they played those two songs! :laugh:

Chizip said:

but the mistakes make your show special :|

Absolutely Right,

Ok I don't like it when they COMPLETELY fuck up, ie when they play totally out of synch with the backing, but their mistakes and the way bono messes around with the lyrics makes each performance unique.

One of my favourite performances of the fly is the opening night of vertigo where Bono totally screws up the lyrics, but it sounds great.

Ive got a friend who's a massive madonna fan, and one of her main complaints is that she never changes any of her lyrics at all, everythings completely scripted and choreographed - to the point where there's no point getting all the bootlegs because each concert is virtually the same.

Blue Room said:
I would imagine they will have to cancel tonights show. After all, Larry has got to be in unbelievable pain today after "GASP" having to play both Zoo Station and The Fly last night! His wrists have got to be killing him because they played those two songs! :laugh:

hey douchebag read this

http://atu2.blogspot.com/2005/10/larry-mullen-armband.html

also this was from atu2's off the record column

Larry's tendonitis or whatever is bothering his right arm must be really painful these days. The grimace on his face by the end of the show was distracting; during "40," I couldn't get my eyes off the video screen image of him in obvious pain. Back on the 1st leg, the right arm had tape, but was largely uncovered. Even as recently as the Toronto shows last month, the arm looked the same. But in Boston, both myself and fellow @U2er Sherry L. noticed that the right arm seemed to be almost entirely wrapped in that tape -- whatever it is. (Someone want to explain what that is and what it does? Magnets or something?)

Last edited:
OK, where does it say thats the reason they are playing the slower encore? I never said Larry didnt have problems . I said its not the reason for the acoustic encore. Man, I hope I see you again on this leg. Name calling is a nice thing and against forum rules.

Also, none of these sources are by any means official. FANs, making observations, just like you did. You didnt prove a damn thing in regards to this thread. So try again. Believe what you want. It obvious you are one of those, its on the net, therefore must be true people. Good luck with that! :laugh:

Last edited:
whats wrong with douchebag? where i come from it's not an insult, it's like saying "hey buddy," it's almost a sign of respect.

I used to call one of my bosses "cum dumpster", but I have a feeling I'd be in a lot of trouble if I used that term with my current boss. So...let's try universally-pleasing terms of endearment, mmmkay? :wink:

Blue Room said:
Man, I hope I see you again on this leg.
What, exactly, is gonna happen then? :hmm:

- Because I honestly hope that you're not threatening him in any way here. Threats are not nice and against forum rules.

Blue Room said:

Also, none of these sources are by any means official. FANs, making observations, just like you did. You didnt prove a damn thing in regards to this thread. So try again. Believe what you want. It obvious you are one of those, its on the net, therefore must be true people. Good luck with that! :laugh:

I would say that that picture of Larry is pretty hard to explain away. :laugh: Larry does indeed have problems. :laugh: Why is Chizip's conclusion that they might have brought in a slower encore because of this so far out? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

U2Man said:

I would say that that picture of Larry is pretty hard to explain away. :laugh: Larry does indeed have problems. :laugh: Why is Chizip's conclusion that they might have brought in a slower encore because of this so far out? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Read the posts. I know it can be difficult for some. The conclusion by a "few" on this thread is the reason they brought in the slower encore was because of Larry's problems. There is absolutely no basis for that reasoning other than the observation by a few fans that he appears to have his wrists wrapped (which he has done on other tours also by the way). I NEVER said Larry didnt have problems, in fact I said he has since the Joshua Tree days (again, read my prior posts). I'm saying the problems are not the reason for the slower encore.

Look at what Chizip offers as proof. Some FANS reporting they noticed Larry was grimacing during 40 and that his wrists were wrapped. Is 40 a faster paced song? I'm saying the pacing of the song has nothing to do with it. Therefore, the First Time encore is not a result of Larry's problems. They decided to do The First Time after a fan suggestion in Chicago. Nothing to do with Larry's problems. Also, if the Zoo encore was causing such havoc with Larry, why did they even do it again 2 nights ago?

You guys believe what you want. Until I read or hear an interview with the band or their crew indicating this is the reason for the slower encore its complete conjecture with little to no basis.

I don't think anybody said that they were 100% sure that the reason for the slower encore was because Larry was hurting. Of course this is all conjecture, it was just thrown out there as an idea as a possible reason. And considering the evidence, I don't think it's that crazy of an idea.

The only person who tries to pass off their opinion as 100% fact around here is you. Maybe thats why you rub a lot of people the wrong way :shrug:

:laugh:

Blue Room said:

Read the posts. I know it can be difficult for some. The conclusion by a "few" on this thread is the reason they brought in the slower encore was because of Larry's problems. There is absolutely no basis for that reasoning other than the observation by a few fans that he appears to have his wrists wrapped (which he has done on other tours also by the way). I NEVER said Larry didnt have problems, in fact I said he has since the Joshua Tree days (again, read my prior posts). I'm saying the problems are not the reason for the slower encore.

Look at what Chizip offers as proof. Some FANS reporting they noticed Larry was grimacing during 40 and that his wrists were wrapped. Is 40 a faster paced song? I'm saying the pacing of the song has nothing to do with it. Therefore, the First Time encore is not a result of Larry's problems. They decided to do The First Time after a fan suggestion in Chicago. Nothing to do with Larry's problems. Also, if the Zoo encore was causing such havoc with Larry, why did they even do it again 2 nights ago?

You guys believe what you want. Until I read or hear an interview with the band or their crew indicating this is the reason for the slower encore its complete conjecture with little to no basis.

A whole post without a :laugh:-smiley! :up:

I NEVER said that you said that Larry didn't have problems.

Chizip or U2girl or anyone else didn't say that they knew the truth about this. They were guessing based on what they have seen/heard on the net or elsewhere. Their guess is just as good as yours.

Chizip said:

The only person who tries to pass off their opinion as 100% fact around here is you. Maybe thats why you rub a lot of people the wrong way :shrug:

:laugh:

Is that anything like when you said they were rehearsing Lemon? Was that your opinion or a fact? I certainly didnt state anything as fact on this thread. When I'm posting my opinion its a given thats what it is unless I say. This is a fact. I shouldnt have to say its my opinion or end every sentence with IMO. I'm pretty confident with alot of my opinions because I tend to look at everything and what is known for real to base them on. I'm not into wild theories that really have no basis. Maybe that rubs people the wrong way. Sorry, I think thats their problem not mine.

On this thread, IMO, there is way more to dispute what you are saying. The mere fact that they just did the Zoo encore and the reason the First Time was added in the first place (which is pretty well documented, is that a fact?, I will let you be the judge on that) fly right in the face of your theory. The basis for your theory is Larry is having problems with his wrists. Thats it. Now if the band or a high ranking crew member came out and said this, I would be happy to concede you were right. But there is little to nothing to support your theory currently.

:laugh: thats for U2man.

"They like the encore with the acoustic stuff and WOWY. Thats the reason."

That pretty much makes it sound like you are stating a fact there. Can you not see how arrogant it makes you look? To think you know so much more than the rest of us? Then throwing in a couple mocking :laugh: smilies just tops it off. It's really quite a put off. Maybe if you just said "I really think the reason they are doing the acoustic encores is because they enjoy them" then you wouldn't come off as a dick.

Anyway, you said they did the First Time because a fan requested it? Well it didn't originally start as the first song of the first encore, they played 2 rockers annnnd The First Time to start with. So maybe they later they realized it could be a good song to move to the first encore in place of the rockers in order to give Larry a break. So you're little fan requesting theory doesn't disprove anything. Also, them playing Zoo Station/The Fly for one night doesn't prove anything either. Maybe Larry was feeling a little better after having a night off so they decided to go with it? Playing the rockers every once in a while might be more doable than every night?

I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there. The fact is, you don't know either, so don't pretend like you do.

And about the Lemon rumor, Edge's bodyguard said that they had been rehearsing it. So unless he is a liar, I am going to assume it's a fact.

Last edited:
Chizip said:
then you wouldn't come off as a dick.

And about the Lemon rumor, Edge's bodyguard said that they had been rehearsing it. So unless he is a liar, I am going to assume it's a fact. [/B]

Right back at you! Apply the same to your droning negativity and/or condescention about the setlists.

So Edge's bodyguard told you this? When did this occur? I'm curious.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Right back at you! Apply the same to your droning negativity about the setlists.

So Edge's bodyguard told you this? When did this occur? I'm curious.

Until I called you a douchebag when have I been a dick? I never try to pass my opinions off as facts and I never attack other posters for their opinions or throw mocking laughing smilies at them. You think I am some huge U2 hater, but I have never said U2 sucks, I have never said the shows suck, I have given my opinions on what could make the show better. Once again, my opinions that I've never tried to pass off as fact, if that makes me a dick, so be it.

I promised a person that I would not say anything, but I know someone who is pretty close to the Edge's bodyguard, and he would have no reason to lie to this person, and this person would have no reason to lie to me, so I'm taking it as the truth. Around the time of the Toronto shows he told this person they had been rehearsing both Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay. Then in Chicago, Bono told some fans that they were working on Daddy's Gonna Pay, and it was snippetted at the end of the Fly. So I happen to believe that since that part of the rumor ended up being correct, that the part about Lemon was correct too. Does that mean they are going to play it? No, personally I don't think Bono's voice could handle it, I would think we'd see Crashed Car before Lemon. But would I be shocked to see Lemon make an appearance, not really.

Of course I try to bring some information to the board and I get mocked for it.

Last edited:
Again, you like to say I'm passing it off as fact because I'm confident about my opinion. Your quote of what I said is my opinion. You think it sounds like I'm being condescending or something. Thats fine, I dont really care. Unless I said this is a fact, its an opinion. If you cant understand that its not my problem and I dont really care. You obviously cant stand me, which is fine, I dont really care. Dont act like you are some angel though, you say alot of negative stuff under the guise of criticism and you egg on alot of the setlist negativity. I'm sure you will deny it.

The part about Lemon is interesting. That actually sounds believable. I dont think Lemon will be done and the version of Daddys Gonna Pay they were working on didnt really work well "IMO" . So I'm not surprised that hasnt appeared.

Blue Room said:

The part about Lemon is interesting. That actually sounds believable. I dont think Lemon will be done and the version of Daddys Gonna Pay they were working on didnt really work well "IMO" . So I'm not surprised that hasnt appeared.

Not that you care what I think, but the "confidence in your opinion" can often come across as arrogance. You might want to cut down on the :laugh: smilies too.

Where did you hear the version of Daddys Gonna Pay? Do you mean the snippet?

Last edited:
Axver said:
Well, to get back to the original topic ...

As far as the placement goes, though, I was listening to The First Time from Boston II last night and it made me cringe to hear people screaming and yelling through the song - it's such a beautiful song, but everyone's ready to dance and yell for the first encore. The song definitely has to be moved.

Yep, totally agree. The acoustic songs are cool but not in the encore. Definitely a buzz killer ;)

Carek1230 said:
Now kids, let's stop the bickering and play nice.

I already warned them. If Chizip can't listen, then nuts to this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom