U2 Greatest Hits Live ?... or an Unusual Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola amigos :wave: Here goes a little review of U2´s 36 Greatest Hits, from Boy until ATYCLB, performed live:

1- I Will Follow: This song has been played in every Tour since Boy Tour, 1980, until Elevation Tour 2001. In the early Tours, this song was pure young energy :bow: but sometimes Adam´s bass sucks :down: Was barely played during Zoo TV tour, only in 1993.
Best Versions: Unforgettable Fire Tour & Lovetown Tour

2- Out Of Control: This song wasn´t played during all the 90´s ( Except Rotterdam 1990 ), and return back during Elevation Tour in 2001. Also this song was played during all 80´s, even the first time played was in 1979. Often a great number live, specially during War Tour.
Best Versions: Boy Tour & War Tour

3- Gloria: Another Awesome live number during 80´s. This song was played during all 80´s Tours since October one, then was played only one time during Zoo TV, wasn´t played until Elevation Tour 2001.
Best Versions: War Tour & Unforgettable Fire Tour

4- Sunday Bloody Sunday: No words... a Classic. Played for the first time in 1982 ( several months before War LP releasing date )
is one of the U2´s anthems. This song wasn´t played during Lovetown Tour. Then was played during Zoo TV "Outside Broadcast". During Pop Mart Tour was changed 100%, with Edge´s vocals and guitar. Returned full band version during Elevation Tour.
Best Versions: War Tour & Joshua Tree Tour

5- New Year´s Day: Another classic, also played for the first time in 1982. Has been played during every U2 tour since 1982. Early Tours version are just amazing.
Best Versions: War Tour & Unforgettable Fire Tour

6- Pride ( in the name of love ): Another "no words" classic. Also this song has been played on every U2 tour since 1984. Early versions are awesome, as well Zoo TV ones.
Best Versions: Unforgettable Fire Tour & Zoo TV Tour

7- Bad: This is U2 at their best. This song has been played on every U2 tour since 1984, despite during Pop Mart Tour was played just a few times. The Live Aid version is something you must listen. This is probably the song which has the most snippets on it, like "Walk On The Wild Side", "40", "Ruby Tuesday", "Simpathy For The Devil", "Biko", "WGRYWH", "All I Want Is You", "Candle In The Wind", etc. Also this is the longest live U2 live song ever ( more than 15 minutes in 1985 )
Best Versions: Live Aid 1985 & Joshua Tree Tour

8- The Unforgettable Fire: this is the song ( from these "Greatest Hists" ones ) that more years has been outside of the stages, since the last time that U2 played this song was in 1990.
Best Versions: Unforgettable Fire Tour & Lovetown Tour

9- WTSHNN: without a doubt, is a highlight on every U2 concert.
Played on every U2 Tour since 1987.
Best Versions: Joshua Tree Tour & Zoo TV Tour

10- ISHFWILF: Usually this is a sensitive live moment. Played on every U2 Tour since 1987
Best Versions: Joshua Tree Tour & Lovetown Tour

11- With Or Without You: One of the most waited songs by fans.
Played on every U2 tour since 1987. The early 80´s versions are clearly the best ones.
Best Versions: Joshua Tree Tour & Lovetown Tour

12- Bullet The Blue Sky: A great live number. Played on every U2 tour since 1987.
Best Versions: Joshua Tree Tour & Zoo TV Tour

13- Running To Stand Still: Was a great highlight during Zoo TV Tour, with a different version. This song wasn´t played during Pop Mart Tour, and was played only 2 times during Elevation Tour, but those versions were just acoustic and Bono didn´t sing all lyrics.
Best Versions: Lovetown Tour & Zoo TV Tour

14- Desire: This has been probably one of the most weak live numbers since Zoo TV Tour, despite studio version is so powerful.
Played a few times during Pop Mart Tour, only Lovetown Tour Versions are truly Great.
Best Versions: Lovetown Tour

15- When Love Comes To Town: During the Lovetown Tour, BB King sang this song with U2 ( as well studio version ). Curiously, the first time U2 played this one was in 1987. Last time was in 1993, during Zoo TV Tour.

16- Angel Of Harlem: This song was also performed with BB King during Lovetown Tour. Wasn´t played during Pop Mart Tour, after Lovetown Tour this has been an acoustic number.

17- All I Want Is You: Just Lovetown Tour are worth have, since during the 90´s this song was shortened. During Zoo TV tour was just played as a snippet after Bad. Was played as a real song during Pop Mart and Elevation Tours. I don´t know why, but U2 hasn´t played a version with full strings ending.

18- The Fly: A classic Zoo TV tune, wasn´t played during Pop Mart Tour, returned back during Elevation Tour, with a different version.
Best Versions: Zoo Tv Tour & Elevation Tour

19- EBTTRT: This song has been played on every U2 Tour since 1992, but it was played a few times during Elevation Tour.
Best Versions: Zoo TV Tour & Pop Mart Tour

20- Mysterious Ways: This one has been a long live number, with Edge´s slide solo at the end. Played on every U2 Tour since 1992.
Best Versions: Zoo TV Tour

21- UTEOTW: Despite many casual fans don´t know this song, it seems to be one of the band´s favourite. Played on Every U2 Tour since 1992. Usually the end of this song is just amazing.
Best Versions: Zoo TV Tour & Pop Mart Tour

22- One: "One" of the fans favourite. The best versions of this song has been played in places for an special moment, like Sarajevo, Santiago, etc.
Played on every U2 tour since 1992
Best Versions: Zoo TV & Pop Mart Tour

23- Lemon: Played just 10 times, in 1993, during Zoomerang leg of Zoo TV. Usually was shorter than original version, and nothing special live.

24- Numb: Another song played only in 1993. I think this is not a good live number, but is a good way to show many images, sound effects, etc.

25- Stay: This song wasn´t played during Pop Mart Tour. Returned back during Elevation Tour. This song always has been an acoustic number, even during Elevation Tour just with Bono & The Edge.
Best Versions: Zoo TV Tour

26- Miss Sarajevo: Just played 2 times, in 1995 ( Italy ) and 1997 ( Bosnia ). is the less "Greatest Hits" U2 song played.

27- HMTMKMKM: Played only during Pop Mart Tour, was a great encore number, with killer Edge´s guitar.

28- Discotheque: Played on every U2 tour since 1997, this song was a highlight during Pop Mart Tour. Also this song usually contained several snippets, like "Staying Alive", "Whole Lotta Love", "Staring At The Sun", etc
Best Versions: Pop Mart Tour & Elevation Tour

29- Staring At The Sun: the first version of this song was horrible, the band had to go with another take, like a reharsal. Lately just Bono & The Edge sang this song, and the song really improved. At the first part of Elevation Tour was just a snippet after Discotheque.
Best Versions: Pop Mart Tour

30- IGWSHA: Only played in 1997, this was another 100% different live version. Usually was too short and it was really a filler live number.

31- Last Night On Earth: When Bono´s voice was on good shape, this song was killer !!, mainly at the end, when Bono went to the crowd with his guitar. Played only during Pop Mart Tour.

32- Please: This song was very different live. Contained an extraordinary Edge´s solo, and it was always longer, and amazing. Then was played a few times during Elevation Tour, but as an acoustic number. Unlike many other acoustic numbers played during this tour ( Running To Stand Still, People Get Ready, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, etc ) this song was really a highlight live, because was so different and beautiful.
Best Versions: Pop Mart & Elevation Tour.

33- Beautiful Day: Played for the first time in 2000, the early version weren´t good, mainly beacause of Bono´s screams, rather than singing. Then improved well.

34- Elevation: When Bono didn´t rap at the end, was so, so good.

35- Stuck In A Moment: Dedicated many times to INXS dead Singer Michael ... ( Sorry I don´t know how to write his last name now ). Usually was one of the best ATYCLB live songs.

36- Walk On: The first versions were clearly better, without all that "40", "Halleluyah", etc because you can notice Bono didn´t know 100% how to sing that snippets. It was a good live song, but I don´t think is a great end number ( Love Is Blidness or "40" were better )

:laugh: well, as you can see, there´re many "Greatest Hits" that were performed better during the 80´s or 90´s. Also there´re other "Greatest Hits" performed a few times.

So here´s my ultimate question my friends:

For this new tour... U2 should go with a "Greatest Hits" live or with a new and different setlist, with rare songs like Acrobat, Exit, All Along The Watchover, Please ( acoustic ), Running To Stand Still ( back again ), Dancing Barefoot ( acoustic B-side ), In God´s Country, The First Time, Zooropa, One Tree Hill, etc ?

my answer is ... GO WITH A NEW AND DIFFERENT SETLIST !!!!:yes: :cool: :up: :bow:

Last edited:
To correct a couple of inaccuracies ...

[Gloria] was played only one time during Zoo TV, wasn´t played until Elevation Tour 2001.

This is not true. U2's Gloria was last performed on 9 January 1990 in Rotterdam. I presume what you are referring to by a ZooTV performance was when Bono joined Van Morrison on stage on 6 February 1993 in Dublin. All Elevation performances (actually snippets) were of Van Morrison's Gloria.

[Bad] is the longest live U2 live song ever ( more than 15 minutes in 1985 )

There is actually a performance of 40 that was longer. On 31 January 1985 in Cologne, U2 played 40 for 16:45. In general, though, Bad is definitely the most extended live song.

I must say your selection of Greatest Hits is a bit strange. I don't know where you're getting some of them from, seeing not all are on the Best Of CDs or were majorly successful singles, and your own statements refute the idea that you are referring to Greatest Hits in a live sense.

You´re right my friend with "Gloria" :scratch: well, I wrote this late at night :crack:

When I´m talking about "Greatest Hits", I´m not talking about U2´s singles and all that, I´m talking about U2´s most popular songs :yes:, yes, maybe I didn´t use the right name, but that´s the idea ;) . Also when I´m talking about "Greatest Hits" I´m not talking about most popular U2´s songs played live, since, for example, Lemon was played only 10 times, Miss Sarajevo 2 times, IGWSHA only in 1997, etc, etc.

Peace ;)

Axver, I always look forward to reading your insights. You really know your stuff, especially with setlists and your "dream setlists (although i don't always agree - lol)

You certainly have no problem pointing out inacuracies in other people's statements. Usually, you do it very politely and that is a good trait to have.

ponkine said:
When I´m talking about "Greatest Hits", I´m not talking about U2´s singles and all that, I´m talking about U2´s most popular songs

A-ha! Now, on the whole, I can see where you're coming from, especially with the inclusion of the four ATYCLB songs. However, some of the Pop and Zooropa ones confuse me - that might be because they were much more popular in your part of the world, though. Here, no-one remembers IGWSHA, Numb, or Please, besides the fanatics. At least, that's how it seems to me.

Numb1075, I thank you muchly for the compliments! Setlists really are my passion ... I was on holidays last week and I spent one day designing a whole tour leg with the express objective of playing an original setlist at each of the thirty-or-so concerts. I'm insane! I wonder what my friends thought ...

I even included a lot of nineties material. Heh, that probably comes as a bit of a surprise considering most of my setlists here are overloaded with eighties stuff.

I wish I had that much time to create the setlists for the tour. I certainly hope that the setlist you created for a Madison Square Garden Show in 2005 contains some rare gems !!

Numb1075 said:
I wish I had that much time to create the setlists for the tour. I certainly hope that the setlist you created for a Madison Square Garden Show in 2005 contains some rare gems !!

I think I'll have to make it to Madison Square Gardens first! At the moment in the setlist insanity, it's nearly the release of Hut Dab and U2 are touring small cities in northern Queensland before heading down to play rural towns in southern parts of Australia!

I might start posting some of this stuff here just for fun.

I love the version of LEMON On the Zoomerang Tour especially Bono's singing of "midnight" over and over. Awesome and one of the highlights of the Sydney Vid in my opinion. I never liked WOWY during the ZOO TV tour- it seemed to false with Macphisto performing it and I think this song has rarely been done justice live. I'm not to keen on MYSTERIOUS WAYS live either - its loses its groove and despite Edges solo it never really worked for me.

I liked WOWY on the Zoo TV tour, I love how the Macphisto make up starts to fade and Bono slowly emerges from him, the emotion starts to come through and the real Bono steps forward, to me that's classic.

I love Mysterious Ways live as well! I think it's funkier live than on the record.

Lo-Fi said:
I liked WOWY on the Zoo TV tour, I love how the Macphisto make up starts to fade and Bono slowly emerges from him, the emotion starts to come through and the real Bono steps forward, to me that's classic.

I love Mysterious Ways live as well! I think it's funkier live than on the record.

I totally agree. I can barely even listen to Mysterious Ways in the studio now because it was so much better live.

Here are my fav U2 live songs:
20. Staring at the Sun (acoustic)
19. Desire (acoustic)
18. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
17. Running to Stand Still
16. The Electric Co.
15. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
14. Elevation
13. Even Better than the Real Thing
12. Walk On
11. Please
10. Gone
9. Beautiful Day
8. I Will Follow
7. Pride
6. Until the End of the World
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
4. With or Without You
3. Bad
2. One
1. Where the Streets Have No Name

Well, now we know the whole new album, they dropped the bomb, so it´s time for the New Tour :yes:
According to my feelings and whishes, I really want to listen a pretty unusual, risk, different and more extended setlist, so here I go, this time with new songs :wink: included. Enjoy

Running Time: 2 hours 30 minutes

1- Intro
2- Love And Peace Or Else
3- Vertigo
4- Mofo
5- I Will Follow
6- Even Better Than The Real Thing
7- City Of Blinding Ligths
8- All Because Of You ( yes, not on the acoustic set would be so much better !!!. I think electric version is the right choice )
9- Zooropa ( Full version, would be the perfect first intermission )
10- Last Night On Earth
11- Exit

Acoustic Set:

12- Dancing Barefoot or Staring At The Sun
13- Everlasting Love
14- In God s Country
15- Please ( Elevation version )

16- Bullet The Blue Sky
17- Running To Stand Still ( Lovetown version )
18- Where The Streets Have No Name
19- All I Want Is You ( full song with strings ending while the band leaves the stage, that would be an amazing effect !!! )

Encore:

20- Discotheque
21- Crumbs For Your Table
22- One Tree Hill
23- Mysterious Ways
24- Acrobat
25- Miracle Drug
26- Sometimes You Can´t Make It On Your Own

:wave:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom