Vertigo Fly - the definitive live version of the song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
ZooTV versions lacked something. Maybe it was because the song (like most of ZooTV) was standard and it lacked energy as the tour progressed at the beginning.
Elevation Tour was great. Revamped version of the song, with a very nice intro and a fantastic, intense outro. It was an improvement over the ZooTV versions, but again... I felt the magic of the studio version(hard to beat, I know - it is my favorite song ever) wasn't matched yet.
Listening to San Diego 1st night bootleg, I hear the intro and I think... this is IT. And then Bono starts singing and fucks up the lyrics so badly I almost lose hope. But, Bono nailed it in Anaheim 2 and San Jose 2. Vertigo Fly, featuring a fantastic intro, a very nice new Mullen drumbeat and a very cool Adam entrance at the beginning, is the definitive live version of the song. I can't wait the band gives a really fantastic performance of it.
P.S. Even Bono plays some great rhythm guitar in there.

THE UNIVERSE EXPLODIN' COSA' ONE MAN'S FUCKIN' LIE!
Now that's what I'm talkin' about...
:drool: :bow: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I didn't think this new version would win my heart over the Elevation version but it slowly is. :) I just think that Edge still haven't found the right thing to play during the verses, I prefer when he played the riff during the verses, if he doesn't want to do that he should find something that fills the space there a little more but still it's one hell of a version, the beginning is just amazing and I loved when he played that extra riff one night! Larry's new drumming for that song is quite a highlight for me too, Larry is really trying and succeeding in many songs on this tour to do something different! Fucking great version of The Fly!!! I hope for the next albm they write more songs with this same kind of intensity and quality! :up:

Please, the ZooTV version of The Fly is way better than any other version they have done since, same for Mysterious Ways. The Fly in ZooTV is rocking, whereas in Elevation they toned it down. It was good, but boring compared to the first. The Vertigo version of the Fly has great guitar work by the edge, but the song, especially vocally lacks the strength and energy of the ZooTV version. The only Achtung Baby song that has been perfomed better than the ZooTV versions is Until the End of the World.

I think the Elevation version for The Fly is the best version ever. But this is more of a rocker. And I also think that Mysterious Ways have never sounded better.

Well, I don't listen to bootlegs and so I have to go entirely on memory. For me, the "definitive" Fly will always be Hampton Roads in 1992. Perhaps not the technically best, but my personal definitive Fly.

Something about having it sandwiched with Mysterious Ways and One, and the intensity with which the Edge played that night I will not forget.

In general, I thought it was a better experience on Zoo TV than Elevation, but have to admit that it sounded pretty freaking good on Friday.

I think THE FLY is morphing into UTEOTW, listen to that riff after adams bass starts up, is this why UTEOTW is not being played :hmm:

btw i was never that keen on the song, but right now its my favourite track, that intro is rockin :)

I also think that Mysterious Ways have never sounded better.
Wow! Its great to see everyone getting excited over the Vertigo tour and the Achtung songs etc, but Mysterious ways although sounding good pales in comparison to the ZooTV version, same for any Achtung or pre-Achtung song for that matter.
How can a performance where they either speak the words or struggle to hit the notes be better?
Not knocking B, I think they are giving it their all and sounding great, but they are far off from being the performers they were 87-93.

Sken

I like all three versions. But since this one is more akin to the Zoo TV version its somewhat better. Probably because now that its not part of the opening they can play around with it a little more.

i like this version especially that line 'love, shine like a burning star, man will run, man will fall, shear face of love like a fly on the wall, no secret at all' and the harmony of that section. amazing

Habib said:
san jose 10/4 now that is da vomb !1

Heh, it definitely was for me......think I got Bono's attention during the song (Put up a single finger before "one man told a lie" which he then did)......really rocking version of the song.........it was awful at the start of the tour, but I do think it's the definitive version.....Elevation was hit or miss at times (although the Boston DVD is a huge hit).........and the song was dwarfed at Zoo TV by so much else happening.

Back
Top Bottom