RTS , it`s dropped????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Seems after the five NY shows that RTS really got the chop?
Offcourse MS is a good replacement but I keep on wondering why they couldn`t pull out RTS again for at least one NY show last week.

Thoughts on this Friends?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

my thought is that it sucks. I know this version wasn't as strong as ZOOTV or the JT tours, but it was still amazing.

I do love "Miss Sarajevo" and it's a beautiful song, but I go back to my theory,why not rotate?

5 nights at MSG, two nights RTSS, three nights Miss Sarajevo, or amybe one night throw us a curveball....

Yeah an easy way to throw a little variety in the show would be to sub it in for Miss Sarajevo every now and then, but it looks like it's gone for good :shrug:

It still amazes me which songs they think are the most expendable for new stuff:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Running to Stand Still
Electric Co
An Cat Dubh
Gloria

Most of these were the best parts of the show, yet they were the first to go when they did want to add variety. They make me :scratch: sometimes.

RademR said:
my thought is that it sucks. I know this version wasn't as strong as ZOOTV or the JT tours, but it was still amazing.

I strongly disagree here. I think the Vertigo versions are by far the most emotional ones of the song.
Have you heard the Paris and Amsterdam versions? With the Amazing Grace ending?
One of the most beautiful and haunting pieces of music I have EVER heard.

RTSS was very , very cool in Amsterdam.
I was at that show and the whole crowd got shivers during Amazing Grace.

Cheers ,

Mauwe

at least we still have elevation, guys! highlight of the tour, rock on with "hole diggin in a mole, lifting up my soul no going down yeah!!! woooooo!"

man that song ROCKS

as for rts, that song is a drag and the lyrics make everyone in the crowd go WTF?! we need direct lines from bono that speak right to our hearts, like stuck in a moment and walk on! like a bird in a cage who only fies for FREEEEDOM!!!!

you go, bird!!!! FLY FOR FREEDOM!!!!!!!

:happy:

I suspect that Bono is, in part, singing Miss Sarajevo for his father, due to the opera part. For that reason, he doesn't want to drop it, and I guess they can't think of where else they want to play RTSS in the set ...

I was glad to see RTSS get the axe. I remember being in Denver and the crowd seemed to treat it like sort of a 3 Doors Down military anthem type of thing. I just don't see RTSS that way - its a real strong anti-war message IMO.

To me Miss Sarajevo is a much more poignant song.

matt_tx00 said:
I was glad to see RTSS get the axe. I remember being in Denver and the crowd seemed to treat it like sort of a 3 Doors Down military anthem type of thing. I just don't see RTSS that way - its a real strong anti-war message IMO.

It's funny but I never interpreted the song as being anything to do with war - it is supposed to be about the plight of a heroin addict in Dublin - Bono has actually said this in interviews years ago, and the lyrics reference the Ballymun Towers in Northside Dublin, the seven towers, a notorious heroin blackspot in the 1980's. That's why I always found Bono's linking of the song in the US dates of the current tour to apparent support for the US military quite strange and bizarre.

But I understand what you are saying.

djerdap said:

I strongly disagree here. I think the Vertigo versions are by far the most emotional ones of the song.
Have you heard the Paris and Amsterdam versions? With the Amazing Grace ending?
One of the most beautiful and haunting pieces of music I have EVER heard.

wow, its not like I'm bringing down the song, my post was a case to play it more often.

ya, there were some great performances of it, its one of my favorite u2 songs ever.

but listen to the dublin new years eve bootleg, with Bono's voice back then it doesn't get better.

I'd take the ZOOTV running into Streets version anyday over the Vertigo tour version.

Not saying I hate the Vertigo one, its amazing. but if i had to pick....

I love RTSS. But I don't particularly mind it skipping Leg 3. I heard it enough on Leg 1, and on previous tours. Its such a good song that I'm sure it'll be back again in a few years on the next tour.

That was the one song I was hoping for on Elevation tour, and I was sure we're getting an acoustic version this time.
Maybe another tour.

I never can tell - do Adam and Larry play on this version or is it just Bono and Edge on piano?

I like the Bonorotti moments on Miss Sarajevo, otherwise I hope we haven't heard the last of Running... on this tour.

financeguy said:
it is supposed to be about the plight of a heroin addict in Dublin - Bono has actually said this in interviews years ago, and the lyrics reference the Ballymun Towers in Northside Dublin, the seven towers, a notorious heroin blackspot in the 1980's. That's why I always found Bono's linking of the song in the US dates of the current tour to apparent support for the US military quite strange and bizarre.

But I understand what you are saying.

Bono tends to 'play' with his own lyrics and can opt to change them to suit the current political climate.

The song was originally wrote about the plight of heroin addiction, but Bono can amend the song's coda to suit relevant global issues.

But...I WANT MY RTSS BACK!!!

Best version has to be ZOO TV only because of Edge's eerie haunting guitar addition to this masterpiece. :drool:

actually, the best part of the zootv version are the hallelu7ah's, and the amazing synth in the background. beautiful to say the least...when it fades into streets, that's art. delicious, like a...steamed clam!

They don't play RTSS anymore cause Bono has to play guitar, also the fly seems to have dissapered as well. Pretty soon he'll stop playing on One :mad:

PLAY MORE GUITAR BONO DAMMIT!!! :rant:

Zoomerang96 said:
actually, the best part of the zootv version are the hallelu7ah's, and the amazing synth in the background. beautiful to say the least...when it fades into streets, that's art. delicious, like a...steamed clam!

I agree with everything you say except the steamed clam bit.

Edge's guitar, hallelujahs, synths, segue into Streets, helicopters, voice-overs, the smoke rising as Bono plays the harmonica....

Nobody can argue that the ZOO TV version is THE best.

Zoomerang96 said:
at least we still have elevation, guys! highlight of the tour, rock on with "hole diggin in a mole, lifting up my soul no going down yeah!!! woooooo!"

man that song ROCKS

as for rts, that song is a drag and the lyrics make everyone in the crowd go WTF?! we need direct lines from bono that speak right to our hearts, like stuck in a moment and walk on! like a bird in a cage who only fies for FREEEEDOM!!!!

you go, bird!!!! FLY FOR FREEDOM!!!!!!!

:happy:

Was this meant to be sarcastic??? :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom