More spoilers from Vancouver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
re 9.5 min video

i haven't read thata article so if it mentions it, I'll sound stupid but...

I reckon the 9 and un half minute video could only be in relation to the ONE campaign and the encore will be opened by One. For Axver's sake, I'm going to say this is the second encore which will be One/Yahweh/40

i don't like this idea of a video.... seems kinda a little over the top. i mean i love the boy's causes, just doesn't seem characteristic. oh well.

btw. Achtung Baby is fantastic, more songs from it. annnd go!

haha, although i'd love to hear fire, gloria, drowning man, hawkmoon, or tomorrow.....

RA-D said:
re 9.5 min video

i haven't read thata article so if it mentions it, I'll sound stupid but...

I reckon the 9 and un half minute video could only be in relation to the ONE campaign and the encore will be opened by One. For Axver's sake, I'm going to say this is the second encore which will be One/Yahweh/40

The article actually says it's about the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights, so I think it will co-incide with something other than One. I see four options: One, Bullet, LAPOE, and Crumbs. I've discounted One as I think it will come later in the encore (as the encore will be more than three songs, and I got the implication this video comes between main set and [first?] encore - not sure if they are doing two encores), and discounted Bullet because it usually moves in the setlist so I doubt it will open the encores like on Elevation. So LAPOE or Crumbs, and I think Crumbs fits better with the Declaration: "where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die". But it hasn't been rumoured as being rehearsed ...

Blue Room said:
:lol: Look out, the Achtung fans are offended!!!

I think the point is those songs from that era were played not that long ago. Some of the other stuff hasnt been done in 20 years!! Most diehards would typically like to hear the stuff that hasnt been done in a LONG time or was not done much. Zoo Station is cool, and I think its awesome they may play it. But I think Electric Co, An Cat Dubh and Gloria are WAY bigger deals. Bono had said they would never do Gloria again at one point.

Regarding the Zoo tour, it was very popular. Joshua Tree though it was also mass hysteria. In some ways there was more hysteria during JT than Zoo. So I dont think that is really a characteristic about why Zoo is held up like some type of holy experience. It was cool, but so was JT, Popmart and Elevation!!

Precisely. Well said.

But.

It's considered by most to have been groundbreaking in a way that those other tours were not. I saw them all, and of course they were all great, I'm not saying they weren't - but since 2001, I haven't met a single U2 fan who, given the chance to see a tour they missed, DIDN'T pick Zoo. I think it's the favorite tour of MANY fans, due to the perfect mesh of A/V and the sets they were playing at the time. A kind of synergy that wasn't achieved before, and hasn't been achieved since, in my opinion - though Elevation was a close second.

frozenmuze04 said:
But.

It's considered by most to have been groundbreaking in a way that those other tours were not. I saw them all, and of course they were all great, I'm not saying they weren't - but since 2001, I haven't met a single U2 fan who, given the chance to see a tour they missed, DIDN'T pick Zoo. I think it's the favorite tour of MANY fans, due to the perfect mesh of A/V and the sets they were playing at the time. A kind of synergy that wasn't achieved before, and hasn't been achieved since, in my opinion - though Elevation was a close second.

Well, here's a fan who missed Zoo who would much rather have seen Lovetown and doesn't think Zoo was an exceptional tour at all.

Axver said:

Well, here's a fan who missed Zoo who would much rather have seen Lovetown and doesn't think Zoo was an exceptional tour at all.

you make the point as to why your opinion on the matter means little. a fan who missed and doesn't think it was exceptional. your opinion is simply because you missed it.

i can understand wanting to see Lovetown, but to say zootv was not exceptional - your entitled to your opinion- but your losing credibility when you say something was not exceptional when you did not expereince it.

videos are nothing new for U2.....Remember Charlton Heston and the NRA video during intermission.then ripping into Bullet the Blue Sky?

It would be hysterical if they brought back the Zoo Confessionals !

Seeing that they'll have at least a 10 min break with this video, will this allow them to pull deeper into their song history and play more songs than usual
say 23-26 songs since they'll have a longer break than on the Elevation tour.

Seems possible, but I don't see them expanding the setlist. Any thoughts?

ayearwome said:
Seeing that they'll have at least a 10 min break with this video, will this allow them to pull deeper into their song history and play more songs than usual
say 23-26 songs since they'll have a longer break than on the Elevation tour.

Seems possible, but I don't see them expanding the setlist. Any thoughts?

That's exactly what I've been wondering about too. I think they just might do more than the usual 20 songs and go on a little more like Bruce and Rush do (maybe just not as much as them). That would be great, they seem to be in great physical form and rehearsing a lot of songs so I think it could happen. I hope it does. :D

Axver said:

The ZOO TV tour absolutely changed my life, made me realize what a transcendent experience a live show could be, and cemented U2 as my all-time favorite band. It was so over the top, so unlike anything anyone had ever done before. It was absolutely stunning, and the music ... wow.

I remember walking out of Camp Randall Stadium in Madison WI after the show utterly drained. I could barely walk home.

And you didn't see it.

Had you seen it, you might start to understand why so many long-time U2 fans, myself included, are disappointed with the band post 1997.

Last edited:
jphelmet said:

you make the point as to why your opinion on the matter means little. a fan who missed and doesn't think it was exceptional. your opinion is simply because you missed it.

i can understand wanting to see Lovetown, but to say zootv was not exceptional - your entitled to your opinion- but your losing credibility when you say something was not exceptional when you did not expereince it.

As a fan that saw Zoo I can honestly say I think people overrate it. It was cool and I did like it but there seems to be this overlying attitude by alot of people here that it was some type of unearthly holy experience. Just not the case. You pointed out that Axver's opinion is because he did not see it. I see alot of the same in reverse here. Those that typically hold Zoo up at such lofty levels are fans that never saw it themselves other than on video.

My bottom line on the Zoo Tour, it was cool, saw it 8 times. But the music was overwhelmed by the production and it seemed to become secondary somewhat. I simply did not care for that aspect of it. Great tour, but it wasnt the greatest thing since sliced bread to me. JT, Popmart and Elevation were as good to me.

Blue Room said:

My bottom line on the Zoo Tour, it was cool, saw it 8 times. But the music was overwhelmed by the production and it seemed to become secondary somewhat. I simply did not care for that aspect of it. Great tour, but it wasnt the greatest thing since sliced bread to me. JT, Popmart and Elevation were as good to me.

Would you put any of the other tours above zootv? i agree with you they are all great, and i am not a fan that thinks zoo tv is hands down the best tour. like you said i agree the other tours were as good, although i personally perferred zoo tv to popmart ( i think your point about the visuals being primary to the music was more so in popmart than zoo tv) . my point was for someone to call zoo tv, or any u2 tour for that matter, unexceptional when they have never experienced it in person is just silly.

just for the record- i prefer elevation tour to zoo tv and popmart, but they doesn't make zoo tv or popmart unexceptional. as far as i am concerrned they were all exceptional tours.

Joshua Tree to me was amore powerful tour than Zoo. When the Zoo tour came U2 had been gone for a while, and then they came back playing sets with almost no old material. eventaully that changed up a bit, but it was intitailly disapointing.

Now Zoo wsa great --don't get me wrong--I'm firmly in the camp that any U2 time you get to see U2 live its a good thing! And the production aspect was fun. But at the time I was not ready for the ironic U2--I was left longing for the earnest U2. I look back now and see waht they were doing more clearly and how they were hitting upon themes and bekiefs as they always do but just doing in a different way. But at the time, iit didnt have the full effect on me....

ZooTV was the best tour of all time. You people are f-ed! If you never saw it, you missed out. All U2 concerts are great, but the Zoo was filthy...

Zootv WAS The BEST ROCK Experience EVER

And by Any group!

In 40 years....in books, they're gonna talk about Zoo Tv...Not Elevation tour or The PopMart!

Zootv was AWESOME, BRILLANT!!!

ZOO was a band who tried to move in a new direction and succeeded - how often does that happen?
And with style. A perfectly formed setlist (a gripe with some who want it shaken up, but what proportion of the audience actually see the show more than 2 or 3 times) which was based on thier confidence in their new material. The B stage which was a novelty for them. Wicked renditions of bullet/running to form a dark asmophere in the middle. Some hits and love is blindness at the end. For me perfect.
POPMART didn't match it, a bit detached, and also under rehearsed. Elevation then tried to marry up the techy 90's with the stripped down 80's. Did it work? I enjoyed it.
Listened to Glasgow 84 last night and the energy was awesome. I was jealous cos i wasnt around then.
But thats 21 years ago!

fredstab said:
Zootv WAS The BEST ROCK Experience EVER

And by Any group!

In 40 years....in books, they're gonna talk about Zoo Tv...Not Elevation tour or The PopMart!

Zootv was AWESOME, BRILLANT!!!

true.

jphelmet said:

Well said...

So nobody but me missed the earnest U2? I find this odd beacuse at the time, I rememebr lots of others feeling as I did/

Again Zoo was awesome, and I appreciate more now than I did then. But its not my favorite U2 tour. That goes to JT.

Back
Top Bottom