Set list variation...this is how all bands should do it no matter how big or small

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maybe if U2 would spend less time coming up with schemes to keep their best fans further away at concerts and more time rehearsing they would be able play more varied setlists

oh snap! a dig at U2 for the lottery and static setlists in one statement, doesnt get much better than that :wink:

The OOTS said:

However, I can appreciate PJs aversion to longer, unpredictable setlists than to U2s present cookie cutter versions.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying you "appreciate PJ's aversion to longer, unpredictable setlists." Quite the opposite is true: PJ is obviously not averse to long, unpredictable setlists.

The point of my previous post, prompted by the earlier posts comparing Pearl Jam's setlists to U2, was simply that I think PJ sucks, therefore, I'd prefer a static U2 setlist to any PJ setlist any day.

Also, while I wish they would change it up a bit more, the current setlist is hardly simply a "greatest hits" setlist. All of the following songs have been played regularly this year, and none could be described as hits (at least insofar as "hit" usually means commercial success as a single, rather than simply a hardcore fan faveorite): Zoo Station, The Fly, Yahweh, The Electric Co., Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, The Ocean, 40, An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Gloria (maybe a minor "hit" comercially, in Ireland anyway), All I Want is You, plus several more non-hits (both from the new album and oldies) that have been played only once or twice this year.

A No-Hit setlist would be cool though:

1. Mofo
2. One Tree Hill
3. Surrender
4. Two Hearts Beat As One
5. Wire
6. Acrobat
7. In God's Country
8. If God Would Send His Angels
9. The Unforgettable Fire
10. When I Look At The World
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Crumbs from Your Table
13. Do You Feel Loved
14. Seconds
15. A Day Without Me
16. Like A Song

17. Zooropa
18. Ultraviolet
19. City Of Blinding Lights

20. Electrical Storm
21. Gone
22. God Part II

God Part II would be such a great ender to a show. Strobe lights firing all over, spotlights swirling, "I, I believe in love. Stop." Place goes pitch black, band leaves and house lights come up.

Last edited:
Snowlock, the funny part about your set is that In God's Country, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Electrical Storm, and If God Will Send His Angels are all more successful songs than the 'hits' people want left out of the set such as Bullet The Blue Sky.

EmitFlesti said:

I'm not sure what you mean by saying you "appreciate PJ's aversion to longer, unpredictable setlists." Quite the opposite is true: PJ is obviously not averse to long, unpredictable setlists.

The point of my previous post, prompted by the earlier posts comparing Pearl Jam's setlists to U2, was simply that I think PJ sucks, therefore, I'd prefer a static U2 setlist to any PJ setlist any day.

Also, while I wish they would change it up a bit more, the current setlist is hardly simply a "greatest hits" setlist. All of the following songs have been played regularly this year, and none could be described as hits (at least insofar as "hit" usually means commercial success as a single, rather than simply a hardcore fan faveorite): Zoo Station, The Fly, Yahweh, The Electric Co., Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, The Ocean, 40, An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Gloria (maybe a minor "hit" comercially, in Ireland anyway), All I Want is You, plus several more non-hits (both from the new album and oldies) that have been played only once or twice this year.

:wink: I meant adversion. Forgot the 'd'.

I am glad U2 has played Electric Co, Zoo Station, Gloria, RTSS etc. They've played those songs A LOT this tour and almost every night.

They have played to death this tour and the last tour.... Pride (hit) SBS (hit) Elevation NYD (hit) Beautiful Day (hit) One (hit) Bullet (played EVERY tour since JT) The Fly (hit...although I love this song). All I Want is you (done last tour) An Cat Dubh hasn't been played much in Europe. 40 in Europe? The Ocean is a 2 min time waster...hardly a U2 classic. Let's play Vertigo twice.

They have to play the new material (point of the tour), but my feeling is that they could lose one or two of these songs and rotate in a few more. People are excited to hear Bad or Until the End of the World, Wild Horses, etc. Why do you think those setlists generate a lot of discussions on this board?? Zooropa and Pop have been ignored this tour. Where is Electrical Storm? Where is Walk On once in a while? 11'o Clock?? HMTMKMKM?? In God's Country? Crumbs? Where are the audience guitar players?? That's the type of 'unpredictablility' that make shows really memorable. They have to be getting bored of this standard list. They don't even really move the order of songs around. Same thing practically every show. They could do it in their sleep.

They pull out Miss Sarajevo last night, and people got excited around here!! A NEW SONG!!

I guess it is wishful thinking to have U2 do another Lovetown type tour.

PS-- PJ does not suck (although their last album did) ....they're incredible musicians who have no production gimmicks to their shows and they tear down the house.

Last edited:
everyone should just except the fact that what you see is what you get. because of the setlist this tour ( which i think sucks ) we all have nothing better to do than bitch. just listen to the albums, you all would be alot happier

Back
Top Bottom