The Ocean was performed tonight, April 6th 2005...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good to see. but i'd like to see the older more unfamilar u2 songs further down the setlist rather than 3rd and 4th. I'm also glad COBL opened the show.

there is like 2 songs max in rotation, everything off Bomb, Leave Behind, War, Unforgettable, Achtung hasn't changed in 6 shows except mysterious ways was not played in SD...

the encores are exact same 6 songs exact order, every night except ANA 1 (when they played like 2 sets it seemed, without encore really)

jrjunior31 said:
there is like 2 songs max in rotation, everything off Bomb, Leave Behind, War, Unforgettable, Achtung hasn't changed in 6 shows except mysterious ways was not played in SD...

the encores are exact same 6 songs exact order, every night except ANA 1 (when they played like 2 sets it seemed, without encore really)

Right. There's a quote where Bono says they want to get settled down and comfortable with a set before they do any serious changing.

I absolutely can't believe they played The Ocean. Awesome stuff! One of the first album songs ever cut from the set. Nice to see it back!

I've been to 4 of the 6, ANA 1 and LA 1 were better than SD (I guess that would always be the way the beginning of a tour would work out)....

But for whoever went to ANA 2 and LA1 I mean they played the identical set...

that must have been a little disappointing....

it seems the ideal way is to see them maybe 4 times on the tour if you can mange it ( but to try and space out your shows) wouldnt it be nice if we could all jsut tidily arrange for that?

What time did they post the setlist...before U2 even took the stage?? Certainly before they finished as I believe this show is still in progress.

Edit: According to the time of the first post in this thread...U2.com put up the setlist at least as early as 8:30 PM local time in LA??

Last edited:
The Ocean: last played in Stockholm, December 15th 1982, according to U2tours.com

Wow, "The Ocean"? :hmm: Can't wait to check that out!

As for changing setlists... They seem to have different setlist "versions." I saw a fan photo at U2log.com where Bono was signing an official setlist, and it was labeled "Version 2.0." Makes you wonder how many versions they're going to play around with... And like Axver said, once they're really comfortable with the routine, I'm sure they'll start throwing a few more surprises in. As if they aren't already! LOL

djerdap said:
The Ocean: last played in Stockholm, December 15th 1982, according to U2tours.com

Yep, that's what we've got over at u2-vertigo-tour.com too. I would be certain they played it at the last three concerts of that year too, but we've got no setlists ...

The Ocean huh? doesn't exactly seem like a song I'd want to hear live. I love Boy, but thats a forgettable song.

Maybe they should throw in 4th of July also :huh:

Yeah, I have to say it's super-cool, that they're throwing in Boy songs, but why go with the worst ones? (An Cath Dub and The Ocean are the songs I always skip on Boy...).

I think it's hard enough on most of the crowd to play almost unkown songs, at least they should stick with dynamic ones (Electric Co., Gloria, Out of Control, maybe Stories for Boy, Twilight...)

Great that they played it, but we're talking a good, short song, not the highlight of a show.

You are all nuts! If a few months ago you thought that U2 would be whipping outt racks like the Ocean, yuo would have been beside yourselfs! But now that there actually throwing us some oldie album cuts, people still complain!

sheesh....:huh:

BonoFan78 said:
The Ocean huh? doesn't exactly seem like a song I'd want to hear live. I love Boy, but thats a forgettable song.

I love this quote b/c "The Ocean" is one of the Boy songs that I actually put on a mixed tape (circa 1997) encompassing the 1st 20 years of the band.

It's about time U2 begins to perform slightly obscure songs once in awhile...WHY NOT. I'm so damn happy they haven't played I Will Follow yet. Now let's step up a bit boys and bring back Tomorrow, The Unforgettable Fire, Exit, Bad, Acrobat, Gone, and a few interesting covers.

They could play the entire catalog including b-sides and covers and I swear to God someone would start a thread to complain.
You people could ruin anything with complaints.
Bono could hand out $100 bills dipped in chocolate and you'd whine.
We complained forever about them not playing old songs so now we get old songs and it isn't enough.
The tour was planned and Edge's life had a little prolem that almost cancelled the show. They pulledit off with what I bet is far less rehearsal than what was oriinally planned so the first leg is in essence a rehearsal on the road.
I'm sure a lot more songs will be making appearnces in this ever-morphing setlist so everyone just relax.

BonoFan78 said:

Sorry if ya'll think this is complaining. Maybe i need to clarify...

I think it's a very strange song choice...
1) Musically, it's a somber and depressing song, and it would seem to be a mood killer, especially following Electric Co, especially for casual fans that may not even know the song. (although i wasn't at the show so i dont know for certain). If they are gonna play lesser known material, make it a song that will keep the frenzy going from song to song.

2) If it was a standalone song (and didnt lead into another song the way AnCatdubh leads to Into the Heart), that would be strange to me. When I think the Ocean.. i think a day without me.

3) If you listed their entire catalog and ranked the songs you would want to hear live, The Ocean might very well rank in most fan's bottom 10-15%. I'm an avid fan, (my friends would consider me an obsessed nut), and i guess unfortunately, this would be the case for me. It's just a little bland for my taste.

I would think it would be a novelty to hear it on tour, because it has been a long time since it was last played.

I am very happy that U2 are mixing up the setlist. I bought tickets to 4 shows so far, hoping this would be the case. I just hope them playing The Ocean signifies that there will soon be appearances of MANY other songs they haven' yet played this tour, or in a long while.... Unforgettable Fire, Bad, One Tree Hill, A Sort Of Homecoming, Ultraviolet, God Part II, Exit, hawkmoon 269, Who's gonna ride your wild horses... songs that I would go nuts if i FINALLY heard them live.

I've been following the setlist each night of the tour, and knowing that they change things up is exciting. You use it as a gauge to see what they might play when they are in your city.

But if you see a song like The Ocean appear on the tour before songs you love, songs that have great meaning to you, or songs that just flat out kick ass.. you can't help but naturally be a little puzzled.

BonoFan78 said:

Sorry if ya'll think this is complaining. Maybe i need to clarify...

I think it's a very strange song choice...
1) Musically, it's a somber and depressing song, and it would seem to be a mood killer, especially following Electric Co, especially for casual fans that may not even know the song. (although i wasn't at the show so i dont know for certain). If they are gonna play lesser known material, make it a song that will keep the frenzy going from song to song.

2) If it was a standalone song (and didnt lead into another song the way AnCatdubh leads to Into the Heart), that would be strange to me. When I think the Ocean.. i think a day without me.

3) If you listed their entire catalog and ranked the songs you would want to hear live, The Ocean might very well rank in most fan's bottom 10-15%. I'm an avid fan, (my friends would consider me an obsessed nut), and i guess unfortunately, this would be the case for me. It's just a little bland for my taste.

I would think it would be a novelty to hear it on tour, because it has been a long time since it was last played.

I am very happy that U2 are mixing up the setlist. I bought tickets to 4 shows so far, hoping this would be the case. I just hope them playing The Ocean signifies that there will soon be appearances of MANY other songs they haven' yet played this tour, or in a long while.... Unforgettable Fire, Bad, One Tree Hill, A Sort Of Homecoming, Ultraviolet, God Part II, Exit, hawkmoon 269, Who's gonna ride your wild horses... songs that I would go nuts if i FINALLY heard them live.

I've been following the setlist each night of the tour, and knowing that they change things up is exciting. You use it as a gauge to see what they might play when they are in your city.

But if you see a song like The Ocean appear on the tour before songs you love, songs that have great meaning to you, or songs that just flat out kick ass.. you can't help but naturally be a little puzzled.

Excellent post :up:

At first, I was surprised by the choice of The Ocean - and I still think it's a bit naked without 11 O'clock Tick Tock before or after - but it makes sense thematically. Boy was an album of innocence, and The Ocean pretty perfectly epitomises this, and they've said HTDAAB is a return to innocence. So I think it makes sense that way.

But c'mon, make the encore 11 O'clock Tick Tock --> The Ocean --> 40!

Iskra said:
Bono could hand out $100 bills dipped in chocolate and you'd whine.

:lol: Actually the complaint would be. Why wasnt it $200??? OR He should have handed out elipse passes instead!! THAT BASTARD!! ;)

Criticism is fine, and I dont think most of this thread is that inflammatory compared to alot of others lately. But I know the place you are coming from. This is suppose to be one of the best times of being a U2 fan and there seems to be alot of people that cant accept or enjoy that. :shrug: Each their own.

oceane said:

I think it's hard enough on most of the crowd to play almost unkown songs, at least they should stick with dynamic ones (Electric Co., Gloria, Out of Control, maybe Stories for Boy, Twilight...)

its all a matter or opinion. someone will always be unhappy, so they pick the songs they want to play. personally i hope to hear an cat dubh/into the heart over any of the others from boy when i see them.

I was there last night and I can tell you that The Ocean was unbelievable. It was certainly not somber or depressing. It was tacked on the heels of Electric Co (which was the best version I've heard this tour IMO) and then The Ocean was just an incredibly hypnotic floating moment. Even cooler was seeing the four in a tight circle playing it like it was a rehearsal jam. A greast, great unexpected moment. Bravo!

I must say I am compleltely baffled anyone would have a problem with The Ocean or An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart. These are some of the band's most remarkable works - timeless stuff. Evidence this band was light years ahead of their peers when Boy was released.

Even if someone found An Cat Dubh not their cup of tea, just enjoy Edge's playing -- some of his best ever. It's hard now, over 25 years later to consider it in context but Boy is easily one of the most extraordinary debut records of all time. It's no wonder the band has come to find a connection with it now.

Back
Top Bottom