Songs we will never hear live again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
While everyone has been dreaming of setlists for this upcoming tour, I thought it would be interesting to note down what songs we know will never be played live again. By this, I mean that snippets could be permitted, but the song will never appear in full, either acoustic or electric. If you post a song, offer a valid reason why it will never be played, not just "I have a gut feeling."

I'll start us off.

- Pre-Boy songs that failed to make Boy or any other form of official release. I'd love to know if U2 even remember songs such as Speed Of Life and Cartoon World.
- Another Day. Even though it was released as a single, it failed to make the Boy Tour setlist.
- Things To Make And Do and any other instrumental. TTMAD is the only instrumental U2 have ever played live, surviving as late as the October Tour. However, U2 no longer play such songs.
- Scarlet. It's barely not an instrumental and was only played once. Essentially falls into the TTMAD category.
- With A Shout (Jerusalem). I believe the band themselves have said this is the song they hate the most.
- A Celebration. It was strangely cut six shows into the War Tour and thus unlikely to ever make a comeback.
- Like A Song. Cut after one show.
- So Cruel. Only played full band once and snippeted occasionally. Hardly likely they'd return to this one.
- Zooropa. Cut after three performances.
- Babyface. Cut after five performances.
- Do You Feel Loved. Cut after six performances.
- If God Will Send His Angels. Full band cut after one performance, any performance whatsoever cut soon afterwards.

So, would anyone like to add to this list?

(Remember, don't say something like Love Rescue Me because it hasn't been played since 1990-01-10. Out Of Control wasn't played for over a decade after that show too and it's come back.)

I agree with your list overall and would also add the following:-

(1) The Unforgetable Fire - sadly, too hard to play live. I think they rarely played it live even at the time it was released.

(2) Numb - it had its place in the context of the ZooTV extragavanza, but I can't see it fitting in to any possible future concert performance.

(3) When Love Comes to Town - very much of the Rattle & Hum era, although surprisingly I think they also played it on some concerts in the ZooTV tour. My least favourite U2 track, so I hope they don't go back to playing it, even though some people love it.

(4) Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car - Very much of the ZooTV era. I could be wrong but I can't forsee this one having a place in a future live performance.

I'd love to hear them play "A Celebration" live though!

They played the hell out of The Unforgettable Fire in the 80s.

Go to U2tours.com

I found 202 shows in which it was played. Even up to the January 6, 1990 show. It was rehearsed during the Elevation tour. I'd say it has a chance :yes:

I don't see other the songs you listed, or Lemon in it's original form, being played though.

Financeguy, The Unforgettable Fire was played at every concert on the UF Tour (apart from a couple at the start) and then at almost every show for the rest of the eighties. I am pretty sure it is the third-most frequently performed song from the UF album, behind Bad and Pride. Actually, MLK might just beat it for third position, and those two songs made a wonderful live combination. I wouldn't write it off yet.

When Love Comes To Town was a b-stage regular for most of the ZooTV Tour, but appears to be gone now. I wouldn't totally write it off yet, and I feel that when BB King passes on, U2 will likely perform it in tribute to him.

Agreed on Numb and Daddy's Gonna Pay.

Wait wait... here's an idea to get Numb back again.. Miracle Drug supermedley (I know this makes NO sense thematically... The Edge sings snippets of his songs right before his line in Miracle Drug...

Bono. "God, I need your help tonight"
Crazy Guitar solo
Edge- Don't think Don't Talk Don't Run if You Can Walk
Crazy Numb guitar
Funky solo
But a day will come in this dawning age, when an honest man sees an honest wage
Twangy solo
It takes a second to say goodbye, say goodbye ...
Crazy guitar solo again
THEN... Beneath the noise, below the din...

That WOULD BE AWESOME. Never gonna happen :wink:

UnforgettableLemon said:
Wait wait... here's an idea to get Numb back again.. Miracle Drug supermedley (I know this makes NO sense thematically... The Edge sings snippets of his songs right before his line in Miracle Drug...

Bono. "God, I need your help tonight"
Crazy Guitar solo
Edge- Don't think Don't Talk Don't Run if You Can Walk
Crazy Numb guitar
Funky solo
But a day will come in this dawning age, when an honest man sees an honest wage
Twangy solo
It takes a second to say goodbye, say goodbye ...
Crazy guitar solo again
THEN... Beneath the noise, below the din...

That WOULD BE AWESOME. Never gonna happen :wink:

:lol: Ha, that is a great idea!

So you liked the One Step Closer progressive intro into Vertigo idea, you like this idea. Petition U2 to let me design the setlists an performance nuances. They should take more liberty with their songs; if they don't want to, we'll make them!!

Lemon- I seriously do not think this will ever get played again due to Bono's voice problems (from smoking). I wish I was 18 during the ZooTv tours. :sad: I'm still hoping Bono will surprise us all one day and sing it without ditching the falsettos or cutting the length of the song.

Last edited:
other than the obvious choices like old non singles, here are a few that i do not think will be played this tour:

New York
In a Little While
Zoo Station
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
Ultraviolet

streets (kidding)

it just struck me to other day how appropriate it could be to put Twilight on the set list for the upcomming tour... Edge's solo could well fit the sounds of the current album... Though, it's likely that one isn't gonna happen either...

songs that will never be played again

Axver said:
Financeguy, The Unforgettable Fire was played at every concert on the UF Tour (apart from a couple at the start) and then at almost every show for the rest of the eighties.

Apologies, I stand corrected.

sadly idt they'll ever play Lemon again, or Running to Stand Still

2 of my faves:sad:

Folks, please, some justifications?

I'd like to address a few songs that have been mentioned ...

Boy/Girl: Agreed, this one is never coming back! Unless they decide to do some crazy 'hey, we remember U2:3' thing ...
Lemon: I agree, almost no chance of this returning. It fit the ZooTV era but I cannot see it suiting any other. However, I can imagine that if they did bring it back, Edge could sing the high parts.
Zoo Station: Agreed. This is ZooTV through and through. Though there have been rumours that it has been practiced ... it would make for a very interesting return. I am very fond of LNOE/Zoo Station/Acrobat/UTEOTW. Which, of course, will never happen.
In A Little While: For this one to return, it will have to break the pattern of songs being cut from their promotional tour never being played again. In other words, not likely.
New York: I am waiting to see if they will pull this one out in New York or not. Sometimes, they play location-spacific songs - One Tree Hill always in NZ - and sometimes they don't - no Miami in Miami on Elevation.
Running To Stand Still: Surely you're kidding! This one was snippeted twice on Elevation and I think it has a FANTASTIC chance of returning. There's no reason for it to be cut. I'm actually hoping it will come before OOTS on the tour.

They are currently demolishing the notorious seven towers referenced in "Running to Stand Still" - "I see seven towers but I only see one way out."

If only for this reason I think there's a reasonable chance we'll hear the song at some stage in the forthcoming tour.

financeguy said:
They are currently demolishing the notorious seven towers referenced in "Running to Stand Still" - "I see seven towers but I only see one way out."

If only for this reason I think there's a reasonable chance we'll hear the song at some stage in the forthcoming tour.

Ah, really? Well then, yes, I can imagine we might see it, perhaps with modified lyrics.

Here's a list I truly think will never be played anymore (or never)

The Ocean
Shadows and Tall Trees
Tomorrow
Red Light
The Refugee
Indian Summer Sky
Elvis Presley and America
Promenade
Trip Through Your Wires
Heartland
Acrobat
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The Wanderer
The Playboy Mansion

And some B-sides and others like:

Never let me go
Walk to the water
Luminous times
Summer rain
Always
Holy Joe
Big girls are best

If any of this list is played, I would be very very very surprised!

Back
Top Bottom