Toronto 2 Setlist - The boys at their very worst (Crap show)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just glad I went to Monday's show. :wink: I would have bawled without Zoo Station.

That said, I think people are laying into the band far too much. It's unreal how much people criticise them here...if they don't play the song you want them to play, they're immediately "crap." I can understand people being disappointed or jealous that they didn't hear a particular song the following night, but I don't understand people ripping apart the band because the setlist doesn't meet their requirements for a good show.

Last night's show was far from a joke, or crap, or lame. It was not U2 at their best, it's true, and the show was a bit short. But you know what? It happens from time to time, and it has happened during every tour. I am completely appalled that because they didn't put out the best performance of their lives last night some people say they are fucking their fans over.

They are not perfect and they are certainly not equally awesome every night. But you know what, that's the case with every artist, so get over it. Also, if we look at trends of multi-city nights (like Toronto), there is almost always one night that will be slightly below average. It usually is the first night, but in this case it looks like it was the second night. I remember reading terrible reviews of Chicago I, Boston I, San Jose I, and so on. But then those cities all got memorable shows right after. So I have great hopes for Friday and Saturday. Anyways I'm writing a review of the show that I will post in the show review forum shortly...

In a comparison of Toronto 1 and Toronto 2, someone in this (or another) thread commented that it was like the band had a party to get to. Not to be ungrateful, but I have to agree. I was at both shows in approximately the same seats, and I noticed 2 things from where I was sitting.

1) The audience in my section was awful for Toronto 2. They got drunk and screamed over the music to each other. Most of them sat for 90% of the show. People were leaving before the first encore. WTF? Why pay $187.00 to come to a show you obviously don't care about. You can get drunk at home listening to the CD without paying $10.00 X 10 for beer.

2) The band (Bono) didn't seem to have the same energy level as they did Monday night. They dropped songs, but didn't replace them with anything. I suppose that when you compare shows, a shorter setlist would make you feel like they rushed the show.

Technical glitches and missed lyrics aside, Bad was a welcomed addition. Truthfully, it was a totally different vibe Wednesday. I hope the band can re-capture the energy of Monday's show and carry it into 2 more shows.

I was lucky enough to be in the Eclipse last night - quite a shock indeed! Although I wasn't there Monday, I have to say it was a 'decent' show - no big surprises etc....but so what!

No other act/band in the world can rival the energy and quality that U2 produces, even on an 'off' night.....

And, I have to say, 'Bad' was an incredible way to end the night!! Being there, the show didn't seem short, despite the missing songs. Bono's voice was in TOP form for all the key moments in all the key songs (SYCMIOYO, Miss S, Streets, Bad etc)....

Beyond us diehard fans - no one would ever notice that they dropped a few songs, didn't live up to the 'vibe' of the previous night, or that they didn't play the soundcheck songs.

I am reluctant (but not) to take the following tone with those who feel 'f'-d over by the band's (incredible) but average performance.....GET A LIFE!!!

I've come to theorize that we diehard fans are literally like junkies.....we are always searching for the unreachable, orgasmic high that only usually happens once.....everything after that is a let-down in one form or another....

It is one thing to be disappointed....It is another to whine and grovel because Bono didn't walk on water and Benny-Hinn-Heal every audience member....:wink: ......It's quite sad, actually.....

Dalton Brother said:
I was lucky enough to be in the Eclipse last night - quite a shock indeed! Although I wasn't there Monday, I have to say it was a 'decent' show - no big surprises etc....but so what!

No other act/band in the world can rival the energy and quality that U2 produces, even on an 'off' night.....

And, I have to say, 'Bad' was an incredible way to end the night!! Being there, the show didn't seem short, despite the missing songs. Bono's voice was in TOP form for all the key moments in all the key songs (SYCMIOYO, Miss S, Streets, Bad etc)....

Beyond us diehard fans - no one would ever notice that they dropped a few songs, didn't live up to the 'vibe' of the previous night, or that they didn't play the soundcheck songs.

I am reluctant (but not) to take the following tone with those who feel 'f'-d over by the band's (incredible) but average performance.....GET A LIFE!!!

I've come to theorize that we diehard fans are literally like junkies.....we are always searching for the unreachable, orgasmic high that only usually happens once.....everything after that is a let-down in one form or another....

It is one thing to be disappointed....It is another to whine and grovel because Bono didn't walk on water and Benny-Hinn-Heal every audience member....:wink: ......It's quite sad, actually.....

well fucking put!!

It seems like after monday's show (which was such a welcome surprise, setlist-wise, to most U2 fans) it would be very hard to top.
So they played a normal set (And ended it with Bad) and everyone has a shit-fit because it wasn't like monday night!

I bet every "average" U2 fan had a great time last night and I feel bad for all those fans who got such a crazy "dose" on monday that no U2 show will ever be good enough for you... unless they play Mofo, Acrobat, and Mercy (and even then some of you junkies would bitch!)

I'm just happy that they haven't dropped Miss Sarajevo from the set... I hope it still gets played in the US!!

mikal said:

it's obvious that you can't handle a simple question. i read your post, but i knew your tone. is my conclusion actually false, or is your lame attemp at an insult a factor of defensiveness?

Your conclusion is false, again.

i was at the show monday nite-great energy-after so many years it is hard to pick a setlist that will please all-im a huge fan but im sure there are songs i like that others dont
bottom line it sounds like the energy level was not the same last nite but nobody is perfect-we all have off nites

Blue Room said:

Well, U2man doesnt speak for me and I'm a U2 fan. So how can he represent all U2 fans? He cant, its his personal opinion that U2 screwing their fans from his personal perspective. Dont make it look like all U2 fans are pissed, because a majority arent.

Ehm, U2Man didn't use that word.

True, U2Man didn't try to represent everybody.

U2Man made a harsh comment in a moment of disappointment. The main point of his post was however about Bruce Springsteen and U2's age. It was a reaction to an earlier post that mentioned U2's age as an excuse for this setlist. A theory that he didn't think could hold. The last part of his post was partly a joke (a harsh way of stating "and yet Bruce Springsteen is capable of varying his setlists and play more than 20 songs to his fans"). But that part was sadly the one getting the most attention.

Last edited:
One thing I have to add is the crowd factor that may have led to the show being 2 hours only.

Toronto is a rock and roll town but crowds are notorious for being really lame and conservative. Monday's performance was top notch but the crowd was in a coma until half way through the show. Wednedays crowd was even quieter in my opinion. The band does feed off of the audience and if the crowd isn't into the show, either is the band. I would be curious to see if anyone left with a copy of the setlist from Wednesday. i wonder if they decided before the show to play a shortened set or cut songs as they went along.

As others have pointed out, hopefully they will rebound for Fridays show. They have today off to rest and its not like they are doing a lot of interviews.
I get the feeling that Toronto will probably never see a weeks worth of U2 shows again.

soctheo said:

Toronto is a rock and roll town but crowds are notorious for being really lame and conservative.

I get the feeling that Toronto will probably never see a weeks worth of U2 shows again.

I heard that on the Elevation Tour, Willie said that Montreal was the loudest venue of the tour... hopefully that is true as I am flying out there for Thanksgiving to see the first show!

bort269 said:

I heard that on the Elevation Tour, Willie said that Montreal was the loudest venue of the tour... hopefully that is true as I am flying out there for Thanksgiving to see the first show!

found the quote:

"Killer show. Joe O measured the audience volume at 106 decibels which, he assures us, is the current tour record. "

Go Montreal!! Please do it again in November!!

Does anyone ever look at this issue from the perspective that we're actually pretty lucky that these guys are still touring? They could have packed it in after Elevation and it's lights out. Would we still be discussing the "crap" setlist from some show that happened long ago?

Last night was it though for me, I'm done with Setlist Parties, someone was "Disappointed" they played BAD. I know it's just someone's opninion but come on get a fuc:censored: ing clue. That song to many fans (at least the fans from the early '80's like me) would have to be the reason they became U2 fans in the first place. In my opinion it's the song I identify with them. It might not be their best song but I believe it to be the epitome of U2.

Flame On:mad:

bort269 said:
maybe they took out all the cool songs from monday because so many people fucking bitched about the setlist STILL not being original or different enough.
Seriously; do people expect the band to phone them up and ask them exactly the set they want to hear? I thought it was awesome that they played "In A Little While" and "Fast Cars" the first night (of course, I love those songs). I couldn't believe people were bitching that those songs weren't good enough. Well, they were better than nothing, which is what they gave us the second night.

People complained about "An Cat Dubh" and "Miss Sarajevo" coming back too, or, oh wah, they're not playing "Bad" or "Until the End of the World" enough (never mind that they've played them both hundreds of times). Any time they play something that wasn't a hit, half the people are bitching about it. Not really what you'd expect from a fan forum.

You want to complain about stuff? Complain about boring setlists like last night, not when they play songs live for the first time ever or bring back an old song like the first night.

Really.

Plus, I know it's hard to face the facts sometimes, but maybe the band just wasn't feeling it last night? :shrug:

bort269 said:

found the quote:

"Killer show. Joe O measured the audience volume at 106 decibels which, he assures us, is the current tour record. "

Go Montreal!! Please do it again in November!!

Hey it's the quote where Willy talks about me right after!:hyper:

Yeah, that show was something, and yes, Montreal crowds are the best. FAR superior to Toronto or anywhere in North America. The entire place will stand up and sing and cheer from start to finish. And I don't say that because I'm from there... :wink:It's true. I'm really happy I'm in Toronto for the shows this week but broken-hearted that I won't make it to my hometown shows.:sad: I thought the crowd in the stands last night was not too good (but the floor was great) and that could have affected the show.

typhoon said:

Seriously; do people expect the band to phone them up and ask them exactly the set they want to hear? I thought it was awesome that they played "In A Little While" and "Fast Cars" the first night (of course, I love those songs). I couldn't believe people were bitching that those songs weren't good enough. Well, they were better than nothing, which is what they gave us the second night.

People complained about "An Cat Dubh" and "Miss Sarajevo" coming back too, or, oh wah, they're not playing "Bad" or "Until the End of the World" enough (never mind that they've played them both hundreds of times). Any time they play something that wasn't a hit, half the people are bitching about it. Not really what you'd expect from a fan forum.

You want to complain about stuff? Complain about boring setlists like last night, not when they play songs live for the first time ever or bring back an old song like the first night.

Very true. New stuff and underplayed stuff is good stuff. :up:

And I agree deeply with your description of the Jacknife Lee "mix" of Ave Maria in your journal. Man, that guy should never be allowed to touch anything that has got to do with music again :wink:

YBORCITYOBL said:
Does anyone ever look at this issue from the perspective that we're actually pretty lucky that these guys are still touring? They could have packed it in after Elevation and it's lights out. Would we still be discussing the "crap" setlist from some show that happened long ago?

Well, I guess you're bringing the issue about being ungrateful up here. This is the one comment that I really cannot stand. The only reason why the 4 members of U2 are still touring is that THEY have decided to do so. Not a single person on this board decided it. So why are they still touring? Maybe they like making music? Maybe they like the fame? Maybe they like to be cheered by thousands of people? Maybe they like the billions of dollars they are making? Maybe all of the mentioned. But the fact of the matter is that anyone here has payed for his or her ticket. Nobody here has been "given" anything for free. So I don't really think that we're "lucky". U2 sells an article and we buy it and pay for it.

Last edited:
I think that you should all stop wasting your time listening to U2, forget it!

That would make it much easier for the fans that appreciate them, ie enjoying Wednesday night's show, to get tickets.

so often i read people say "we should 7UST BE HAPPY that u2 are even playing anymore."

uh, no.

they don't owe anyone anything, really.

but if they can't go at a 100 per cent, then maybe they really shouldn't be performing anymore. i'm sure the band would agree with that.

look at the stones for shit sakes.

but if what anitram said is true, why on earth does bono have to leave TO to go to NYC? if he was indeed late as a result, shame on him. he has responsibilities, 20,000 of them waiting for him in canada. that's 7ust not cool.

i'd love to know how many airmiles he racks up though. must be through the roof!

I hate the title of this thread, but, what the hell...it seems to be the unofficial review collection for last night. I was there, right in the ellipse, and enjoyed every ear-jarring second of it...in fact, my ears are still ringing a day later after my return home on Edge's spaceship.

I can honestly say these setlist parties we have here don't mean crap against the real, in-the-flesh experience of being there with the band. The songs tonight had punch and drive, and were backed up with a heavy theme of finding hope through chaos...with no guarantee of that happening. It was everything I expected U2 to be, warts and all.

I won't go song-for-song here, but just give a few observations: Dashboard Confessional absolutely sucked...I couldn't write cornier lyrics if I tried...and I'm a corny guy. For example, I never knew that "hair could scream infidelities"...ugg.

"Miracle Drug" was incredible last night, especially after Bono's intro describing how Egde is from the future...it was similar to the Monday intro (the one I listened to through an open side door on Bloor street...shhh) but it was expanded on a bit. Bono said how the future can be better, and then, when launching into the song, the band's energy was so infectious I got the sense that this 'future' could be a better one for U2 as well.

"One" was amazing, again with a special intro on terrorism, and how it shouldn't become something we accept as normal.

"City of Blinding Lights" was a revelation for me...I didn't think it would have the kick that it does, but it was a force...the confetti/tape stuff fell right over us in the Ellipse during the intro, and, of course I had to reach up and grab a few pieces from the air as souvenirs like a crazy man.

There were a few screw-ups by Bono, but they added to the show, and gave it an unpolished charm. His voice gave out during "All Because of You", which sent Egde into extended riff mode while Bono downed some water. I think "Yahweh" was muffed up a bit too, lyrically, but Bono got it together and threw in some great improv lyrics while walking just past the tip of the ellipse with Edge.

I can't talk enough about how amazing it was to see the band so close in the ellipse. I felt honoured to be there, and literally couldn't contain my appreciation. So, at this point, I'd like to apologize to anyone who had their view obscured by a man jumping up and down in a blue soccer shirt, while waving peace signs with both hands in the air. It was interesting to see how the show is a living organism in many ways, with Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam feeding off of the energy in the crowd. I've never had such a strong sense of band/crowd interaction with other bands I've seen.

I also want to thank Edgegirl for giving my sister the chance to see U2 for the first time. We were visiting Toronto from Newfoundland, and were desperate to get her into the show without paying a scalper. Thanks to her post here on the site, we got together and joined forces in the mighty GA line yesterday. She's a great person, with a magical sense of timing that got us into the ellipse.

I'd also like to thank all the fans I met throughout the day: the ones I lined up with to get a glimpse of Bono and the boys, including a few from Newfoundland who, like me, swear Bono could be a Newfoundlander at heart.

As for the show sucking, it certainly didn't for me. There's an ebb and flow to every tour, and, after reading some of the great reviews for Monday, I had a sense that we could be in for something less than that last night. Whatever it was, it ended up being something I'll never forget.

@Zoomerang:
Since they continue to tour, they obviously dont feel they are not giving it a 100%. I dont get how the setlist that you dont like means they are not cutting it any longer? Sorry, but thats BS as usual. There are 10 times more fans that enjoy the setlist. You obviously want U2 to quit. You bring it up in every single one of these threads. Why dont YOU do most fans and U2 a favor and quit being a fan. Then everyone wins! :laugh:

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:

but if what anitram said is true, why on earth does bono have to leave TO to go to NYC? if he was indeed late as a result, shame on him. he has responsibilities, 20,000 of them waiting for him in canada. that's 7ust not cool.

I think he may have been in New York for the Clinton Global Initiative meeting. A group of us were hanging out by the ACC to get a glimpse of the band. I think Bono showed up at around 5:30. After that, we left to go to the GA line. A few minutes after sitting down, I could hear and even feel the soundcheck from inside. It was a mad thumping drum beat that sounded like an extended "Discotheque" or "Mofo". It was very intense.

I think whatever Bono did that day carried into the concert...he really spoke at length about terrorism, etc. "Love and Peace" was very heavy and dark. I don't know....there was no "Fast Cars" or other 'new' songs, but I have a sense that last night's message was very definitive of what the tour is all about for both him and the band.

soctheo said:
One thing I have to add is the crowd factor that may have led to the show being 2 hours only.

Toronto is a rock and roll town but crowds are notorious for being really lame and conservative. Monday's performance was top notch but the crowd was in a coma until half way through the show. Wednedays crowd was even quieter in my opinion. The band does feed off of the audience and if the crowd isn't into the show, either is the band. I would be curious to see if anyone left with a copy of the setlist from Wednesday. i wonder if they decided before the show to play a shortened set or cut songs as they went along.

I won't disagree on that. The crowd was EXCEPTIONALLY lame initially on Monday until about ISHFWILF. I just couldn't understand why some of the people around me weren't going crazy. You could see that some were definite die hards and were singing along and clapping. But others were just standing there as though in a trance and/or stoned.

In my opinion, when you come back from a U2 show, your hands had better be burning from all the clapping you've been doing, your voice had better be hoarse from all the screaming you've been doing, and your back had better be breaking from all the standing and jumping you've been doing. Otherwise, you just haven't given back to the band what they've given to you.

So yes, maybe the crowd was a factor in this supposed "crap show." I still think people are being too hard on the band, though. It is possible to have an off night.

GibsonGirl said:

I won't disagree on that. The crowd was EXCEPTIONALLY lame initially on Monday until about ISHFWILF. I just couldn't understand why some of the people around me weren't going crazy. You could see that some were definite die hards and were singing along and clapping. But others were just standing there as though in a trance and/or stoned.

In my opinion, when you come back from a U2 show, your hands had better be burning from all the clapping you've been doing, your voice had better be hoarse from all the screaming you've been doing, and your back had better be breaking from all the standing and jumping you've been doing. Otherwise, you just haven't given back to the band what they've given to you.

So yes, maybe the crowd was a factor in this supposed "crap show." I still think people are being too hard on the band, though. It is possible to have an off night.

That's true about the giving back as good as you get...in the ellipse, I actually felt an obligation to do just that. I was surprised with some of the less enthused people, especially after Bono's gestures to make noise, etc. It almost seemed like there were pockets of intensity throughout the crowd, but in weird places like the upper levels behind the stage. I think concerts are like a living organism...there's got to be a chemistry between the band and audience. The interesting thing about being so close last night (which makes up for the hearing loss) was the ability to see the guys look out into the crowd for a connection; I truly feel some of the crowd last night let them down for providing absolutely none.

U2Man said:
Bruce Springsteen is older than U2. And yet he doesn't :censored: his fans like this.

:up:

agreed

I saw bruce springsteen at milwaukee and infront of 8 thousand people at the bradley center he cranked out such well known songs as the frankie and shut out the light:wink:

also the only real hit he played was the rising

my U2 concert was still amazing though

my only criticism of the setlist is that they've already played a show in toronto

after the first couple of shows in a city they should really shake things up

Listening to the show (which you can never compare to being there)
But I dont hear any crappyness.

The show wasn't that short!, San Deigo 1, was under 2 hours (pretty sure)

Back
Top Bottom