No Bad, and old songs for the rest of the tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckonanz

The Fly
I was reading the last two entries in Willie´s diary. It looks like in Monterrey nobody knew the old songs, and that Bad was the lowest point in the concert. That´s why they haven´t played it in the last two Mexico concerts. He said, that they will play newer songs and more upbeat for the remaining of the tour.

No older songs? :yikes: (I mean, it is the Vertigo Tour, but I think not hearing old songs might give me vertigo as a result.)

ckonanz said:
they will play newer songs and more upbeat for the remaining of the tour.

More upbeat????? the Mexico III setlist was boring and asleep :yawn:

They should go with Mofo, Discotheque, EBTTRT, One Tree Hill and songs like that instead :drool:

ckonanz said:
I was reading the last two entries in Willie´s diary. It looks like in Monterrey nobody knew the old songs, and that Bad was the lowest point in the concert. That´s why they haven´t played it in the last two Mexico concerts. He said, that they will play newer songs and more upbeat for the remaining of the tour.

unfortunately this is true, to Bad no one was singing along, and it didn't have the reaction I thought it would have

God Part III said:
I think the Boy songs will be back for Australia.

I think you are probably right.

Ponkine, I think you are in a major minority with your view on the last Mexican setlist.

Blue Room said:

Ponkine, I think you are in a major minority with your view on the last Mexican setlist.

But don't worry, when Santiago comes around you won't care what they play ;)

At least I didn't!

If not Boy songs, then atleast some Unforgettable Fire material for Austrailia...

theu2fly said:
If not Boy songs, then atleast some Unforgettable Fire material for Austrailia...

Why would that be particular to Australia? :scratch:

Yeah, they will play some Unf. Fire album songs there. Two at the most. Bad and Pride

Blue Room said:

Why would that be particular to Australia? :scratch:

Yeah, they will play some Unf. Fire album songs there. Two at the most. Bad and Pride

I figured that Unforgettable Fire was a tour where U2 went to Austrailia quite frequently...

Concert Details September 04, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 05, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 06, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 08, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 09, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 11, 1984: Brisbane, Australia @ Festival Hall
Concert Details September 13, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 14, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 15, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 17, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 18, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 20, 1984: Adelaide, Australia @ Apollo Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 21, 1984: Adelaide, Australia @ Apollo Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 23, 1984: Perth, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 24, 1984: Perth, Australia @ Entertainment Center

theu2fly said:

I figured that Unforgettable Fire was a tour where U2 went to Austrailia quite frequently...

Concert Details September 04, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 05, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 06, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 08, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 09, 1984: Sydney, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 11, 1984: Brisbane, Australia @ Festival Hall
Concert Details September 13, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 14, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 15, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 17, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 18, 1984: Melbourne, Australia @ Sports And Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 20, 1984: Adelaide, Australia @ Apollo Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 21, 1984: Adelaide, Australia @ Apollo Entertainment Centre
Concert Details September 23, 1984: Perth, Australia @ Entertainment Center
Concert Details September 24, 1984: Perth, Australia @ Entertainment Center

:scratch: Why would that have anything to do with the current tour?

Also, that wasnt the Unf. Fire tour. They started out only playing Pride for alot of that tour. The album wasnt even released when they started the "Under Australian Skies" tour.

They played alot of Lovetown there also. Does that mean we should be expecting God Part II, Hawkmoon and All Along The Watchtower there?

I just dont get your logic on it. Sorry. :shrug:

ckonanz said:

Not that surprising and IMHO totally U2's fault. They hardly ever tour outside Europe, the US and occasionally Australasia. South America was toured once during Popmart, Mexico also during Zoo TV. Small wonder the people there prefer the new stuff. They've hardly gotten to know the old stuff and how some songs like Bad, which are only so so on CD or were never hits, have become absolute classics live. After all, only a minority listens to bootlegs, even less to a lot of them. Most other people need regular live exposure to get to appreciate the utter awesomeness that is the live version of Bad. If they can't get that, are they to blame?

Blue Room said:
Also, that wasnt the Unf. Fire tour. They started out only playing Pride for alot of that tour. The album wasnt even released when they started the "Under Australian Skies" tour.

Well, it was technically a part of the UF Tour and its European leg was meant to commence within a week of the Aussie/Kiwi leg concluding (but didn't as U2 wanted more time to work out live versions of UF album songs). UF, the song, was played at quite a lot of the Australian shows too, and Wire and ASOH debuted live in Melbourne. Pride, UF's lead single, had been released when the tour took place.

I personally sometimes think of the tour as the Unforgettable Fire Tour (War Tour Remix).

They played alot of Lovetown there also. Does that mean we should be expecting God Part II, Hawkmoon and All Along The Watchtower there?

I just dont get your logic on it. Sorry. :shrug:

While I agree with your logic, I wouldn't be totally shocked if some RAH stuff did appear in Australian setlists simply because it's U2's best selling album in Australia. I'd say the RAH song with the best chance of appearing is AIWIY in ISHFWILF's spot.

Axver said:

Well, it was technically a part of the UF Tour and its European leg was meant to commence within a week of the Aussie/Kiwi leg concluding (but didn't as U2 wanted more time to work out live versions of UF album songs). UF, the song, was played at quite a lot of the Australian shows too, and Wire and ASOH debuted live in Melbourne. Pride, UF's lead single, had been released when the tour took place.

I personally sometimes think of the tour as the Unforgettable Fire Tour (War Tour Remix).

While I agree with your logic, I wouldn't be totally shocked if some RAH stuff did appear in Australian setlists simply because it's U2's best selling album in Australia. I'd say the RAH song with the best chance of appearing is AIWIY in ISHFWILF's spot.

Angel Of Harlem perhaps? Or is that asking too much...

I think AIWIY would be a nice edition... or even Van Diemen's Land, but I better quit, cus I'm only dreaming.

theu2fly said:

Angel Of Harlem perhaps? Or is that asking too much...

I think AIWIY would be a nice edition... or even Van Diemen's Land, but I better quit, cus I'm only dreaming.

Well, they did play Angel Of Harlem once this tour, but that's because a fan got on stage to play guitar.

I'd love them to play Van Diemen's Land - it's particularly appropriate in Melbourne, with Tasmania (aka Van Diemen's Land) just over Bass Strait, but they didn't do it on ZooTV or Popmart. I find the lack of VDL on ZooTV rather odd as it had been played earlier on that tour!

This tour's been full of surprises, though. I think VDL would be great around the BD/OOTS/SYCMIOYO part of the show, like Norwegian Wood.

Whatever, you guys are getting ready for MAJOR disappointment if you think anything from RAH besides All I Want Is You is getting played simply because they were in Australia. There is NO connection of RAH the "album" to Australia at all. They simply opened the Lovetown tour there. Which happened 17 years ago!

The 84 Australian tour was NOT called the Unf. Fire tour. It was called the Under Australian Skies tour and started before The Unf. Fire was even released. So I stand by what I said.

Blue Room said:
Whatever, you guys are getting ready for MAJOR disappointment if you think anything from RAH besides All I Want Is You is getting played simply because they were in Australia. There is NO connection of RAH the "album" to Australia at all. They simply opened the Lovetown tour there. Which happened 17 years ago!

As I said, the only song I think is likely is AIWIY. However, there IS a connection with RAH in that it's U2's most successful album here. If they are going to play something like God Part II (ha!), here's where people are most likely to know it.

The 84 Australian tour was NOT called the Unf. Fire tour. It was called the Under Australian Skies tour and started before The Unf. Fire was even released. So I stand by what I said.

If it wasn't the UF Tour, why was the European leg set to begin within a week of the last Australian show?

Under Australian Skies is to the UF Tour what the Pre-War Tour is to the War Tour.

Axver said:

As I said, the only song I think is likely is AIWIY. However, there IS a connection with RAH in that it's U2's most successful album here. If they are going to play something like God Part II (ha!), here's where people are most likely to know it.

If it wasn't the UF Tour, why was the European leg set to begin within a week of the last Australian show?

Under Australian Skies is to the UF Tour what the Pre-War Tour is to the War Tour.

WOW

Cant wait for God Part II and Hawkmoon then. Axver said it, RAH in Australia, its happening!

Oh, and it was NOT the Unf. Fire tour, as I said. The pre War tour was not the War tour either. Back to the point though and what you are eluding to with the RAH stuff. You actually think they are going to break out Unf. Fire stuff because they did a leg there in 84?? :yikes:

Blue Room said:

WOW

Cant wait for God Part II and Hawkmoon then. Axver said it, RAH in Australia, its happening!

Excuse me? Did you just not read my quote or something? Did you miss the "ha!" after God Part II? Did you miss that I said the only likely song is AIWIY?

Oh, and it was NOT the Unf. Fire tour, as I said.

Funny then:

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/Unforgettable_Fire_Tour.html
http://www.u2tours.com/find.src?TOUR=Unforgettable+Fire+-+1st+leg&Concert=&x=16&y=21
http://u2tour.de/tour/U2_Unforgettable_Fire_Tour.html

Despite some differences in notation, three different, independent setlist websites all agree that the Australian and New Zealand shows in 1984 were in some way part of The Unforgettable Fire Tour.

Back to the point though and what you are eluding to with the RAH stuff. You actually think they are going to break out Unf. Fire stuff because they did a leg there in 84?? :yikes:

Did you miss the part where I agreed with your logic on the UF stuff?

You're not just taking my quotes out of context, but saying I said stuff I clearly not only did not say, but said the opposite of!

:laugh: I love how you quote your own site. You really need to purchase Pimm's concert documentary book. Its the most accurate of everything out there and was written by people that actually experienced those shows and that time frame.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
:laugh: I love how you quote your own site. You really need to purchase the Pimm's concert documentary book. Its the most accurate of everything out there and was written by people that actually experienced those shows and that time frame.

Two points:

1. I quoted THREE DIFFERENT SITES. Two of which have NO CONNECTION with U2-Vertigo-Tour.com.
2. U2-Vertigo-Tour.com is NOT my site. I've worked on it for a year, but it has existed for years (previously as Elevation-Tour.com) and is not owned by me. And the owner owns MULTIPLE editions of Pimm's book. We've found mistakes in it.

I wish I had a scanner, I could post a copy of the official promoter tour poster of that leg thats in the Concert Documentary book.

Axver said:

Two points:

1. I quoted THREE DIFFERENT SITES. Two of which have NO CONNECTION with U2-Vertigo-Tour.com.
2. U2-Vertigo-Tour.com is NOT my site. I've worked on it for a year, but it has existed for years (previously as Elevation-Tour.com) and is not owned by me. And the owner owns MULTIPLE editions of Pimm's book. We've found mistakes in it.

Yes, I said its the MOST accurate. None of those sites or the book are 100% accurate. I found mistakes on your site also that have been pointed out here.

Blue Room said:

Yes, I said its the MOST accurate. None of those sites or the book are 100% accurate. I found mistakes on your site also that have been pointed out here.

If you know of any uncorrected mistakes, let me know and I'll go fix them. I think I've corrected everything pointed out here, or at least all the corrections I've seen (I certainly don't read every single post on this site!).

Oh good Lord. Axver you are the master. All setlist and tour info needs to come from you. I defer to you on all setlist and tour matters. I can't believe I'm arguing about this. Believe what you want.

U2FanPeter said:
One more reason to release some vintage concerts on DVD.

>>south Americans don't know the awesomeness of Bad<<

Live Aid?

u2fp

I think that by now its safe to say that the majority of people attending a U2 show is casual. Meaning they like the music but aren't that diehard enough to either get everything or watch a DVD at least once a day like us mortals. Since they hardly ever bother to tour there it means an even lower diehard to casual ration then in the US/Europe. Henceforth most people may know Bad but they will know the greatest hits even better.

Back
Top Bottom