Miracle Drug should go.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i hate this thread with the fire of a thousand burning suns.

don't worry ax i don't hate you. just this idea.

Axver said:
Also, removing MD means Sometimes might finally find a more appropriate setlist spot than before LAPOE. I don't like that transition on the album and it's just as weak live. A heartfelt song about Bono's departed father --> an aggressive political rocker? [...] It's a jarring and unnecessary mood change.

Hi Axver, I remember asking you why you didn't like the SYCMIOYO -> LAPOE transition, but I haven't had a chance to reply to your reply (in another thread). Anyway, I just wanted to say that while I see your point, I think I understand why U2 are doing this and maybe I can shed some light on this.

I believe Bono was not only saddened but also angered and frustrated by his father's death. So much so that it propelled him to double his efforts with humanitarian causes such as world peace.

As I'm sure we all know Love And Peace Or Else is a very angry song, and I remember reading that the tracklisting they decided on had a definete purpose and reasoning to it. So I can only deduce that it's somewhat chronological in the sense that Bob's passing pushed Bono to write a song like LAPOE (ie. the urgency in the "...Or Else").

Picture this:

-Bono is busy with the Jubilee 2000 campaign, pushing for governments to drop the debt and send much needed drugs to third world countries: Miracle Drug

-Bono's father passes away in September, 2001, leaving him with much grief and frustration: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

-Bono, angry, turns his frustration into inspiration and pens an anti-war song, a plea to the feuding cultures and terrorist groups of the Middle East (and beyond): Love And Peace Or Else

-The audiences in the third leg of the Elevation tour lift Bono's spirits and inspire the line "Oh, you look so beautiful tonight": City Of Blinding Lights

-Comforted by God, family and friends, Bono realizes how much importance the people who really matter to him have in his life, especially God: All Because Of You

-This comfort then becomes more personal, as Bono reflects on his relationship with Ali, and the overall state of loving relationships currently: A Man And A Woman

-After some more personal introspection (see previous), Bono is again turned to global affairs, and this time the urgency is more heartfelt and passionate in a pleading and less angry way: Crumbs From Your Table

-Bono, most likely away doing humanitarian work, reminisces about his father's passing, as he contemplates where he went (ie. afterlife): One Step Closer

-More contemplation leads to a song about Edge's daughter, and people as individuals in general: Original Of The Species

-In conclusion, a statement that though we must deal with difficult situations in our lives, there is a better place waiting for us, and meanwhile God is still with us here on earth and we can call to him for help: Yahweh

Note: You may wonder how Vertigo fits into all of this. Well, in my opinion, from a chronological POV it shouldn't be the 1st track (it probably fits somewhere between LAPOE and COBL, or COBL and ABOY), but because it's such an upbeat, rocking song---the kind of song that makes you go back to the studio to record another album, as I believe Bono said---it was the clear choice for the album opener. Also, due to its lyrical context, it's the best representation of the current state of the world, which has been pretty constant since 9/11.

Just my two cents... Let me know what you think. :wink:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Miracle Drug should go.

MarcusOneTree said:

Hi Axver, I remember asking you why you didn't like the SYCMIOYO -> LAPOE transition, but I haven't had a chance to reply to your reply (in another thread). Anyway, I just wanted to say that while I see your point, I think I understand why U2 are doing this and maybe I can shed some light on this.

I believe Bono was not only saddened but also angered and frustrated by his father's death. So much so that it propelled him to double his efforts with humanitarian causes such as world peace.

As I'm sure we all know Love And Peace Or Else is a very angry song, and I remember reading that the tracklisting they decided on had a definete purpose and reasoning to it. So I can only deduce that it's somewhat chronological in the sense that Bob's passing pushed Bono to write a song like LAPOE (ie. the urgency in the "...Or Else").

Picture this:

-Bono is busy with the Jubilee 2000 campaign, pushing for governments to drop the debt and send much needed drugs to third world countries: Miracle Drug

-Bono's father passes away in September, 2001, leaving him with much grief and frustration: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

-Bono, angry, turns his frustration into inspiration and pens an anti-war song, a plea to the feuding cultures and terrorist groups of the Middle East (and beyond): Love And Peace Or Else

-The audiences in the third leg of the Elevation tour lift Bono's spirits and inspire the line "Oh, you look so beautiful tonight": City Of Blinding Lights

-Comforted by God, family and friends, Bono realizes how much importance the people who really matter to him have in his life, especially God: All Because Of You

-This comfort then becomes more personal, as Bono reflects on his relationship with Ali, and the overall state of loving relationships currently: A Man And A Woman

-After some more personal introspection (see previous), Bono is again turned to global affairs, and this time the urgency is more heartfelt and passionate in a pleading and less angry way: Crumbs From Your Table

-Bono, most likely away doing humanitarian work, reminisces about his father's passing, as he contemplates where he went (ie. afterlife): One Step Closer

-More contemplation leads to a song about Edge's daughter, and people as individuals in general: Original Of The Species

-In conclusion, a statement that though we must deal with difficult situations in our lives, there is a better place waiting for us, and meanwhile God is still with us here on earth and we can call to him for help: Yahweh

Note: You may wonder how Vertigo fits into all of this. Well, in my opinion, from a chronological POV it shouldn't be the 1st track (it probably fits somewhere between LAPOE and COBL, or COBL and ABOY), but because it's such an upbeat, rocking song---the kind of song that makes you go back to the studio to record another album, as I believe Bono said---it was the clear choice for the album opener. Also, it's the best representation of the current state of the world, which has been pretty constant since 9/11.

Just my two cents... Let me know what you think. :wink:

I like that analysis a lot :yes: it makes the album more of a journey.

Re: Re: Re: Miracle Drug should go.

AtomicBono said:
I like that analysis a lot :yes: it makes the album more of a journey.

Thanks. :wink:

I should add that I believe the title "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is actually a guide to this journey: "fear to faith". Which, would mean that God (and belief in Him) is the only way to dismantle the so-called "bomb".

It's unfortunate and ironic that the reason these wars are going on are primarily due to religious beliefs... :slant:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Miracle Drug should go.

MarcusOneTree said:

Thanks. :wink:

I should add that I believe the title "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is actually a guide to this journey: "fear to faith". Which, would mean that God (and belief in Him) is the only way to dismantle the so-called "bomb".

It's unfortunate and ironic that the reason these wars are going on are primarily due to religious beliefs... :slant:

Indeed it is...hence COEXIST, which is probably the most important message anyone can send right now.

Back
Top Bottom