Seattle 2 - 2 encores and VERTIGO X2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm.
I dunno if I like Vertigo x 2.
What I do like about it is that it's new, experimenting and it shows that the band isn't afraid to mess things up a bit and see if it works better.
But I miss "40"

djerdap said:

Who says it was for a TV promo? That makes no sense to me. One reviewer stated that the band was getting ready for 40 and then Bono changed his mind.
Stop making accusations if you don't know the facts.

That said, I am not a fan of this Vertigox2, if they kicked out 40. A band with such vast catalogue shouldn't do this. It would everything be cool if 40 was played. In this case, my reactions are mixed.

Read the rest of this thread before you bite someones head off. I'm not the only one guessing it was for a TV performance. Attack them as well. In fact, attack every post on this site that is based on speculation, that would be 90% of them.

Last edited:
I was right up in front, in the Bomb shelter, and Bono stopped Larry literally two seconds before he was going to hit the drumb beat for 40. Adam had to get his bass back, because he was already going to get his guitar to play 40, and switch sides with The Edge. Playing Vertigo twice was definately not a planned thing, so I really doubt it was for the TV special.

It looked to me like Bono was on an extreme energy high, and decided to change the ender on a whim at the last minute to send the crowd out on a high note.

I'm glad I got to hear 40 to close out night one. Overall, both shows were amazing, and I thought the Seattle crowd, at least the people on the floor, were way into it.

This kind of this isn't unheard of at all. Sure, a lot of bands repeat songs when they're starting out, but a lot of bands used to reprise songs during a live set as an encore. They'd always change it up a bit, and it usually worked out pretty well.

In fact Queen played We Will Rock You to start and end their shows for almost everyone of their later shows.

In fact Queen played We Will Rock You to start and end their shows for almost everyone of their later shows. [/B]

They only did this between 1978 and 1982. They toured until 1986 (and indeed they're touring again this year). The version at the start of the show was a faster, up-tempo version as well.

RA-D said:
I haven't heard anyone who was at the concert complaining and until I do I won't care.

Indeed.

In fact, almost every review of last night's show seems to consider the reprise of Vertigo a rockin' highlight.

"Ein, zwei, drei, vierzehn!" :rockon:

ruffian said:
and i don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Eddie Vedder coming out to do a song with Kings of Leon...awesome!!!!! He destroyed about 5 tambourines.

Wow! How could no one have mentioned this yet? That's huge! That would be like Adam walking out and singing a song with Tracy Chapman when she opened for Sting.

Yeah and very weird setlist!!

I was at last night's show - up in the rafters and I yes I was a bit disappointed that they didn't paly 40 (really looking forward to it). However I absolutely dug hearing Vertigo again (not one of my favs) but the energy it gives off is absolutely amazing. It had everyone on their feet going crazy, even up on the nosebleeds!

I was watching with the binoculars and watched Bono run to each of the guys and its was apparent he was about to switch gears and end on a powerful and high energy note! The second version kinda reminded me of the Temple Bar mix in places. It was, IMO, totally different and I think had tons more energy than the first time around.

The only thing that bothered me at the end was how long they waited before turning the house lights on. Not a nice tease.

:lol: Now this thread is funny. The setlist bitchers complain because U2's shows are predictable and have no spontaneity. So U2 shows some, and the setlist bitchers dont like the spontaneity displayed. :lol:

So I guess U2 needs to play the exact songs YOU want to hear, in YOUR order, they way you like them to be done. THEN its the ultimate show and U2 are not sellouts!!

I agree that doing Vertigo twice is a bit odd. But at least they are being spontaneous and doing something different. Its funny that alot of the peole that are bitching about it on this thread have bitched about how predictable the setlists are and U2 are live. U2 fans are amazing sometimes, in both good and bad ways.

Blue Room said:
So I guess U2 needs to play the exact songs YOU want to hear, in YOUR order, they way you like them to be done. THEN its the ultimate show and U2 are not sellouts!!

Exactly!:wink:

I'd have to 'agree' with you there. U2 does spontenaeity in their setlists, not variation.

Vertigo 2x? Gag. I'm sure if '40' was played when you were there you would have loved it even more.

TheRat said:
U2 does spontenaeity in their setlists, not variation.

:scratch: Please elaborate here and show how it is in context with what is being said here, cant wait to see this response. :lol:

Did you mean to say there are spontaneous moments in the show but they show little variation in the setlist itself?

A nod to the past

Axver said:
I know I've already done it on another thread, but I'd like to express my disgust with the repetition of Vertigo here too. I honestly don't care how good the performance was, the fact remains that there's no excuse for repeating a song when you're a band of U2's calibre with their depth of material. They couldn't do I Will Follow instead?!

And 40's the natural closer. I'm surprised they didn't come back to play that.

As others are discussing other places, U2 used to play songs twice in their early shows. The 1981 Boston show included in "The Complete U2" box set (iTunes) has 11OCTT as its second song and in the encore. This year under Brooklyn Bridge they played Vertigo twice.

So even forgetting the fact that it's a fond nod to U2's history, if you had been in Key Arena and felt the energy when that place exploded, you'd understand why people were just standing outside the place after the show talking in disbelief about what an amazing end to the show it was.

I've seen them end with "40" and I think it's special to see that nod to their history too, but believe me, "Vertigo" was euphoria and a thrill.

Blue Room said:
:lol: Now this thread is funny. The setlist bitchers complain because U2's shows are predictable and have no spontaneity. So U2 shows some, and the setlist bitchers dont like the spontaneity displayed. :lol:

I agree that doing Vertigo twice is a bit odd. But at least they are being spontaneous and doing something different. Its funny that alot of the peole that are bitching about it on this thread have bitched about how predictable the setlists are and U2 are live. U2 fans are amazing sometimes, in both good and bad ways.

Exactly what I was thinking. Nothing but bitching and whining about the lack of changed-up moments in the set - then when they do, people cry foul and lose their shit.

I think that sometimes people in this forum forget that many, many people are going to these shows without ever having seen a message board, a setlist, anything. They're not following every single move the band makes while on tour, they're going in blind, they're not realizing that they didn't get '40,' they're just loving the show. That's how it used to be before the internet came along, and that's how it still is for many people.

frozenmuze04 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Nothing but bitching and whining about the lack of changed-up moments in the set - then when they do, people cry foul and lose their shit.

I think that sometimes people in this forum forget that many, many people are going to these shows without ever having seen a message board, a setlist, anything. They're not following every single move the band makes while on tour, they're going in blind, they're not realizing that they didn't get '40,' they're just loving the show. That's how it used to be before the internet came along, and that's how it still is for many people.

Christ, this board is nothing but whining little bitches. Excuse my language and colourful metaphores, but since this tour started I can't come on here without seeing a ton of posts about people bitching about U2 and their sets.

I went to San Jose 1. Not the best U2 show I've been to. I didnt get to hear Bad. I missed out on OOTS. I like the old intro version of Streets. But you know, I had a magical time nonetheless. It's freaking U2!! It's Bono singing Zoo Station and The Fly three feet in front of me! It's hearing a classic delicate song (Running To Stand Still) live for the first time in ages! I hear some of these songs, and suddenly I feel like I'm back in '81, '83, '87, ect...and I get a taste of what it must have been like to see U2 in those days as well as now.

Bottom line is...the whiners on this board lack two things. Imagination of the mind and a need for a stirring of the soul. U2 doesn't have many tours left in them, but I for one am not going to spend my last few times seeing them and do nothing but bitch about it. I feel sorry for those who do.

Axver said:
I know I've already done it on another thread, but I'd like to express my disgust with the repetition of Vertigo here too. I honestly don't care how good the performance was, the fact remains that there's no excuse for repeating a song when you're a band of U2's calibre with their depth of material. They couldn't do I Will Follow instead?!

And 40's the natural closer. I'm surprised they didn't come back to play that.

Axver, the crowd went ballistic for Vertigo the second time. It was the loudest and the most cheering I heard either night. It workt. It workt well.

:up: going out with a bang.

I don't like them playing 40 at the end, makes it seem like it's their last tour ever. I would prefer a current album song to finish - Yahweh.

Last edited:
Funny stuff!

Phoenix, I agree with you, and I also have to say that I enjoy people complaining about something they didn't experience and have no firsthand knowledge of. For my money there's only a few thousand people who know what it was like to hear "Vertigo" come to life the way it did at the end of Seattle II, and every one of those people were in Key Arena last night!

Here and on other boards, it's consistent-- everyone who was there was blown away by the second "Vertigo."

I wish I could put into words why it was so exciting to see Bono call an audible, to see the band change their instruments at the last second, to watch the lighting guys catch up with the right show on the ellipse, to see the crowd absolutely lose it in unison-- but then again, I don't have to, I was there, and trust me, it was brilliant.

All those complaining about the second Vertigo, please go read the the review thread.

Edit: Also, I had binoculars, so I went ahead and took a look at the setlist by Larry's drums (I was to the side of the stage). I couldn't make any specific songs out, but the last song on the setlist only had two letters, so they were definitely planning on closing with 40.

Last edited:
Man..all this complaining about a U2 show. Somebody call the Whaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance.

Ms. M said:
I was at last night's show - up in the rafters and I yes I was a bit disappointed that they didn't paly 40 (really looking forward to it). However I absolutely dug hearing Vertigo again (not one of my favs) but the energy it gives off is absolutely amazing. It had everyone on their feet going crazy, even up on the nosebleeds!

I was watching with the binoculars and watched Bono run to each of the guys and its was apparent he was about to switch gears and end on a powerful and high energy note! The second version kinda reminded me of the Temple Bar mix in places. It was, IMO, totally different and I think had tons more energy than the first time around.

The only thing that bothered me at the end was how long they waited before turning the house lights on. Not a nice tease.

I second your opinion on the "tease". The blue chandelier lights hanging above the stage stayed on for a good minute or two, leading me to think they were coming back on for another.

jimbohoward69 said:

I second your opinion on the "tease". The blue chandelier lights hanging above the stage stayed on for a good minute or two, leading me to think they were coming back on for another.

I wonder if had not been already been 10 minutes past 11:00 that they would have come back. I think there was a major discussion going on. At least that's what I like to think:wink:

For everyone who wasn't at last night's show and is complaining about Vertigo 2 -- don't knock until you try it! It was just bloody ass amazing and like I said its not one of my favourites but holy shit the shear power of it all just made last night's show even more unique and it was an amazing journey that +17,000 fans will remember for a lifetime. We were united!

jimbohoward69 said:

The reason they did that was to keep te crowd in. During that two minutes, they got into their SUV's and left out the back. Me and my friend Levi and my girlfriend, when the lights came back up, literally ran to the exit they use. And according to other fans who looked like they'd just met Jesus, they had already left the building.

When U2 first started many moons ago they would play a song like 11 O'clock Tick Tock twice. This of course was when they had less material.

Like going back to the Boy album, I think there is some symbolism for themselves by repeating what they did over 20 years ago.

However, I understand many being upset with so many other wonderful songs that could have closed the show.

I actually like them repeating Vertigo at the end, I think if they do that it's probably because they are, at that night, feeling like a new band at their beginning. That must be a great feeling if your band is 25 years old. It may be a bit boring for us who are not there and are just looking at the set list but I think it must very exciting for the crowd that the band is playing the same song again, they probably feel like if they are doing that than it's because the band felt something special that night. Plus the average fan doesn't know if U2 adds another song for the show that specific night but if they play a song that they already played before on the set than it's pretty obvious.

Even though I love 40 and I think that this version is really good and I really can't see it in any other place in the set list, I agree with U2girl. Them playing 40 at the end now feels like this is their last tour and it's a weird feeling.

Last edited:
Holy crap, serves me right for posting the set list as soon as I got home.

At least there are some voices of reason here! I sware to you that after seeing both shows, getting my "Bono moment" and Adam Moment(s) in GA on Sunday and breathlessly watching them leave to 40, I still found the ending last night to be fucking awesome. And I wasn't even a Vertigo fan until then.

I don't like to repeat myself from that other thread, but the second version was faster, harder, better, and every damn person was into it. The energy of the show at the end was different than any other U2 show I've been to.

To anyone who complains from afar, I will godamn guarantee you that if you were THERE in the building last night you wouldn't be so upset today.

If you had told me yesterday afternoon that they wouldn't end on 40, I'd be PISSED. But look at me today! I'm so damn elated that I can't even find a smilie to express it!!!!!!!!!

MrBrau1 said:

Read the rest of this thread before you bite someones head off. I'm not the only one guessing it was for a TV performance. Attack them as well. In fact, attack every post on this site that is based on speculation, that would be 90% of them.

I severely doubt it was a TV promo. Seems far more likely to be an imprompto Bono decision to mix it up for the last night at the second date at a city (not surprising for Bono - he does things like that sometimes).

Back
Top Bottom