the first concert in how long not to include UTTEOTW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
has there been a show till now where they didn't play it since 91?

just curious...

everything else was also skipped that night as there was no concert, so i don't know if that counts ;)

SkeeK said:
everything else was also skipped that night as there was no concert, so i don't know if that counts ;)

My typing rocks today. :wink:

13 MAY 2001, not March!

It should take Elevation's place, then it would be the perfect setlist. Sides for my favourite piece of music ever missing, the setlist was perfect. :drool:

Roland of Gilead said:
For a set that didn't have End of the World/Bad/Gone/Mysterious Ways/Walk On/Kite/I Will Follow it damn well looks fantastic! :drool:

Very very true.:)

Roland of Gilead said:
For a set that didn't have End of the World/Bad/Gone/Mysterious Ways/Walk On/Kite/I Will Follow it damn well looks fantastic! :drool:

That really does vividly illustrate the depth and diversity of U2's catalogue.

No, not Stay. Never was that great live. Like with all of Zooropa, the studio versions are superior.

God Part III said:
No, not Stay. Never was that great live. Like with all of Zooropa, the studio versions are superior.

Well, yes that is true, but I felt I owed it to speak up for Zooropa being represented live.

God Part III said:

Yeah, right.
Dirty Day is one of the most improved songs live ever by U2. Same goes for Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car.
Lemon also quite worked live.

Boystuff

I would love it when they would bring up an cat dubh one night and say twilight the second. Same with UTEOTW, mix it up with Elevation.

Roland of Gilead said:

"Mysterious Ways" BLOWS people!!!!! Yeah, the studio version and 67 remixes are fine, but the live version is so damn boring.......

BigMacPhisto said:

"Mysterious Ways" BLOWS people!!!!! Yeah, the studio version and 67 remixes are fine, but the live version is so damn boring.......

Honestly, I think you are completely and totally wrong there. I can barely listen to the studio Mysterious Ways now because the live version is so much superior, with the solo and everything. It's absolute brilliance and shows U2 are masters of their art.

More like masters of RUINING their art! :wink: I'm sorry, but the only track that would get me less excited would be "Pride", which I also don't think is a good live track.

BigMacPhisto said:
More like masters of RUINING their art! :wink: I'm sorry, but the only track that would get me less excited would be "Pride", which I also don't think is a good live track.

Pride, I can agree with you about. I do enjoy the eighties versions - a few of which I feel are better than the studio version - but in general, it's really quite weak and I hope it gets cut from the setlist. That said, if I were there, I'd be screaming out "in the naaaaaame of looooooooove" and having the time of my life!

Axver said:

My typing rocks today. :wink:

13 MAY 2001, not March!

I was at that show and didnt miss it one bit. I'm one of those that could care less either way if it gets played. I thought the R N R Hall Of Fame performance of it was decent. They key for me with this song is Edge's riff needs to stand out or it loses its power. Some of the recent versions of the song his mix has been muddy on it. Popmart especially, I dont care for it when that is the case.

I also dont need to see the bull fight routine for the 3rd tour in a row. That is getting stale. If they just play it, and play it like they did at the Hall Of Fame then I wouldnt mind so much. Play it instead of New Years Day, that song doesnt do anything for me any longer (I know, its a hit, general fans love it, I understand that and accept that, I could do without it though personally)

Axver said:
Pride, I can agree with you about. I do enjoy the eighties versions - a few of which I feel are better than the studio version - but in general, it's really quite weak and I hope it gets cut from the setlist. That said, if I were there, I'd be screaming out "in the naaaaaame of looooooooove" and having the time of my life!

:wink: Same here, but I'm sure it's a bit of a bore to folks that have been to U2 shows before.

djerdap said:

Yeah, right.
Dirty Day is one of the most improved songs live ever by U2. Same goes for Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car.
Lemon also quite worked live.

100%, Completely, Totally, Whole-heartedly agree with you.

Daddy's Gonna Pay just doesn't sound quite the same when listening to Zooropa ever since I've seen ZooTV Live From Sydney, though it's still an awesome track. And my favourite part in Lemon from the Sydney video:

"Midnight... MID-night... MIDNI-GHT... is where the day begins."

So to summarize: my toughts exact. :applaud:

BigMacPhisto said:

:wink: Same here, but I'm sure it's a bit of a bore to folks that have been to U2 shows before.

Maybe, but I'm the kind of person who'd love anything. OK, so I'm yet to see U2, but I know what I can be like. After all, I can read Popmart sets (I find it the most boring tour, setlist-wise) time and time again. I say they're boring, but I still love them ...

ZooTV and PopMart IMO were their most static setlist tours, PopMart in particular, only like a handful of songs changed out in the lists i've read, and Zoo didn't really change that much until the Zooropa/Zoomerang part of the tour I think

:rockon:BOTH SHOWS STILL ROCK THO:rockon:

BigMacPhisto said:

It worked extremely well on Zoo TV.

BigMacPhisto said:

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and believe me, I am well aware that music is subjective, but this is just wrong.
How can anybody say the live version of Mysterious Ways is boring and inferior to the studio version is beyond me.

Ok, the Zoo TV and Popmart versions are both VERY kickass....but on the Elevation tour, it was easily the dullest song out there.

I think Stay live is exquisite. very different fromt he album version, but still very worthwhile.

THe whole audience singing along to the "oh oh oooo oo ooo oh"s is one of those awesome moments

Blue Room said:

I was at that show and didnt miss it one bit.

I was at the show as well and really missed hearing it. I thought the show lacked the interplay between Bono and the Edge and UTEOTW is the pinnacle of that.

If it doesn't show up tonight...I don't think we'll hear it again until the return leg to the States.

Back
Top Bottom