Miracle Drug dropped--BAD MOVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
Is this possibly the most idiotic setlist decision of the entire tour?

I understand that with every added or subtracted song there is another complaint, but this one just pisses me off to no end.

While Miracle Drug has its detractors, I think it goes over very well live, and is one of the few new songs that really builds to a fever pitch at the end. It's one of the new songs that ALWAYS gets a big response from the crowd.

Now I'm REALLY glad that OOTS is back in the setlist (at least for tonight). But why sacrifice another new song to include it? Why does Bono give us this shit in Rolling Stone about how The Bomb is the best collection of songs they've written and then lose the nerve to stand behind them? Why the fuck is With Or Without You played every night? Why? The first leg was FINE without it. Same with ISHFWILF.

Once again, the problem is rotation. You can apologize all you want for this band, and accuse others of never being satisfied, but what it comes down to is that the only songs being rotated out are the really GOOD ONES. The tired, overplayed material gets added and stays there, while unearthed gems like RTSS or Wild Horses make a big impression and then get the axe. Ironically, the least known song (Miss Sarajevo) gets to stick around every night, where it's clearly not as effective as other curveballs. Electric Co. shouldn't have to take a night off for I Will Follow--that honor should go to something else.

We've all beat this to death but tonight just underlines the problem. Are these guys just that dumb when it comes to their own material? Because while every added song has been welcome, the deletions and substitutions have been wrong, wrong, wrong every step of the way.

Last edited:
Well in Houston and Dallas, Miracle Drug was the first main "PISS BREAK" for a lot of people. Don't know if that had has anything to do with it, but I assume that happened at a lot of places.

But people have to piss at somepoint.

I mostly disagree. Firstly, what I agree with: your points about how U2 are often rotating out the best material, and that the first leg survived quite fine without WOWY and ISHFWILF. They could easily be rotated out to bring in songs like OOTS, Mysterious Ways, The First Time, Fast Cars, et cetera.

However, your general point, I completely disagree with. In fact, a while ago, I proposed that U2 replace Miracle Drug with OOTS and when they did it today, I was positively thrilled. At my three concerts, I found the MD/SYCMIOYO combo to be the second most boring part of the show (the most boring part was a tie between One and ABOY). I don't feel Miracle Drug has ever taken off properly live - Edge doesn't burst out of the slide solo powerfully enough, and I feel Bono drags the end down instead of bringing it to a soaring, rousing conclusion (I also hate when he sings over some of Edge's verse, and I think the strings have been cut now but they sucked). It's tended to lack the spark of the studio version.

On the other hand, the new version of OOTS featuring Terry Lawless is great, it's what the song always should've been. It's so much more than the studio version, butchered by poor production, and greatly improves on the version done on the first leg. I also think it's a great song to follow Beautiful Day rather than Miracle Drug, which shares a few too many similarities (playing New Year's Day between the two at some first leg shows was a good idea). I think OOTS is a much better song live, and bringing it in for Miracle Drug a great move that should've happened earlier.

Now if only they'd replace SYCMIOYO with Kite (or follow OOTS with Running To Stand Still if we want to keep the piano theme running) ... yeah, I know that's not going to happen any time this tour, but I do think SYCMIOYO plods and I wouldn't miss it.

Last edited:
I scanned that too fast and thought we started talking about bloody piss. I mean, damn, if you need to go that badly, you've got more to worry about than what song the band's playing right now.

It`s indeed great that OOTS gets played instead of M.Drug.
( maybe they could play one of them the 1st and the other the 2nd night in order to please multiple-show fans like most of us:wink: )

Totally agreed about SYCMIOYO get swapped with Kite.
( again maybe they could swap them on multiple shows? )
I think that Kite is a way more powerfull tune than SYCMIOYO live.
A highlight at the Elevation tour.

Good to see Electric Co back , no show should be without that.
Now if only they would rotate ISHFWILF with An Cat Dubh from time to time....!
And swap Elevation with Gloria or Out Of Control.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Indeed no-one should have a piss-break during a world-class show haha.

I think I'm one of the few that thinks Miracle Drug is great live, and with the new graphics it's one of my highlights of the show. So I agree with Lazarus here. I also strongly agree that they always seem to take out the best songs to put in new stuff. First it was Zoo Station, then both Zoo Station and the Fly got cut, Electric Co gets rotated out, Running to Stand Still, these were all of their best songs in the set, yet U2 thinks they are the most expendable. Confuses me as well.

I'd like to see OOTS take a regular spot in the setlist, but not at the expense of Miracle Drug. Sub it in for Miss Sarajevo or Yahweh in the second encore or many other places.

But like I said, when U2 decide they want to add a song like UTEOTW early in the set, and they can choose to replace either Elevation or Electric Co, and they decide to take out Electric Co, it disheartens me.

This probably has nothing to do with this thread, but how amazing would it be if they closed the first encore with One Tree Hill instead of With or Without You? Sure, probably not as many people would know the song, but it would be 100x better, and shouldn't that u2's goal, to put on a better show rather than songs more people might know?

And I mean One Tree Hill is still a song from their biggest selling record, and has been a regular on a past tour, it shouldnt be that unknown. Yet we get to hear a stale With or Without You again. Once again, sometimes I question their decisions.

Chizip said:
This probably has nothing to do with this thread, but how amazing would it be if they closed the first encore with One Tree Hill instead of With or Without You? Sure, probably not as many people would know the song, but it would be 100x better, and shouldn't that u2's goal, to put on a better show rather than songs more people might know?

And I mean One Tree Hill is still a song from their biggest selling record, and has been a regular on a past tour, it shouldnt be that unknown. Yet we get to hear a stale With or Without You again. Once again, sometimes I question their decisions.

I completely agree, and not just because I love One Tree Hill. Really, replace 'One Tree Hill' with the name of any other song from track 5 to 11 of The Joshua Tree and I still totally agree. In God's Country, Exit, Trip Through Your Wires - these aren't obscure songs. JT's sold something like 15-20 million copies, hasn't it? People know these songs! More people have JT than HTDAAB.

And what about The Unforgettable Fire? It's on the freakin' Best Of and was a regular of three tours - it's not obscure in the slightest, and it would work sensationally in ISHFWILF's spot. UF is a sonic masterpiece and really needs to come back.

But like I said, when U2 decide they want to add a song like UTEOTW early in the set, and they can choose to replace either Elevation or Electric Co, and they decide to take out Electric Co, it disheartens me.

Yeah, I don't get that. I've listened to the audio of the Chicago DVD and The Electric Co. rocks Vertigo and Elevation out of the park. If any song needs to stay in the setlist, The Electric Co. is it. I do really enjoy Elevation live, but everyone would survive quite nicely if it made way for UTEOTW some nights.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...Miracle Drug is what this band is all about - the future. Original of the Species is a song about the past. In Oakland i was blown away by the power of Miracle Drug. This song offers hope, hope for the future, and a belief that love can make the future a better place. And, it features the best lyrics on Bomb.
I understand how original (really no pun intended) Original of the Species is with the ABCD ABCD structure, but that second A's lyrics are not so good. Plus Bono's scant is embarassing.

I've never understood why people love the UF? I can appreciate all the dynamics and sonic layers, but really if people piss during Miracle Drug, they sure as hell will piss during this song live.

Interesting move. Being a future single, will this finally the permanent place in the set that it deserves?

blueyedpoet said:
I've never understood why people love the UF?

Because UF is sonic brilliance, perhaps?

And I certainly haven't read reviews describing mass exoduses to the toilets during UF/JT/Lovetown Tour gigs when UF was not only played, but considered by some to be a highlight.

I prefer Miracle Drug over OOTS....no doubts about it. I agree that the concert part between MD and SYCMIOYO is boring, because he talks too much...:blahblah: however, when it comes to songs, MD is much better and rocking than OOTS.... Imo

Play OOTS instead of WOWY or ISHFWILF..... not e great new song like MD!!!!:mad:

ANyway, glad to see Until the end of the world back..... and THE FLYYYYYYYYY!!!!!:drool:

lazarus said:
Is this possibly the most idiotic setlist decision of the entire tour?
Why the fuck is With Or Without You played every night? Why? The first leg was FINE without it. Same with ISHFWILF.

Because not every person going to see U2 are fanatical fans like you and me.
Most concert go-ers go to one gig on a tour and they pay their ticket price to hear 'the hits' and 'the new album' and 'the new singles' - full stop!
An example of this, if I went to see the Stones on tour I would only go to one gig and I would want them to play all the hits!
U2 have got to think about this section of their audience because otherwise they wouldn't sell tickets>make money>make music>retire.

Of course, the band are 'playing' with their die-hard fanbase as they know that those fans will support the band no matter what so at times the band can 'seem' to piss on their fans, but not really - if you see what I mean.

Re: Re: Miracle Drug dropped--BAD MOVE

U2mixer said:

Because not every person going to see U2 are fanatical fans like you and me.
Most concert go-ers go to one gig on a tour and they pay their ticket price to hear 'the hits' and 'the new album' and 'the new singles' - full stop!

That doesn't excuse WOWY or ISHFWILF. U2 have so many hits that they can easily rotate them. I'm sure the average concertgoer would be just as happy with WOWY as Mysterious Ways, or AIWIY rather than ISHFWILF, or Desire instead of Elevation.

Really, don't U2 play quite enough hits as it is? And why can't the casual fan enjoy other songs?

Re: Re: Re: Miracle Drug dropped--BAD MOVE

See post below...doh!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Miracle Drug dropped--BAD MOVE

Axver said:

That doesn't excuse WOWY or ISHFWILF. U2 have so many hits that they can easily rotate them. I'm sure the average concertgoer would be just as happy with WOWY as Mysterious Ways, or AIWIY rather than ISHFWILF, or Desire instead of Elevation.

I think the average concert goer would rather they play WOWY and ISHFWILF - Desire for Elevation, maybe.

I think the band can read feedback from a tour crowd and if that crowd is consistently going CRAZY during Elevation, WOWY or ISHFWILF then the band will opt to keep those tracks in.

Axver said:

Really, don't U2 play quite enough hits as it is? And why can't the casual fan enjoy other songs?

once again U2 do abit of mixing up and people still moan that its not the songs they wanted mixing up, even though these people begged U2 to mix up

blueyedpoet said:
I've never understood why people love the UF? I can appreciate all the dynamics and sonic layers, but really if people piss during Miracle Drug, they sure as hell will piss during this song live.

no they wouldn't.

The UF is an amazing song. i'd kill to hear this live although the likelyhood of them bringing this song back is very remote. then again they brought back The Ocean so who knows:wink:

1stepcloser said:
[B}

The UF is an amazing song. i'd kill to hear this live although the likelyhood of them bringing this song back is very remote. then again they brought back The Ocean so who knows:wink: [/B]

I`ve seen UF live ( Amsterdam `89 ) , Bono voice was getting messed up that night but boy did the whole crowd get mad during the song.
Edge is amazing on it live:drool: :drool: :drool:
Hell...yeah bring back UF NOW:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Why oh why is R&H ignored this tour????
Hawkmoon would be so cool to see live again:drool: :drool:
Or Desire ( electric ) instead of Elevation:madspit:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Miracle Drug dropped--BAD MOVE

Axver said:

Axver, I f*cked up my reply.

What I meant to say to answer your second question was -

Sure, casual fans CAN enjoy other songs BUT us 'fanatical' fans don't always enjoy the 'other songs' - know what I mean ;)

WOWY and ISHFWILF are the two songs that hit #1 in the U.S., so it's no surprise that they are playing them again every night. It was quite amazing how infrequent they were played during the first leg (not that I minded personally).

However, it would be nice to hear some of the other hits from time to time. A rotation of Elevation, Mysterious Ways, and Desire, for example, would be better than Elevation every night.

So what's the deal everyone, do we like setlist rotation, or don't we? If we do like it, then this is a fairly rare one, as it's broken up Sometimes and Miracle Drug for the first time this tour. Or do you prefer the current setlist?

OR, would you just like to see U2 play the songs YOU want, no matter how unlikely or unfitting they are? Songs like WOWY are great songs, but just because people have been at tens of concerts they don't like it anymore. Hell, I even hear some people say that Streets should be cut! :ohmy: Though I'd love to hear The Unforgettable Fire or One Tree Hill live, I know we're unlikely to hear them, as we know that U2 have very static setlists on the whole. And I really don't think Bono could sing UF any more, nor can I imagine it fitting anywhere in the setlist.

In fact, this has probably been one of the best U2 tours for variation yet. AFAIK (though I'm no authority on this), Elevation was static, Popmart was static (barring Edge's kareoke), and Zoo TV was static, though still awesome! :D By comparison, the Vertigo tour has been very switched around, excluding a static European tour (except Dublin III of course). Songs like 40, ACD/ITH, Gloria, The First Time, Zoo Station have all come back after lengthy absences. The encores actually change regularly now. Bad is in rotation (which absolutely sucks for people who miss it, but is amazing for the song).

But I don't think I'd miss Elevation being played every night... :wink:

The band seems very unsure of itself these days. Weird setlist decisions being only one example.

Dropping "Miracle Drug" is a HUGE mistake. I mean, like it or not, this song has become the "centerpiece" new song that every other tour has featured - "Until the End" on Zoo, "Kite" on Elevation. It signals the heart-of-darkness section of the show, and the trio of MD, SYCMIOYO, and LAPOE should really be unshakeable if the band intends to solidify Bomb as the showstopper they claim it to be (and I think it is).

It's a shame that they can't see their way clear to just add OOTS or something like that instead of having an add/drop policy. It's true that there are many casual fans that might rather hear hits, yes. But it's also true that there are MANY diehards who have stuck with the band through thick and thin, and at this point, those fans shouldn't be ignored any more than the casual fans should be. I certainly appreciate the variation, but would I have had the band open with "I Will Follow" or something on the Zoo tour rather than open with "Zoo Station" every night? No. I think when you're touring behind an album, it should be your focus to concentrate your energies into those new songs. It's the only way a band grows and continues to connect with an audience, and it might be part of the reason behind U2's steady-decline in "cool" with much of the media since the days of Zoo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom