Songs for the Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
What does everyone want or suspect for songs in the upcoming 05 tour?

Here's my take;
Basing on Elevation Tour Logic, these are the songs I think will appear.

4 songs from the new Album;

Vertigo, Full Metal Jacket, All because of you, Miracle Drug

1 Song from ATYCLB;
Probably; "When I look at the World"

I also suspect that we'll hear classics such as Pride and New Years Day because we never had these on the Elevation Tour.

Streets is a must=every tour has it.

They will do more from the POP and Achtung Baby albums = Discotheque, Staring at the Sun, Do you feel loved
Even better than the real thing, Hold me, thrill me etc. ,

I suspect they will also do Electrical Storm, Hands that Built America.

I hope they do: Sort of Homecoming, heartland, Like a Song.

We'll see.

What does everyone think?

I hope the majority of songs are from the new album and then whatever else "fits". That's the way they've done it in the past, but I've got a funny feeling there'll be more than 4 songs from the new CD and just one from ATYCLB!

Until we've heard the new album, who knows. But one thing I like about U2 is that they will give the new songs a chance and play a lot of them if they work. Especially by the time they get to Europe.

this will make for great converstaion but not until we hear the new material

boosterjuice -
"I also suspect that we'll hear classics such as Pride and New Years Day because we never had these on the Elevation Tour. "

What? Pride and NYD was played several times on the ET?!
Or am I just confused?:huh:
Or was it America you where reffering to?

The_Edge89 said:
boosterjuice -
"I also suspect that we'll hear classics such as Pride and New Years Day because we never had these on the Elevation Tour. "

What? Pride and NYD was played several times on the ET?!
Or am I just confused?:huh:
Or was it America you where reffering to?

Pride and NYD weren't played on most of the American leg of the Elevation Tour. These songs also wern't on the Boston DVD. However, these songs were played at Slane Castle.

:confused:

Pride was played virtually on whole tour since I think Calgary dates first leg on Elevation. New Years day was played probably over 95% of the time, being replaced only a few times by Mysterious ways or Discotheque/Staring at the sun combo. (see www.U2setlists.com)

Based on previous tours logic, 7-8 song from new album and about 15 older ones.

Judging by JT and AB's amount of songs I think we could see 4 ATYCLB songs in the set. Beautiful day, New York, Stuck in a moment and Kite IMO.

I don't think they will bring any more AB or POP songs...then again Bono was saying something about varying setlists.

I agree, Electrical storm will definitely get played, Hands that built America I'm not so sure...maybe just a few times only Bono and Edge acoustic.

I hope they continue the trend of Elevation where they brought so many previously unplayed songs, while also playing lots of 90's songs as well as the obligatory hits.

It was interesting how they played WOWY on the first two legs and only brought up I still haven't found... on the last leg.

Last edited:
I think Walk On and One are still the encore numbers on the new tour. Before these numbers they will play WOWY and Miracle Drug. Mark my words...

Here's my theory:

7 new songs(give or take a few each night)

gotta play:
Streets
Bullet
NYD
Pride
SBS
WOWY
One

replace eachother nightly:

-even better/Fly
-Beautiful Day/elevation like 25% of the time
-I will follow
-Out of control/11 O'clock tick tock
-mysterious ways/discotheque
-Gone/new york
-Unforgettable Fire/A sort of homecoming
and the all I want is you/bad

Acoustic set:
SATS/stay/people get ready/desire/still haven't found/ground beneath her feet about 10% of time

about 22 songs nightly.

I'm tiring of all this speculation ...

Pride and NYD missed practically no shows on Elevation. They were played at Boston but not put on the DVD. More than four songs from ATYCLB were played nightly (six at least - Elevation, BD, Stuck, Kite, IALW, Walk On).

Songs such as Do You Feel Loved and Like A Song have NO CHANCE. If it hasn't been played regularly yet, it won't ever be played again. Those songs were played six times and once respectively. Quit dreaming. If it has never been played - i.e. Heartland - it NEVER WILL BE.

When I Look At The World as the only song off ATYCLB? Are you mad? They've only snippeted that, and once only. It's never being played. And they would not ever cut Beautiful Day.

Axver said:
I'm tiring of all this speculation ...

Pride and NYD missed practically no shows on Elevation. They were played at Boston but not put on the DVD. More than four songs from ATYCLB were played nightly (six at least - Elevation, BD, Stuck, Kite, IALW, Walk On).

Songs such as Do You Feel Loved and Like A Song have NO CHANCE. If it hasn't been played regularly yet, it won't ever be played again. Those songs were played six times and once respectively. Quit dreaming. If it has never been played - i.e. Heartland - it NEVER WILL BE.

When I Look At The World as the only song off ATYCLB? Are you mad? They've only snippeted that, and once only. It's never being played. And they would not ever cut Beautiful Day.

I'm not mad!

I guess I was wrong about Pride & NYD. I went to the Calgary show and they never played it. It also failed the Boston DVD cut so I naturally assumed they never played these on tour.

As far as Do you Feel loved/Like a Song. Yah, they do have a chance. U2 includes a few non-popular songs in their setlists a al Gone & Wake up dead Man from the Boston DVD. So, I'm expecting some silimilar songs to these.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beautiful Day wasn't on the tour. Yah, it's a great song and all but U2 never did staple songs on the Elevation tour from the POP Album. They didn't do Discotheque, Starring at the Sun or other hits from the POP Album. This leads me to believe that they will understand that Beautiful Day has been overplayed.

For a guy who loves the POP album, I think we've seen the last of the performances of that album. Maybe a "Staring at the Sun" here and there, and probably a "Gone" once every few shows, but thats it. If they play ANYTHING else, I would be surprised. They played "Discotheque" a few times and it never went across well, with the heart shaped stage and the stripped down tour, it was better served on the super-presentation of Popmart. Sorry, my fellow POP lovers, I feel your pain.

As for the new tour, I think they will open up with a few rockers like "Vertigo" and "Full Metal Jacket", and then play a few older tunes like "UTEOTW", "SBS", or "New Years Day." Playing UTEOTW and then following with NYD has become a staple in u2 shows, and I love it. Basically their gonna play about 5-6 fast tracks, and then Bono will make his hello speech, then kick into 2 ballad songs, one of which will be "Miracle Drug." Maybe this is where "Kite" and "Stuck" can make an occasional cameo.

After, they play a few more of the new tunes, maybe songs like "Beautiful Day". Then of course, the acoustic set. I don't think they will do the band intros like the first and second leg of Elevation tour. I always thought "electrical storm" would be done beautifully acoustic, but if they play the full out version, thats kick ass too, but dont do the Orbit mix. Toward the end, they will play the older classics like "Streets" and "Pride."

As for the encore, "One" and "WOWY" as well as another song from the new record. My wish would be if they chose the encore to do ONE song every night that they never play. One night do "Ultraviolet", do "Exit", do "Electric Co." But that wont be happening....I think they play "Walk On" here and there maybe, but not regularly. I think the structure will be a lot like Elevation tour, thats my predictions.

boosterjuice said:
I guess I was wrong about Pride & NYD. I went to the Calgary show and they never played it. It also failed the Boston DVD cut so I naturally assumed they never played these on tour.

According to the setlists (night one and night two), NYD was played both nights on Pride was played once ...

As far as Do you Feel loved/Like a Song. Yah, they do have a chance. U2 includes a few non-popular songs in their setlists a al Gone & Wake up dead Man from the Boston DVD. So, I'm expecting some silimilar songs to these.

Don't kid yourself. 'Non-popular songs'? Yeah, as long as they have been played regularly! WUDM was played at almost every Popmart show, Gone was played at ALL of them, and both featured in a good proportion of Elevation shows. They aren't going to start playing some song they only played ONCE in 1983. They obviously decided it wouldn't work. U2 are only going to play songs they feel work well live, i.e. those that have been played regularly. So any songs they return to will be songs they played a lot in the past, such as Gloria or 11 O'clock Tick Tock.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beautiful Day wasn't on the tour. Yah, it's a great song and all but U2 never did staple songs on the Elevation tour from the POP Album.

You're ignoring relative popularity here. EVERYONE knows Beautiful Day. People (as in casual fans, not fanatics) don't go to U2 concerts to hear Discotheque, they go to hear the majorly popular songs, such as WOWY and Streets. Beautiful Day is one of those majorly popular songs and I will bet you $100 right now that it will be played on at least the next two tours. Pop was not an overly popular album in the mainstream and its songs did not fit with the theme of the Elevation Tour.

By the way, the following songs from Pop were played regularly on Elevation: Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Gone, Please, Wake Up Dead Man. That's five songs that survived. Only FOUR survived from Achtung Baby on Popmart (Even Better Than The Real Thing, One, Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways).

Axver said:

By the way, the following songs from Pop were played regularly on Elevation: Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Gone, Please, Wake Up Dead Man. That's five songs that survived. Only FOUR survived from Achtung Baby on Popmart (Even Better Than The Real Thing, One, Until The End Of The World, Mysterious Ways).

But Wake up dead man was not played in full, only first 2 verses (like the Boston show?) and only Bono played guitar.
True, but also, The fly came back on Elevation tour and Bono would add a snippet of Who's gonna ride your wild horses on some of Bad versions on the last leg. (I recall reading on U2tours.com that he once added a few lines of Love is blindness at the end of One)

U2girl said:

But Wake up dead man was not played in full, only first 2 verses (like the Boston show?) and only Bono played guitar.
True, but also, The fly came back on Elevation tour and Bono would add a snippet of Who's gonna ride your wild horses on some of Bad versions on the last leg. (I recall reading on U2tours.com that he once added a few lines of Love is blindness at the end of One)

Wake Up Dead Man was never played in full and I doubt it ever will be ... really, to me, WUDM in the studio and WUDM live might as well be two different songs, because WUDM live does feel complete.

In any case, I was discussing songs lasting to the very next tour ... we could see a surprise from Pop on this tour like The Fly was on Elevation, though I wouldn't bet on it. And I'm not familiar with LIB being snippeted at the end of One. Are you perhaps thinking of Can't Help Falling In Love With You, 18 November 2001?

From the April 10 Calgary date, here are U2tours.com notes:

U2 plays a bit with the setlist tonight. Even Better... and All I Want Is You make their first appearance this tour. Pride also makes its debut and closes out the first encore. Bono adds a couple lines of 'Love Is Blindness' at the end of 'One.'

I know, I'm just saying that while 4 songs made it on Popmart from AB, it doesn't necessarily mean that only those 4 will get played - as we've seen with the Fly coming in Elevation.

Ah, now that's interesting. Elevation-tour.com doesn't note the LIB snippet ... I think I have some MP3s of that concert so I might give them a listen.

Yeah, I see your point. This tour will be very interesting because we will be able to see if U2 are going to continue the nineties pattern of setlists or start something totally new.

Back
Top Bottom