"Streets"...Confirm the changes!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In2U2

The Fly
I heard that U2 have dropped the classic red background for the song and replaced it with African flags.

I also heard that they have STOPPED using the bright lights on the crowd during the opening build up (but only use them after the 2nd chorus).

Is this true?!?!

I can handle the red backdrop change... but those bright lights hitting the crowd at the opening is my favorite defining live moment between all the fans and the band!

I've noticed on all the recordings of "Streets" out there that when Larry's drums come building up....the crowd doesn't let out that roar that I've come to know and love.

If any of you have seen the show....

say it ain't so!!!

From What I've noticed.....You can't really tell from the Recordings.
Love And Peace really rocks live, It still sounds great hearing it back, but not as good as being there.

Stingray...have you gone to the shows? Is it true!?!?!

I love that blast of bright lights and the roar of the crowd at the intro. to "Streets"....the band have to know what a magical moment that is for the crowd. Of all the things to change!?!?

:sad:

sometimes I wonder what is going on in this band's head.

not having the red backdrop and lights go on at the 1st buildup is like ordering a beer at a bar and getting served luke-warm chicken stock instead.

bono_man2002 said:
I think you mean ordering a Beer at the Bar and getting to your seat as Larry finishes drumming in "40"

yes, that scenario is equally terrible.

bono_man2002 said:
I think you mean ordering a Beer at the Bar and getting to your seat as Larry finishes drumming in "40"

yes, that scenario is equally terrible.

however I was speaking of any general bar situation; not ordering a beer specifically at a u2 show, where, in fact, there are no bars, just concession stands.

see, imagine going to a bar on a great summer night when you've got friends/lovers/ whatever at helm and feeling great and you're about to get the party started by quenching your thirst and all of a sudden......luke-warm chicken stock.

*it's my analogy.....brau and headache will back me up on it*:madspit:

yeah i was at the opener and it was pretty odd to see streets without the blazing lights at the beginning

i was all ready for it, then it didnt come and it was sort of a let down

i was at the opening show, too, and it was the same thing... disappointing to not have the bright lights at the start. but at least they're there halfway through... :)

I know that Streets was written about Ethiopia, but I also know that it's a travesty that the song isn't being played with a Red background.

Maybe they'll add Crumbs From Your Table to the setlist, switch the whole African flag thingy over to that, and do Streets like it's supposed to be.

Can you imagine how cool Streets would be with the curtain of lights? :drool:

*Ally* said:
i was at the opening show, too, and it was the same thing... disappointing to not have the bright lights at the start. but at least they're there halfway through... :)

i think i was right behind you

And why isn't Bono wearing a cowboy hat and vest, not to mention a ponytail? And Edge should wear that sleeveless checked shirt!

These are unassailable hallmarks of U2 at their best. Every concertgoer deserves to experience those things, along with the red background and bright lights and the Joy Division lyrics in With or Without You and Bono appearing as MacPhisto.

These are basic human rights, just like in the video during the concert.

I'm all for trying new things, but you try new things to make it better. If it cuts the crowd intensity in half, then maybe you should rethink what you are doing.

broken toy said:
And why isn't Bono wearing a cowboy hat and vest, not to mention a ponytail? And Edge should wear that sleeveless checked shirt!

These are unassailable hallmarks of U2 at their best. Every concertgoer deserves to experience those things, along with the red background and bright lights and the Joy Division lyrics in With or Without You and Bono appearing as MacPhisto.

These are basic human rights, just like in the video during the concert.

and bring back adams afro damnit

I'm all for new things and think from what I've seen, the new tour kicks ass. But STREETS is a dissapointment to me, bring back the red lights and house lights in the beginning.

Said it before....18 years, has always been one of the biggest moments of the show. Why change it?

I don't know how they put out Boston DVD and saw that amazing display, and then switch it up for this tour.

It figures that for my first U2 show ever they decide to switch up what has been a concert staple and crowd favorite for the past 18 years which also happens to be the one moment in the show I've been looking forward to most for the past 4 years. Yeah, I have awesome luck. :|

Lancemc said:
It figures that for my first U2 show ever they decide to switch up what has been a concert staple and crowd favorite for the past 18 years which also happens to be the one moment in the show I've been looking forward to most for the past 4 years. Yeah, I have awesome luck. :|

I have faith they will bring the lights back, they always seem to experiment with streets throughout the tour. I also hope Bono moves the Africa part to another song, as it doesn’t sound "right" at the start of streets. Just like those psalms he recited on the last tour, there were some nights he didn't.

The lighting effects aren't that big a deal to me for Streets. What kinda blows is that because for some reason, on this song only, The Edge is using a cord instead of a wireless for his guitar so he's kind stuck in his spot by his mic while Bono has been staying put also behind his mic at center stage instead of at least singing from the tip of the Ellipse (or Heart like he did on the last tour).

I think these last two shows (SD1 & Anaheim2) are the first shows as far back as I can remember where both Bono and The Edge basically stayed put at their main stage spots for the whole song. Thats what kind of takes some energy from the performance, imo. Seeing Bono start the song in the middle of the arena and take a few laps around the heart really ramped up the energy level for that song on the last tour.

However, they still play it with a lot of energy and you can tell they still dig the song, they just seem to be getting.........well, older.

T.B.

The only thing that really bugs me is that Bono seems to be getting lazy about the way he sings it. It's not like it's really because he's getting older -- his voice is stronger this tour, and he sings most other songs with a lot of strength. At first I thought he was just getting bored, and feels Streets is more of an obligation than something they want to sing.

But I think what part of the problem may be is that they are no longer playing it in a lower key, like they've always done in the past. They're now playing it in the same key as the album, which may be too much for Bono to sustain. Not sure why they're doing this. It's not like they need it to segue smoothly into or from another song -- the segue isn't that smooth this tour so far. So I'm not sure why they decided to revert to the key of the album version.

I'm really hoping they change their minds and add the opening bright house lights back into the intro to Streets!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as THE most exciting live moment!

I can't believe the band could get together with Willy and decide....

"yeah the lights really aren't working at the beginning of Streets...let's change that."

Of course the band have every right to change songs to fit the mood but I figured they enjoyed that opening as much as we did!

What better way to show equality and unity for Africa then to have everyone illuminated as one!!! :wink:

i think U2 knows, red intro, no red intro, lights crashing, no lights crashing, whatever, streets is the highlight of the show. No songs is sung louder or by more people than streets.

Do i miss the red intro, yes, do i miss psaml 116, yes. It'll come back. But i thought this tour's was great...and am glad they are not doing the same thing over and over

The lower energy level of Bono during this song (on the current tour) is a bit of a loss just like the lights not used the same way the were in the past.

Perhaps, they really want this part of the show to focus on African relief, thus, they don't want to take away from what this song means to this tour.

But I sure miss the energy and lights!!!! boy....oboy....

Although I agree that the intro could use some rework on the lighting and presentation, I'm really starting to dig the African chants that Bono sings throughout the performance. I think it really gives it an exciting new dimension.

Back
Top Bottom