The official let's retire Elevation thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ihavefollowed said:
Elevation shouldn't be played on the grounds that it has the single worst stanza in any U2 song:

Oh, I don't know about that. Allow me to introduce you to New York:

In New York summers get hot, well into the hundreds
You can't walk around the block without a change of clothing
Hot as a hairdryer in your face
Hot as a handbag and a can of mace

What the hell is Bono doing singing about hairydryers? Seriously, that's not a word that should ever be uttered in a rock song.

Last edited:
I love Elevation, unabashedly.

It's sexy without being dark in the least, it's earthy but dressed in leather, it's cheeky but earnest at once.
It's got a tantric vibe, that gets played up so nicely in the bollywood-y version on "Seven".
When that mole is digging in the hole, digging up my soul now, going down, it just reminds me too of images of the buddha with a hand on the soil, steadying and grounding himself. It's psychedlic and funky and fun ( I still sometimes flash on the line from Young Frankenstein where Gene Wilder yells to Terri Garr in her hot nightie, OK, elevate me!...and she deadpans 'here? now?"). It touches subtly on a bazillion u2 themes, very sensually but loudly...
I surehope they keep it in for the whole tour!
I love Walk On, and like Stuck in a Moment too, but I think of the ATYCLB songs it's a great one to include!
cheers all..

the song is KILLER live! oh man, the whole crowd shouting the woohoos, Edge's huge power chords and the whole solo. . . it's a great live song

I'm another thats all for elevation!

Quit whining!

The band have had a laugh at themselves for not getting it quite right, but I think Vertigo's elevation sounds promising.

I'm not sure quite what's wrong with it - I haven't been at the shows but I'm loving the first verse/chorus with just Edge, Bono and a few thousand "woo-hoo"ers.

Stick with it!

woooooooo:heart:hoooooooo!

ELL! AH! VAY! SHON!

:rockon:

indiekid said:

I'm not sure quite what's wrong with it - I haven't been at the shows but I'm loving the first verse/chorus with just Edge, Bono and a few thousand "woo-hoo"ers.

Stick with it!

woooooooo:heart:hoooooooo!

ELL! AH! VAY! SHON!

:rockon:

yeah, the crowd got really into the 'woohoos' , it was great. and while Edge was playing the intro, Bono took a sign from someone in the ellipse. it was a paper cutout of a lemon that said "LA Vation" on it. . . pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom