U2 Should Do A Greatest Hits Setlist - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Setlists
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
beli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a frock in Western Australia
Posts: 15,464
Local Time: 12:02 PM
I wouldn't like it personally. It would be nice if they pull out a few suprises.

I once saw Bryan Ferry during his refusal to play Let's Stick Together phase and it was disappointing. We were waiting for it and it never arrived. I like to hear the really big hits. But I don't need to hear all the hits. Just the big hits, some minor songs, a cover song, and a couple of obscure ones would suit me just fine.

PS Larry once made a comment about not wanting to be a human jukebox so I doubt U2 will ever do an all hits show.
__________________

__________________
beli is offline  
Old 02-10-2005, 02:45 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,311
Local Time: 05:02 AM
David Bowie seems to be doing that at the moment too, dropping a lot of his huge hits, in favour of playing his latest album in full...
__________________

__________________
Aardvark747 is offline  
Old 02-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #18
The Fly
 
TheRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 112
Local Time: 04:02 AM
I've never seen a troll with almost 2000 posts.
__________________
TheRat is offline  
Old 02-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,600
Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheRat
I've never seen a troll with almost 2000 posts.
You'd be surprised at the lengths people will go to get a rise out of others.

J was a troll on Wire for years, bashing POP and Adam Clayton left and right, baiting people to argue with him.

Supposedly trolling is against the rules, but it appears if you're able to put some nice sentences together and make people laugh, the moderators look the other way. I sure as hell don't appreciate it when statements made by band members are taken out of context and used to prove some deranged theory.

I'm guessing someone who repeatedly called Bono a douchebag for no reason wouldn't have the same luck, even if the intent is the same.


laz
__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 02-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #20
The Fly
 
TheRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 112
Local Time: 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus


You'd be surprised at the lengths people will go to get a rise out of others.

You'd actually be hard pressed to surprise me now; on another forum someone created a fake account who pretended to be a really crappy musician and posted terrible homemade songs all over the forum. That's just scratching the surface, and he kept it going for about two years.
__________________
TheRat is offline  
Old 02-11-2005, 05:10 AM   #21
Refugee
 
jick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,054
Local Time: 12:02 PM
All the U2 tours had a set number of songs on the rotation that were interchangeable. A concert usually has 21 songs. U2 have usually around 25 to 30 songs in their repertoire for a given tour.

Of course this doesn't include songs that are added as the tour progresses or songs that are rehearsed just for one or two shows because the song has a special meaning to the place.

Both Best Of albums have around 33 songs combined. Then you add up the new album which has 11 songs. That would be 44.

I highly doubt U2 can even be prepared with 44 songs! Maybe for the entire tour they would have played 44 songs in full, but for the first leg I think the setlist will be less varied.

So my formula is simple:

8 songs from the new album, plus the songs of the Best Ofs that have accompanying music videos that are on MTV rotation (so that the newer fans can relate when they watch classic MTV). So I'd say that would be minus Bad, When Love Comes To Town, Until The End Of The World, Gone, The First Time - because they have no music videos on the Classic MTV rotation. So that would leave them with 8 new songs and 28 "Greatest Hits" songs. That would be 36 songs on rotation, and just choose the 21 that should fit the setlist.

I think with too many new U2 fans into the fold, U2 shouldn't be playing obscure songs anymore such as 11 O Clock Tick Tock, Bullet The Blue Sky, 40, or Out Of Control. And I don't think they should even bother reviving old favorites like Ultraviolet, Acrobat, or Running To Stand Still.

Why even bother wasting their time playing a song that is not among their "best" when they can play a song that is among their "best", right?

I do think Mullen and Clayton should do Mission Impossible (as it charted very well in the USA) while Bono and Edge take their pee break. When Bono and Edge come back, they can do an acoustic number while Clayton and Mullen go on pee break.

Cheers,

J
__________________
jick is offline  
Old 02-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #22
Refugee
 
jick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,054
Local Time: 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheRat
I've never seen a troll with almost 2000 posts.
But you have seen many newcomers accused oldtimers of being trolls eh?

Cheers,

J
__________________
jick is offline  
Old 02-11-2005, 06:33 AM   #23
Acrobat
 
matt76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: London
Posts: 475
Local Time: 05:02 AM
Jick, you really are on stupid form as usual with your sarcastic wind ups which are only done to get as many replies to your posts as possible. I think you must be trying to get as many replies as you can and set some sort of record! Good luck with that one
__________________
matt76 is offline  
Old 02-11-2005, 02:08 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
God Part III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4,331
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Re: U2 Should Do A Greatest Hits Setlist

Jicky?
Seriously?
Until The End Of The World?
It's the best song they ever wrote, period. In my opinion anyway, and I'm not the only one. They can't drop this. I don't like WTSHNN that much, but I still think it's a necessary live song.
Otherwise, I think it's a fair idea. Certainly what's most important is that the fans are pleased. Young fans as well as old fans should be satisfied one way or another, and even though no U2 show will ever be exactly as I want it too be they just have to go for what reaches most people.
__________________
God Part III is offline  
Old 02-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #25
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 150,206
Local Time: 03:02 PM
Jick, you're totally wrong and U2 will never play a greatest hits setlist. If you will look over time, you will see some of U2's most common and prolific live songs were not singles or were not wildly successful singles. They play the songs that work best, not 'greatest hits'. Let's have a look at some of the longest-lasting songs:

11 O'clock Tick Tock: 1980 to 2001, missed ZooTV and Popmart. Pathetically unsuccessful single but one of U2's most frequently played songs. Most intensively played song from 1980 to 1985.
October: 1981 to 1989. Not a single.
Party Girl: 1983 to 2001, only missed Popmart. Not even an album track!
40: 1983 to 2001, missed ZooTV and the 2001 appearance was pre-Elevation. U2's most prolific closer. An unsuccessful single in Germany.
Bullet The Blue Sky: Almost every full tour show since its debut. Not a single.
Running To Stand Still: Almost every show from 1987 to 1993. Not a single.
Where The Streets Have No Name: Most 1987 shows, every show since 1989. A #15 single in the era when U2 went #1 with WOWY and ISHFWILF.
Until The End Of The World: Quite possibly every full tour show since its debut in 1992, and the most prolific live song off Achtung Baby excluding One. Not a single.
Gone: The most prolific song off Pop, played 148 times to SATS's 127 and Dicotheque's 111. Not a single.

And that is just a sample. U2's most popular, famous, and best live songs are not singles, are not songs regularly on MTV, are not 'greatest hits'. They will NEVER do a greatest hits tour.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 02-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 12:02 AM
__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
Old 02-12-2005, 01:28 AM   #27
Refugee
 
bathiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
Posts: 2,126
Local Time: 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
All the U2 tours had a set number of songs on the rotation that were interchangeable. A concert usually has 21 songs. U2 have usually around 25 to 30 songs in their repertoire for a given tour.

Of course this doesn't include songs that are added as the tour progresses or songs that are rehearsed just for one or two shows because the song has a special meaning to the place.

Both Best Of albums have around 33 songs combined. Then you add up the new album which has 11 songs. That would be 44.

I highly doubt U2 can even be prepared with 44 songs! Maybe for the entire tour they would have played 44 songs in full, but for the first leg I think the setlist will be less varied.

So my formula is simple:

8 songs from the new album, plus the songs of the Best Ofs that have accompanying music videos that are on MTV rotation (so that the newer fans can relate when they watch classic MTV). So I'd say that would be minus Bad, When Love Comes To Town, Until The End Of The World, Gone, The First Time - because they have no music videos on the Classic MTV rotation. So that would leave them with 8 new songs and 28 "Greatest Hits" songs. That would be 36 songs on rotation, and just choose the 21 that should fit the setlist.

I think with too many new U2 fans into the fold, U2 shouldn't be playing obscure songs anymore such as 11 O Clock Tick Tock, Bullet The Blue Sky, 40, or Out Of Control. And I don't think they should even bother reviving old favorites like Ultraviolet, Acrobat, or Running To Stand Still.

Why even bother wasting their time playing a song that is not among their "best" when they can play a song that is among their "best", right?

I do think Mullen and Clayton should do Mission Impossible (as it charted very well in the USA) while Bono and Edge take their pee break. When Bono and Edge come back, they can do an acoustic number while Clayton and Mullen go on pee break.

Cheers,

J
To sum up this post... I'm going to...
__________________
bathiu is offline  
Old 02-12-2005, 01:48 AM   #28
War Child
 
POP-ROMANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 847
Local Time: 04:02 AM
Or, very simple: U2 fans can vote on u2.com or something for the setlist. You pick your favourite live performance, and the first 15 can be played. u2 can add a couple of 8, which they pick themselves and voila, a setlist made by u2 fans!
__________________
POP-ROMANCER is offline  
Old 02-12-2005, 02:34 AM   #29
Refugee
 
jick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,054
Local Time: 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by POP-ROMANCER
Or, very simple: U2 fans can vote on u2.com or something for the setlist. You pick your favourite live performance, and the first 15 can be played. u2 can add a couple of 8, which they pick themselves and voila, a setlist made by u2 fans!
Perfect idea.

8 HTDAAB songs.

The rest will be "Greatest Hits" Songs. (U2 will rotate from a playlist of 13 from a pool of maybe 18-22 songs - let's be realistic, we can't expect them to rehearse and perfect a lot of the songs).

And 1 song will be a special song which will be voted by U2.com members - and the criteria is that it must not have been a single and must not have been in the Best Ofs. Or maybe U2.com will vote 3 songs per leg, and U2 will choose one of the 3 songs per show.

I think that would get everyone happy.

Cheers,

J
__________________
jick is offline  
Old 02-12-2005, 05:49 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Girl1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At the altar of the dark star
Posts: 19,374
Local Time: 12:02 AM
Oh please! I sure as hell don't want my first U2 concert to be full of greatest hits!

__________________

__________________
U2Girl1978 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com