Setlist-My Own rearrangement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcoriha

The Fly
Here is my idea for the setlist solution (all relative cause from my own view, I think I can write the best setlists for my own band, and therefore U2 also gets that respect from me)

COBL - good as opener, I can understand wanting to open with a positive note, rather then the awesome doom of Love & Peace)

Vertigo/Stories for Boys - good placement

Cry/The Electric Co. - (I wonder if this could count as 1 from October since Cry and Is That All? is the same riff)

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - Bono has wanted to bring these back since they dropped them for TUF so I'm not surpised they finally did it. If you look thru old sets they have almost always been early in the set, even though it adds a weird slow down in momentum. I think they as a band like that dynamic, so I say keep it that way.

Electrical Storm - I think since this seemed to get a lot of radio play (where I'm at at least) they should at least play it a lot while it's fresh in everyone's minds (HMTMKMKM, GBHF). Plus it adds a a little more upbeat to flow into...

Beautiful Day - this has the next U2 classic. It will forever more be in every set, but I think by the next tour it needs either be 2nd to last in the main set (Streets), or the beginning of the last encore. I was surpised they didn't open with the last tour, then Elevation, that just always seemed to work better to me.

New Year's Day - of all the old favorites this seems to be the only one that still gets played with the same passion (maybe cause they had short breaks from it in the beginning of ZOO, & Pop). Plus it's easy for the crowd to sing to, and an important up after BD

Miracle Drug - An upbeat song that starts slow, perfect for the crowd to catch it's breath before jumping back in.

Sometimes - IMO 1 of the best songs from the new album, I really like the addon of "No Regrets".

The Unforgettable Fire - this is where it starts to be more of a fan's wish. I really hope they add this song, even with some kind of new arrangement.

A Man and a Woman - this song should take it's rightful place as the successor to Party Girl/TtTYAAtW/Babyface/Desire/In a Little While, as the segue to an Acoustic type set. I like the show without the acoustic set, but if went to 2 hours then it's likely to include something like that.

to be continued...

Stuck in a Moment - not my personal favorite but the band probably wants to play newer material.

Yahweh- good acoustic version. It got the crowd singalong and that's the ultimate test.

Original of the Species - this song needs to be played, even more if ti becomes a single. I want the full version, but if they played an acoustic version, that's better then nothing.

The Hands That Built America - probably an Acoustic version

One - although this has started to age, I think the message is so important to U2 that they want to play it anyways. I think the ending verse needs to be in though. Keep in mind, according to Flanagan's book that this song, although commonly said to be about many causes and what not, is really about U2 on the verge of breaking up, and coming up with the song that broke open the door to Achtung Baby, and continued the band on it's path. I doubt it will ever be retired.

One Step Closer - this could be a segue from One to...

Streets - the ultimate U2 song to many people. I think after this tour this song needs to be the new closer, since it seems to bring together all that U2 represents.

Running to Stand Still - Many are happy to see this back, I think the ultimate is the ZOO TV version, but they seem to have melded both versions.

Love And Peace or Else - I really hope I can get tix to both Oakland shows, cause I knew from the record this would rule live. I still think that the ending could easily flow into Vertigo (maybe a little switching from night to night with City)

Exit - I think this would be a great meld from Love and Peace theme wise and everything.

Elevation - the newer hit to bring the crowd back up...

Walk On - ... to finish the mainset.

to be continued

Zoo Station - this seems to be liked by everyone, but a tighter lyrical version maybe.

The Fly - everyone had high hopes after the Elevation version. I have to agree, but I think they should that with the guitar solo and then go straight into...

Ultraviolet - ...which originally was part of the same song. They haven't played it since mid Zooropa, and everyone seems to want it back.

All Because of You - the new single, and of course a great song as well.

Gloria - taking a better IMO place in the encores

Fast Cars - again, an upbeat acoustic (in the vein of Party Girl) add to the encores

Crumbs from Your Table - better to use this new song as a vechile for Africa IMO. Everyone is waiting for it also anyway.

"40" - glad to hear it again. I hope they play it for this tour as thank you to the fans, but I think next it would be best to end with Streets simply because fans seemed to be shocked when they stopped playing it the first time, and given time it is now sweet again. No overexposures here, thank you.

I would like to note that I have many favorites that are not on this list that as a setgeek I would freak if I heard -

Another Time, Another Place
Shadows and Tall Trees
I Fall Down
Tomorrow
A Celebration
Drowning Man
Wire
Indian Summer Sky
One Tree Hill
Heartland
So Cruel
Acrobat
Zooropa
Dirty Day
MoFo
The Playboy Mansion
When I Look at the World

I just think that if they want to have the new album be as big as they say, then they have to play all of it, and they need to give many of all the favorites a rest for a little while -

Bad - (I love this song, but it's hard for Bono to sing now, and the memory is what endures of the song to me)

Pride - (this will always be played but I think if they only did it at huge shows they would regain some of it's passion)

Bullet/End of the World - (every era has it's special BIG songs Electric Co/Surrender, and these 2 have had their days in the sun. In 10 years imagine what you'd think if they play either of these after not hearing it for that long)

Desire - one of my favorite initial U2 songs. I hate to hear this song acoustic.

The Real Thing - I just don't think it fits this tour

Some songs to be great to hear every few shows

ISHFWILF
WoWY
All I Want is You
Mysterious Ways
In a Little While
Gone
Please
Kite
I Will Follow
Out of Control
11 O Clock Tick Tock

Last edited:
i have a great idea for the transition into Streets, by playing October just before as as Bono cries out at the end of the song aka Lovetown tour the song transends into the start of Streets. Think back to Please on the Popmart tour, it would be a bit like that but I think even more powerful and poignant.

I think Surrender, Wire and Unforgettable Fire would be amazing to hear, as well as I Fall Down and Two Hearts Beat As One could get people singing along.

I would love to hear them play more songs from AB.
Acrobat and Ultraviolt Light would be awesome.
I would love to hear them finish with Walk On, that is the best closer IMO. I like 40 but Walk On shits all over it, IMO of couse. I would also like to hear them open with Love and Peace. With the intro being played on the PA as they walk out, then have Larry kick in with the drums, but i can see why the opened with COBL.

I would be perfectly happy if they omit Pride from the rest of the setlists and never include Still havnen't found or walk on. Those songs are weak and don't have any live energy. Would love to see A Sort of Homecoming, Like A Song, Acrobat, Exit, Even Better than the real thing, Gone, Last night on Earth, UF, Bad (where did this one go?) or Red Hill Mining Town cycled into the sets (though they won't play the latter - Bono can't hit the notes. Sunday Bloody Sunday is also starting to get old and lose it's kick....

Back
Top Bottom