Thoughts after listnening to the San Diego show!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's voice scratches and fades and twitters in some weird places, but on the emotional/spiritual/transcendent/magical level of things, this show shook me to my most blessed and vulnerable core. It's, as some have said, a *complete* experience. Those complaining about Bono seem to want some cut-out from your expectations Super Bono Doll not this fragile middle-aged idealistic prophetic mystic that he feels to me.
Perhaps some listeners were *detached* and *distracted* because to me, the band felt spot on. And yeh, this was a get-the-kinks out kind of warm-up.
Let's see how it changes tonight.
love, Anu

So far I've only heard City Of Blinding Lights but it makes me salivate.

The setlist is very well balanced between hits, classics and less known songs. I hope they'll rotate the songs but keep this balance.

I heard it only once 'till now and my thoughts are:

- cobl is not a good opener
- i understand the connection between vertigo and stories for boys, but the snippet sounds out of place. a complete stories for boys would be better imo.
- the electric co sounds great and actual
- md and sycmioyo are getting better and better live
- love and peace or else is a monster and probably the highlight of the show
- listen to zoo station in 2005 is so exciting. amen to this choice
- the fly intro is very powerful but the song seems to get weaker. bono forgetting the lyrics doesn't help.
- as we can hear from the audience, yahweh has all the conditions to become a classic. hope they can fix the full instrumental version and bring it live.

The "Everyone" intro is weird.

The guitar and the drums on "City of Blinding Lights" are more prominent. You know, now that I think about it, something had to be most prominent on the studio version. It sure as fuck wasn't the bass. How the hell did they manage to drown out everything equally on that recording? In any case, it got unfucked live and sounds like it should. Thank God. Pretty sad when part of the fun of having this bootleg is that I can hear the new songs without dredging through the production. Love Edge's harmonizing too. The pre-chorus "whoos" don't resonate well and Edge doesn't play the neat riffs he nicked from "Electrical Storm" for the "time" passage, but I'm so thrilled I can actually hear the goddamned rhythm section that I don't care.

I liked the "Stories For Boys" snippet on "Vertigo." Pretty standard performance otherwise. The people here who complain about "yeah yeah yeah yeah" can now complain about "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah."

Bono tried too hard to improvise something new on "The Cry." Just sing it the same way you always have. Good to hear that "The Electric Co." still kicks ass, though.

"An Cat Dubh" and "Into the Heart" are still awesome, fuck the haters.

"Beautiful Day" had a bit more bite. I love Bono's "sputter nonsense over the ending" thing that he started doing on Elevation. The "Blackbird" outro was also fucking brilliant. Never noticed how similar the guitar parts are.

I skipped "New Year's Day." At least they didn't play "With or Without You." I would've skipped that one, gone back to it, and then skipped it again out of spite.

"Miracle Drug" was solid. Bono's intro was nice; "it's a miracle." It's one of their best new songs, so it'd be hard to mess up.

I skipped "Sometimes." This is probably where I'd get up and take a piss or something. I'd also grab a drink so I'd need to pee again by the time "Elevation" rolled around.

"Love and Peace or Else" came alive live. The studio version sounds so...bland. All the instruments blend into the background indistinctly. Edge pulls out some unusually wet-sounding and bluesy (for him, anyway) guitar live, but still plays mostly the same thing, but it's all so much bolder now. The more I hear this boot, the more firmly convinced I am that the production on HTDAAB is absolutely atrocious.

I skipped "Sunday, Bloody Sunday." How long must they sing this song? They should've retired it at PopMart, the last place it sounded any good.

"Bullet the Blue Sky" wasn't anything special; much slower and very bluesy solo, but still nothing new. The excerpt of "Hands" doesn't really work. It's about the least interesting way they've closed the song since they started playing it (and this is even taking into account the coma-inducing PopMart performances). And Bono didn't end it with anything about running into the arms of America. What the fuck?

I'm so glad they brought "Running To Stand Still" back. They should never play "Bullet" without this. It sounds weird with the harmonica outro at the beginning; the crowd bursts into cheers at that point, either because they recognize it or (more likely) they just burst into applause whenever Bono plays the harmonica (see "Desire"). Edge doing the "ha la la la dee days" sounds great.

"Zoo Station" was...did they honestly play "Zoo Station" again? Sounds like the ZooTV version, with the chimey guitar and everything. I don't think the "new lyrics" were intentional, I think Bono just forgot the old ones. It still sounds good, though, by virtue of being fucking "Zoo Station".

As for "The Fly"...okay, Bono, pull out a copy of Achtung, Baby and listen to it, maybe sing along to the booklet. I know he's always running around doing stuff so he can't be expected to be in perfect form at all times, but sheesh, learn your damn songs. The Edge falsetto never worked and still doesn't--this is, I think, the only Edge vocal anywhere I could do without; the rest of his singing, I can't get enough of--but I'll give him a break because his guitarwork is in fine form.

"Elevation" stunk. I can see what they were trying to do with the little build-up, but it doesn't work because the song's dynamics are too thin to begin with. It only works as an opener live. Let it die now. This would be a great place in the set for "Stuck" or "Walk On," but they could honestly play any other song off ATYCLB, and I'd prefer it. Play "Beautiful Day" again for all I care.

I always liked the PopMart drum intro to "Pride"; they played this one straight, though, except for the end, where Bono gets political. Good to hear he has something to say again.

I'm glad they started playing "Where the Streets Have No Name" instead of that imposter, "Where the Schtreets Have No Name." The "African" parts sound great.

The extended ending of "One" where Bono and Edge trade vocals is okay. Not one of the better performances of the song, but at least they're trying to spice it up a bit.

"All Because of You" sounds great. Bono's voice can't quite hit it, but I like the addition of some Edge harmonies.

"Yahweh" sounds so much better without all the stupid double-tracking and overdubbing and shit. They killed the studio version by overdoing it and making it feel as impersonal as possible. The first couplet still sucks, but overall, this is a big improvement.

As for "40"..."we haven't played this since 1983?" Only off by fifteen years, I guess. Sounds the same as it always had, which is a good thing.

Lots of little complaints there, but overall, great setlist and very solid performance. Not bad for a first show. Can't wait for them to really hit their stride.

Last edited:
People need to stop whining about the criticism. If Bono himself can make a joke about the rust showing on some of the perfs we can certainly throw our two cents in. God knows I don't want to read a thread with a bunch of Mouseketeers talking about how great U2 is. That's a given; it's why we're all here.

Great post Typhoon, with the exact amount of sarcasm I prefer. I understand you think the album version of Yahweh is overproduced, but don't you think it's missing something in the live format without Edge electric?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Sometimes wasn't engaging. I just think it needs to pick up steam quicker (see: One).

I also noticed that SOMEONE is not doing the "woooooo" on the bridge during COBL. Edge and Bono need to get their shit together and have someone fill this in. It's the build up to the chorus, and it would be a shame to lose momentum so early. Perhaps someone at the soundboard fucked up.

I still think Miracle Drug needed some extra oomph. I was expecting the solo/Edge's verse to render me orgasmic and it wasn't quite there.

One last thing: if you're a non-drum solo drummer finally doing a drum solo...DO SOMETHING. Would it hurt Larry to get a little cocky for 10 seconds?

laz

Last edited:
lazarus said:
I understand you think the album version of Yahweh is overproduced, but don't you think it's missing something in the live format without Edge electric?
Yeah, especially coming right after "All Because of You." It needs work, but it's still a relief to hear.

The whole point of the song is the wonderful climax, of course, which doesn't come off live. My ideal version of the song would probably have the music of the alternate version with a clean, single-fucking-tracked vocal like the San Diego performance.

You have no idea how much I hate the dual-Bonos on the studio versions (it's not as bad on the alternate, but that vocal has some of its own problems). Maybe it's irrational, but I don't care. It works on "Discotheque," but this isn't quite "Discotheque," you know? I don't think it works on a raw rocker like "All Because of You" either. I mean, you have two good vocalists in the band; if you want to spice up the vocals, get Edge to pipe up. One thing I love about their live show is that Edge has to sing a little to fill in their sound.

There are lots more little nitpicks I could make. Like, you know the guitar part Edge has at the end of "An Cat Dubh" that Bono usually sings gibberish over? It just doesn't sound right without the gibberish. Or how Bono comes in too early on "Zoo Station" (and then kind of tries to pass it off as intentional, but he can't fool me). I try not to get too lost in the details, but that's pretty much what fans do. Taken as a whole, they were good performances. There are potholes all around, but it's shaping up.

Last edited:
It was a solid performance for the opening night, especially considering the disasters from the previous opening nights (Joshua Tree, Popmart).
City of Blinding Lights is a great opener. I still think it belongs later in the set, but it works like this too.
The performances of the Boy songs were incredible. No one would have guessed they didn't play this tracks 20 years.
Disappointments for me are the performances of Miracle Drug and Sometimes. The latter especially seemed very bland, considering beautiful perfomances in the past(SNL).
Love and Peace or Else fuckin' ROCKS and it will rock even more later in the tour.
Bullet the Blue Sky is very similar to the Elevation version, except for that bluesy solo in the middle. Very interesting.
I can't believe I have seen criticism for the version of Running To Stand Still. For me, a highlight of the concert. One of the most beautiful versions of the song EVER.
Zoo Station and The Fly need more practice, but still they were great. And Bono, please, try to remember lyrics. I'm excited about the Vertigo Fly version and I hope it really evolves in the future.
Drop Elevation, please.
No transition to Streets. Hmm... I think that this Streets version was one of the weakest ones. I didn't feel the energy at all.
Acoustic Yahweh... blah. Play it like the alternate version.
And 40, of course, is a great closer. Brings back memories to the JT days...

Oh, and... "I'm ready for the Acrobat"? :drool: :drool: :drool:

Pretty good...

...for a first night

I've just downloaded it this morning, am on Zoo Station.

So far it's been the best first night i've heard them do. They seem to be relaxed and having a good time.

It was great to hear Electric Co again. Love the Claptonesque bluesy solo in Bullet the Blue Sky.

[the fly is sounding good... well, edge does anyway]

Not too sure about the human rights bit... listening to the radio interview afterwards it sounded like Bono wasn't too happy with it either, it did break the show too much. Perhaps it would have worked better if they'd kept playing RTSS in the background.

I can't comment on the Pride-Streets merge yet, I haven't got to it. I wouldn't worry about it not working too well at this stage. They'll work it out eventually.

From what I've read about the appearance and the lights, it sounds like the show would be better suited to stadiums, not arenas.

So... Twickenham on June 18th should be one hell of a show!!

[wait... elevation now... i heard this didn't work... well it's a little iffy...]

I guess we'll all pick minor faults for a bit, that's what fans are for, but generally this sounds promising.

here we go again?

:happy:

I'll rank my favourite performances.

1. Streets - highlight of the show. The performance was so good it turned me into a Streets fan, which I've never ever been. Always thought it was a bit bland, but god was I wrong.

2. Vertigo/Stories For Boys - adding the Stories For Boys was BRILLIANT! It made sense all of a sudden. I don't like Stories For Boys alone, but mixed with Vertigo it was magic.

3. Running To Stand Still - played the same was as ever but that's not a bad thing.

4. 40 - A mighty return.

5. Zoo Station - great performance of one of their very very best songs. Underrated gem.

6. Cry/The Electric Co. - Starting with The Cry!!! That was amazing. Bono singing "I was a boy, I was a boy" - brilliant, added a lot of power to the song.

I was pleased...

All I would probably add is possibly drop one of the Boy songs (Stories For Boys, An Cat Dubh, Electric Co, Into The Heart)...IMO Electric Co should stay there, rotate An Cat Dubh with stuff if you must. I don't get why if they want to go on this Boy-Trip then they must omit I Will Follow & Out Of Control. It's kinda like going on a Joshua Tree trip and only playing MOTD, Oh Great Ocean Oh Great Sea & Trip Through Your Wires.

secondly, I plead, plead, plead with Bono for more application in the Zoo Station/Fly portion of the show, infact I ask for more application overall (notably the second half).

I do not understand why he must mumur The Fly... the concept of The Fly is not somthing one would mumur. Bono did say he had trouble getting into that character afterwards, so we will see where that goes.

So Thumbs Up Goes Too...

Vertigo (Loved the intro)
COBL as an opener
Electric Co
Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride and Streets all sound better than last time

Thumbs Down too...

Elevation (Obviously)
Bono's Application to the ZooTV portion
And the Boy Love.

COBL sounds good with the slide guitar, but should not open the shows
VERTIGO could be better, give more balls!
BD was okay
AN CAT DUBH / ELECTRIC CO / INTO THE HEART all are beautiful
NYD was okay
LOVE & PEACE OR ELSE = the MONSTER this great tune has to be the opener!!!!!:applaud:

MD & SCMIOYO are lame...improve!!!
ELEVATION sucks give it the boot
PRIDE & STREETS were okay...but i don't like that much pathos.
ZOO STATION its great to have it back
THE FLY is good but is getting better everytime
BTBS i wanna hear this song but not like they did it at 1st night and please drop the boring THTBA excerpts...that is sooooo bad
RTSS is a wonderful song but was not that good at 1st night
ONE is overplayed. they shouldn't play it on every show.
ABOY was real good
the acoustic YAHWEH sucks:down: - they should work out the alternate version
40 is great - adam on guitar is very inspiring:up:

to be honest, i am really bored of the return of mr. Bs big pathos:mad:

conclusion: drop ELEVATION & ONE (sometimes) and bring on ACROBAT + UTEOTW *** we need more ROCKERS! ***

@U2: you all earn so much money and we spend so much on the tickets...so don't get too lazy over the tour. do your homework better and improve some of the songs. and don't forget to try out some new and unexpected.

Anu said:
Bono's voice scratches and fades and twitters in some weird places, but on the emotional/spiritual/transcendent/magical level of things, this show shook me to my most blessed and vulnerable core. It's, as some have said, a *complete* experience. Those complaining about Bono seem to want some cut-out from your expectations Super Bono Doll not this fragile middle-aged idealistic prophetic mystic that he feels to me.
Perhaps some listeners were *detached* and *distracted* because to me, the band felt spot on. And yeh, this was a get-the-kinks out kind of warm-up.
Let's see how it changes tonight.
love, Anu

I wasn't complaining at all, just sharing my experience. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to do that. I love the band and have never viewed Bono as "Super Bono Doll" (where the hell did that come from?). I am the same age as Bono so believe me, I know how one changes with age. I am simply saying the show was flat for me but I also totally get that the show will get better over time. I am not upset that I went, I do not feel disappointed in that way, I was extremely happy and grateful to be there, it was exciting and great to see them again . But am I supposed to lie and pretend it was one of the best U2 experiences I ever had? I never expected it to be the best. I expected an average show typical of opening nights and of course there were special moments and I'm looking forward to seeing them again in Phoenix.

the show kicked ass...listening to it on my ipod, it was really good...i thought bono mixed in his speeches really well and his rants and didnt go overboard and it wasnt overbearing like i thought it would be with the whole un video thing......i thought pretty much every song sounded kick ass. some ovservations...

cobl= sounded okay, bono messed up a couple of times

vertigo= sounded good but im sick of the song already

electric co =sounded unbelievable and should be a keeper

an cat dubh= great song liked it live

into the heart= wished theyd a done mysterious ways or a full band version of desire or 11 o clock tick tock

beautiful day= sounded classic

new years day= sick of it already, maybe play lemon or something else like dirty day or do you feel loved

miracle drug, sometimes= i can take or leave at this point

lapoe= sounded unbelievable and im not even big on politcal songs

sbs= wished bono wouldve mentioned the horrible killing of robert mccartney during the wipe your tears away part

rtss= killed the momentum a bit but otherwsise i liked it

zoo station and the fly= sounded awesome and got the crowd back into it. i like the new version of the FLY ALOT!!!

Elevation= i liked the beginning and it sounded the biffco remix. i especially like the note bono hits when he says mind in the second verse part

pride and streets and one = they all sounded good but im sick of them by now...also the african stuff wasnt overbearing and overly political like i thought it was gonna be. one sounded good but surely by now they could replace it with something else...is it a droppable song?? walk on or maybe even electric storm or stuck could replace it.

aboy=sounded perfect
yahweh= sounded nice but they dropped the part that goes" our love is like a drop in the ocean" and thats my fave part. a little dissapointing, hopefully they fix it.

40= awesome set closer....maybe even better than walk on.

Hey joyfulgirl and others:
My sincerest apologies if it sounded like I needed to invalidate critique. I love the level of critique on this site--not all woo woo and googly eyes and intolerant of introspection and reflection.
My comment was based on an accumulation of feelings after reading multiple reviews and posts, compared with my experience listening to the show on headphones, late at night, eyes closed yet moist, goosebumps and chills enveloping me.
But hey, the "rust" and "cracks" of this old building called U2 form part of the romance and enduring appeal of the place.
Let me just say that if this show was a Detached vertigo tour, I'm *really* going to melt when they are Connected.
(I agree with you about the end of RTSS, even though I wasn't in the room--he should be bathed and immersed in the crowd, not strapped to an instrument he doesn't *really* play).
love, Anu

Last edited:
thought: Bono really needs to get the lyrics right on the "Fly." It's the FLY...the lyrics are some of his best. Don't change them, Bonovox :wink:

Another thing, before "Into the Heart" Bon o should sing his "we've been waitiing, all day for this, we've been waiting, all day for....you" like he did in the old days.

Last edited:
NYRangers78 said:
into the heart= wished theyd a done mysterious ways or a full band version of desire or 11 o clock tick tock

You can't have An Cat Dubh without Into The Heart. No way.

Mark Freedman said:

You can't have An Cat Dubh without Into The Heart. No way.

Very try plus Into the Heart is just awesome! Even though probably most of the people there didn't''know those songs I think they were impressed cause they are very good songs (specially INto The Heart) and really added an extra emotinal layer to the show that those songs on the Boy album have!! Evn though I loved An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart I would be in heaven if they changed from time to time and played Twilight instead! That would be fucking awesmoe too imho!!! :drool:

Um, I just wanna know - when he said "No Spanish lessons tonight in San Diego" at the start of 'Vertigo', was Bono taking the piss? I thought the non-English bits were Portugese? Have I missed something major here? What am I doing here?

Back
Top Bottom