my setlist guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thesweetthorn

Babyface
vertigo
beautiful day
all because of you
until the end....
out of control
miracle drug
sometimes you can´t....
i will follow
mofo
crumbs fro your table
where the streets
i still haven´t....
original species
even better than the real...
stories for boys
s b sunday
kite
bad
october
love and peace or else
new years day
pride

city of blinding lights
ultra violet
yahweh

one
walk on

Nice selection of songs but way too many. Cut your list to 20-23 songs. If U2 played that setlist they might not make it out of San Diego alive.

mysetlistguys part2

obviously they could make changes,and add or remove songs each night.and yeah i do agree with you on that point,they would not leave san diego alive sure,but it would make our day right?

how about this version:

vertigo
beautiful day
all because of you
until the end of the world
sometimes you can´t make it...
miracle drug
i will follow
mofo
bullet the blue sky
running to stand still/
segue one step closer/where the streets....
gloria
s b s
kite
original of the species
bad
october
love and peace
new years day
desire

city of blinding ....
one
yahweh
walk on

You've got a nice setlist going there but I have to bring you back to earth. You will never hear Mofo, Gloria, or October live again.

And it is unlikely you'll hear Kite or Walk On.

mysetlistguys part 3

i realize some of your observations make sense.
however i do think they will make considerable changes on their setlist this time around.and sure,most, if not the entirety of the songs each and everyone of us puts into these setlists are songs we really wish the guys would actually play.i do believe also that this is a unique moment for u2 in terms of touring.their career spans 25 years and they can pluck out of their vast catalogue such a varity of tunes.and obviously i think in my heart,they will this tour,do something very special for all these people that follow them around ...and for a few lucky b....... it´s over 20 years.

i feel they could rearrange stuff like mofo,which nowadays for me it sounds edjy and agressive.maybe gloria is but a dream,maybe bono can´t reach those high notes anymore,you´re right.i think stories for boys would be a nice adition,as for walk on,we´ll see.i still think they will play the cathartic piece of resistance.

what you would suggest setlist wise?

mysetlistguys part 4

it´s actually something that popped to mind.using crumbs... after mofo.and i keep insisting guys that with an edjy and less sampled backing track mofo will sound great.also what you say about october speaks heaven to me...i still to this day feel that it must be one of the most powerful songs to play live.think acrobat? what are your opinions...it could be tried and it probably actually seems more of a commomground these days rather than back in zootv years.try and close your eyes for a moment....can you hear running to stand still in a mixed arranjement between how they played it in 87 (more an acoustic feel to it with the piano)and that guitar "lament"of 92 and segue into streets for instance,like zootv set list(why not)or ...i don´t know,suggestions??

oh before i go,just thought of tomorrow...this one i would pay extra to hear them play again.

take care everybody

Re: mysetlistguys part 3

thesweetthorn said:
what you would suggest setlist wise?

I don't think the problem with Mofo is the high notes, it's simply that there is no room for it.

A U2 setlist follows this formula:

-6 or 7 songs off the current album they are touring behind (in this case, HTDAAB)
-a handful of "U2 classics" such as Streets, WOWY, One, SBS, NYD, BTBS, UTEOTW, etc.
-one or two "surprises" for the hardcore fan base

The longer they go into their careers, the more "classics" there are to have to play each night, and the less room for surprises.

mysetlistguys part5

that´s exactly my point.
it´s in the air you can almost taste it....i may be proven otherwise but i firmly believe they will rearrange the pattern of the setlist performance.
i feel that u2 are at the moment finally at ease to embark on a very interesting journey.basicly there is no pressure but the pressure of joy in their musicianship.
a journey where to put those so many obvious classics in the waiting list to make it into the show each night.let those surprises you talk about be the core of the setlist.
i do concede that maybe in the first few dates the setlist will be quite basic...i suppose,but as their playing improves and confidence,and the reaction of fans is absorbed...wow it´s gonna be a tour to remember as probably the most diversified ever.

brief note: i have not seen so far,references to zooropa songs.i think at least daddys gonna pay...could make interesting listening.
bluesy kinda thing with a guitar riff in the likes of a b o you.

cheers

Yes on Stories for Boys.

No on Kite and Pride.

And bring on Mercy...gotta give the real fans something after this whole ticket sale disaster.

Re: mysetlistguys part5

thesweetthorn said:
i may be proven otherwise but i firmly believe they will rearrange the pattern of the setlist performance.
i feel that u2 are at the moment finally at ease to embark on a very interesting journey.basicly there is no pressure but the pressure of joy in their musicianship.
a journey where to put those so many obvious classics in the waiting list to make it into the show each night.let those surprises you talk about be the core of the setlist.
cheers

Well, I would like nothing more than for you to be right about this.

I have quite a bit of doubt though, as U2 has never been this kind of band.

Still, here's to hoping...

mysetlistguys pt6

i wish u2 would play this set list even if just for the first night.

vertigo
all because of you
i will follow
twilight
until the end....
miracle drug
sometimes you can´t ...
hawkmoon 269
the fly
crumbs from your....
an cat dubh/into the heart
original of the species
stories for boys
sunday bloody sunday
wake up dead man -b stage electric/acoustic
stay -b stage acoustic full band
tomorrow starts acoustic then finishes full tilt
bad
love and peace
city of blindin...

beautiful day
yahweh
one
where the streets....

-the perfect song to end the concert...go home with a sense of joy energy of faith renewed-

With the talk above about Mofo, I was lsitening to it yesterday, that song is friggin great and still relavant today (if not ahead of it's time). Anyway, perhaps they can so a re-worked version of Mofo, just like they did last tour with The Fly....think of the possibilities....:drool:

mysetlistguys

see...when you get around to thinking about it...the more you think about it the more you listen to it and comtemplate the possibilities...it does in the end make perfect sense.
your example is accurate to say the least.they did a killer version of the fly last tour,and it sounded amazing.and i feel that with mofo they can do likewise.mofo is a killer live song.
as we´re on the subject,staring at the sun could be introduced live this tour differently.i always found the electric version is u2 performing at their best.especially larry and adam with the rhythim section.
for me this tour feels for lack of a better word SONIC!
i think edje will kick a.. with his guitar playing.
it´s been mentioned before and i agree,the electric co. is such a discharge of energy...it sets a stadium on fire.i wish they play it.
hey everyone...would you all like me think they will play when i look at the world this time around?? link it to miracle drug.do you feel the connection?

peace everybody

I think if they play Mofo (which they should IMO), it would be great as an encore song. Love and Peace or Else would make an excellent opening song. But, both of those songs would rock live on this tour. I think U2 will come to town to rock out.

you could be right.for every other night yes sure,i think love and peace is a good opener.you know,it´s just an observation but here in europe there is this wish to see a more rock orientated setlist.and by going through all the posts on this thread,i come to the conclusion that in the us there is also kinda the same feeling.
i guess the majority of the fans and not just the longtimefans are wanting u2 to vary the setlist a lot,make this tour a sonic experience i say.definitely not churn out the classics.i´d be there at the shows but i would personally feel disappointed.i wish they come out rocking every night and surprise us with things like stories for boys and mofo and running to stand still...(...)

oh i dream they will play when i look at the world this time around.don´t you find that some songs kinda seem to fit in perfectly now?? like the ones i just mentioned?

exit keeps coming to mind too...desire full tilt!!

Exit, Desire (full-tilt as you say), Mofo, The Fly, Staring at the Sun (full band) would blow everyone away and definitely take us to a sonical place we've never been before. It would be a differently exciting U2 concert experience. I'll be there whatever they play but I definitely agree with your suggestions.

Can you imagine 'When I Look At the World' being played?? How awesome would that be????? I think that song would translate well live and may even be completely different than the ATYCLB version. There seems to be many layers to that song. We may get our wish....I hope so.

I think the boys have a few surprises up their sleeves....they can play anything they want now at this point in their career.

you make an excellent remark.
as bono said a few times already,u2 have come a long way and they feel the pressure now comes not in terms of deadlines or will we make it this time....() it now comes in the shape of joy knowing they are at the top of their game and knowing exactly where to go.

and i agree with you on another matter.i noticed this a few days ago whilst watching online some of the performance of u2 in some bbc studio() bono is singing in a way that almost creeps me out.he´s singing....you know...it´s not just passion,it´s not just anger,it´s something other,it´s like he spent the last two records journeying through melodic landscapes and verse structures.and now he is letting it all out in this massive outburst.it´s mind blowing!! remember he is 45! this to say that songs like wilatw or the unf. fire,or gloria (this one i make no reservations...he might just surprise everyone by singing this one).

i must share with you,deep down i am a fan who kinda still waits for that dirtier record.maybe they had to put out htdaab before coming with a denser album.

I have to disagree with WILATW. Very nice song, but if it made the setlist and something else such as Exit, Gloria, Desire (Full band), or Mofo did not, I think that would be an injustice. Just my 2 cents.

i was just thinking that there are some songs i haven´t mentioned before which i think would be interesting.to hear them play, wire or acrobat or gloria and for that matter exit.these are songs that sure would blow me away!
and then there are songs that may not be in their heads.zoo station,god part 2,staring at the sun(full band-electric)

vertigo
i will follow
all because ...
beautiful day
sometimes you...
exit
wire
the fly
electrical storm
original of the species
miracle drug
until the end...