setlist surprises so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty72

The Fly
With the 1st leg of the tour about to be placed in the U2 history book, I wanted to reflect on what I feel has been some of the surprise/unexpected songs making apperances.
An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart(never thought U2 would play this one again!)
Zoo Station(I thought this would be one of those one-tour-and-done type of songs; very nice to see it back in the set)
The Fly(after it disappeared for the 3rd leg of Elevation & Edge's comments that it didn't stand the test of time I thought this one had seen it's last day, glad it didn't!)
Gloria(it's been so long, I guess Bono doesn't mind the song after all)
The Ocean(never saw this one coming!)
Running To Stand Still(nice to hear it follow Bullet again)
Here are some songs that I'm surprised haven't been played more:
Crumbs From The Table(I thought for sure this one would be a set centerpiece. Maybe it'll make it's appearance during the next leg. Perhaps like One Tree Hill on the JT tour when that song didn't show until the 3rd leg)
Until The End Of The World(in my top 5 of live U2 songs, to me the set is incomplete without it. Love listening to the performance from Chicago 5/12. Hopefully this one makes more frequent appearances, especially in Omaha:wink:)
New Year's Day(it's suddenly gone AWOL, but I think it'll be back)
Ultra Violet(for some reason I thought this one would be played this tour, I guess I believed those rumors from the Mexico rehearsals)
I Will Follow/Out Of Control(not one show so far, not complaining, they had their time in the spotlight last tour, glad to see other songs from Boy get another chance)
Finally, I'm not sure what catergory to fit this last song into. The performance of With Or Without You from Chicago 5/12 IMO is the finest performance the band has done with that song in quite awhile. Nice to hear the old arrangement again. I'm hoping this one also makes it's appearance in Omaha and I wouldn't mind seeing it being played every night as long as the band play it in this arrangement.
This post isn't a "setlist bitch" post by all means, just wanted to share some thoughts and see what fellow U2 fans think about the shows so far and what has surprised them.

Last edited:
I think for the most part I'm surprised U2 mixed it up as much as they did. Its not Pearl Jam or anything, but they made it fresh enough to look foward to seeing a setlist from everynight.

All very good points. The return of "40" to close every night (well, almost every night) is also a surprise, considering it hasn't consistently done that since the late 1980s.

I think having An Cat Dubh, Electric, Zoo Station, Into The Heart ect, we would really not expected to have seen in the setlists again....and what have they done :)

I pretty much agree with most of this thread. Although I dont miss NY Day or Until The End Of The World all that much. Like the songs, but they have been played to death on past tours.

I think the band considered playing Out Of Control for Chicago 4 instead of Gloria, so that one will probebly happen at some point. Also, I wouldnt be shocked if Please makes an appearence at some point. The potential for the greatest setlist shake up on this tour is the 5 show in a row stint at Madison Square Garden on the third leg. That will be interesting.

It will also be interesting to see how much the show changes at the Euro stadium shows.

Blue Room said:
I dont miss NY Day or Until The End Of The World all that much. Like the songs, but they have been played to death on past tours.

But there are those of us who were 11 years last tour....
Whose favourite songs are the above-mentioned.
Oh god, I hate it, I want to see Zoo Station so much but Until The End Of The World is just favourite song ever... I dunno what to do :(

Your right GD II, Being an old U2 fan I sat in the audience at Meadowlands 1 and watched the audience reaction to An Cat Dubh/ Into the Heart. There were a lot of younger fans around me and I could truly tell you that they rocked out to these "old" forgotten favorites. I've seen u2 perform Bullet, SBS 12 times and Pride 13 times and have to say that IMO they could do other material but what of the younger generation, they deserve to hear these songs live.

I dont get the someone "deserves" a certain song. Sorry but no. You dont even necessarily "deserve" to be at the show. You are lucky or fortunate to be there is the correct perspective IMO. I never even said they should drop NY Day or UTEOTW permenantly. I just said I dont mind that they are not playing them. Its my personal perspective. Would it bother me if they did? NO Its like me saying, I have been to 28 U2 shows throughout the years but have not heard them play One Tree Hill. I "deserve" to hear that for being a loyal fan. Think about it, how ridiculous is that? Same theory applies to all fans IMO. U2 plays what THEY feel works and what they want to play. Not what you think you deserve.

I just wish they'd add some more UF material (aside from Pride) to the setlist. A RnH/Lovetown song or two would be pretty neat as well.

Surprised by songs played: Zoo Station, 40, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, The Electric Co, Party Girl, The Fly, The Ocean, Gloria

Surprised by songs not played (or more than once): Desire, All I Want Is You, I Will Follow, Out Of Control , Stuck, Walk On, Please, Gone, UTEOTW, Crumbs

overall I must say I'm very very pleasantly surprised :)

Nisse said:
Surprised by songs played: Zoo Station, 40, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, The Electric Co, Party Girl, The Fly, The Ocean, Gloria

Surprised by songs not played (or more than once): Desire, All I Want Is You, I Will Follow, Out Of Control , Stuck, Walk On, Please, Gone, UTEOTW, Crumbs

overall I must say I'm very very pleasantly surprised :)

You're right. I forgot about Walk On and Stuck In A Moment. Those were 2 songs I thought would be shoo-ins for the tour.

Maybe a little too much caffiene, Blue Room? Since '83 I've been just "Thankful" to see them and don't really think I deserve to see any song they do live just stated while there's a lot of old U2 fans like me out there that have been lucky enough to go so many shows and see some of the standards over and over again, it good to allow the younger fans that same chance - IMHO they deserve it.:madspit:

I want to hear Stay and Please full band, on this tour. And I hold hope for both because they are two of Bono's favourite songs ever (as told in in Bono on Bono/Conversations with Bono).

I also want to hear Electrical Storm, and I think we will.

Those would all be pleasant suprises for me. :)

I fully agree with Blue Room; no one "deserves" anything at a show other than the band's best effort. I also agree with him that I "deserve" to see One Tree Hill. :wink:

Especially these days, if you give a rip, you can find out what they're playing and sell your ticket (quite possibly at a profit) if you don't want to go.

Things I was surprised to hear:
*Electric Co. (never thought I'd be so lucky, or that they would be so cool as to bring this back)
*An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart (never thought they'd even think about it... bravo)
*The Ocean (same as above)
*Gloria (after Bono supposedly said he was embarrassed by it, and it didn't make "Best Of" I)
*Zoo Station (I've thought it could come back, but I'm surprised they pulled the trigger)
*40 (thought they'd wait a bit longer)
*LAPOE opener (others here called it... I didn't see it coming, but I think it works GREAT)

Things I was surprised NOT to hear:
*Kite (thought it would be paired with Sometimes, and would represent ATYCLB well)
*I Will Follow, Out of Control, 11 O'Clock (figured there would be some 25th anniversary, Boy-type stuff, but I thought it would be these more often-played songs)

Things NOT surprised by:
*Bookend Vertigo (figured that Bono would be tempted to recreate the early U2, repeating songs like 11 O'Clock and I Will Follow; plus they REALLY like Vertigo)
*Running to Stand Still (it just seemed like it was time, although I thought they might finally kick Bullet in favor of LAPOE)
*Sunday Bloody Sunday (figured this would pair with LAPOE in a "war is hell" segment)
*COBL opener (seemed obvious from the first spin of the record)
*Vertigo second (again, seemed an obvious No. 2 song in the list, pumping the crowd up after the opener breaks the initial tension)
*No Crumbs (I just had a feeling this would be MIA)
*Elevation (as a big crowd-involvement song, I'm not surprised (nor horrified) that this was played again)

I was lucky enough to see One Tree Hill on the JT tour, it was excellent.
I saw somewhere there was a snippet of Ultra Violet in one of the last shows, does anyone think this will be a possible full song selection anywhere in the next two legs? It's definitely one of my favorite Live U2 songs.

YBORCITYOBL said:
Maybe a little too much caffiene, Blue Room? Since '83 I've been just "Thankful" to see them and don't really think I deserve to see any song they do live just stated while there's a lot of old U2 fans like me out there that have been lucky enough to go so many shows and see some of the standards over and over again, it good to allow the younger fans that same chance - IMHO they deserve it.:madspit:

Not really, I just see alot of fans on here and elsewhere recently that seem to have this sense of entitlement for some reason and I think its ridiculous. Thats basically what I'm commenting on based on what you guys said. No need to get hostile about it. I still dont think anyone deserves ANY song. Your lucky they are even playing this tour and new fans should just be happy to see them for the first time and not go in with a shopping list of songs.

yeah, I guess I do also agree with you about the "deserved" comment, really I meant it for GOD Part 111 being so young and no having many chances to see them as I am lucky enough to. What I'm saying is they could show up one night, plug in and play the same song all night and I would be happy. It seems like you thought was biching abt setlist when I'm happy to see these guys playing into three different decades. I still would lke to see Ultra Violet.

Last Nite on Earth is another great song I don't readily always think of but as I stated before I truly am just happy to see them touring and lucky enough to see them at all.

I still wonder though if they'll pull out Ultra Violet Light my way. Your's or anyone else's thoughts?

Lots of surprises on this tour: Boy songs - 5 of them, Gloria, 40, Running to stand still, Zoo station, The fly, Who's gonna ride your wild horses.

Also a big surprise for me no Electrical Storm and only two ATYCLB songs, no Rattle and Hum songs and no Pop songs.

Missing Song?

Is it me or have they not played "a man and a woman" at all? I just think its weird I haven't seen it listed anywhere. Why do the rest of the album and not that one?

Re: Missing Song?

Megolopolis said:
Is it me or have they not played "a man and a woman" at all? I just think its weird I haven't seen it listed anywhere. Why do the rest of the album and not that one?

They havent played Crumbs From Your Table or One Step Closer either. So its not like Man And Woman is the only song from the new album they havent done. They have very rarely done an entire album they are touring for in the past. I doubt this tour will be any different. I'm hoping for Crumbs at some point, but the other two I think at the most will only be snippeted.

Back
Top Bottom