Setlist for Axver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zwervers2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hi Axver. Little bit of a setlist freak myself and I think this would be a very cool set if they played it. I played the transitions on guitar today to see if they would melt so to speak..
What do you think?

Everyone
City
Elec. Co
Gloria
Unforgettable fire
Miracle drug
New Yearsday
LAPOE
SBS
Bullet
Running (crowd keeps shouting still running at the end) guitar of
SYCMIOYO starts
SYCMIOYO
Streets
Beautiful day
---------------
Zoostation
Fly
Vertigo
--------------
ABOY
Bad
With or Without you
Yahweh
One

Normaly I do not have a "I want this or that song to be played"but to see the unforgettable fire once. I would love it. I still remember being at Slane aug 25 2001 and after the concert they put the tape on with this song and the fireworks started. I remember thinking ïf they would have played this during the ocncert I would have freaked out four times lol...1 during the intro, 2 streets, 3 one with Bono crying..it was intense to say the least.

I would love to hear it once....

A change. Place UTEOTW before Aboy and drop WOWY

so it would be like this...would LOVE this set
Everyone
City
Elec. Co
Gloria
Unforgettable fire
Miracle drug
New Yearsday
LAPOE
SBS
Bullet
SYCMIOYO starts
SYCMIOYO
Streets
Beautiful day
---------------
Zoostation
Fly
Vertigo
--------------
UTEOTW
ABOY
Bad
Yahweh
One

zwervers2 said:
I played the transitions on guitar today to see if they would melt so to speak..

That's what I try to do myself, though because I haven't played guitar in a while, I just imagine it in my head. I often try to link the guitar, bass, or drums, or if I can't do that, I put together songs that are sonically or thematically similar - i.e. Gloria and Yahweh or Rejoice and With A Shout.

And on the whole, I think your set is great. I particularly love this:

LAPOE
SBS
Bullet
SYCMIOYO starts
SYCMIOYO
Streets
Beautiful day

They really should play that.

UTEOTW
ABOY
Bad
Yahweh
One

Not sure about this, though. I simply can't imagine Bad after ABOY. How do you justify that one, how does that flow?

They need to do something about the streets beginning. Damn. Maybe they don't want to repeat other tours.

My solution: MLK...like the superbowl, that was incredible. It's only a minute or two so it's not really another song, and it's an emotional segway into Streets

Here's the perfect setlist for me (and probably Axver, too!)...

01. Where The Streets Have No Name
02. Gloria
03. Desire
04. All Along The Watchtower
05. God Part II
06. Acrobat
07. Exit
08. Bullet The Blue Sky
09. Running To Stand Still
10. MLK
11. City Of Blinding Lights
12. The Unforgettable Fire --> Promenade --> 4th Of July (with bits of Bass Trap) --> Bad (with Ruby Tuesday, Simpathy For The Devil, and All I Want Is You)
13. The Electric Co.
14. The Fly
15. Vertigo (w/Stories For Boys and outro of Wire)
16. Gone
17. October --> New Year's Day
18. Heartland

19. Hawkmoon 269
20. A Sort Of Homecoming
21. Pride
22. 40

Tourist, that is :drool: :drool: :drool:

Though you haven't seen the perfect set just yet. :wink:

And October after Gone?

Axver said:

And October after Gone?

I could see October after Gone for some reason. At first I questioned myself. Then I listened to live versions of them back to back with the fader on so the crowd noise remained up. And it just seemed to work. *shrugs*

Axver said:

And October after Gone?

However! I just realized a song that is VERY missing. Stick 11 O' Clock Tick Tock between Pride and 40. :drool:

the tourist said:

I could see October after Gone for some reason. At first I questioned myself. Then I listened to live versions of them back to back with the fader on so the crowd noise remained up. And it just seemed to work. *shrugs*

Really? I can't hear it in my head at all, but I'll have to find a couple of live versions to try it with.

I've always liked to use Gone --> UTEOTW. I often use that to open encores on fantasy sets.

the tourist said:

However! I just realized a song that is VERY missing. Stick 11 O' Clock Tick Tock between Pride and 40. :drool:

While you're at it, let's put Twilight after 11 O'clock Tick Tock.

I can only hope the band bring that song back at least once on this tour. Heck, they brought back An Cat Dubh, which I thought was less likely!

Axver said:

I can only hope the band bring that song back at least once on this tour. Heck, they brought back An Cat Dubh, which I thought was less likely!

I wonder if they'd bring back anything else from October. I'd love to see I Threw A Brick Through A Window/A Day Without Me again.....:drool:

I think my favourite two parts of my setlist are the connection of the synth from Running To Stand Still --> MLK --> City Of Blinding Lights and the outro of Wire in Vertigo. :drool:

the tourist said:

I wonder if they'd bring back anything else from October. I'd love to see I Threw A Brick Through A Window/A Day Without Me again.....:drool:

If, at one of my Boston concerts, U2 come out and play ONLY I Threw A Brick --> A Day Without Me, I will leave the show a happy man.

I am hoping they will consider October at some point.

the tourist said:
I think my favourite two parts of my setlist are the connection of the synth from Running To Stand Still --> MLK --> City Of Blinding Lights and the outro of Wire in Vertigo. :drool:

Wee bit biased towards UF --> Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad myself, but you can't take credit for that. :wink:

Axver said:

Wee bit biased towards UF --> Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad myself, but you can't take credit for that. :wink:

True story. I wish I could! (did you like my inclusion of Bass Trap with 4th of July...?)

the tourist said:

True story. I wish I could! (did you like my inclusion of Bass Trap with 4th of July...?)

Yes, I thought that was a pretty neat inclusion!

I'm fond of Heartland --> Bass Trap --> A Sort Of Homecoming if you want the whole song.

The setlist I posted was base on what they have played so far and the 3 additions of UF, UTEOTW and Bad....I agree with the Bad, aboy part. What they could do is place aboy earlier in the set because -you are right- the flow with bad is kinda bad...I think the part before the break is outstanding..what they could do with bad->aboy is is end bad with aiwiy...keep bono screaming those words along with the public and then crush in with the drum of aboy like they used to do with for instance all along the watchtower...could sound pretty nice...see where I'm going with this...

I'm not impressed with the last couple of songs in the set..doesnt seem to flow so well...the setlist would now be:

Everyone
City
Elec. Co
Gloria
Unforgettable fire
Miracle drug
New Yearsday
LAPOE
SBS
Bullet
SYCMIOYO starts
SYCMIOYO
Streets
Beautiful day
---------------
Zoostation
Fly
Vertigo
--------------
UTEOTW
Bad/AIWIY(keep shouting those words Bono!)
drums like all along the watchtower-> aboy
Yahweh
One

zwervers2, that's actually a really good idea for linking Bad and ABOY. The band did successfully flow Bad into Bullet on ZooTV, so anything's possible. Not so sure I can see UTEOTW --> Bad, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt as the UTEOTW --> IGWSHA transition worked, even if IGWSHA itself did not!

I don't like that the band are following ABOY with Yahweh and I think it needs to be changed unless they start playing Yahweh electrically. Yahweh/One/40 works, though.

And Aardvark, I know you hate Heartland. :wink:

Axver said:

I'm sorry Axver...don't agree...Twilight for all it's excellence does not quite have what An Cat Dubh has. An Cat Dubh has that amazing riff at the beginning which on its own can stand up with most modern day crap. It is one of those older tracks that can be given a 'modern day' injection and added into a set.

An Cat Dubh was a great live track back in the early days and it sounds just as good now. I can't imagine Twilight ever getting the same treatment somehow...!

And Aardvark, I know you hate Heartland. :wink:

Heartland is an amazing song and one of my favorites!

It was originally demoed during the Joshua Tree sessions and rejected by everyone except Bono who wanted it to follow or put between two other songs on the Joshua Tree album as he felt they should be kept together. Don't ask me what two songs they were as I really cannot remember, but I'm positive those other two tracks were on the Joshua Tree album.

Thankfully Heartland was re-recorded for Rattle & Hum.

Axver said:

I don't like that the band are following ABOY with Yahweh and I think it needs to be changed unless they start playing Yahweh electrically.

Very true..Even though I like the soft version of Yahweh I would love to hear them play the alt. version which in my opinion is superior to the album version..that would work realy well..

The transition from until the end of the world to bad is very well possible...just let edge's guitar ring out like he does on uteotw-> NYD...just a few lines from bono covering beatles, stones or pink floyd and here we go...almost every u2 songs can flow into another..hell almost every song can..being a musician myself I am very fond of glueing songs together...in a concept album kind of way...

Back
Top Bottom