Mysterious Ways played at soundcheck tonight in Anaheim...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, I can't say it's one of my live favs, but I am glad that they are continuing to work different songs in.

That is, if they even play it.

ihavefollowed said:
Thank god . . . this may be the end of Elevation.

Actually, you could be right........that or "The Fly"..........both of them have had their share of problems on the first two nights. I'd say "Elevation" was far worse though, as "The Fly" was musically competent but just had Bono forgetting most of the words.

Yay!:hyper:

I can't get enough of Mysterious Ways... especially live. That solo at the end is a sonic orgasm...:drool:

I'd take that over Elevation any day!
(although I'm not an Elevation basher, great rock song and awesome opener for the Elevation Tour)

Great news! I'd love to hear Zoo Station, The Fly, and Mysterious Ways all in a row. Bring back some of that Zoo TV magic. :D

it'd be sad to take Edge's AWESOME guitar intro to The Fly out of the show. I LOVE the slightly different intro!

They also rehearsed Mysterious Ways a few times in Vancouver, so I definitely think it will be in the set soon.

Yeah, the new Fly is very well done......the problem simply lies with Bono in that he forgets nearly all of the lyrics.........

Really, I think he's the one holding things back the most (as a lot of reviews can tell you)......"SBS" for example just seems sapped of energy on the new tour......he needs to re-memorize all of the lyrics and start giving it all a bit more.

Is it me or is the Edge simply on fire this tour? I don't remember hearing such energy in his riffs from previous tours. I was listening to the night 2 recording and was just blown away.

I agree Bono seems to still be a bit rusty, but he was 100% better night 2 than night 1, so I'd expect tonight he'll really hit his stride. I was surprised to hear him openly admit at night 2 in San Diego that they were still getting to know one another on the stage again. I thought it was a bit more like riding a bike again than that.

Anyways, Mysterious Ways will rock, I can see the big belly dancers on the curtains now....

Elevation/Beautiful Day was one of the best show opener combinations in all of rock history in my opinion. It was simply perfect. To hear it out of that arrangement seems odd to me.

Last edited:
u2wedge, I agree with most of your last post. However, I totally disagree about Elevation/Beautiful Day. I don't think that's a very good combination of songs, really.

My nominee for the best opening combo is 11 O'clock Tick Tock/I Will Follow from the UF Tour or Mofo/I Will Follow from Popmart.

I think Elevation/Beautiful Day is the best.......you get a loud rocker to get everyone excited, and then an even better pop song to get their emotions into the show.

BigMacPhisto said:
I think Elevation/Beautiful Day is the best.......you get a loud rocker to get everyone excited, and then an even better pop song to get their emotions into the show.

I don't think they flow at all. I loved how Mofo melted into I Will Follow. That was awesome.

God Part II/Desire. Probebly my favorite opening combo ever.

Followed by

Hawkmoon 269/Desire

I also thought Zoo Station/The Fly worked well together.

It makes me really happy that they retired Mysterious Ways and With or Without You for most of the final Elevation leg. Because they don't feel nearly as tired, now. Just like if they hold off on UTEOTW, it will sound really great upon return.

Blue Room said:
God Part II/Desire. Probebly my favorite opening combo ever.

Followed by

Hawkmoon 269/Desire

I also thought Zoo Station/The Fly worked well together.

:up: Great choices!

Though personally, I can't list Desire without adding All Along The Watchtower, and I figured I better stick to two-song combinations ...

Desire --> All Along The Watchtower :drool:

God Part II and Hawkmoon 269 were grossly underused as openers. Adam's bass and Edge's slide solo respectively were sensational.

By the way, another opening combo worthy of mention is The Ocean --> 11 O'clock Tick Tock from the early days. Though it was even better in reverse as 11 O'clock Tick Tock --> The Ocean closing concerts. I'd love to see the band close a show with 11 O'clock Tick Tock --> The Ocean --> 40.

I absolutely agree, Axver. The extra-long outtro on The Ocean they did (at least) a coupel of times in the Ocbober era (I think) was really cool, and it shares enough similarities with 40 that I think the segue could work very very well indeed.

UnforgettableLemon said:
It makes me really happy that they retired Mysterious Ways and With or Without You for most of the final Elevation leg. Because they don't feel nearly as tired, now. Just like if they hold off on UTEOTW, it will sound really great upon return.
Yeah, it's like, "how can I miss you if you won't go away?" They should cycle their standards to keep 'em fresh.

I would rather have Two Hearts Beat As One than Mysterious Ways. MW is another song along with WOWY, Sunday Bloody Sunday and I Will Follow that I'm just tired of hearing.

Back
Top Bottom