Unforgettable Fire - A Sort of Homecoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I think with the band's willingness to play the old stuff on this tour - i would love to see the second song in the 'old section' swapped out for Unforgettable Fire or A Sort of Homecoming.

After the 'fast old song' (Electric Co, IWF, NYD, whatever) the second 'old song' could very easily be Unforgettable Fire IMO.

I think the crowd would go nuts.

So would I....but I am sceptical.

Unforgettable Fire is not an easy song to play live, and would require a lot of rehearsal. I think A Sort of Homecoming is a possibility, perhaps in snippet form rather than the full version.

While Unforgettable Fire may not be easy to play live, U2 successfully performed it for six years - and debuted it before easier UF songs such as A Sort Of Homecoming or MLK. I think it would go down very well with both fanatics and casual fans as it's on the Best Of, but I disagree with the placement - I feel it should take over from ISHFWILF, an over-played song that wouldn't really be missed. I really don't think there's any need to play all three of the Holy Trinity any more in concert.

If we're going to take out one early song for a UF song, I'd suggest Wire or Indian Summer Sky, as they'd fit best with the rocking Boy/October stuff. Electric Co. followed by Wire would be absolutely amazing.

ouizy said:
After the 'fast old song' (Electric Co, IWF, NYD, whatever) the second 'old song' could very easily be Unforgettable Fire IMO.

I think the crowd would go nuts.

I doubt it. Here's why:

I thought the crowd would go nuts when they heard Miss Sarajevo... but nope. they didn't. :(

[not that I gave a f**k... I went nuts over Miss Sarajevo, and that's all that mattered.] :wink:

Before they play "A Sort of Homecoming," Bono has to learn the lyrics first. They're even printed in the booklet. I don't know if I can take another Elevation-style massacre of this song.

Re: Re: Unforgettable Fire - A Sort of Homecoming

chiso said:

I doubt it. Here's why:

I thought the crowd would go nuts when they heard Miss Sarajevo... but nope. they didn't. :(

That's because most U2 fans have no clue what Miss Sarajevo is. Plus, it's a bit on the boring side, especially at that point in the show.

A Sort of Homecoming is a lot more recognizable, and on top of that, it kicks so much ass it's not even funny. It's fucking epic, but they probably won't play it as it will make COBL look like Wild Honey (and I love COBL).

dare to dream though...

"Miss Sarajevo" is on the nineties compilation, so I'd wager it's more recognizable, even if most people probably skip it once Pavarotti comes in.

Axver said:
While Unforgettable Fire may not be easy to play live, U2 successfully performed it for six years - and debuted it before easier UF songs such as A Sort Of Homecoming or MLK. I think it would go down very well with both fanatics and casual fans as it's on the Best Of, but I disagree with the placement - I feel it should take over from ISHFWILF, an over-played song that wouldn't really be missed. I really don't think there's any need to play all three of the Holy Trinity any more in concert.

If we're going to take out one early song for a UF song, I'd suggest Wire or Indian Summer Sky, as they'd fit best with the rocking Boy/October stuff. Electric Co. followed by Wire would be absolutely amazing.

So what you're saying is:

The Electric Co.
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire

:drool:

(Actually, what I'd probably do is omit the slot where The Unforgettable Fire is right now, and then put it my encore instead. Slightly longer encore, but I think that the transition from Wire->The Unforgettable Fire wouldn't quite work.)

knox said:

So what you're saying is:

The Electric Co.
Wire
The Unforgettable Fire

:drool:

(Actually, what I'd probably do is omit the slot where The Unforgettable Fire is right now, and then put it my encore instead. Slightly longer encore, but I think that the transition from Wire->The Unforgettable Fire wouldn't quite work.)

That's precisely what I'm saying. :drool: Throw in MLK before UF just for good measure. On the UF Tour, the band sometimes did Wire --> MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire and it actually worked quite well because of the ending of Wire with just the vocals, no music.

Axver said:

That's precisely what I'm saying. :drool: Throw in MLK before UF just for good measure. On the UF Tour, the band sometimes did Wire --> MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire and it actually worked quite well because of the ending of Wire with just the vocals, no music.

You're right, MLK in between Wire and The Unforgettable Fire would be great.

Just so long as they don't play The Ocean.

Dublin in 2001? Bloody hell, I thought that they only played Slane then! ;)

UF or ASOH would be great, but I think that some of you are being a little unrealistic. Wire --> MLK --> Unforgetabble Fire? Talk about out of place!

At one of the Elevation Oakland shows, the 'I can play the guitar guy' they pulled out of the audience started playing the intro to ASOH as soon as they handed him the guitar and the crowd went nuts. He basically strong-armed the band into playing it and Bono had a really hard time remembering the lyrics but it was still very cool (the audience led him along). That guy was my hero that night!

Maybe they could add MLK and UF like this to the set:wink:

04 - Elevation
05 - The Ocean , NYD or whatever
06 - B.Day
07 - MLK
08 - UF
09 - M.Drug

Cheers ,

Mauwer

bratty_cat said:
At one of the Elevation Oakland shows, the 'I can play the guitar guy' they pulled out of the audience started playing the intro to ASOH as soon as they handed him the guitar and the crowd went nuts. He basically strong-armed the band into playing it and Bono had a really hard time remembering the lyrics but it was still very cool (the audience led him along). That guy was my hero that night!

Brilliant! I was thinking of doing the exact same thing if I was ever dragged up, only with UltraViolet! :D

Back
Top Bottom