Some Setlist Change Considerations..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
Judging by the opening night setlist, I've come up with a few ideas for the band to consider for some changes:

1. If the Boy set is kept, it should be moved further back in the setlist.

2. The 'Zoo' set can be extended. For instance, following The Fly they could add UTEOTW and if somehow Acrobat is being prepared to be unveiled this tour, that can be added. Anothe possibility would be to switch the placement of the Boy set with the Zoo set, so the zoo set would be early in the show.

3. Come up with a decent segue for Streets and give Streets a red backdrop.

4. Follow LAPOE with RTSS. From there they could either do a short ATYCLB themed pair (ala Stuck/elevation) or jump right into the Zoo set.

5. Move ABOY near the front of the set. I know it sounds predictable, but maybe even follow Vertigo with ABOY. Possibly follow COBL with ABOY. If the Boy set gets moved to later in the show, start with the Boy set with Vertigo/Stories for Boys like the first show did.

6. Keep Yahweh-40, but have something else, not ABOY, lead into Yahweh.

FullonEdge2 said:

thank you. great idea. I think the "Boy" songs are good where they are. Electric Co is great as one of the opening songs, really raw and gets u jumped up. But "Cat Dubh" should be later in the set, unless they replace it with "I Will Follow," then that would be perfect where it is.

COBL/Vertigo/Electric Co/I Will Follow

awesome

Re: Re: Some Setlist Change Considerations..

RademR said:

thank you. great idea. I think the "Boy" songs are good where they are. Electric Co is great as one of the opening songs, really raw and gets u jumped up. But "Cat Dubh" should be later in the set, unless they replace it with "I Will Follow," then that would be perfect where it is.

COBL/Vertigo/Electric Co/I Will Follow

awesome

Thank you!

I still think the Boy songs should be kept together though, and if they're all at the beginning of the show a lot of people get lost. Yeah, Electric Co is energetic, so maybe if they opened one of the encores with it people will be more ready for it and experience the awesomeness of the Boy songs late in the show.

ya, I'm not really feeling the whole pride and then streets thing....I don't really mind that much when Bono goes on about Africa, but I wish he wouldnt do it on this song, honestly.

It has been the same performance for the last 18 years for a reason.....red lights, house lights on at the beginning climax, this is one time u2 shouldn't get creative :wink:

1. COBL
2. Vertigo/Stories for Boys
3. Electric Co.
4. I Will Follow
5. Beautiful Day
6. New Years Day
7. Miracle Drug
8. Sometimes ...
9. Yahweh (Full band acoustic)
10. Party Girl/Fast Cars (Full band Acoustic - these songs would sound great together)
11. Last Night on Earth
12. Love and Peace or Else
13. God Part II
14. Exit
15. Running to Stand Still
16. Zoostation
17. The Fly
18. Elevation
19. Streets
20. One
21. ABOY
22. 40

The run of Last Night on Earth - LAPOE - God Part 2 - Exit would showcase the Edge in all of his dirty blues glory.

The Acoustic strumming of Yahweh - Party Girl - Fast Cars would be a fun, nostolgic tie in with the past.

This would be a truly wonderful setlist.

1. If the Boy set is kept, it should be moved further back in the setlist.

I disagree. As Bono said "We're going back to where it all started for us," and to me it makes sense to do that early, plus, the whole bit with Vertigo --> Stories for Boys... The only other place I could see it fitting is as an encore, but those seem to be reserved for the "hits" (One, Pride, Streets, etc.)

2. The 'Zoo' set can be extended. For instance, following The Fly they could add UTEOTW and if somehow Acrobat is being prepared to be unveiled this tour, that can be added. Anothe possibility would be to switch the placement of the Boy set with the Zoo set, so the zoo set would be early in the show.

I wouldn't mind seeing an extension of the Zoo Set, though I like how U2 has mixed things up and the sets are short and keep the "eras" flowing (i.e. not a whole lot of songs from one era right in a row). I would, however, not be in favor of switching up the Boy and Zoo sets, because Zoo-era material has traditionally been played in the beginning (or so it seams to me; particularly Until the End of the World, EBTTRT, etc.)

Absolutely! I'm willing to give Bono the benefit of the Africa thing for a few shows if he wants, but I hope it doesn't last. Though, I might like it if his speech were better (and that very well may happen...)

4. Follow LAPOE with RTSS. From there they could either do a short ATYCLB themed pair (ala Stuck/elevation) or jump right into the Zoo set.

Yeah, LAP --> SBS didn't work for me, either. LAP --> BTBS might work, and I'm in favor of jumping right into the Zoo Set... I would love to hear RTSS --> Zoo Station (without the Human Rights Video, which was oddly placed IMO)

5. Move ABOY near the front of the set. I know it sounds predictable, but maybe even follow Vertigo with ABOY. Possibly follow COBL with ABOY. If the Boy set gets moved to later in the show, start with the Boy set with Vertigo/Stories for Boys like the first show did.

I'm curious as to why you want to do this? Initially I would have agreed with you, but after listening to San Diego, I kind of like ABOY near the end - kind of a counterpoint to COBL ("you look so beautiful tonight" and then "All because of you, I am"), plus it keeps the crowd rocking. I guess I can see it going either way, though.

6. Keep Yahweh-40, but have something else, not ABOY, lead into Yahweh.

I agree. Perhaps that could be the spot for the "second" encore break...

Last edited:
I was surprised that Streets didn't have a fancy segue. Ever since Zoo TV, they've come up with mind-blowing entries for that song.

Consider:

* The sublime Bullet>Running>Streets from Zoo TV
* The stunning Please>Streets from PopMart
* The very spiritual Bad>40>Streets from Elevation

So yes, let's have a little more drama around Streets, if they're going to bother playing it.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart sounds like it might be a bit of a buzz-kill. I myself would take it wherever it showed up, and don't want it removed, but moving it back might be good. After Sometimes would be a strong possibility... a song remembering Bono's father followed by another reflection on childhood. The dreamy ending of Into the Heart would also move well into the moody beginning of LAPOE.

I have thought ABOY would work well as a mid-show pick-me-up, like Electric Co. or In God's Country were back in the stone age.

And I'll say it again: stop Bullet. It feels like it's just taking up space. Beef up LAPOE with an extended, feedbacky solo and the dramatic changes of Bullet, and let the old warhorse rest.

I'd like to see Exit come back, but I just don't think it would be realistic for Edge to play all his "dirty blues songs" in a string like that. U2 always seems to aim for musical balance in their setlists. I still think the Boy set should be moved back.

"I'm curious as to why you want to do this? Initially I would have agreed with you, but after listening to San Diego, I kind of like ABOY near the end - kind of a counterpoint to COBL ("you look so beautiful tonight" and then "All because of you, I am"), plus it keeps the crowd rocking. I guess I can see it going either way, though."

Well, just from listening to the boot, ABOY into Yahweh was just plain awkward. I also think it would work much better as a crowd-pumper upper near the beginning of the show. I didn't mention this, but I also think Bono should lose the tambourine and put his heart and sould into the song. It would be very fitting to follow COBL with this.

after Sometimes would be a strong possibility... a song remembering Bono's father followed by another reflection on childhood. The dreamy ending of Into the Heart would also move well into the moody beginning of LAPOE.

Heck yeah! I just tested that with the San Diego boot and it rocks.

Another possibility that I was thinking about last night (altered with the Sometimes bit...)

Sometimes / ACD --> ITH --> Crumbs (if they ever play it) but it works very well with LAPOE.

Well, just from listening to the boot, ABOY into Yahweh was just plain awkward. I also think it would work much better as a crowd-pumper upper near the beginning of the show. I didn't mention this, but I also think Bono should lose the tambourine and put his heart and sould into the song. It would be very fitting to follow COBL with this.

I agree about the awkward part, after haivng listened again (or listened to some section or some such :) ) It does work well, however, as an end-of-show pick-me-up as well, though.

Harbinger said:

Heck yeah! I just tested that with the San Diego boot and it rocks.

Another possibility that I was thinking about last night (altered with the Sometimes bit...)

Sometimes / ACD --> ITH --> Crumbs (if they ever play it) but it works very well with LAPOE.

I agree about the awkward part, after haivng listened again (or listened to some section or some such :) ) It does work well, however, as an end-of-show pick-me-up as well, though.

Ditto to Into the Heart into LAPOE sounding good.

Yeah, ABOY is a good pick-me-up but let's just say for the sake of meditation ABOY is placed right after COBL. I agree there needs to be a pick up to start the last encore. What other song in U2's catalog would fit the bill? Maybe even Crumbs would be appropriate, even if it's not that upbeat. At least it would fit the mood.:scratch:

FullonEdge2 said:
I'd like to see Exit come back, but I just don't think it would be realistic for Edge to play all his "dirty blues songs" in a string like that. U2 always seems to aim for musical balance in their setlists. I still think the Boy set should be moved back.

The songs are different enough to not sound redundant, both in style and content. I reworked the setlist using live cuts of each song (except Fast Cars) in the order that I layed out and it sounds brilliant.

LNOE - LAPOE - GP2 - Exit - RTSS - ZS - Fly - Elevation:drool: :drool: The best run of songs since the opening of ZooTV

They need to wave goodbye to BTBS, at least play it like 1 of every 3 shows. I thought it was one of the weaker songs from the other night.

I kind of like the more bluesy solo by Edge, but it just needs to stop being cemented into every u2 setlist.

Oh CRAP! I just figured out the perfect setlist for me. I am dropping I Will Follow from the first part of the show. The energy is already there, they don't need to force it. The middle of the show seems to be missing a little magic though, so I added With or Without You right after Sometimes - which thematically makes a very powerful statement and then move right into the acoustic version of Yahweh. Can you imagine Bono out at the tip of the elipse leading the crowd in an a capella chorus of WOWY as the Edge begins to walk toward him strumming the chords to Yahweh as the light curtains are changing colors. :drool:

1. COBL
3. Electric Co.
5. Beautiful Day
6. New Years Day
7. Miracle Drug
8. Sometimes ...
With or Without You
10. Party Girl/Fast Cars (Full band Acoustic - these songs would sound great together)
11. Last Night on Earth
12. Love and Peace or Else
13. God Part II
14. Exit
15. Running to Stand Still
16. Zoostation
17. The Fly
18. Elevation
19. Streets
20. One
21. ABOY
22. 40

Am I the only one enjoying this?

1. COBL
3. Electric Co.
4. Beautiful Day
5. New Years Day
6. Miracle Drug
7. Sometimes ...
8. With or Without You
11. Love and Peace or Else
12. God Part II
13. Exit
14. Running to Stand Still
15. Zoostation
16. The Fly
17. Walk On
18. ABOY
19. Crumbs from Your Table
20. Streets
21. One/OOTS
22. 40

Re: Re: Some Setlist Change Considerations..

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I love how some bitch about how this tour hasn't changed much, and then others want the same ol 15 year old shit.:huh:

I love the new show design, I'm not bitching at all about this tour hasn't changed much, and I want the same ol 15 year old shit:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Some Setlist Change Considerations..

RademR said:

I love the new show design, I'm not bitching at all about this tour hasn't changed much, and I want the same ol 15 year old shit:wink:

I wasn't responding directly to you, just the irony of the two extremes of U2 fans.

I am all behind them changing things. I could even imagine the conversations that led to some of these changes. Of course they must be tired of doing the same things all these years. But at the same time when they make changes and shake it up a bit, they need to evaluate those changes to see if they work or not. The Streets intro simply did not work. Just about anyone who has experienced Streets live before agrees with that. And when Streets doesn't work, something is wrong.

It's interesting that they chose not to use the red background this time when there is so much of a red theme throughout the show. If they'd change the intro song and bring the full-on lights back to kick the song off they wouldn't need the red background but something needs to change. The lights need to come on early, not at the end of the song. The Africa thing could work if accompanied by heartfelt words and a good lead in song , both of which were missing Monday night. It was almost like Bono hadn't really thought about what he would say and decided to just wing it.

I think RTSS also needs to change. It was weird seeing him hold a guitar during that song and the hallelujahs seemed forced and perfunctory rather than from the soul. It seemed like he was getting ready for the next song instead of getting into the song he was singing. These are probably my two main "complaints" about the show, if you could call them complaints. I'm not one for bitching and moaning about setlists--I don't care what they play as long as they get into whatever they're doing. If they're into it, I'm usually into it.

I'd also agree with moving the Boy songs somewhere else. The pacing wasn't quite right.

I have full faith that they'll work the kinks out, though. :)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Some Setlist Change Considerations..

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I wasn't responding directly to you, just the irony of the two extremes of U2 fans.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that fans who want the red backdrop for Streets are extremists. I'm all for mixing things up, as long as the band is comfortable with it, but because the way they've done Streets in the past was so entirely, completely mindblowing I just don't think it's the right thing to change.

And thanks for the agreement joyfulgirl. It gives the argument more weight when someone who was actually at the show agrees with some proposed changes. I'm sure I'll still love whatever setlist gets posted tonight, but if U2 does implement some of my changes I'll be very, very happy.

The opening night show was pretty impressive, but I know what the need to do to make the tour all that much more spectacular....

Drop, New Year's Day, Bullet the Blue Sky, Elevation, The Electric Co., All Because of You and Pride.

Replace them with Bad, Kite, Tryin to Throw your Arms around the World, Acrobat, A Sort of Homecoming, and Crumbs from your table and there would be no more complaints.

Someone get in touch with the band, quick.

bigloader said:
The opening night show was pretty impressive, but I know what the need to do to make the tour all that much more spectacular....

Drop, New Year's Day, Bullet the Blue Sky, Elevation, The Electric Co., All Because of You and Pride.

Replace them with Bad, Kite, Tryin to Throw your Arms around the World, Acrobat, A Sort of Homecoming, and Crumbs from your table and there would be no more complaints.

Someone get in touch with the band, quick.

Um, (same thing I said in that other thread), why don't you get in touch with the band?

Back
Top Bottom