OOTS replacing Miracle Drug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corner

Acrobat
I know this has only been the case for the past couple of gigs, but is anyone else surprised that Miracle drug has been scrapped and replaced with Original of the species? I love both tunes, but my feeling is that Miracle Drug is too strong a tune (my favourite from the album incidentally) to be omitted from a tour which is supposed to be supporting the album.
Maybe I'm overreacting (it doesn't really effect as I'm not seeing any more Vertigo gigs on top of the Croke & Hampden dates)....just think its a bit strange is all :huh:

This move may be a result of OOTS (single mix) being released to radio now and the band want this played at every US show to "back it up" so to speak.

there are lots of other songs they coul dhave taken out for it though. i dont care what anyone else says, i think miracle drug is one of the highlights of the show.

last night they didnt play electric co, miracle drug, or a rocking encore. those were the 3 highlights for me, so that was sad to see.

Yeah it's weird if they wanted to drop something it could be Bullet or SBS if there is a group that can get away with playing all of their new record its U2 IMO

I think it's a good move, Miracle Drug isn't that great in concert, it is a good rocker, but really doesn't have much energy, or place in a concert.

I dont mind it. I like both songs. I think they could have kept Miracle Drug and put Original as an encore staple instead. I think the reason alot of people dont mind it is because Miracle Drug has been done almost the entire tour. If it was the other way around and Original was in that slot the whole tour, and Miracle was just starting to see rotation. I think you would have people saying the exact same thing in reverse. Original seems fresher because its been done less. Both songs are great live and are equally as good to me.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
come on now... if they drop any of the songs in the love and peace/sunday/bullet trilogy, they have to rearange the entire set list.

and we know they ain't doin' that... so it's not even worth discussing.

I Will Follow?

well maybe Edge got fed up with that whole "Edge from the future story"

I reckon they could definately get away with playing both tunes regularly - OOTS used to be played in the final encore and it would be a much better subsitute for The First Time or Stuck in a moment, than for Miracle Drug earlier in the set. Maybe I'm just too eager to hear these excellent new songs, than the mediocre older ones though :shrug:

Ah bollocks...I just noticed that there was another thread, preceding this one about the same thing. Sorry Lazarus....please remove this thread mods.

Chizip said:
there are lots of other songs they coul dhave taken out for it though. i dont care what anyone else says, i think miracle drug is one of the highlights of the show.

Totally agree. It's a great song on the album and it gives me goosebumps when they play it live. I hope it finds its way back into the setlist for the Portland show.

Why don`t they play MD one night and OOTS the second night?
Or better play them both and throw out ISHFWILF.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I like Original as an encore song - It just works really well in that position

Miracle Drug was just coming into its own as a really great live song too

I really don't see why both songs couldn't just coexist together in the set list

Miracle Drug should not be replaced on the set list, not everynight at least. It's been played a lot but it's a great song and it's working really well live. U2 should be able to have both MD and OOTS on the same set list! I would agree with playing Miracle Drug in one night and Original Of The Species the second night though. That would be cool! :up:

what's the meaning of this??!!! Both should be played! Scrap something old and foggy like... what am I saying? I haven't even been to a U2 concert! *slaps self and runs away from thread*

I really don't care that they're not playing Miracle Drug. It was good but not a highlight, and it's been played the whole tour. Original on the other hand has been played sporadically and is by far the best song on the album and even better live. I think U2 made a good choice :up:

now if only we could get that Pop encore...

Play both Miracle Drug and OOTS... Take Out SYCMIOYO, if anything! Miracle Drug represents more than just a song. It represents the hope that new drugs, technological innovation, and science can bring to the World. The message is important and the song is great live!

Well it seems now after last night ( NY ) that OOTS has indeed taken the place of MD.

So it`s safe to say that OOTS will remain in the set if it gets played tonight in NY again.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. I think everyone who`s seeing the band perform these last few shows this year will be in for a treat with OOTS.
It was so awesome at Amsterdam3:drool: :drool: :drool:

miracle drug is one of my favorites off the album, its incredible.

but it hasnt done much for me live, it just doesnt have that certain something to jump it off to me.

I also don't like Bono's chants during the guitar solo. they should turn all the lights off and put one spotlight on Edge (along with the "fireballs" that rotate the ellipse), and let him do the solo and sing the following verse by himself.

"Play both Miracle Drug and OOTS... Take Out SYCMIOYO, if anything! Miracle Drug represents more than just a song. It represents the hope that new drugs, technological innovation, and science can bring to the World. The message is important and the song is great live!" :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Yahweh_OMG said:
"Play both Miracle Drug and OOTS... Take Out SYCMIOYO, if anything! Miracle Drug represents more than just a song. It represents the hope that new drugs, technological innovation, and science can bring to the World. The message is important and the song is great live!" :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

:yes: Well said Yahweh_OMG :up:

There's definitely a few options for adjusting the setlist whilst keeping MD & OOTS in place. I'd sooner see City of blinding lights (actually ANYTHING from the bomb) go than Miracle Drug....the withdrawl symptoms are taking hold of me now :huh:

City of Blinding Lights will never be removed either, and whoever suggested that SYCMIOYO should be taken out is crazy! First, it's done well live and second, it's a tribute song and also will not be taken out. I say leave both MD and OOTS in and take Vertigo out:wink:.

"Miracle Drug" is a better song......both live and on the album...........however, it's a welcome change if Bono currently isn't ranting before "OOTS" because it really slowed the show when he'd go on for a few minutes before launching into "Miracle Drug"

I dunno, I found Miracle Drug to be a bit like "Beautiful Day Lite" when I saw it live this year.

Not a big loss for OOTS, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom