The Ultimate Poll (Because we really needed another thread about this)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you like 2 Vertigos?

• Yes!

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No!

Votes: 66 73.3%

• Total voters
If you're going to use the 'they're going back to their Boy stage' argument, which has been posted a million times, then I'm going to respond with the 'but when they toured for Boy they only had a dozen or so songs and had to play some of them twice' counter-argument, which also has been posted a million times.

My vote? No, of course. A band with 25 years of touring experience should not ever play any song twice in two hours. Lame.

wow, 41 to 8 against 2 vertigo's in the set

i think this clearly shows that 2 vertigos is a bad idea

we can finally proclaim this debate to be over, and let us never speak of it again

41 V 9 Now :)

I have no problem with 2 Vertigo's, but to make it fair, they should at least do what they did in Jersey.....40 then Vertigo again.

Yes, go out with a bang. Also this tour is missing a signature closer.

Bad didn't close enough shows to be a designated closer for this tour, 40's been used to death in the 80's (and IMO doesn't work in the energetic setlist they're playing) plus playing 40 is something I'd expect them to play on their last ever tour.

My ideal closing choice would be full-band Yahweh, though.

Last edited:
Did you even read my original post? The poll isn't about determining if its cool to have Veritgo as a closer, it's asking if its good to have it played twice in the same set. I agree going out with a bang can be cool, and using Vertigo to do that is fine. But if you do that then move a different song to opening slot so then you can add another song to the setlist.

Vertigo as a closer is cool, Vertigo as an opener is cool, Vertigo as an opener and a closer is not cool because one of those Vertigos takes the place of Bad, or Uteotw, or Crumbs or some other cool song that could be in the setlist.

Chizip said:

Vertigo as a closer is cool, Vertigo as an opener is cool, Vertigo as an opener and a closer is not cool because one of those Vertigos takes the place of Bad, or Uteotw, or Crumbs or some other cool song that could be in the setlist.

And that makes U2 uncool. Sure U2 may think they're cool buy playing a cool song like Vertigo in two cool positions. But playing one cool song in two cool positions is actually quite uncool. And when U2 does things that aren't cool, that makes them uncool. It is uncool to be uncool. Even though U2 have sometimes been called uncool, by some uncool people, they always have been cool. But this is making me question some of the cool decisions I have made on theyre relative coolnees in the past. This is uncool. :wink:

timothius said:

And that makes U2 uncool. Sure U2 may think they're cool buy playing a cool song like Vertigo in two cool positions. But playing one cool song in two cool positions is actually quite uncool. And when U2 does things that aren't cool, that makes them uncool. It is uncool to be uncool. Even though U2 have sometimes been called uncool, by some uncool people, they always have been cool. But this is making me question some of the cool decisions I have made on theyre relative coolnees in the past. This is uncool. :wink:

that's cool.

Zootomic said:
If you're going to use the 'they're going back to their Boy stage' argument, which has been posted a million times, then I'm going to respond with the 'but when they toured for Boy they only had a dozen or so songs and had to play some of them twice' counter-argument, which also has been posted a million times.

:laugh: I'm not using it as an argument. :shrug: I'm telling where and why they got the idea (specifically Bono). Agree or disagree with it, thats what it stems from. The band likes it, thats why its being done and I dont think they plan to change it (except maybe multiple night stands, fingers crossed tonight is different) anytime soon.

Chizip said:
Did you even read my original post? The poll isn't about determining if its cool to have Veritgo as a closer, it's asking if its good to have it played twice in the same set. I agree going out with a bang can be cool, and using Vertigo to do that is fine. But if you do that then move a different song to opening slot so then you can add another song to the setlist.

Do have another look at my post.

I think the people really qualified to answer this question anyway are people who saw two Vertigos in a show, and if it works for them...

Last edited:
my original post:

Chizip said:

Ok so just vote Yes or No to the idea of playing 2 Vertigos.

Please keep in mind, this is not a thread asking if closing with Vertigo is good or bad, it's asking if the idea of Vertigo taking up 2 places in the setlist is good or bad.

If you vote No that means you'd prefer Vertigo to take up only 1 place in the setlist, whether it be at the beginning, at the end, or in the middle.

your respose:

U2girl said:
Yes, go out with a bang. Also this tour is missing a signature closer.

Bad didn't close enough shows to be a designated closer for this tour, 40's been used to death in the 80's (and IMO doesn't work in the energetic setlist they're playing) plus playing 40 is something I'd expect them to play on their last ever tour.

My ideal closing choice would be full-band Yahweh, though.

it sure sounds like you're basing your Yes vote on the idea that its a good closer because you're "going out with a bang"

Chizip said:
my original post:

your respose:

it sure sounds like you're basing your Yes vote on the idea that its a good closer because you're "going out with a bang"

Well duh, the second Vertigo IS the closer.

If I am answering to what do I think about Vertigo twice I am inevitably also answering what do I think about Vertigo closing.

i've said a billion times, and i'll say it once more. vertigo twice, repeatedly throughout the tour is perhaps the lamest thing of all time.

the game came to my area a little while ago and played the same song two or three times. that wasn't cool for him, and it's certainly not at all respectable of u2.

U2girl said:

Do have another look at my post.

I think the people really qualified to answer this question anyway are people who saw two Vertigos in a show, and if it works for them...

I didn't work for me. I saw it twice. I don't think one would have to see it in order to decide. :| We're talking about the idea, not the experience.

Mirrorball Man said:
Hey Chizip, maybe your poll should have been about any song being played twice and not Vertigo specifically. Just a hunch.

Well has U2 been playing any other songs twice this tour?

That's what I thought.

Back
Top Bottom