The official "What the fuck is Elevation doing in an otherwise great setlist" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
The official "What the fuck is Elevation doing in an otherwise great setlist" thread

Not only is a crappy song, the performance is a disaster. And the placement in the setlist is even worse. Elevation as the main set closer? Nooooo...
Mysterious Ways, Until the End of the World, Last Night on Earth, Dirty Day, Exit, Love is Blindness, Ultra Violet, Acrobat(dream out loud), even Walk On is better than this.

Other than that, a great setlist. Could be even better if the tour really starts to rotate...

Elevation is an energetic song that is a real crowd pleaser. Didn't you hear how the whole crowd yells "EL-E-VA-TION!!!" I don't like how they played it without drums and bass in the beginning. It would be real good if they played it exactly how they did during the Elevation tour. I do think they will rotate that in and out though. But it does please the crowd and that's why they play it.

There are many crowd pleasers in U2's catalogue. Elevation is catchy and of course the crowd sings it, but that doesn't mean everybody out there loves it. Even I(a big Elevation hater) would probably sing it on a concert.

Where are my Elevation haters? C'mon, all you 90% of this forum.

Hello hello (hola). Let's get the Elevation haters! (DONDE ESTA?)

That's a good question, Edge. I don't know where the Elevation haters are.

haha...in all seriousness....I think it is a mediocre u2 song that really energizes the crowd and that is what they wanted. Plus, you don't know how u2 themselves feel about the song. They could absolutely LOVE it and want to play it no matter what.

I'll post again in this thread: Elevation just plain sucks. I am not going to bitch about the setlist (I mean the Boy era songs, RTSS, Zoo Station, all that stuff is great), but there is no excuse for Elevation.

It's a good song and it gets the crowd going. I can think of plenty of other songs I'd like to see in the setlist, but I can see why they'd play Elevation.

it's recognizable by everyone, and it makes people jump around.
that's why.

Raid said:
I would rather they play wake me up before you go go.
..:lmao:

OMG imagining that has got me on the floor laughing...

Gasping for breath...to say I really like Elevation, and I've never seen a crowd getting into it or really care about being part of a crowd being into it...I just think it's max pop-sexy, but in U2's special extra soaring soulfulness. I really think it's kinda brilliant

Last edited:
I totally understand why they play it, esp. in the US where people have a habit of standing with their arms folded as if saying 'Here we are now, entertain us!' (the reference is obvious). A song like Elevation allows the guys on stage to see some movement out in the crowd. Thank goodness for Elevation.

Elevation is an entertaining, superficial song.

Americans like to be entertained, and many fans can get tired of all the political content and issues that float around several songs.

Elevation is basically plain-vanilla yelling.

Not bad.

Funny, I've never had a beef with Elevation. I suppose the lyrics are less-than-Joycean, but it's a great stomp.

I have a *much* bigger problem with weak lyrics in serious songs than I do with silly lyrics in fun songs.

Basically, Elevation is just a lot of kooky wordplay that says "pull your head out, get in touch with the divine." It's really an extension of the sentiment of Beautiful Day.

If they rock it, I'm fine with them playing it.

Its sole purpose in the setlist is to give me a headstart to the restroom and beer stand before the encores! :)

I think elevation is awesome live. I havn't heard the vertigo version, but it was a great opener on the elevation tour. I think they should keep it there.

you guys really have to see elevation live on this tour to understand why it's there. i listened to the SD bootlegs and thought it was alright, but Elevation was such a great live song last night! it really picked up the crowd, got everyone cheering, very up-tempo and rock n'roll.

then Mysterious Ways right after was just :drool:

Still havent found was just like the Rock and Roll HoF (without The Boss, of course).

oh yeah, and for streets, Edge used his all black fender strat!

broken toy said:
Funny, I've never had a beef with Elevation. I suppose the lyrics are less-than-Joycean, but it's a great stomp.

Basically, Elevation is just a lot of kooky wordplay that says "pull your head out, get in touch with the divine." It's really an extension of the sentiment of Beautiful Day.

Ah, I like that analysis a lot...
And I can imagine Mysterious Ways played right after being droolworthy indeed!

Huh, I had no idea there was such distaste for Elevation out there. I really dig it, especially live. It was one of the highlights for me of all the Elevation tour shows.

I hope it stays in until at least Seattle, because I'll be one of the fans pogoing around to it.

I think it's one of those songs that just isn't one of their best but makes it onto the setlist because it appeals and it is familiar to the average newer fan...not that that is a good thing...

I was shocked at the show last night to see how many people were jumping around to it like it was an absolute classic. We may hate it but it does get the audience involved.

Argh.:huh:

I think some people dislike it because of the connection to the movie, and the fact that there's "a mole, digging in a hole" in it. The lyrics are throw-away, but so what. Live it ROCKS!! It's a fun, uplifting song and it was definitely one of my favorites of the last tour, and I'm sure I'll love it this tour too!!!

Back
Top Bottom