Seattle 2 - 2 encores and VERTIGO X2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
right on

u2girlcj said:
Holy crap, serves me right for posting the set list as soon as I got home.

At least there are some voices of reason here! I sware to you that after seeing both shows, getting my "Bono moment" and Adam Moment(s) in GA on Sunday and breathlessly watching them leave to 40, I still found the ending last night to be fucking awesome. And I wasn't even a Vertigo fan until then.

I don't like to repeat myself from that other thread, but the second version was faster, harder, better, and every damn person was into it. The energy of the show at the end was different than any other U2 show I've been to.

To anyone who complains from afar, I will godamn guarantee you that if you were THERE in the building last night you wouldn't be so upset today.

If you had told me yesterday afternoon that they wouldn't end on 40, I'd be PISSED. But look at me today! I'm so damn elated that I can't even find a smilie to express it!!!!!!!!!

U2girl, I think this is exactly right. I apologize for repeating my self in some way but the audience really pulled it out at the end. Especially after "All Because of You" gave us one more shot of adrenaline, I personally was looking forward to "40" to go out on a chill note. I think many of the people seated around me (in the back of the Key) were wiped from standing/dancing all night.

When the drum beat revealed itself to be "Vertigo" we came un fucking glued. As, it turns out, did 17,000 of our friends.

It was a spontaneous, ballsy move by the band and the Seattle crowd repaid it with complete euphoria. It was stellar. And my neck is absolutely killing me today. I swear to god I nearly went over the railing in front of my seat.

Trust us, it was why God made live shows.

the tourist said:

Axver, the crowd went ballistic for Vertigo the second time. It was the loudest and the most cheering I heard either night. It workt. It workt well.

As I said before, I really don't care how good it was. It's the fact that they chose to repeat a song, rather than whipping out something equally rocking but 'new', such as I Will Follow.

Of course, I'm a hypocrite. I'd be ecstatic if they played 11 O'clock Tick Tock twice, but then again, I'll take a show of 23 performances of that song, so I don't think it's a valid comparison!

Honestly, I'd have little problem with this if they had come back for 40. Playing a song again on the spur of the moment is fun and exciting, but playing a song again at the expense of something new? I don't think that's good at all if you are a band with the depth of catalogue that U2 has.

And again, I reiterate: why not I Will Follow or Out Of Control?

Axver said:

As I said before, I really don't care how good it was. It's the fact that they chose to repeat a song, rather than whipping out something equally rocking but 'new', such as I Will Follow.

Of course, I'm a hypocrite. I'd be ecstatic if they played 11 O'clock Tick Tock twice, but then again, I'll take a show of 23 performances of that song, so I don't think it's a valid comparison!

Honestly, I'd have little problem with this if they had come back for 40. Playing a song again on the spur of the moment is fun and exciting, but playing a song again at the expense of something new? I don't think that's good at all if you are a band with the depth of catalogue that U2 has.

Out of Control :drool: Why do you put these thoughts in my head!! :hyper:

But how about *in addition to* that 2nd Vertigo, damnit!

*never though she'd see the day when she'd defend Vertigo to the death*

Re: right on

gregvernon said:

U2girl, I think this is exactly right. I apologize for repeating my self in some way but the audience really pulled it out at the end. Especially after "All Because of You" gave us one more shot of adrenaline, I personally was looking forward to "40" to go out on a chill note. I think many of the people seated around me (in the back of the Key) were wiped from standing/dancing all night.

When the drum beat revealed itself to be "Vertigo" we came un fucking glued. As, it turns out, did 17,000 of our friends.

It was a spontaneous, ballsy move by the band and the Seattle crowd repaid it with complete euphoria. It was stellar. And my neck is absolutely killing me today. I swear to god I nearly went over the railing in front of my seat.

Trust us, it was why God made live shows.

I agree absolutely! We were so lucky last night! :hug: Last night, for whatever reason I needed for it to go out like that. And apparently the rest of the band did too! :wink:

I don't know how I stayed on my feet jumping in those heels like I did and I know my vision was a little blurry, but you just push through it and it's all good...

My dad was with me (his first U2 show) and here he was, this guy who's been to Queen and Stevie Ray Vaughn and Joe Cocker and tons of others, he came in thinking it was no big deal and by the time *that* Vertigo was over he was literally bowing his arms to the stage. :bow:

And after that he bought a T-shirt :wink:

Axver said:

It sounds like the show was fantastic because of Bono's spur of the moment decision. What setlist fanatics have to remember is that when you're actually at the show, you're probably enjoying the show itself and feeding off the passion and energy, not just taking notes of what songs were and were not played.:wink:

That said, judging by the comments of people who were at the show, it sounds like it was freaking awesome!:drool:

Axver said:

Is it me, or does someone here have an undying love for Boy and October? Just something I notice about your song selections on 90% of your posts that I read. :eyebrow: :wink:

Lets take a different view of this. It sounds like Bono sensed something with the crowd and decided to take the show out with a bang. Well, why didn't he go with something new? If the group hadn't been practicing it and the lights crew integrating it into the show, then it would be highly unlikely he would do it on the spur of the moment without anyone else knowing what he wanted to do. So he took something he knew would work and went with it. It sounds like the crowd went nuts over it, so maybe they will end future shows with Vertigo and put something else at the front. Congrats to those who were there to enjoy it. It doesn't matter for me as I will enjoy their shows in Detroit & Cleveland whatever they play although I would like to see ISHFWILF & UTEOTW but it doesn't look likely this time.

Last edited:
Good for them.

As I've said several times, any effort to mix it up and keep it lively is a good thing.

Having been to Seattle I, I'm not surprised at all that they turned in a banger for No. II. Great crowd, and the band, especially Bono, seemed to be very jacked.

I can absolutely imagine the crowd going nuts for Vertigo 2.

So Axver, think of it this way: they never actually *finished* performing Vertigo; they just segued, after a pause, into Beautiful Day, then *finished* Vertigo at the end of the concert.

PhoenixGNX said:

Is it me, or does someone here have an undying love for Boy and October? Just something I notice about your song selections on 90% of your posts that I read. :eyebrow: :wink:

Boy and October :drool:

That said, UF and Lovetown are the best.

The reason I said I Will Follow and Out Of Control in my previous post is that they are easy songs that are upbeat like Vertigo and that the band has performed extremely well recently (think Brooklyn Bridge). I do think a different song would've been wiser than a repeat of Vertigo.

broken toy said:
So Axver, think of it this way: they never actually *finished* performing Vertigo; they just segued, after a pause, into Beautiful Day, then *finished* Vertigo at the end of the concert.

:lmao: :up:

U2FanPeter said:

My interpretation for VertigoX2 was they wanted to end this rocking show on a high note rather than the somber yahweh/40. Also, there is a first album theme on this tour and they use to repeat songs in 1981 shows because they only knew 12 songs - last night harkened back to that era for first and only time in 23 YEARS!!!!

They did Trip through your wires twice, back in E rutherford 1987, but back then the first version sucked.

Cool thread though. Guess the guys had fun onstage. and that's a good thing. If they are having fun, we sure will. I would love to see them play a 52 song set of songs they haven't played for a while, but when I got tickets I knew they would play their new album, 10 hits and about 5 older songs. Don't mind, it's been for years and I wanna see them live.

vertigo x2

I have to agree, to me it seemed that bono ran back and stopped Adam and Edge from starting on next song and then told us the if I can remember correctly the meaning of encore in italian which he said meant play the same f---- song again and then they started in Vertigo and the whole arena went crazy, imo Bono wanted to end the show on a super high level. He had nothing but compliments for the fans in Seattle and how he enjoyed being in Seattle (before you ask I am not from Seattle, traveled from California to see the show) I think Bono even caught the stage crew by suprise as the stage lights did not get going until about half way throught the song. I was at the opening show and that was totally different, yesterday they looked like they were all having fun and totally enjoying themselves and the fans fed off Bono's, energy, I really enjoyed it when Adam was on the catwalk smiling away and having a great time and posing for pictures along the way.

djerdap said:

Who says it was for a TV promo? That makes no sense to me. One reviewer stated that the band was getting ready for 40 and then Bono changed his mind.
Stop making accusations if you don't know the facts.

That said, I am not a fan of this Vertigox2, if they kicked out 40. A band with such vast catalogue shouldn't do this. It would everything be cool if 40 was played. In this case, my reactions are mixed.

Why does a tv promo make no sense?

I've attended shows of two bands who came out and repeated a song played earlier in the set as the final encore. One was filmed for a tv show and the other for a promotional video for the song. For the promotional video, the band actually came out and told us that is what they were doing.

Unless the reviewer had access to the U2 dressing room, how would he know that Bono changed his mind? 40 had finished every show on the tour so far, so it wasn't difficult to predict that would end the show. On this occasion, everyone would have been wrong.

Anyway, as long as the guys who were at the show had a good time - and all the comments I've read suggest they saw an awesome show, then who really cares!!

Re: A nod to the past

gregvernon said:

As others are discussing other places, U2 used to play songs twice in their early shows. The 1981 Boston show included in "The Complete U2" box set (iTunes) has 11OCTT as its second song and in the encore. This year under Brooklyn Bridge they played Vertigo twice.

They also repeated it when they played the Jonathan Ross show in the UK last year. Unfortunately that version went unaired.

On that show they played a great version of Vertigo first followed by a great version of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and then I Will Follow. During that song Bono was trying to work up the crowd and amongst all these people going mad was a bloke sitting down straight faced. "Stand up you boring bastard!" said Bono. A great UK tv moment!!!

u2girlcj said:
Holy crap, serves me right for posting the set list as soon as I got home.

At least there are some voices of reason here! I sware to you that after seeing both shows, getting my "Bono moment" and Adam Moment(s) in GA on Sunday and breathlessly watching them leave to 40, I still found the ending last night to be fucking awesome. And I wasn't even a Vertigo fan until then.

I don't like to repeat myself from that other thread, but the second version was faster, harder, better, and every damn person was into it. The energy of the show at the end was different than any other U2 show I've been to.

To anyone who complains from afar, I will godamn guarantee you that if you were THERE in the building last night you wouldn't be so upset today.

If you had told me yesterday afternoon that they wouldn't end on 40, I'd be PISSED. But look at me today! I'm so damn elated that I can't even find a smilie to express it!!!!!!!!!

Well said U2girlcj.

I think everyone who did not attend the show and do not have anything positive to say about a second airing of Vertigo, whether it was a spontanious decision by Bono or not, should now hold their peace.

The main thing here is that the people who were there saw an awesome show and they loved what they saw.

u2girlcj said:

*never though she'd see the day when she'd defend Vertigo to the death*

Right there with you! Not a fan of this song until now. Is it just me (probably) but now when you listen to Vertigo does it take on a whole new meaning and energy for you?

I was there. It was a great show, but I would haver prefered to hear 40 at the end. It was cool to see Bono make the sponatenous decision (the last time I saw that it meant that we got a mini Bono and Edge version of '40' at the Seattle popmart show), but for me hearing Vertigo again was mostly just confusing.

Yeah, it did keep the energy going a bit but it didn't really provide any resolution. The show didn't seem over.

Ms. M said:

Right there with you! Not a fan of this song until now. Is it just me (probably) but now when you listen to Vertigo does it take on a whole new meaning and energy for you?

Absofreakinglutely. I saw them do Vertigo on Sun night and the first time Monday night and it wasn't until that second performance that I fully appreciated the possibilities of Vertigo.

Of the shows I've been to (starting only with Popmart, :| I know), there hasn't been another song with that same energy. It surprised the crap out of me too - it's not like all our other favorite U2 standards are "low energy" :lol:

Last edited:
Vertigo- OMG

Ms. M said:

I'd have to say that anyone who got burned out on Vertigo due to its overexposure on TV, MTV and radio will likely be re-introduced to the song live.

I wouldn't have said that after San Diego, in fact it sounded pretty much like the record. But it's first appearance (song #3) at Seattle II was balls-out crazy. Bono merely counted to two in German and let the Edge do the rest of the talking with all the punch that riff has to offer. I kid you not, it was stellar. There is absolutely no way the crowd could have been more "up" for the first appearance of Vertigo.

The second coming of Vertigo was such a shocker, and a happy and spontaneous twist, that it was hard to tell if the song was different or if the emotional high was distorting the experience. But considering how many others did hear an actual musical difference in the second take I'd guess they did switch it up a bit.

I can tell you the pace was out of control.

I love that song.

"I wonder if had not been already been 10 minutes past 11:00 that they would have come back. I think there was a major discussion going on. At least that's what I like to think."

It did take about 2 to 3 minutes for them to turn the lights on after Vertigo2 finished. I was on the side and could see in the back and it looked like they were discussing if they could continue the concert, but at 11:10pm, I think there is a curfew. In any event, just before the lights came on, one of the band members (couldn't tell who) ran through the black curtain while waving to the audience - this was at least 2 minutes after the show had ended. I would guess the band would've liked to play longer, but due to the curfew, maybe they couldn't.

GRBU2 said:
"I wonder if had not been already been 10 minutes past 11:00 that they would have come back. I think there was a major discussion going on. At least that's what I like to think."

It did take about 2 to 3 minutes for them to turn the lights on after Vertigo2 finished. I was on the side and could see in the back and it looked like they were discussing if they could continue the concert, but at 11:10pm, I think there is a curfew. In any event, just before the lights came on, one of the band members (couldn't tell who) ran through the black curtain while waving to the audience - this was at least 2 minutes after the show had ended. I would guess the band would've liked to play longer, but due to the curfew, maybe they couldn't.

That's interesting GRBU2, I thought I saw some techs getting stuff set up, and I completely had the feeling they wanted to come back (could be wishful thinking on my part, but I like to think they thought it too!) - those blue lights stayed on for so long it seemed before the house lights came up and people were so ready for more the entire time...not just us diehards either!! EVERYone!

Re: vertigo x2

rjr said:
I have to agree, to me it seemed that bono ran back and stopped Adam and Edge from starting on next song and then told us the if I can remember correctly the meaning of encore in italian which he said meant play the same f---- song again and then they started in Vertigo and the whole arena went crazy, imo Bono wanted to end the show on a super high level. He had nothing but compliments for the fans in Seattle and how he enjoyed being in Seattle (before you ask I am not from Seattle, traveled from California to see the show) I think Bono even caught the stage crew by suprise as the stage lights did not get going until about half way throught the song. I was at the opening show and that was totally different, yesterday they looked like they were all having fun and totally enjoying themselves and the fans fed off Bono's, energy, I really enjoyed it when Adam was on the catwalk smiling away and having a great time and posing for pictures along the way.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. :up:

everyone here sucks!

They never should have played Vertigo twice!!!

They OBVIOUSLY should have ended with Fast Cars... or Mercy...

jeeeeeeeeeeeez... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!??

seriously, though... the whining bitches here need to chill...

there is no proof that it was for a TV segment, it was spontaneous, everyone at the show seemed to have loved it...

get over it, enjoy the fact that U2 are still rocking hard... if you don't want to pay $180, then don't! Quit bringing up the ticket price! There are plenty of fans that would LOVE your ticket instead of you!
Do us all a favor and just stay home and listen to the Rock's Hottest Ticket bootleg one more time!!

Anyone else who is sick of the buzzkill posters, just remember:

DON'T LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YOU DOWN!!

I would have agreed with you, Axver, all the way. But being there made it different than just reading about it or listening to the mp3s. For some reason I now feel like I partook in a true piece of U2 history. Something that hasn't happened in a long time. I hope to God it doesn't happen again. Because it would kill that wonderful selfish "I got to see something special and unique" feeling I have right now about it.

Back
Top Bottom