older song you'd most like to hear live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celebration

The Fly
What is the older song you all would most like to hear live, even songs they've never performed live. There is a reasonable chance they may bring back song older songs or surprise for several reasons.

1) Bono envisions for setlist variety
2) They've had heavier song rotations in recent tours
3) They want to reward long time fans

My list:

Boy - I hope they keep Out of Control in rotation but would welcome Stories for Boys, which Bono has mentioned frequently during interviews about Vertigo.

October - Tomorrow is the perfect companion to Sometimes You Can't Make It . . . One song is about Bono losing his mother, the other his father. Plus, they redid the song for an Irish compilation, which was gorgeous.

War - Surrender would be incredible and would fit thematically with HTDAAB. Surrender is about laying down your life for God and his calling "If I ever want to live you gotta die to yourself someday". Bono's calling to serve the poor in Africa and elsewhere is unmistakable in HTDAAB. Another dream song would be Drowning Man, which they've never done live. The guitar sounds and styles in Drowning Man would work with much of HTDAAB. I love Two Hearts but it always sounded awkward live . . .

UF - The Unforgettable Fire is asking to be brought back. Bono seems to have regained some of his higher register in his voice, which is essentially for this one. Plus, who can deny the atomic link between the new album and the UF.

JT - Running to Stand Still is amazing live, but it is doubtful they'd bring it back. Bullet will be retired, which is fine . . .

AB - Lots of you love Acrobat and while it's a great song it wouldn't be that great live . . .

Zooropa - hard to imagine anything coming back

Pop - keep it retired. Good album but new songs and older gems are far superior

ATYCLB - When I Look at the World is perhaps their best and most underplayed song ever. Again the theme of service and charity in that song would fit with HTDAAB.

thoughts?

Boy - TWILIIIIIIIIGHT!
Boy era - 11 O'clock Tick Tock, damnit!
October - Gloria
War - Seconds, Surrender, 40
UF - The whole freakin' thing!
JT - ONE. TREE. HILL.
RAH - Hawkmoon 269, God Part II
Achtung Baby - Meh. Acrobat's not going to be played, so Love Is Blindness, perhaps?
Zooropa - Lemawn!
Pop - Last Night On Earth
ATYCLB - Skip this one.

I seem quite hyper in this post, don't I? Strange. I feel a lot more like I'm melting in the Queensland heat.

Boy - Electric Co. would be a nice one to bring back
October - GLORIA!!! Stranger in a Strange Land, Scarlet
War - Two Hearts, Seconds...
UF - Homecoming and UF
JT - Red Hill, Trip, In God's Country
RaH - Van Diemen's Land (Give Bono's pipes some rest for a song :p)
AB - WGRYWH, TTTYAATW
Zooropa - Dirty Day
Pop - Wake Up Dead Man, Mofo
ATYCLB - WILATW

I'm gonna go with the realistic approach:

Boy
Twilight
Stories for Boys

October
Gloria

War
Surrender
Seconds

UF
Unforgettable Fire
Sort of A Homecoming

Joshua Tree
Running to Stand Still
One Tree Hill
Trip Through Your Wires

Rattle Hum
????

Auchtung Baby
Zoo Station
Ultra Violet

Zooropa
Lemon
Dirty Day

Pop
Mofo
LNOE
Please

I think there is a strong chance we'll here a few of the tracks above.

AB: acrobat would be awsome, same with ultraviolet light
POP: last night on earth would be way cool, with that awsome solo at the end that edge plays at popmart shows

ATYCLB: when i look at the world would be cool

songs which i think might be rested are bullet in the blue sky and until the end of the world (these songs have been heavily over-played and as much as i love both songs i think they might not get as much of a look in this time around)

surrender
one tree hill
acrobat
exit
running to stand still
Indian summer sky

Last edited:
Seconds, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Gloria, The Unforgettable Fire, One Tree Hill, In God's Country, The First Time, Gone, Last Night on Earth, Please, Mofo, Out of Control, In a Little While, Kite.

Those are just some of the songs out of the ordinary that I think might pop up.

Celebration said:
AB - Lots of you love Acrobat and while it's a great song it wouldn't be that great live . . .

thoughts?

Really? How can you tell? Did you see them rehearse it? :eyebrow:

Boy - Electric Co.
October - Tomorrow
War - Like a Song
The Unforgettable Fire - The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree - Running To Stand Still, One Tree Hill, Exit
Rattle and Hum - Hawkmoon 269
Achtung Baby - Ultra Violet, ACROBAT, Love is Blindness
Zooropa - Dirty Day
Pop - Wake Up Dead Man(full band)
ATYCLB - Kite
...and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me would be nice. The Ground Beneath Her Feet full band would be AMAZING!
I can dream, can't I? :wink:

Unrealistic setlist:

Stories for boys
Tomorrow
Like a song
Wire
Exit
God Part 2
Acrobat
Dirty Day
HMTMKMKM
Mofo
When I look at the world
Yahweh
"40".......

And then I can die and rest in peace.....

I think it'd be interesting to go from Lemon to SYCMIOYO. Or from SYCMIOYO to Lemon.

You'd have to figure out a clever way to bridge them but it's his mom song and then his dad song.

Or maybe I'd just like the entire band to cut out at the end of SYCMIOYO and then have spot light on Bono's face, him leaning back looking at the ceiling and then in falsetto "Leeemon... She wore lemon to colour in the cold grey night
She had heaven and she held on so tight."

Cut spot light and I'd be a happy man.

Last edited:
^ I second that...

A Sort Of Homecoming
Drowning Man
The Cry/The Electric Co.
Party Girl
One Tree Hill
Exit
In God's Country
Heartland
Rejoice

I would also like to see them do "Scarlet" as an intro into " A Sort of Homecoming".

Celebration said:

:ohmy:

you're kidding right?!?! i can't even imagine the level that edge would take that song live. look at the album versions of Bullet and Last Night and compare them to the live versions. omg, i'd have a heart attack when Larry starts pounding those drums... :drool: :drool: :drool:

i'd love to see (in addition to Acrobat):
Wild Horses
Wire
Ground beneath her feet (full)
In God's country (full)
Silver and gold "ok, edge, play the blues..." :drool:
twilight
electric co.
rejoice :drool:
like a song
one tree hill
heartland