So how do you rank the songs premiered Down under so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saints - Wasn't a fan of the song. Seeing it in the setlist, was kinda annoyed it was replacing a 'true' U2 song. Saw it at Sydney 1 and it brought the house down. Was one of the songs I was really looking forward to heading into Sydney 3 and again it didn't disappoint. Live, it sounds like a missing U2 song. If that makes sense. The chorus sounds like a missing GreenDay song, but the verses live sound very Boy-era U2. Love it live. Adore it. Goes up 10,000 notches over the studio version. The crowd really, really, really responds to it as well. #1 single in Australia at the moment as well, which I'm sure helped.

Desire - didn't personally see this. Wasn't at Sydney 2.

Kite - The knew version is really nice. Bono singing over the intro, the didgeridoo, the extended ending. It's a superior version, but I'm not sold on it as a closer. Probably mostly because of Bono stumbling around with the actual Kite. It makes it a kinda messy ending to the show, but the song itself is up on another level with this version.

Angel of Harlem - One of the two or three biggest rowdy singalongs at both shows I saw. Loads of fun both times. Crowd loves it. Band seems to have a load of fun with it. At Sydney 3 it was early in the show and it was the song that launched the crowd for the rest of the night. Bono on the harmonica at the end was great.

Saints - crap cover song, it should be removed and replaced by anything from Pop, or at least Window in the Skies

Desire - great to hear a full band electric version, even if it is mostly improvised (similar to Kansas City 2001)

Angel of Harlem - classic singalong, great harmonica addition at the end

Kite - beautiful, Edge´s solo is great, truly one of the highlights of the Vertigo Tour

Still, I would rather see some additions from Pop, the return of the Boy songs (especially Electric Co.), Gloria and Running To Stand Still, than Rattle and Hum & ATYCLB songs (excluding Kite).

Technically Angel Of Harlem was done in Texas in 2005. Now full band, that was a premiere for this tour. But if you are going by that you should also put full band Walk On in the list.

The biggest surprise to me is Kite and full band Walk On. I think both sound very good. Desire was a shambles even though it was full band. They need to rehearse before playing it again, if they do.

Saints has been the surprise packet of the tour - brilliant!

Angel was fun and always will be - i love the version on the Sydney Zoo TV DVD and their playing it again with much enthusiasm

Desire is fun - the drums make that one and Larry is supurb

Kite - Love it - my only word of advice for those who havent seen it, dont get caught up too much with the actual kite flying at the end other wise you wont be paying attention to edges solo - its amazing! Just close your eyes for a second as you hear - edges sound fills the stadiums and lifts it completely off the ground

Blue Room said:
Technically Angel Of Harlem was done in Texas in 2005. Now full band, that was a premiere for this tour. But if you are going by that you should also put full band Walk On in the list.

Yes, Angel of Harlem wasn't full band in 2005.
About Walk on...is it significantly different to the Elevation tour version? I assume it's not so I didn't count it.

Walk On has an extended solo at the end. It´s even better than the Elevation Tour version.

U2girl said:

Yes, Angel of Harlem wasn't full band in 2005.
About Walk on...is it significantly different to the Elevation tour version? I assume it's not so I didn't count it.

For Walk On, just the solo at the end like someone else mentioned is different. But Angel Of Harlem is almost identical to the Elevation version. So I dont understand the difference there either under your scenario?

We saw Sydney III.
I enjoyed the full band version AOH - they did well.
Kite - yawn. It's not that bad, but there a dozen songs that would be better endings.
'Saints - yeah! I loved this song. When I first heard New Year's Day back in 84 I thought it might be a new song by Big Country. Now, Stuart Adamson from Big Country was in a band called The Skids whose song U2 are covering. 'Saints kicks arse live. It also reminds me of The Clash - which isn't a bad thing.

Now that I'm listening to Sydney III,

Kite - wow. Epic.
AOH - great fun, love the harmonica at the end.
Saints - pleasant surprise, the crowd got into it immediately. Much better than ABOY.
Desire - only saw the youtube link from the first shaky performance. Sort of a cross between Elevation and Lovetown version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom