Some new setlist thoughts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
(This is fairly lengthy and may not tell some of you anything new, so feel free to skip ...)

Considering my setlist fanaticism, I am sure some have wondered why I haven't made a setlist for the new tour (indeed, I've even been asked why a few times). The simple reason is that I don't know any of the new songs, especially not their beginning or end, so I can't create a setlist with flow, either sonically or thematically. It might be nice to think UTEOTW/New rocking song/Gone would work, but 'New rocking song' might have an intro that does not work with the end of UTEOTW at all, and the ending could totally clash with the beginning of Gone. So I'm not going to be devising any setlists until I have heard the whole new album in full.

That said, I would like to offer my thoughts on some possibilities.

1. The band will be aware that they may turn into a greatest hits band or a jukebox. I fear too much of that happened on Elevation and the band will be mindful of that.

2. Flowing on from point one, classic songs will not be played every night. Instead of playing With Or Without You AND I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For on the same night, they will put them into rotation. That would be somewhat like the Bad/AIWIY rotation of Elevation, though hopefully more pronounced. Maybe even multiple sets.

3. However, some songs HAVE to stay. Where The Streets Have No Name is a classic and the band themselves attest to its ability to turn around even the worst gigs. It will be played at EVERY show U2 play from now until retirement without ANY doubt. It will never be played later than the first song in the encore. UTEOTW is another song highly likely to be played at almost every concert, though I have a sneaking suspicion it might actually enter into rotation this tour. Beautiful Day is a definite every-nighter for the new tour, though maybe not forever. One will be played at most concerts for sure.

4. They have to accommodate new material. 6-8 spots a night will be taken by this stuff, and that's a fair bit in a 20-22 song set. Ninties history says a new song will open. Eighties history tells you not to bet on it. Which will U2 follow? I hope the eighties but I predict the ninties. No rule says the second song will be new though, despite what many of you predict in your sets. Just look at Popmart - Mofo and then I Will Follow.

5. They also have to satisfy the diehard fan. This was the mistake of ZooTV, and why I resent it. ZooTV had the worst U2 sets ever and basically killed the live future of most of their catalogue. They went from Lovetown, the era of greatest setlist variety, to ZooTV, the era of setlist boredom. Too many good songs were wasted then, and I really don't see why they didn't play, say, In God's Country instead of Pride some nights. Exit would have been perfect then, too. Popmart tried to cater for the diehards by bringing I Will Follow back into regular play, but it wasn't enough, and it suffered a lack of variety due to ZooTV's mistakes. Elevation worked against this, and I am hoping this will continue on the new tour. They will play Out Of Control and hopefully 11 O'clock Tick Tock. I suspect a couple of other gems will be dragged out, most likely singles (i.e. Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, electric In God's Country) and fan favourites (i.e. A Sort Of Homecoming, One Tree Hill).

6. The world's political climate MUST be considered. People, U2 ARE a political band and that is acknowledged in their sets. Look at the return of Please after 11 September. I sense the outcome of the 2004 US election could dictate what songs are played - if the band want to criticise a Bush victory, I can see them playing In God's Country and Bullet The Blue Sky. If violence continues to rage around the world, we will see at least one of Sunday Bloody Sunday and Please. Please definitely, if there is another international terrorist attack, SBS definitely if the situation in Northern Ireland deteriorates. MLK could be snippeted or featured in the Streets intro as a commemoration to victims of terror and war, especially if the climate is hostile. It's kind of a shame U2 weren't touring before and during the Iraq War (the official campaign, that is), because setlists then could have been seriously charged.

7. If the atomic bomb-related titles prove true, watch out for Seconds in the acoustic set, and anything from The Unforgettable Fire (particularly the title track) would have the chance of appearing somewhere in the setlist.

I did have more to add, but I have horrible mathematics assignments to work on. Have a good one!

- Andr?/Axver

OK ... so I procrastinated on my assignment work and stuffed around on LiveJournal. In my defense, I was feeding my U2 setlist hobby.

Some of you may be interested in my attempt to make a setlist of every U2 song ever made. Ignore the excited rambling about the ABOY leak at the start of the entry.

However, I consider the following to be my finest work. Zooropa is italicised because I'm not sure about it. With Bullet --> The Fly, I think when Bullet builds up to the final intensity, it should seamlessly morph into The Fly, and I feel that flows nicely into UTEOTW. It'd be very exciting.

11 O'clock Tick Tock
The Cry/The Electric Co.
Bullet The Blue Sky
The Fly
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Dirty Day
Love Is Blindness
All I Want Is You/Bad [If you haven't heard the AIWIY/Bad combination from 20 October 1989, you need to!]
Where The Streets Have No Name --> The Playboy Mansion [a la Popmart, to flow into the next song]
Lemon --> With Or Without You --> Shine Like Stars --> Love Will Tear Us Apart
Running To Stand Still
October --> New Year's Day
Silver And Gold
Exit
In God's Country
Wire
Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Hawkmoon 269
Desire --> All Along The Watchtower
One Tree Hill
One --> Wake Up Dead Man
God Part II

Zooropa
Beautiful Day
MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire
Twilight
Shadows And Tall Trees
40 --> The Wanderer --> The First Time --> 40

Numb1075 said:
Axver, I never thought about #7. That would be teriffic....

Yeah, I think it would be amazing, and it would suit such a theme perfectly. However, I'm not so certain of it once I consider the fact that songs such as Into The Heart and Two Hearts Beat As One were skipped on Elevation. I guess we'll see with time ...

good thread. What do you think of u2 saying that they are going to switch up the setlist? Do you think these means just a few songs? Or do you think their going to have two separate ones, and play them on alternate nights? Could use the opinion of a setlist fanatic.

Axver said:

1. The band will be aware that they may turn into a greatest hits band or a jukebox. I fear too much of that happened on Elevation and the band will be mindful of that.

If I'm not mistaken the amount of songs they played on Elevation was bigger than any other tour before. They brought back stuff that wasn't played since Lovetown tour, and people still say this was a greatest hits tour. (had a lot more variety than Zoo TV or Popmart which everyone raves about)

I'm sorry but I don't think they will skip the hits, if they want to play to the masses, and they do. I can see something like they did on the last tour, when WOWY was taken out on the last tour and replaced with I still haven't found but that's it.

I wouldn't count on any 80's songs that weren't singles or played a lot in the past, especially pre-UF - and I doubt anything off Zooropa apart from Stay.
I thought I read somewhere they rehearsed Unforgettable fire and Two hearts beat as one on the last tour...? Guess it didn't work.

Last edited:
Axver, I like the setlist, but the ending seems very anticlimactic for me. Obviously you have gone "The Cure" way and put the oldest songs as the closing songs. Twilight and Shadows and Tall Trees are great songs, but for the ending they seem very bland. I love the rocking start, though. And you can't give hope on Acrobat. It will be played some day. Don't lose hope!

My apologies to everyone ... I forgot to reply to some of you!

Originally posted by RademR
What do you think of u2 saying that they are going to switch up the setlist? Do you think these means just a few songs? Or do you think their going to have two separate ones, and play them on alternate nights? Could use the opinion of a setlist fanatic.

Well, I am VERY excited. Considering the setlists of ZooTV and Popmart, Elevation had some exciting variety, and if they use two setlists, this could be just as exciting as the Lovetown setlists! They have three options, really;

1. Two different setlists. They of course feel a few common elements (i.e. Streets) but are on the whole very different, but each individual setlist does not have much variety.
2. AIWIY/Bad rotation on Elevation, just on a much greater scale.
3. A combination of the both.

I feel #1 is what U2 were talking about, and because they would know all the songs for both setlists, I feel they could quite easily continue on to #3.

Whatever the case, I am extremely excited about the setlist prospects of the new tour.

Originally posted by U2girl
If I'm not mistaken the amount of songs they played on Elevation was bigger than any other tour before. They brought back stuff that wasn't played since Lovetown tour, and people still say this was a greatest hits tour. (had a lot more variety than Zoo TV or Popmart which everyone raves about)

You're very right. The variety was fantastic, and I must say the lack of variety on ZooTV and Popmart is a bit on the boring side (although it does make changes all the more exciting in a way). I never said they were a greatest hits band, but that they ran the risk of it, and it is even greater on the approaching tour. I feel they handled Elevation very well.

I'm sorry but I don't think they will skip the hits, if they want to play to the masses, and they do. I can see something like they did on the last tour, when WOWY was taken out on the last tour and replaced with I still haven't found but that's it.

Again, no argument. I feel some classics will (or at least should) enter into rotation, and maybe we will see a couple more songs return. Without a doubt, they will be songs that were very popular with the crowd when they were played.

I wouldn't count on any 80's songs that weren't singles or played a lot in the past, especially pre-UF - and I doubt anything off Zooropa apart from Stay.
I thought I read somewhere they rehearsed Unforgettable fire and Two hearts beat as one on the last tour...? Guess it didn't work.

Unless it is an extremely notable song, all that return will be singles in my opinion. Three exceptions that pop to mind are Exit, A Sort Of Homecoming, and The Electric Co. (in order from most to least likely, although all are unlikely, even with ASOH's appearance twice on Elevation). I know THBAO was rehearsed, and I'm pretty sure UF was too ... maybe they'll work out this time. I think Edge once said that he finds THBAO to be the most difficult song to play live, so I'm not surprised it didn't work out.

Originally posted by djerdap
Axver, I like the setlist, but the ending seems very anticlimactic for me. Obviously you have gone "The Cure" way and put the oldest songs as the closing songs. Twilight and Shadows and Tall Trees are great songs, but for the ending they seem very bland.

Interesting perspective. I can very much see where you are coming from with SATT, although I feel an extended solo would really entertain the crowd, though I'm a bit confused about what you said about Twilight. That was a very rocking song live, especially the solo.

Personally, I prefer the softer endings. They are soothing and help you to release from the show. At a rocking end, you feel up very high, calling for more, but something such as 40 is soft, calming, and lowers you back down to the world you left behind two hours ago. At least, that's my opinion.

No doubt that Twilight is a rocking song, it's just that the audience reaction will be much weaker than the songs before. See what I mean? The energy could be lowered for the final encore. But, I like the setlist. You sure have taste. What do you think about my 4 variable setlists I did when I was very bored?

djerdap said:
No doubt that Twilight is a rocking song, it's just that the audience reaction will be much weaker than the songs before. See what I mean?

I'm not so sure it would be weaker. How come you think it would be weaker than MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire? I guess if you have today's crowd, it would certainly be weaker than Beautiful Day, in which case I definitely can see what you mean.

But, I like the setlist. You sure have taste.

Thank you! :)

What do you think about my 4 variable setlists I did when I was very bored?

Ah, now those. When I initially read over it, I thought you were totally dreaming, but now that I've had another look at it, I think some of it is really good, though some is impossible to judge due to the inclusion of as-yet-unheard new songs. I would very much like to see how your setlists stack up once we have heard the new material. Maybe they're prophetic and flow perfectly, or maybe they've totally missed the mark. Only time will tell, I guess. Or Edge could! :wink:

hey axver, hello, I'm an utter setlist freak like you (since 1984).
here's what I find palatable for an opening night:

1-vertigo
2-fast new song
3-light my way
4-unfire
5-slow new song
6-el storm
7-fast new song
8-gloria
9-sunday
10-mid-tempo new song
11-slow new song
12-acoustic song whole band (seconds?)
13-acoustic song b+e (hands?)
14-please (popmart version)
15-streets
16-follow
17-beautiful day
-------------------------------
18-elevation
19-found
20-pride
--------------------------------
21-one
22-epic new song

what do you think?
I got a lot of alternatives songs for almost every spot on the setlist.
more on that later.

gabriele1971 said:
hey axver, hello, I'm an utter setlist freak like you (since 1984).

Really? Awesome! We could probably have some good discussions then. :)

Your setlist is very good, and I have a hard time faulting it. There are a few song combinations I'd like to talk about, though.

2. Fast new song
3. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)

UV is the only U2 song I don't like (besides Red Light), so before I said anything, I had to be very careful that I wasn't saying something just because I don't like the song. My simple concern is that due to the slow start of UV, it might be hard to merge it with a fast new song. Wholly depends upon how the fast new song ends. If it's like I Will Follow, I don't think it would work.

8. Gloria
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday

I've thought about this combination, and I feel that musically, it can be done very well. My only problem is the themes, and that's why I have never combined the songs on my setlists. It doesn't seem right to me to follow Gloria with SBS. But that's just my personal feelings.

I like the way you get to the acoustic set. If the whole band played Seconds, that would be amazing. Bono and Edge on THTBA is somewhat predictable and if it happens, I will not be surprised. I love Please/Streets/IWF/Beautiful Day, partly because I've had that idea before!

18. Elevation
19. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

At first I was going to object to this because of the sudden drop in pace, but then I remembered two things. I Will Follow/ISHFWILF was used very frequently on the JT and Lovetown tours, and U2 once played a medley of Elevation and Stuck In A Moment. So ... no more objection to Elevation/ISHFWILF!

As I said before, I think what you posted is very good. None of what I just said is really all that serious ... my only concern is that it seems a little bit like Elevation, just with different songs. I'm hoping U2 will change their normal setlist structure for this tour.

yes, it's EXACTLY like elevation. that's why it works, i just took away songs off ATYCLB and inserted things off ATOMIC BOMB. later on I will post the alternates, you'll be surprised how many chances there would be...if only U2 wanted too.
btw: gloria/sunday was already played (ie: nov 18 1987 LA Coliseum, I have it on DVD) and it worked very well.

axver, here they are; the alternates:

1-vertigo
2-fast new song
3-light my way (rotate with: end of the world/real thing/the fly/do you feel loved/god 2)
4-unfire (ny day/1 tree/homecoming/discostaring/mist ways/lemon/daddy's gonna pay)
5-slow new song
6-el storm (gone/zooropa/homecoming/when i look-full band electric/wake up dead-full band electric/staring-full band electric/ground beneath-full band electric/1 tree/kite/stuck/stay- full band electric)
7-fast new song (last night/exit/in gods country-full band electric/real thing/end of the world/god 2)
8-gloria (follow/control/11 o'clock/el.co/ny day)
9-sunday
10-mid-tempo new song
11-slow new song(kite/stuck/little while/playboy/throw your arms/running/babyface/mothers/sweetest)
12-acoustic song whole band (seconds/desire/hawkmoon/trip/wild honey/angel/lovetown/party girl/found/daddy's gonna pay/MOFO)
13-acoustic song b+e (whatever comes to mind)
14-please - popmart version (bad/all I want/dirty day/bullet)
15-streets
16-follow(control/11 o'clock/el.co/ny day)
17-beautiful day(elevation/pride)
-------------------------------
18-elevation(discotheque/mist ways/hold me/lemon)
19-found(without you/ny day/unfire/1 tree)
20-pride (gloria/without you/follow/control)
--------------------------------
21-one
22-epic new song

now, am i good or what?
try to imagine how many different combinations U2 could make on a nightly basis...without altering the structure of the show (otherwise, Joe'O and Willie would go crazy)
that would be awesome.

axver, since you're a setlist freak, I wont go here explaining all the why's. but all the positions in the set work, and so the flows.
good job on my part.

DAMN! You ARE good! That's a lot of combinations, and wow, if they did that, we would all be in Heaven! It's a shame some of those options will probably never be played (i.e. When I Look At The World). They began the concept of rotation on Elevation with Bad/AIWIY and Mysterious Ways+The Fly/ISHFWILF+Pride, so maybe they will expand it. That would be fantastic!

I only have ONE point to disagree with. One, out of all the options!

12. Acoustic song - whole band (Various other options, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, Mofo)

That would be a MAJOR change ... I have a hard time imagining DGPFYCC or Mofo as acoustic songs. Do you think that would work?

Otherwise, as I said, that's fantastic. I'm very interested in seeing if U2 retain the Elevation format.

Well, I can imagine "Daddy" as an acoustic number, but it would be awful. Mofo is simply unimaginable to me. Otherwise, I agree, Gabriele, that's brilliant, and I want to hear it! (Gawd, I hope I get some good seats to these shows, please.)

There are some great suggestions here folks, but Im sure Walk On and Kite will be played almost every night.

Warning: I'm bored and prone to rambling.

JulioArca said:
There are some great suggestions here folks, but Im sure Walk On and Kite will be played almost every night.

My advice is to not count your chickens before they hatch.

First, it's probably wise to look at past patterns. Due to the radical setlist change of ZooTV, only the recent tours are really relevant when it comes to determining the survival of material from the previous album.

Popmart - 4 songs from AB (EBTTRT, UTEOTW, MW, one). On Elevation, EBTTRT was not played regularly while The Fly returned, and WGRYWH was snippeted.
Elevation - Pop songs simply didn't fit the format and none were serious regulars, although SATS was played on every leg. Please was played at most third leg shows. Discotheque was played at some but quickly slipped from the setlist. I'm pretty sure that by the raw numbers, Gone was the most frequently played song from Pop on the Elevation Tour, BUT it was not played at all on the third leg. Wake Up Dead Man, interestingly enough, was played more often on Elevation than it was on Popmart, but of course, this was always in snippet form.

That's a bit complex, but what does it tell us? Recent material is not guaranteed to hang around. By the end of Elevation, only ONE song from Pop and TWO from AB were being played in full (Please, UTEOTW, One).

So where am I going with relation to what you said?

Don't expect a large quantity of ATYCLB material to hang around, Beautiful Day is assured of a position much like One is. It's not quite on the level of Streets, but it would be weird for it to be omitted. Stuck and Elevation were popular songs in my part of the world, but I'm not sure that's representative of the worldwide trend and they both might go. I think Stuck will stay in an acoustic format. To expect Walk On and Kite to stay isn't outlandish, but ... don't bet the house on it. I think Walk On will have to fight for its setlist position and I think it will be gone. The more I think about it, the less I like Walk On's chances. Kite, though ... it's personal to Bono. I think they'll play it.

Phew. That was probably much longer than anyone ever expected or even wanted.

kennerado said:
You guys are nuts obsessing over setlists.

Oh, but it's great fun. I love it. Some of the stuff I've been creating lately ... totally insane. I'm telling you though, 11 O'clock Tick Tock/Twilight is PERFECT.

daddy's gonna pay was played in medley (acoustic) with lovetown at some shows in summer '93, for instance Turin 12 july '93, and it worked perfectly, it is basically a blues song. bono said ("into the heart" book): it's a song I would like to hear sung by john lee hooker (which in the meantime passed away).
same with mofo, it's a tipical blues song "disguised" as an eletcronic one. for instance, the "phunk phorce" remix is much more bluesier than the pop version; the popmart live version was more stripped down, and it was basically bass/guitar/drums spiced with electronics. i think it would work fine in an acoustic arrangement, albeit a "driving" one, like lovetown '92-93 or desire '01.
I know that it's highly unlikely that U2 will ever rotate setlists as much as I did on my previous post, it was just an exercise in setlist-making expertise.
but I say: REM, Pearl Jam, Springsteen, Radiohead do it on a nightly basis, and they play large arenas and stadia, not smoky clubs. why can't U2?

Ah, I forgot about those performances of DGPFYCC. I haven't heard them, though I would like to. I suspect it would require a major rearrangement to work as a full individual song, though.

Mofo ... I'm still having a very hard time imagining it acoustic in any form. I actually think U2 COULD do it, considering their talent for reinventing songs, but I simply cannot imagine it. To me, it would be a different song.

Ah, how I'd love U2 to do some major rotation. It seems they are fond of routine, though.

Axver, what do you think about Zoo Station, didn't Edge mention this song being rehearsed together with Ultraviolet right here on Interference.

I don't think it would fit in, it was perfect as Zoo opener but I can't see in the middle of a set or even encore.

I dont think we'll ever see Zoo station again.
after all, it opened no less that 160 shows all around the world...I think it has done its job really well.
same with mofo.
sorry, but it's the way that U2 works.

JulioArca said:
Axver, what do you think about Zoo Station, didn't Edge mention this song being rehearsed together with Ultraviolet right here on Interference.

I don't think it would fit in, it was perfect as Zoo opener but I can't see in the middle of a set or even encore.

I was really surprised when Edge mentioned that, because my thoughts on Zoo Station are essentially the same as gabriele's. I can actually see it fitting into the setlist somewhere, though. Lately, I've become fond of LNOE/Zoo Station. Listen to live performances of LNOE from Popmart and note what Edge played right at the end, before slipping into UTEOTW. I feel that could be used to flow into Zoo Station to great effect.

the feedback between LNOE and UTEOTW on Popmart was off bono's red guitar (was it "THE TRUTH"? now I'm getting picky here...).
yeah, it would work into zoo station.
axver, you're good!

gabriele1971 said:
the feedback between LNOE and UTEOTW on Popmart was off bono's red guitar (was it "THE TRUTH"? now I'm getting picky here...).

Really? I need to pay closer attention to my Popmart DVDs.

yeah, it would work into zoo station.
axver, you're good!

Thanks! I came across that one quite accidentally one day when I got sick of following LNOE with UTEOTW in my setlists. I was thinking of what songs would sound good and Zoo Station suddenly hit me. I'd just about die of joy if they played it!

Back
Top Bottom