Question about "Streets" for those at recent shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
I know that people at the first couple shows had reported that the Pride/Streets combo was "awkward." I was wondering if U2 just hadn't nailed it until recently. Is Pride into Streets amazing? Is it still awkward? I have a hard time believing that if the band doesn't like the combo, they would stick with it.

Well, IMO anything into Streets is pretty incredible-so while it is not my favorite transition, it isn't exactly awkward--I'd rate it about a 6.5--The problem with the transition is it is more of a crowd based transition rather than a seamless musical transition as in the past--I do love the AIWIY/Streets much much better. We also heard about a WOWY/Streets transition that was supposed to happen--I guess time will tell.

It is really too early to tell-I just compare my impressions of Elevation 1st leg, and 3rd leg, and the 3rd leg was sooooooooooooo much better--a U2 show is theater, and with each performance they will make new discoveries with the material.

I will have to say that the Pride-Streets combo worked tonight, but not quite as well as previous tours' segues. I also missed not having the lights blast on before the first verse - I think it really helps the feeling of release that song brings.

I can't believe there STILL not blasting the lights at the intro!?!?

This has to be the most illogical design change ever!!

Of course U2 have the right to change how they perform and convey feelings of their songs...

but the choice of losing that blast of lights during the intro to "Streets" seems really unusual! :eyebrow:

or the red. ive seen pictures of a red atmosphere created from lights and fog; that would be perfect for streets, but i dont think they've done the red background, have they?

I think the Pride Streets combo works on this tour. It is somewhat of a more awkward transition than the best transition which was RTSST/WTSHHN on the Zoo TV Tour. I do miss the red screens and the lights which have accompanied Streets on every previous tour but I think what they have done this time around works as well. This time there is the tie in with MLK and Nelson Mandela. This is why the Pride/Streets set works in the Vertigo Tour. I think at one point Bono said streets was about his trip to Africa back in the mid-80s as well as being about Northern Ireland. They always come up with a different theme for the transition into Streets on every tour. With all of Bono's work on debt relief and AIDS it is only fitting he use this somehow in the show. The Everyone theme ties in here.

"Everyone is equal under the eyes of God" Bono says during the intro to Streets.

After reading about the first shows in San Diego, I didn't think I would like it. I was hoping to see Streets the old-school way, with the red and the bright lights at the beginning. But after seeing three shows, this new intro is growing on my. Plus, you just can't mess up Streets really. It's such an amazing song and the intro gets everyone pumped up no matter how its done. I'm digging Bono's little African shout outs too. :)

I liked the SJ performance, and the Pride - Streets segue 'worked' but I prefer the Elevation seque of Bad - 40 - Streets. I prefer the Elevation performance of WTSHNN because I could completely get lost in the moment and the feeling. The presence of the African flags in this tour took me out of it because I felt like the message was being put at me at the wrong time. Nothing wrong with wanting to get rid of poverty, but the song has a different, personal meaning to me not connected to Africa. I could simply 'let go' during the Elevation performance. I never got completely off the ground at the SJ2 show.

-Miggy D

Back
Top Bottom