Projected setlist for the next tour...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
01. NEW SONG
02. I Will Follow / Out Of Control
03. Vertigo
04. Elevation
05. OLDER SONG
06. OLDER SONG
07. Beautiful Day
08. NEW SONG
09. NEW SONG
10. City Of Blinding Lights
11. NEW SONG
12. NEW SONG
13. Love And Peace Or Else
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. NEW SONG
17. Where The Streets Have No Name
18. One

19. All Because Of You
20. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
21. With Or Without You

22. NEW SONG
23. Original Of The Species
24. Yahweh
25. NEW SONG (closer)

We can count on POP material being performed this time around, but the political trio of LAPOE, SBS, BTBS will stay. This time around, Pride won't segue into Streets. There will be a newer song to segue into streets. The BOY material will be retired other than IWF / OOT. Pride will segue into another song, and ABOY will open an encore.

theu2fly said:
We can count on POP material being performed this time around, but the political trio of LAPOE, SBS, BTBS will stay. This time around, Pride won't segue into Streets. There will be a newer song to segue into streets. The BOY material will be retired other than IWF / OOT. Pride will segue into another song, and ABOY will open an encore.

1. Why can we count on Pop material being performed, again? Plenty of stuff has gone under after the tour for that album and just never come back out (the better R&H tracks, side two of Joshua Tree, etc.), there's no real reason to think that the Pop material will be any different, apart from the slim chance that Mofo will turn up, as it's been rehearsed.

2. I don't think, post Lovetown, that U2 has ever maintained a song sequence after the tour in which it was first used. Besides, BTBS is a song they seem to reinvent each tour, so maybe the new version won't fit next to Sunday Bloody Sunday. Or maybe none of those songs will be played...who knows. I'd say none of those three are definite picks for the next tour.

3. Of course Pride won't segue into Streets, they've only once reused a Streets segue.

4. Yeah, you're probably right, as much as I'd like to see Electric Co. become a staple longterm.

5. They haven't liked ABOY enough to play it every night on the Vertigo tour, I don't see why it would then become a regular in the next tour setlist. Songs being revived after being dropped have been exactly two (Wild Horses and In a Little While), and neither were exactly regulars in the Vertigo set.

theu2fly said:
01. NEW SONG
02. I Will Follow / Out Of Control
03. Vertigo
04. Elevation
05. OLDER SONG
06. OLDER SONG
07. Beautiful Day
08. NEW SONG
09. NEW SONG
10. City Of Blinding Lights
11. NEW SONG
12. NEW SONG
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. NEW SONG
17. Where The Streets Have No Name
18. One

19. All Because Of You
20. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
21. With Or Without You

22. NEW SONG
23. Original Of The Species
24. Yahweh
25. NEW SONG (closer)

this set looks way too much like the vertigo tour. I doubt that for the next tour the songs will be in the same running order

Re: Re: Projected setlist for the next tour...

xaviMF22 said:

this set looks way too much like the vertigo tour. I doubt that for the next tour the songs will be in the same running order

I think either One will follow Streets, or Pride will close the main set. Or even Vertigo could... we'll have to see.

I think COBL may open an Encore, or take the place of Streets in the main set, and Streets may be the 2nd to last song to be performed before the closer.

01. NEW SONG
02. NEW SONG
03. I WILL FOLLOW
04. VERTIGO
05. ELEVATION
06. OLDER SONG
07. OLDER SONG
08. BEAUTIFUL DAY
09. OLDER SONG
10. NEW SONG
11. NEW SONG
12. OLDER SONGER
13. NEW SONG
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. NEW SONG
16. Where The Streets Have No Name
17. All Because Of You

18. OLDER SONG
19. NEW SONG
20. With Or Without You

21. YAHWEH
22. ONE
23. NEW SONG (closer)

01 NEW SONG
02 NEW SONG
03 Even Better Than The Real Thing
04 Beautiful Day
05 Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
06 NEW SONG
07 Love and Peace or Else
08 God part II
09 Sunday Bloody Sunday
10 NEW SONG
11 Mysterious Ways
12 Mofo
13 I Will Follow
14 Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
15 All I Want is You
16 Bad
17 City of Blinding Lights
18 Where The Streets Have No Name

19 Vertigo
20 NEW SONG
21 Electrical Storm
22 One

22 NEW SONG
23 With or Without You
24 NEW SONG

Then the boys weren't fans of themselves either, what with no POP material. And with only 1 song from October, R&H & Zooropa...

thelaj said:
Then the boys weren't fans of themselves either, what with no POP material. And with only 1 song from October, R&H & Zooropa...

I was making a joke referring to the thread in EYKIW

The band can play w/e they want, I'll pay to listen to it.

They played Angel of Harlem, Desire, and All I Want is You at different points in the tour.

and does The Wanderer count as being played?

theu2fly said:

14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Bullet The Blue Sky

You have got to be kidding me. There's no way they would put these three together in the same show after this tour. Much less consecutively.

Yeah that setlist looks way too much like the setlist from Vertigo. It'll be way different than that.

Last edited:
I would say that from HTDAAB , songs that will remain are Original , Vertigo , City , Love and Peace , Sometimes and All Because of you as well.

01. NEW SONG
02. NEW SONG
03. CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
04. BEAUTIFUL DAY
05. I WILL FOLLOW
06. ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES
07. NEW SONG
08. NEW SONG
09. NEW SONG
10. LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE
11. SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
12. PLEASE
13. WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
14. ELEVATION

15. VERTIGO
16. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
17. PRIDE (IN THE NAME OF LOVE)
18. ONE
19. YAHWEH

20. WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
21. NEW SONG
22. THE FIRST TIME
23. NEW SONG

They need to bust out some Unforgettable Fire stuff they haven't played in awhile:

The Unforgettable Fire
Wire
Indian Summer Sky
A Sort Of Homecoming

1 New song
2 New song
3 New song
4 Love And Peace
5 Blinding lights
6 End Of The World
7 Walk On
8 Please
9 Streets
10 New Song
11 New Song
12 One
13 With or without you (rearranged)
14 Stay
15 Discotheque
16 The Fly
17 Zoo Station
18 Mofo
19 Vertigo
20 Miracle Drug
21 Sometimes
22 New Song
23 New Song
24 October
25 All I Want Is you

1. New Song
2. New Song
3. I Will Follow/Gloria
4. Vertigo
5. Mysterious Ways/Real Thing
6. One
7. So Cruel/Staring at the Sun/Wild Horses - Acoustic (Bono solo)
8. City of Blinding Lights
9. I Will Follow/Out of Control/11:00 Tick Tock
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. New Song
12. New Song - Acoustic (B-Stage)
13. In a Little While/Stay/Kite - Acoustic (B-Stage)
14. Beautiful Day (extended keyboard intro as the band returns to the main stage)
15. Until the End of the World
16. New Year's Day
17. Bad

18. Streets
19. I Still Haven't Found.
20. With or Without You

21. If You Wear That Velvet Dress/Love Is Blindness
22. New Song
23. All I Want Is You

Decided to give Pride and Bullet a rest for some other songs. And why does Streets have to segue with another song? After the band messing with the live aspect of it lots on this last tour, I would like to see it return to its former JT/Lovetown glory - Red backdrop, flashing lights and the intro as part of a JT encore. Yeh Yeh!

I reckon this setlist a pretty good balance and a nice flow...personally!
:wink:

Last edited:
I like the concept of a JT encore, it seems like a good follow-up to the Zoo TV encores we have going on now Personally, I think that Atomic Bomb will suffer a similar fate to Can't Leave Behind: 2, maybe three songs will survive into future tours, and the others will fade away. My guesses are Vertigo, CoBL, and OotS or Sometimes.

These sets are always really fun to come back and see at two points:

1. When a new album comes out, to see whether the new songs really do fit where people wrote 'new song'.
2. When the tour starts, to see just how wrong we are!

But here's one for fun, seeking to represent every album, with a few rarities for the fanatics and hits for the casuals.

1. New song with good intro
2. New song, high energy
3. Beautiful Day
4. Twilight / A Day Without Me
5. Wire / The Unforgettable Fire
6. New political song
7. New Year's Day
8. Original Of The Species / Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
9. New ballad
10. New ballad
11. Bad / Where The Streets Have No Name / Please
12. Hawkmoon 269
13. Desire / When Love Comes To Town
14. Even Better Than The Real Thing / Mysterious Ways
15. Dirty Day
16. New rocker
17. Vertigo

18. Until The End Of The World / The Fly
19. Last Night On Earth
20. New rocker

21. New uptempo spiritual song
22. Gloria / Rejoice / Fire
23. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exit
24. All I Want Is You / Gone

Last edited:
Ax, you left out City Of Blinding Lights... arguably the exciting song of this tour...

theu2fly said:
Ax, you left out City Of Blinding Lights... arguably the exciting song of this tour...

You think I didn't realise? :wink:

The three HTDAAB songs I included in that set are actually three I'd be happy if U2 never played live again, but I just couldn't fit COBL into that set (maybe in Bad or Hawkmoon's spot?), and I'm kind of doubtful that it will appear on the next tour. Vertigo's a given, considering how big a hit it is, and I simply think the band - or at least Bono - are more attached to SYCMIOYO and OOTS. That said, pre-Vertigo, I thought Kite was a certainty and it hasn't shown up.

Here's one with COBL ...

1. New song, high energy
2. Vertigo
3. New rocker
4. Twilight / The Electric Co.
5. 11 O'clock Tick Tock / Gloria
6. Beautiful Day
7. New ballad
8. A Sort Of Homecoming / The Unforgettable Fire
9. City Of Blinding Lights
10. New ballad
11. Stuck In A Moment / Original Of The Species
12. October / Tomorrow
13. New Year's Day
14. New political song
15. God Part II / Exit
16. In God's Country / One Tree Hill
17. Pride / Walk On

18. New song with good intro
19. Do You Feel Loved / Discotheque
20. Even Better Than The Real Thing / Mysterious Ways / The Fly

21. Where The Streets Have No Name
22. Angel Of Harlem
23. Stay / Ultra Violet
24. With Or Without You / Love Is Blindness

Of the current crop of new songs only Vertigo and maybe COBL seem destined for future play. Yahweh and Sometimes might be played occasionally accoustic. OOTS they never really got that one working right without that 5th guy playing the piano so that is also out. LAPOE is so going into the dustbin, as is ABOY. Miracle Drug of course has already been chugged in there.

In the end, by the very nature of their supergroup status, any U2 show has to be a greatest hits setlist to appease the majority of their audience. The greatest hits will fire up the crowd, the obscure stuff will just send them fetching for beer.

Still, I hope they will not nuke this subforum like they did with the Elevation tour subforum (lost me a lot of postcounts back then) to keep threads like this alive. Just so we can have a good laugh during the next tour on how wrong we were. Or prove which of us were the better setlist psychics.

For those predicting a lot of HTDAAB, how much ATYCLB stuff have they been playing? Really, only 2 have been regular, Beautiful Day and Elevation. So, I'd say at the absolute most 4 is possible from HTDAAB. Vertigo is a lock, and I'd say COBL is as well. 3 songs seems most likely so, it's a toss up between Sometimes and OOTS. I'd say they go with Sometimes just because they never seem to get OOTS right (best with the electric guitar and piano together).

phillyfan26 said:
For those predicting a lot of HTDAAB, how much ATYCLB stuff have they been playing? Really, only 2 have been regular, Beautiful Day and Elevation. So, I'd say at the absolute most 4 is possible from HTDAAB.

Yeah, good point. Though it seems Stuck In A Moment was becoming a bit of a regular; I wonder if that was just because it was around the anniversary of Hutchence's death and U2 visiting Australia, though.

Vertigo is a lock, and I'd say COBL is as well. 3 songs seems most likely so, it's a toss up between Sometimes and OOTS. I'd say they go with Sometimes just because they never seem to get OOTS right (best with the electric guitar and piano together).

I'm not sure why some people are so certain about COBL. It can fit nicely into various parts of the set, but I just don't really see it being retained. A lot of people thought Kite was a sure thing and it hasn't materialised, so I wonder if COBL will head down that route.

And regarding OOTS, I wonder if the time between tours will give them time to re-invent it and create a version they can comfortably play live. I really don't see what's so hard about it.

I think we'll probably see 2-3 HTDAAB songs regularly and maybe a couple more now and then. If you look at past patterns, that's pretty much how it's been. ZooTV had Desire, AOH, WLCTT, and sometimes a stripped down AIWIY (otherwise, a snippet). Popmart had no Zooropa songs and four from Achtung. Elevation started out with Gone and the Discotheque/SATS segue (both of them vanishing after the second leg), then SATS was also done by itself and WUDM appeared at some shows. We know how Vertigo went, and U2's catalogue isn't exactly getting smaller. So I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing an especially large number of HTDAAB songs next tour.

PhoenixGNX said:
Some of you can dream all you want, but 'One' will be in every setlist until the band calls it quits.

People say that about Streets too, yet it has missed shows (none since November 1989) and the band reportedly were going to cut it this tour.

So if Streets isn't safe, I don't see why One is. Frankly, it needs to go because it's getting tired.

I don't think any of the classics need to go at all, just rotate with other songs.

That way you get your share of new material, classics, and constantly shifted songs.

Axver said:
I'm not sure why some people are so certain about COBL. It can fit nicely into various parts of the set, but I just don't really see it being retained. A lot of people thought Kite was a sure thing and it hasn't materialised, so I wonder if COBL will head down that route.

They've really publicized it, it's gotten great reviews, the official song of the World Cup, I can't see them letting it go that easily. Kite wasn't even a single, and it wasn't used like COBL has been.

And regarding OOTS, I wonder if the time between tours will give them time to re-invent it and create a version they can comfortably play live. I really don't see what's so hard about it.

I hope they try a new OOTS. Bono on piano with Edge on guitar sounds good to me. He can put a big telemprompter on the piano right in front of him if he needs to. Just put Edge on guitar!

Back
Top Bottom