The lack of 40 now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
It seems the band has been playing Bad instead of 40, but uses 40 as a snippet...

Is this because people don't recognize 40, or 40 doesn't get that great of a reaction, or what can it be?

I think people were expecting a longer song to close the show, (hence the applause) so I think that's why they went with Bad.

I've heard it both ways now...and finishing with Bad and 40 as a snippet is awesome and moving...although both songs are awesome..finishing with Bad is just incredible! In my silly opinion anyway.

The band was great all 3 nights I saw them (Chicago 5/10&5/12, Phila 5/22) The best night was 5/12...powerful. 5/10 they were taping the dvd and gma and they sounded impecable but they toned down the interaction with the crowd...5/12 they seemed to let loose a little more....5/22 was total fun with the crowd....in u2.com's article on 5/22 the author says that bono said,"thats philly for ya" because of the loudness...it was because someone threw something up on the stage that just flew past him. But the crowd was really loud and into it....the tattoo boy was great...Bono said "see the tattooed boy right in front of me" during beautiful day..."see china right.....

It was a great night....waiting for october now

I was just gonna post my thoughts on 40 which might get me banned for blasphemy.

I think it's a great song.......

But I think it should be dropped. Leading up to my trip to Chicago, I was so excited that I'd have the chance to hear it live. But in reality it was pretty overrated and didn't have the spark I see when I watch bootleg dvd's from the 80's. It might be that the crowd doesn't know it...I dunno. I didn't get a chance to see "Bad" as a closer, but between chicago 2 and 3, I thought Vertigo being played twice was a much better closer than "40."

Vertigo would certainly leave the crowd on a huge high,

rather than 40, which is a great song for U2 comaradery, but tends to fizzle out once the crowd realises it's all over.

Still not 100% about them playing vertigo twice though,

The second run through of Vertigo at Meadowlands 1 was absolutely incredible.

Meadowlands 1 was my 15th time seeing them which started in 1983 @ New Haven Coliseum in New Haven CT. I've seen 40 enough times but can't seem to get enough of Bad.

ImOuttaControl said:
I was just gonna post my thoughts on 40 which might get me banned for blasphemy.

I think it's a great song.......

But I think it should be dropped. Leading up to my trip to Chicago, I was so excited that I'd have the chance to hear it live. But in reality it was pretty overrated and didn't have the spark I see when I watch bootleg dvd's from the 80's. It might be that the crowd doesn't know it...I dunno. I didn't get a chance to see "Bad" as a closer, but between chicago 2 and 3, I thought Vertigo being played twice was a much better closer than "40."

i agree :up:

At Chi 1 I got Bad in the main set (after RTSS) and 40 to close, and it was cool for me who'd only heard the legend of that closer...it apparently was also a rare night when the audience did as it was supposed to for that to work well...and the beauty of it is undeniable, when the guys leave one by one, then the audience is left singing til the house lights come up...
Still, it does feel ever so slightly a letdown in terms of it being a big-bang band moment before sending us out into the cold.
I think I prefer Bad in the set itself to closing, and would love to experience a second Vertigo to close!!!

cheers...

Last edited:
That's pretty special especially looking over the setlists lately. You are right on another point also about having a full shot of Bad then come back with a second Vertigo.

I'm going to Boston #2, so I hope to get to see Bad. The versions that were the best from way back when during UF Tour and JT tour was the long drawn out versions where Bad was about 10 -12 minutes long. I also see a snippet was played of Ultra Violet last concert, other then Acrobat that's the song I want to hear at least once. I saw five Zoo TV shows and that song being one of my favorites was absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!

Vertigo should be a reprise, not the full song. That would be kinda cool, just like the Beatles had their reprise of "Sgt. Peppers"

Back
Top Bottom