Vertigo begining?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpsglick2424

Refugee
Did you think having U2 play Vertigo as the beginging song for the outdoor stadium Vertigo tours? I think they should of stuck with COBL...

They might.

The stadium shows in Latin America (apart from one) opened with COBL as it was dark in time for COBL's opening to be used. However, if it's too light in Australia and New Zealand (obviously not a worry in Japan or Hawaii), Vertigo will open. It will definitely be dark enough for COBL in Brisbane and Melbourne's show will be indoors (dome closed), and it should be dark enough in the other cities, but I guess we'll find out in due course ...

I think COBL was meant for indoors, and Vertigo was meant for the transition into songs like COBL...

Most of the songs up to COBL didn't require the light show, (in some places)

theu2fly said:
Most of the songs up to COBL didn't require the light show, (in some places)

They did that because they were playing in Europe in the summer, and due to how late the sun set, they had to start the show without the fancy lighting and it only really became visible mid-way through the main set.

As we saw in Latin America, they used COBL in stadiums too because it was dark and they could. I think it will be sufficiently dark enough for them to use COBL on the fifth leg too. I wouldn't say Vertigo was for stadiums and COBL for arenas; I'd say Vertigo was for when it was too light, otherwise they tended to use COBL when they could.

tpsglick2424 said:
Do you guys like the opening of COBL or Vertigo?

I think COBL makes for an exceptional opener.

It's a shame LAPOE was dumped as an opener after the first leg, because it was really good too.

I liked COBL the best this year for the opener..What are is your fav. song opener that U2 gas done over the years?

tpsglick2424 said:
I liked COBL the best this year for the opener..What are is your fav. song opener that U2 gas done over the years?

Personally, that's a really tough call. Here's my top five, in no particular order (though Hawkmoon would probably be my absolute favourite):

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
3. Where The Streets Have No Name
4. Mofo
5. God Part II

I nearly put COBL in God Part II's place; it's certainly a great opener and up there with the best of them.

tpsglick2424 said:
1.zoo station
2.mofo
3.CobL
4.I think discotheque would be a good opener

Discotheque could've been a good opener, but it was perfect as the encore opener.

The entire PopMart encore was amazing by the way :drool:

Discotheque
Velvet Dress
With or Without You

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me Kill Me
Mysterious Ways
One
(sometimes Wake Up Dead Man)

theu2fly said:
I wish it had been

City Of Blinding Lights
I Will Follow
Vertigo

CoBL --> I Will Follow would have been great (ala Streets/IWF), but this is the Vertigo Tour, and i think it's ultimately better to start with songs from the new album.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The entire PopMart encore was amazing by the way :drool:

I agree with what you say about Discotheque as a concert vs encore opener, but I disagree with the statement I quoted. Discotheque/Velvet Dress was excellent, but WOWY was about five years too late. I don't think U2 have really performed it decently since 1992, maybe not even since 1990, and Popmart was its lowest ebb. And while HMTMKMKM was a great second encore opener and MW probably not so bad to follow it, we all know about how I hate One. :wink:

discothequeLP said:

CoBL --> I Will Follow would have been great (ala Streets/IWF), but this is the Vertigo Tour, and i think it's ultimately better to start with songs from the new album.

You make a great point about the opening song is from the new album, I think that one of the best songs in concerts has to be the show opener song to get people wild up and so more people would buy the new album snce the song is so good...

discothequeLP said:

I liked how the JT setlists really moved things around...

City Of Blinding Lights
I Will Follow
Vertigo
All Because Of You
Elevation
The Electric Co.
New Year's Day
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Miracle Drug
Fast Cars
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Zoo Station
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
With Or Without You

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
One
Yahweh
Crumbs From Your Table

discothequeLP said:

:huh:

COBL is from the new album. What's your point? The band has used IWF as the second song on plenty of tours. 11OTT/IWF opened most UF Tour dates, Streets/IWF was regular on JT and Lovetown, Mofo/IWF opened all Popmart shows, and Vertigo/IWF opened most European VERTIGO TOUR dates. So it certainly didn't stop those tours from being about UF, HTDAAB, or whatever other album was relevant.

I don't see why a concert has to open with 2+ songs from the new album. Or what your point really is.

tpsglick2424 said:

:hmm: They have great openers...I think Zoo station and Streets tied for me.

Axver said:

I agree with what you say about Discotheque as a concert vs encore opener, but I disagree with the statement I quoted. Discotheque/Velvet Dress was excellent, but WOWY was about five years too late. I don't think U2 have really performed it decently since 1992, maybe not even since 1990, and Popmart was its lowest ebb. And while HMTMKMKM was a great second encore opener and MW probably not so bad to follow it, we all know about how I hate One. :wink:

With or Without You was a bit weak, but I was surprised at its quality on the PopMart Mexico concert. I kind of wish All I Want is You was there instead, full band, since the abbreviated one was so amazing.

Yeah, your love for One has been well-documented :wink:

Axver said:

:huh:

COBL is from the new album. What's your point? The band has used IWF as the second song on plenty of tours. 11OTT/IWF opened most UF Tour dates, Streets/IWF was regular on JT and Lovetown, Mofo/IWF opened all Popmart shows, and Vertigo/IWF opened most European VERTIGO TOUR dates. So it certainly didn't stop those tours from being about UF, HTDAAB, or whatever other album was relevant.

I don't see why a concert has to open with 2+ songs from the new album. Or what your point really is.

What i got from what discotheque said and i could certainly be wrong I think he said that the opening song should be from the new album. I dont think he said (only that one sentance) that the 2 first songs should be from the new album,but think out it.
achtung baby-zoo tv tour-Zoo Station
Pop-popmart tour-mofo
ATYCLB-elvation tour-elevation
HTDAAB-vertigo tour-Cobl/Vertigo

as you could see the songs that are from the new albums at the time are the show openers..

LemonMacPhisto said:

With or Without You was a bit weak, but I was surprised at its quality on the PopMart Mexico concert. I kind of wish All I Want is You was there instead, full band, since the abbreviated one was so amazing.

Yeah, your love for One has been well-documented :wink:

The first time I saw Popmart Mexico, the only versions of WOWY I knew were the studio version and the live one on RAH and I couldn't stand the Popmart Mexico performance. I thought it was dreadful, a bland bore. I thought the same for most of the classic songs performed on Popmart, actually. Pride, ISHFWILF, and WOWY were all huge clunkers on that tour. Velvet Dress --> AIWIY would've been much better.

tpsglick2424 said:

What i got from what discotheque said and i could certainly be wrong I think he said that the opening song should be from the new album. I dont think he said (only that one sentance) that the 2 first songs should be from the new album,but think out it.
achtung baby-zoo tv tour-Zoo Station
Pop-popmart tour-mofo
ATYCLB-elvation tour-elevation
HTDAAB-vertigo tour-Cobl/Vertigo

as you could see the songs that are from the new albums at the time are the show openers..

I got the impression he meant 2+ songs, as he said COBL/IWF would have been great, but he didn't support it because it's the Vertigo Tour and it needs to start with songs, plural rather than singular, from the new album.

And as far as new songs opening concerts, while you have a point with the recent tours, the following tours had opening songs not from the current album:

Boy Tour: 11 O'clock Tick Tock (though still a current song), Carry Me Home (unreleased song)
October Tour: 11 O'clock Tick Tock a few times
War Tour: Gloria, Out Of Control (not a single War song was used! No War song has ever opened a show, except for SBS on Live Aid and a ZooTV show)
The Unforgettable Fire Tour: Gloria, Out Of Control, 11 O'clock Tick Tock (only twice did a song from UF open a UF Tour show; Wire once and MLK once)
The Joshua Tree Tour: Stand By Me
Lovetown: Where The Streets Have No Name, Bullet The Blue Sky, Stand By Me, In God's Country

Plus, as I mentioned above, one ZooTV show (a public dress rehearsal) opened with Sunday Bloody Sunday.

I thought it was kind of boring I mean look at the others...

Zoo Tv- Elevator thing goes up with Bono on it and bono is shadowed by the Tv then dances...
Popmart-Band comes out of the end of the stadium and walks threw the crowd.
Elevation-I thought was also pretty weak just coming out of the side of the stage and start playing BUT in the middle of the song all of the lights go off!
Vertigo-Bono appears out of the middle of the crowed on the elipse. Very awesome!

But the most of the outdoor legs was just randomly opened to Vertigo, I don't have anything about to say bad about Vertigo I just thought it was a weak opening song..

Axver said:

They did that because they were playing in Europe in the summer, and due to how late the sun set, they had to start the show without the fancy lighting and it only really became visible mid-way through the main set.

Yeah that is certainly the reason they did it..

though to be honest they could have had something on the screen before they got to COBL.

I saw the start of popmart in the daylight at wembley, and there was no problem with seeing what was on the screen at all.

Manchester last year was very light as well, and vertigo got the crowd going, but they could easily have had something on the screen as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom