The official "Quit Playing This Damn Song!" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
typhoon said:
I love "All Because of You," in the studio and live. You guys suck.

:up:

ABOY is a great rock and roll song. Yahweh is jubilant in the studio and tenderly beautiful live. The Ocean is a wonderfully dreamy song that's sounding great, and if it's losing people live, that's their loss.

I do think that they need to do something to the Bullet solo, though. RTSS could be played in conjunction with something else. Then again, I find this version of Bullet extremely haunting and a ZooTVesque solo would not suit it.

Axver, do you prefer All Because Of You, Yahweh and The Ocean to every one of these songs, which they could easily play instead (i.e. the crowd wouldn't even notice if they were gone)?

Dirty Day
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Mofo
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Stuck In A Moment
Walk On
(and I won't add In A Little While here, because we all know you hate that song for whatever reason...)

Well, I can't give you a straight yes or no, as I'd prefer Stuck to The Ocean but I'd rather ABOY or Yahweh, while I'd prefer Gone over just about anything in U2's catalogue.

However, I don't really sit around thinking "I'd prefer [this]". To me, it's "hey, U2 are playing [song], awesome, let's hear it!" I have my preferences, but on the whole, I'm not fussy. Heck, I'll even take In A Little While if the band feel like playing it, just for the rocketship verse.

benh said:
New Years Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride can all naff off as far as I'm concerned.

I agree - I love these songs, but enough already! Why not play some other older stuff... Two hearts, Wire, Surrender, instead?

I am happy to see Running to Stand Still back inthe line up.

When they come out for the first encore it should definately be Discoteque - that would get hte place rockin'

Last edited:
Agree about "stay".
I also want to hear "Sweetest thing" again. Bono on piano.
And Silver&Gold, Red Hill Mining Town, Who's gonna ride, Love comes tumbling and, and and...

Chizip said:
i agree that An Cat Dubh can be a buzzkill for non diehards

i actually saw a large group of people in the lower bowl sitting down for this song in chicago

plus the aisles were full of people leaving to use the bathroom :huh:

Maybe if they'd bothered to listen to it they would have realized that it was one of the best songs of the night.

I'd never heard it before (just got boy a week before) and it kicked ass.

TheRat said:
Maybe if they'd bothered to listen to it they would have realized that it was one of the best songs of the night.

I'd never heard it before (just got boy a week before) and it kicked ass.
An Cat Dubh still sounds great live. I remember buying some old bootlegs a decade ago, and being amazed at how good that song sounded live. I never thought I'd get the chance to hear it live, and I'm thrilled that U2 is playing it again.

xrayjohn said:
I agree - I love these songs, but enough already! Why not play some other older stuff... Two hearts, Wire, Surrender, instead?
If they can break out An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Gloria, Electric Co, and The Ocean, then anything is possible.

I'd be very surprised if they played those same songs for the entire year. By the end of Leg 3, hopefully they'll have tried out a few of the other golden oldies. Twilight, Surrender, Unforgettable Fire, Two Hearts, any of those would be fantastic.

Don't expect them to drop all of their big hits like NYD, SBS, and Pride, though. There's a reason the crowd is a lot louder during those three songs than they are during An Cat Dubh or The Ocean.

God Part III said:

Now if only they played Until The End Of The World instead of All Because of You, so it'd actually look like this:
---
Zoo Station
The Fly
Until The End Of The World
Mysterious Ways
---
You'd have me crying of pure joy so much that I'd risk fainting.

Well, then, sorry, but you'll never be crying tears of joy because that mini-setlist you created was done on the ZOO TV tour!

I wish people would STOP living in the past and realize that the Vertigo tour is to support songs from HTDAAB not AB or JT or ATYCLB, etc. So we WILL have ABoY and "Yahweh" and "Sometimes...". Get used to it. Nothing wrong with a wish-list, but at least be realistic.

after going to the Philly show, "An Cat Dubh" seriously needs to be dropped.

That's my only one really, I made one beer run last night and it was during this song. It's my third time seeing it, and thats enough.

I like how Bono brings kids up during "into the heart," but they both need to be dropped.

ABOY and Yahweh were amazing last night, they need to stay.

RademR said:
after going to the Philly show, "An Cat Dubh" seriously needs to be dropped.

That's my only one really, I made one beer run last night and it was during this song. It's my third time seeing it, and thats enough.

I like how Bono brings kids up during "into the heart," but they both need to be dropped.

could you give some reasons why?

Kills the momentum of the roaring start of the set.

I love the tune, maybe if they played it later on in the set it would be better.

So how long does a band need to "stoke the fires" at a show before it can do a song with nuance and subtlety?

Is the current U2 live audience so geriatric that it needs the defibrilator running for 45 minutes, just to make it to the encore without nodding off, or heading to the loo to change Depends?

In 1983, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was the third song. I don't recall the War tour being panned because of that "buzzkill."

I really don't think the current situation is as much about song placement as it is about the audience being very different than the ones attending U2 shows 20 years ago.

The transformation is complete, from "cult band & fans" to "classic rock megaband." Several things have led to this, cost of tickets (& inflation in general) and U2's choice to sparingly record and tour chief among them. The audience as a whole now is more passive, less excited, less connected to the band's full catalog. The band themselves have fed this by touring infrequently, and re-playing their "hits" tour after tour. They have slowly undone over the last 18 years what they monumentally achieved in their first five.

And for the record, I'm 37... a codger who "gets" most of HTDAAB because I've got one foot in the grave. But I still have an intense love for this band, and I give my all at shows, and never, ever, go to the can or to buy suds during a show.

It's not Yahweh, people. It's not An Cat Dubh or the Ocean or the fact that Until the End of the World isn't there every night. It's much bigger than that.

Read this 'cause I saw it in the "Related Threads" thing at the bottom and was curious.

Personally, I don't understand the idea of cutting out songs at all. Sure, some of you who've gotten to see them multiple times over the years may be sick of those songs, but keep in mind that there's still new U2 fans coming in, and there's people like myself that haven't had the good fortune to see U2 live yet, and therefore haven't had the experience with some of the songs that you guys have had over the years. It'd be old to you, but it'd be totally new to us. Sure, we've seen the stuff on TV and the DVDs and stuff of their shows, and it's all great, but there's something about actually being there and experiencing the songs for ourselves.

Also, not everyone there is as big a U2 fan as some of us are, and they will want to hear the more well-known songs-that's just how some people are. Who knows, someone can be introduced to the lesser known stuff at the show and might wind up liking that stuff, too. And besides that, who cares how many songs they've heard? Who cares if all they favor is one particular era? There's people here who favor one era over another, and they're still considered true fans. As long as they're there and enjoying the show, isn't that all that matters?

I'd just be happy to hear U2 play, regardless of whatever it was they were playing. There's my 2 cents worth on the topic.

Angela

Sunday Bloody Sunday – I LOVE this song, it’s one of their best and stuff but there’s absolutely nothing new to it. It doesn’t have the energy that it had on other tours to me. The bible stuff Bono adds after Edge’s solo is cool and all but doesn’t really add anything so exciting to it. If only they played it like they did on the R&H movie than that would be a more interesting change and I would love that (cause that's a version they haven't played, like that, since then). I understand that they want to make that their political moment with LAPOE, SBS, BTBS (which is not even that political anymore now that Bono doesn’t even sings all of the stuff he used to sing and add after Edge’s solo) but why not play another political rocker like Seconds or, even better, Crumbs From Your Table? I know those songs might not exactly be better than SBS but they would add something new and fresher to the show I think.

Running To Stand Still – All right, I know that many people love this song but it always sounded a little boring to me. I dn't dislike it but don't really see a reason for it to be played again, at least not now, they should have waited a couple of more tours to play this one again. The Human Rights video after it works great but still I think they could have another quiet song there like One Step Closer or October. That would be a lot more interesting in my opinion.

Last edited:
well i saw the ocean yaweh and original of species in 1 show, i dont like the ocean but i can handle the rest but now heres what i think U2 should play an what they need to stop playing

Need 2 play:
-Zooropa
-Lemon
-Acrobat(its time damnit)
-Like a Song
-In God's Country

What 2 Stop Playing
-Sunday Bloody Sunday
-New Years Day
-Pride(in the name of love)
-Mysterious Ways

As you can tell I would be happy hearing a non hits show

Elevation sounds tired this tour, they should have given this one a break. I like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart but think The Ocean is definitely a momentum killer.

And, the #1 damn song to quit playing is Pride, although I have to admit it has been a bit more energetic this tour than it was for the past few.

Ultraviolet for NJ/NY!

I'm still surprised that they've chosen to play early career songs so soon into the setlist (and a number in a row)

It's clear they'll kill the atmosphere, simply because many people, and even many U2 fans, won't either know them, or have an emotional attachment to them.

lets be realistic

the ocean - self indulgent, the three minutes could be used elsewhere, especially as u2 are frustratingly hellbent on keeping to their two hours.

swap uteotw for zoo station.

stop playing sunday bloody and pride evry night.

play still havent found - it rocked at anaheim - occasionally

instead of having 15 songs every show, with another 5 rotated from ten, play 10 every night and rotate more.

but forget acrobat, lemon etc etc, it anit gonna happen

Theres two ways they can make everyone happy

A - Play Every U2 song ever recorded

B - Dont play Any U2 material at all..

Then we will all be happy.

broken toy said:
So how long does a band need to "stoke the fires" at a show before it can do a song with nuance and subtlety?

Is the current U2 live audience so geriatric that it needs the defibrilator running for 45 minutes, just to make it to the encore without nodding off, or heading to the loo to change Depends?

In 1983, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was the third song. I don't recall the War tour being panned because of that "buzzkill."

I really don't think the current situation is as much about song placement as it is about the audience being very different than the ones attending U2 shows 20 years ago.

The transformation is complete, from "cult band & fans" to "classic rock megaband." Several things have led to this, cost of tickets (& inflation in general) and U2's choice to sparingly record and tour chief among them. The audience as a whole now is more passive, less excited, less connected to the band's full catalog. The band themselves have fed this by touring infrequently, and re-playing their "hits" tour after tour. They have slowly undone over the last 18 years what they monumentally achieved in their first five.

And for the record, I'm 37... a codger who "gets" most of HTDAAB because I've got one foot in the grave. But I still have an intense love for this band, and I give my all at shows, and never, ever, go to the can or to buy suds during a show.

It's not Yahweh, people. It's not An Cat Dubh or the Ocean or the fact that Until the End of the World isn't there every night. It's much bigger than that.

Spot on! U2 audiences (and audiences in general) are just not more what they used to be. What kind of lamoid goes for a piss or bear break during the concert?
I'm also amazed why so many people want to ditch certain songs. Usually the greatest hits. Firstly, if it bothers you so much, don't go so much. Most of the bitchers (no disrespect intended) all seem to say that they went x number of times and it was so tiring to hear some of the classics every time. Stay home and give me your tickets instead. Secondly they aren't just greatest hits because the band selected some random songs. They are greatest hits because most people like to hear them. Now in some alternate dimensions there exist people who prefer to hear Elvis Presley & America over Sunday Bloody Sunday but in this reality the crowd goes nuts over the big hits. If the whole An cat Dubh/The Ocean debate has proven anything is that playing more obscure material which some of you seem to like actually kills the mood. You'd think that exhorbitantly high ticket pricing would drive out the casual 'I only own the greatest hits CD's' crowd but apperently it doesn't. So we must continue to live with the greatest hits setlists.

Muad'zin said:
Spot on! U2 audiences (and audiences in general) are just not more what they used to be. What kind of lamoid goes for a piss or bear break during the concert?
I'm also amazed why so many people want to ditch certain songs. Usually the greatest hits. Firstly, if it bothers you so much, don't go so much. Most of the bitchers (no disrespect intended) all seem to say that they went x number of times and it was so tiring to hear some of the classics every time. Stay home and give me your tickets instead. Secondly they aren't just greatest hits because the band selected some random songs. They are greatest hits because most people like to hear them. Now in some alternate dimensions there exist people who prefer to hear Elvis Presley & America over Sunday Bloody Sunday but in this reality the crowd goes nuts over the big hits. If the whole An cat Dubh/The Ocean debate has proven anything is that playing more obscure material which some of you seem to like actually kills the mood. You'd think that exhorbitantly high ticket pricing would drive out the casual 'I only own the greatest hits CD's' crowd but apperently it doesn't. So we must continue to live with the greatest hits setlists.

Said a lot better than I tried to put it earlier :up:.

Angela

All the "Boy" stuff can Stay. I didn’t hear any of it performed live the first time around.

"Gone":

1. PINTNOL just needs to go.
2. Bullet...Sky (though I love Edge's guitar).
3. Running to Stand Still (yawn). Heartland would be a better tribute to the troops.

"I Still Haven’t Found What I'm Looking For":

1. Walk On (best track on their last album)
2. Gone (sounds great live and we should have at least something from “Pop”)
3. Electrical Storm (not sure how they'd pull it off though). Ultraviolet was a great studio track too but sounded crappy live.

“Streets” and WOWY are the only songs I care to hear off of JT consistently. UTEOTW needs to be part of the main setlist EVERY night for heaven's sake!

I don't care about audience reaction.. listening to the Chicago 4 boot it's Bono that ruins The Ocean. He kills that song by talking the whole time. And then "how do we end this?"! I wouldn't be surprised or bothered if they dropped it with this kind of treatment.

are you kidding?

1. THE OCEAN
I have never seen a U2 concert (and I've been to six of them now) lose so much energy in under two minutes, and that includes when the house lights come on after the show. Quit playing this damn song!

2. YAHWEH
It's becoming more and more obvious that Original Of The Species is a much better choice to be played just before "40", and frankly, fellas, this song isn't very good. Quit playing this damn song!

3. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
I've seen this song played five times, and only liked it twice. The two times I liked it, it was because it kicked in right after Vertigo. So unless you're going to start playing it after Vertigo every night...quit playing this damn song!

Add on as you like...

Is this your first U2 tour?

I've seen them 40+ times since 1985. If you had any understanding of U2, you would want to hear as many NEW songs as possible. As you notice once the next tour comes, you are very uinlikely to hear them ever again! I saw Zoo Tour like 12 times. I don't ever need to hear anything off it again. The Ocean to me is fantastic, a rare gem that hasn't been played since 1981.

In all the years of seeing them I only heard Two Hearts once!!
Bring that back! But don't dump the new stuff, dump any old "radio hits"

Stuck In A Moment to replace ABOY

NYD to occasionally be replaced by ISHF, Kite, AIWIY, Stay.

Pride replaced by WOWY, SATS, WUDM, Mofo, She's A Mystery.

Walk On after Bad to replace 40 would be sweet too. :wink:

Last edited:
i never thought i would say this, but after seeing the first chicago show, i think that streets has to go. its a shame because it's been my favorite live song of all time, but i think the whole africa thing just kills it. i found myself just standing there during this song. it was such a downer compared to elevation tour and popmart. unless they bring back a better preceeder than 'pride', the red atmosphere and the full on lights after the build, it needs to go.

replace it with the unforgettable fire.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom