Seattle 2 - 2 encores and VERTIGO X2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the tourist said:
I would have agreed with you, Axver, all the way. But being there made it different than just reading about it or listening to the mp3s. For some reason I now feel like I partook in a true piece of U2 history. Something that hasn't happened in a long time. I hope to God it doesn't happen again. Because it would kill that wonderful selfish "I got to see something special and unique" feeling I have right now about it.

That's exactly the way I felt on 4-20-01 in San Jose when Kite made its debut and Stay for the first time in North America. There was something special going on that night, everyone felt it. Later, Bono would go on to say it was the best show of his career, something he's never said before.

Now some will say "but, at least you saw two new songs and not a repeat!". Thats not the point. The point is, the feeling people walked out of there was the same. From the sounds of it, they were beaming just like us. I wish I could've been there to feel it all over again. :drool:

PhoenixGNX said:

That's exactly the way I felt on 4-20-01 in San Jose when Kite made its debut and Stay for the first time in North America. There was something special going on that night, everyone felt it. Later, Bono would go on to say it was the best show of his career, something he's never said before.

Totally!
I was at that show as well and felt exactly what your were talking about (I then went to 7 Elevation shows afterwards, and loved them all, but never had that same feeling)

I was hoping San Jose 2 this year would be similar, and when they played Original of the Species for the first time it was great, but April 20, 2001 was something special.

I'm happy for everyone who was at the Seattle show and felt that way this year!

Never seen so much bitching from a bunch of whiners who WEREN'T EVEN AT THE CONCERT (and some of whom have NEVER EVEN BEEN TO A U2 CONCERT) - it's pathetic.

And the reports from the people who WERE at the concert are that it was fucking amazing!!!! making the whining even more ridiculous. Are you concerned about having the same song twice in your bootlegs?

Vpk0718 said:
All those complaining about the second Vertigo, please go read the the review thread.

Edit: Also, I had binoculars, so I went ahead and took a look at the setlist by Larry's drums (I was to the side of the stage). I couldn't make any specific songs out, but the last song on the setlist only had two letters, so they were definitely planning on closing with 40.

I have a setlist print out (they gave it to Jason, my son after he was on stage), and 40 was scheduled. I LOVED the 2nd vertigo, and so did everyone in the ellipse. A great closing song. Would I have loved to hear something else, probably, but jeez, who am I to complain? I turned to my friends and we were all in disbelief - man, we're getting it a second time! Cool!. I thought the setlist was great with the way they changed things up. I've seen 40 so many times I'm glad it was out. Its only one time for christs sake - go to any other show in the next 8 months and you'll get it. STOP COMPLAINING and appreciate what you get!!!

I was there too, and I concur with those who say that the band pulled a spur-of-the-moment audible. There was a ton of energy in the building all night, and it appeared that Bono wanted to go out with a bang--especially after OOTS took some of the wind out of the sails (many people near our section sat down for this song).

Isn't that something all of us wish/hope to get at a U2 concert--something special and totally unique to forever remember our experience by? I too was hoping for Yahweh and 40, but this ending somehow seemed perfect. It made the show MY show.

My theory is that the band wanted to come out for one more quick encore ("40"), which is why the lights stayed down for so long. As others stated there seemed to be a discussion going on backstage. But I suspect they were forced to quit because of the need to set up for the Sonics-Kings playoff game the next day. In fact, just as the lights came up I saw someone running on or near the stage with a ladder. Things needed to come down in a hurry, thus no "40" and up with the house lights.

The way that Bono sang SYCMIOYO with that kid on stage was touching, and poignantly underscored that the song is about a father and a son.

Last edited:
I was there on Seattle night 2, and I had a blast during that second kick of Vertigo! I don't know why others are whining about it. U2 and Seattle rocked Key Arena on that last song and, if you think about it, we go something different than anyone else has on that set. So what if they had already played it. They played a rockin' song and had fun.

Back
Top Bottom