Quotes Needed: U2’s Must Play List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Hey guys!

Currently, I am working on an article for the site called "U2’s Must Play List." The article will discuss songs U2 fans "expect" to hear when they go to a U2 show, and the songs that define the U2 live "experience."

Would love to get your opinions and quotes on this one. Please remember to give permission to be quoted.

Thanks - you're the best!!!
C :)

U2's Must play list includes Acrobat, Exit, The Fly, and Discoteche because these are the songs that would take the concert to an unbeLIEvable new level.

Feel free to quote me.

The realy important for me are 'Until The End Of The World' and 'Bullet The Blue Sky'

I don't know why, I just can't imagine a show without them...
---
I would also realy like to see the return of 'Please' (full band, like on PopMart)... I like 'Gone' and 'Discotheque', but I think 'Please' should represent 'Pop' on this tour (and it works great on stadiums).
---
...and finaly a few songs that I would like to see live, but the ones that (IMO) will never be back are: HMTMKMKM, Exit, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Love Is Blindness (Edge's solo:drool: )

You may quote me.

U2 must play Bullet, New Year's Day, 40, Kite, Please and Gone.

Don't quote me.

No just kidding, quote me if you feel like it.
Anyway - Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Beautiful Day, Pride, Where The Streets Have No Name, One, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, All I Want Is You... and from the new one: Vertigo, City Of Blinding Lights, Crumbs From Your Table.

Those are essential. Alter the show any way you feel like it, as long as they play those songs.

streets, beautiful day, bad, sometimes you can't make it on your own

Feel free to quote me.

I feel U2 should bring back Mofo. This to me is U2's mother of all rock tunes. And with rock n roll one of the main themes of the Vertigo tour, what better way to bring the house down everynight during the encore than to play Mofo. Other songs that have a need to be played this tour:

The Unforgettable Fire
Exit
Electric Co.
Twilight
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Rejoice
Gloria
Ultra Violet
Please (full band)
Last Night on Earth
Dirty Day

the most wanted is their best ever, but never ever played before.
its their majestic monster song A C R O B A T :dancing:
bring it on after fourteen years of desperate waiting !!!

It would be really great if they start with 'Love and Peace' Imagine a stadium getting crazy after hearing Bono sing 'LAY DOWN !!!!' From the new album 'SYCMIOYO', 'Vertigo', 'Miracle Drug', 'OOTS' will be great live!

There is only ONE song they just HAVE to play: 'Where the streets have no name'. The evening will be incompete if they don't play this song. It's such a strong song when played live. It's U2 in full glory. I can't describe what I feel when they play this live. Tears in my eyes of pure joy! The song becomes three times stronger compared with the album version.
I don't care about the rest anymore, haha.

I really like it when they play some tunes from POP. I think it's really underrated. 'Gone' and 'Staring at the sun' are really great tunes. Also 'Wake up dead man' is great and it would be awesome if they play 'Please'.

Otehr songs I would like to hear: 'I will follow', 'Out of control', 'New Year's Day', 'Stay', of course 'Bullet...' and 'Beautiful Day', 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' and of course 'Until the end of the world'

I say skip classics as 'WOWY', 'One', 'Mysterious ways', 'Pride' 'Desire'. That leaves room open for more rare and new songs, like '11 O 'Clock tick tock', 'October', 'Acrobat', ' City of Blinding lights'.

The problem is they come with a great album every time. And most songs scream to be played live...There are too many songs for one show of 20-23. It would be great if they change playlists every night..

And wouldn't it be great if they end with ''40'?

Grtz, Pascal (of course you may quote me)

please sign the Acrobat on U2 Vertigo Tour petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/qv3d4382/petition.html

We, big U2 fans, are a big fan of the song Acrobat, it's probably one of our favorite U2-songs ever and we are very disappointed it's never played live during a concert. This petition is to make clear we want ACROBAT on the VERTIGO tour that's starting at the end of March! It's such a great song with great lyrics, sign this petition if you want to hear ACROBAT on the U2 - VERTIGO 2005 tour.

http://www.petitiononline.com/qv3d4382/petition.html

I'm hoping they put a bunch of songs on the set that they have seldom or never played on tour. My first U2 concert was back in 1982 in New Orleans on the Riverboat President the next, Thanksgiving night 1987 in Baton Rouge, LA and I've been to every tour since. What I'm trying to say is I'm sick of hearing some of the songs live, I want to hear Stranger in a Strage Land,, Electric Co., Day w/out Me, Tomorrow, Is That All, With A Shout,, Indian Summer Sky, Unforgettable Fire (haven't heard since 87 tour), Dirty Day and Lemon.

So there Bono, pick 3 or 4 cuts from above for each gig. If you do come to New Orleans on the 2nd us leg, play all of them because I'll be there.

No slight to any other songs, I've just heard them live enough, time for some new ones.

One song you are never to leave off a set list.............Bad.

Last edited:
Feel free to quote me...FOR SCIENCE!

There's absolutely only one song I expect U2 to play every night, and that will always be "Where The Streets Have No Name".

That may be because I respect U2's obligation to certain tracks due to their massive following and large setlist, but it's mainly because I'll just get dissapointed that they didn't play The Mission Impossible theme.

Feel free to quote me:

I feel the absolute essentials are half a dozen tracks off HTDAAB as well as the staples WOWY, WTSHNN and One. I know that not everyone will be going to multiple shows but if I was to pass one message onto the band it would be please don't neglect some of the less well known stuff, keep if fresh and do the stuff you enjoy rather than just what you feel will please the hacks. I went to the Top Of The Pops performance in London and I was absolutely over the moon when they played 'She's A Mystery' (one of my fav live music moments of all time, as it was one of the last tracks I expected to be played.) It was the same at London in 2001 when they played 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

Sure I'm going to enjoy everything they play however I would regard a couple of relatively random tracks every night such as Exit, Acrobat or The Eletric Co as more must play than anything else. I hope I haven't come across as a whinge it's just a suggestion to move already awesome into overload.

UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD! If that´s not on the setlist I´m gonna cry. I mean the GUITAR in it! omg it´s such an amazing song! :) :) and please do quote :D I´d also like Elevation, it´s a great song to jump to

Sure, quote me if you wish.

A staple is MLK, it's short, to the point and can be played anywhere.

Jumping out of realism for a second, if Bono can sing Like A Song every night, I would have a heart attack. Now, back into realism...

"40" will be played in places, although not everywhere..

my opinion is that u2 shouldnt have any songs that they must play. that's been there problem all along.

mix it up. if they have so many great songs as their fans claim, then they could have 20 different setlists.

u2 has to play Gone cause it is my favorite u2 song and i will be seeing them for the first time in september and it would make my year. :D

stay and all i want is you would also be fantabulous!!!

The songs that I feel will define my GA experiance of the opening night of the third Leg in Toronto are:

The Fly- Simply put, IMHO, the greatest song ever. Not just by U2, by anyone.

Vertigo- I still remember hearing it for the first time and the hair on the back of my neck standing up. It was so powerful that first time, and has stayed this strong to me.

Finally Discotheque, this is the first U2 song i ever really go into. I remember seeing the video on muchmusic and being blown away by it. Its got a great guitar, great beat and great lyrics.

A fourth that would be nice is MOFO, a great all round rock tune.

If all these songs are played in the setlist for Toronto it will be the concert of my lifetime.

Quote Away.

For this being my first show I would like to hear ; "Where The Streets Have No Name", "A Sort Of Homecoming" , "Drowning Man" , "New Years Day" , "Beautiful Day" , and "Twlight".

There are many more I would like to hear but the list would be too long , so I figured I'd post my favs.

I doubt They'll play "Drowning Man" ... I don't even think they have ever played it Live. But I think "A Sort Of Homecoming" and "WTSHNN" would be my number one songs I would want to
hear.

... Feel Free to Quote Me.:wink:

Last edited:
Some songs that I would love to hear September 23 in Minneapolis are (of course along with all the usual oldies):

Zoo Station
Tryn to throw you arms around the world (like that will ever happen)
Dirty Day
Stay
Lemon
Bad
Running to stand still
Never got to see Elevation live in person so:
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Off the new one:
Vertigo
City of blinding lights
Love and Peace