"Pride" could become their most played song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
· I Will Follow (663 times played)
· Pride (In The Name Of Love) (612 times played)

Considering that "Pride" was played at both nights on the current tour and in the rehearsal, while "I Will Follow" wasn't, I think this tour could make "Pride" the band's most played track........which is kind of a shame considering it isn't one of their best live numbers.

· I Will Follow (663 times played)
· Pride (In The Name Of Love) (612 times played)
· New Year's Day (588 times played)
· Where The Streets Have No Name (516 times played)
· Bullet The Blue Sky (515 times played)
· Sunday Bloody Sunday (497 times played)
· With Or Without You (476 times played)
· Bad (440 times played)
· I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (390 times played)
· One (379 times played)

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/most-played-songs.html

Yeah, I think that would be quite a shame, honestly, though I really did enjoy the bootleg of the performance at the opening night of the tour, and I'm nearly up to it on the second night, so hopefully it's still as good.

I'm expecting the lads to bust out I Will Follow soon, though. After all, look at how they played it a few times on TV shows last year.

thanks for the stat! they'll be 'competing' on the vertigo tour for first place.

VERTIGO TOUR 2005-2006

i will follow

vs.

pride

anyone want to start the over/under? :wink:

While Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me was the song that got me interested in U2, Pride is the song that got me hooked. (Along with its counterpart, New Year's Day, on the best of 80-90.)

the tourist said:
While Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me was the song that got me interested in U2, Pride is the song that got me hooked. (Along with its counterpart, New Year's Day, on the best of 80-90.)

Actually, I can tell a similar story - the Best Of 1980-1990 was my first ever CD and Pride and Bad were my two favourite tracks.

It seems, however, that Pride just hasn't worked as well live. I am enjoying the Vertigo incarnation, though.

Axver said:

Actually, I can tell a similar story - the Best Of 1980-1990 was my first ever CD and Pride and Bad were my two favourite tracks.

It seems, however, that Pride just hasn't worked as well live. I am enjoying the Vertigo incarnation, though.

I just heard Pride from 3/28 and must say I'm pleasantly surprised as I'd always thought they lost some of the rock of the studio in the transition to live. But it's better than I remember it being for sure live!

the tourist said:

I just heard Pride from 3/28 and must say I'm pleasantly surprised as I'd always thought they lost some of the rock of the studio in the transition to live. But it's better than I remember it being for sure live!

There are some performances from the eighties that I think were sensational and better than the studio (31 August 1984 and 8 March 1987, I believe are the two) and I also think the Point Depot Dublin Prides were really good, if not necessarily better than the studio. But tours like Popmart - well, Pride was just a plain disaster then. This tour, I feel Edge's guitar is, for lack of a better word, ringing, and although Bono can't sing the chorus like on the album, he's doing really well vocally on the song.

I now don't object to its inclusion, though I feel its setlist position could be better.

I know exactly why I didn't like Pride live on ZooTV and Popmart and Elevation.... But it's just technical guitar stuff. If you know much, it's because he had the pickup selecter to the wrong pickup and therefore the guitar was less trebly and less cutting. That and there weren't the muted 16th notes!

the tourist said:
I know exactly why I didn't like Pride live on ZooTV and Popmart and Elevation.... But it's just technical guitar stuff. If you know much, it's because he had the pickup selecter to the wrong pickup and therefore the guitar was less trebly and less cutting. That and there weren't the muted 16th notes!

While I can play guitar, I've no idea about the technical stuff, though I'd like to know why I don't like it, heh. It just sounds 'off' to me. Not 'ringy' enough like in the studio, and he does that bloody annoying 'scratching' at the start rather than opening with clear ringing notes.

That is probably the worst description ever.

I think I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.... But yeah, the guitar is too bassy and lifeless during those tours. To me, at least.

Heh, probably your description is what I'm thinking of, I just don't realise it. Yay technically clueless me!

the tourist said:
Either way, Pride sounded wonderful on the 28th!

That it did! Once I heard it, I was actually glad they played it. I do wish they could do something about the chorus though, as Bono simply can't sing it. Maybe Edge could it take it?

Yeah, it was pretty good on the opening night, lackluster on the second night (although I think the second night sounded sharper)..........it's actually one of my favorite U2 songs, but it's just a hard one to nail in the live setting.....

BigMacPhisto said:
(edit) think this tour could make "Pride" the band's most played track........which is kind of a shame considering it isn't one of their best live numbers.
This had me doing a huge double-take.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Pride skipping a tour or two. But saying Pride isn't one of their best live songs... well, let's just say there's a reason they've played it so much.

Especially check out every version on the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree tours, where it really made its name. HUGE live song. HUGE crowd interaction. BIG performances from all the band members.

I think it's lost some juice since then, but it's still a big "come to church" moment, especially when the crowd's into it. I was not a fan of the early-in-the-set, muted-ending on PopMart, but there have been Zoo TV and Elevation performances of it as good as anything from back in the day.

I think the band would definitely include Pride as one of their top 5 live songs.

Pride will be played heavily this month, as this is the month Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated.

no surprise considering Pride was played at every U2 concert I attended until last tour. Even the Conspiracy of Hope show.

Back
Top Bottom