Phoenix 4-15-05 Setlist And Comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
riteshbhatt1 said:
How sad is that? Amazing performance but a lousy Phoenix audience. Way too many casual, "I'm too cool in my Gap clothes" type people last night. Anyone else have that experience? I was in section 226.

Well I was on the floor and everyone around me including the reserved seats, lower and behind the stage, were rocking. Glendale arena is pretty large, so I suppose sitting up in the rafters makes it quite distant, but I hear ya about Elevation. I sat up in the rafters too at AWA and the entire place were on their feet all through the show. Different crowd this time.

riteshbhatt1 said:
I went to Elevation here in Phoenix on the 1st leg of the tour, crowd was great & I sat in the upper level.

4 years later. I don't know what kind of fans were at the Phoenix U2 show on Friday, but they were pathetic in the upper levels! Only 2 or 3 people in my section stood when the band began playing COBL!!!! I sat back down so I wouldn't obstruct anyone's view. Even after Elevation, people were sitting down in my section & in a few of the other sections as I looked around puzzled. It was truly sad. I've never been to concert in which the crowd sat when the main band took the stage.

Unless the song was a mega-hit, they were sitting!

I don't think most of the people even knew what Gloria was! I decided to stand after the 4th song & didn't sit back down. A girl behind me said she couldn't see, but I really didn't care. By the end of the show before the encore, most of the people finally stood up, but that's only because they played 4 HITS in a row.

How sad is that? Amazing performance but a lousy Phoenix audience. Way too many casual, "I'm too cool in my Gap clothes" type people last night. Anyone else have that experience? I was in section 226.

Bono only sang the 1st verse acapella of IGC.
Oh, as soon as Larry stopped drumming at the end of 40, people went to exits instead of singing at least where I was!

It was that way thursday and Friday. I think that the only song where everyone stood up was streets. In my section I had people complaining that they weren't playing anything that they knew. I do however find it sad that people were sitting down and not having a good time esspecially when tickets were so hard to get. My opinion, if you don' think you are going to have a good time give your tickets to someone else who will.

I was in the corporate suite Friday night and everybody was into it - even the people who sat through most of the show. A guy I have known for nearly 20 years was there with his teenage daughter. He sat almost the entire show. At the end, he came up to me said basically "wow, it doesnt get any better than that". Some people are just more reserved than others. That's it for now - I have to go resume my normal life after a two day U2 binge.

That's cool. Although I remember in Elevation during the 1st leg, the crowd was very much into it, even the new songs. I also remember feeling the cement under my feet "vibrating" because almost everyone was jumping during Streets. That was unreal.

BTW, Love & Peace or Else is INCREDIBLE. I hope its a mainstay on the next tour.

Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigloader said:

I would LOVE to hear an acoustic In God's Country! Can anyone post it? I didn't know that they ever played that acoustically.

What is your e-mail address?

This set list was great - it flowed really well, there was never a moment where you wanted to sit down at all (except for the two stiff dudes next to me who never really moved all night and actually sat down during One, but that's another story.)

I know all the die hards, like myself, loved hearing the not so well known Boy material, but honestly it didn't really work for 90% of the audience.

Also, I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I was happy they took out Zoo Station - in Anaheim when I saw them it just didn't sound that great. Anyways, I'll take Bad any day over Zoo Station - to me, there really is no comparison. Bad should be a requirement for all U2 concerts!:yes: I cannot tell you how good it felt to hear it last night.

The In God's Country snippet was very brief.

One thing I haven't seen elsewhere is that they played a snippet of Gloria after Gloria -- you know, the other G-L-O-R-I-A Gloria; the one written I believe by Van Morrison and performed by many.

Zooropean103 said:
***SPOILER: WHINING ***

PS: At least I hope in Europe we will hear something from Zooropa, Pop...

I wouldn't count on it.

In fact, I would expect to see the same songs on the playlist, especially the early stuff they are playing from Boy. If any audience in Europe gets a special bonus track from Boy/Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree, it will probably be Dublin or maybe Twickenham. Then, depending on how well they go, they may get added into the playlist for the rest of the tour.

neilm said:

Yes that was money well spent wasn't it.

Anyone else here like me who still hasn't received their membership key ring thingy-ma-jiggy?

They hate the Gold Coast and have decided to not post keychains to us.

Personally, I don't care at all if some people are disappointed about U2 playing Boy songs or not doing a best of concert. Those people will maybe not come back next time and real fans will have more tickets for them.....

I think the setlists are VERY good, lots of different albums, no more Desire, Angel of Harlem, Stay...... it's ok, the were played acoustic all 3 last tours. The best returns are ZOO Station, Gloria, Electric Co, An cat dubh/Into the heart.........and best of the best, THE FLY!!!!!

keep going U2...:larry: :adam: :bono: :edge:

Back
Top Bottom