MERGED->please drop Bullet and Elevation!+already bored this tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no need to get bent. im sure your excited just like everybody who goes , believer or not , but in my opinion i wish they had a better setlist. did they play your favorite song tonight? do you think they could lenghten the show a little and play at least 1 track from every album? lets all chill and go back to our bono shrine and light the candles.

i'm still holding out for the third leg shows and some changes to the setlist there...

I love people who come onto a FAN WEB SITE and bash people.....for...GASP!..... being fans of the band. What's even better are people saying things like "Let's admit it...blah blah blah" or "I'm not an apologist...blah blah....".

I've been to 6 shows this tour, have enjoyed all 6 greatly, set list shake-ups or not, so, do me a favor and speak for yourself and don't suggest that anyone needs to "admit" anything or that they need to face facts.

Lastly, and this is too mind-boggling for me to really comment on in-depth.....how is it people get bored with the set list and they have not even been to a show? That's so completely fucking insane that I cannot begin to wrap my brain around it.

So, yeah, someone who posted earlier in this thread and complained will now tell me to "relax" or "chill"...whatever.....my advice to some of you people is...either stop listening to every bootleg you can from a tour you've yet to experience in person, or sell your fucking ticket to someone who will actually appreciate it.

MrBrau1 said:

You just described the whole board:

"What's Your Favorite Album?"
"What's Your Favorite Song?"
"Look at my new U2 mix"
"What's the worst U2 song?"
"The set rules"
"The set sucks"
"U2 are sell outs"
"U2 are not sell outs"

Then leave, Mr Brau. From what I've seen of your constant negative posts, you'd be doing us all a favour.

Attending shows has an element of surprise, wheareas you know in advance what is on a bootleg.

I went to 5 shows, and it was only the last show where I experienced mements of boredom. I cannot think of another touring act I could sit through 5 straight shows - I've seen peal jam and some of the newer stuff lost me - I can only stand DMB in 1 hr increments.

Each night had moments of the same thing, with little variations at each concert.

Simple written setlists are only 25% of the story.

u2FP

U2DMfan said:
U2 have played 16 songs on every night of the tour
40 was dropped once
Mysterious Ways=all but two shows
Yahweh-Zoo Station=all but three shows

folks, that is 19 out of 23 that have been in the set very regularly

IT IS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR SOME MORE VARIANCE.

They're not exactly known for mixing things up on a nightly basis, so I don't get where people would be waiting for them to all of a sudden break out into a Lemon/Exit/Heartland encore or whatever. Also, I saw someone else post here the other day how for a lot of people their show will be the only U2 show they see all year, and if they're casual fans they would want to hear the "stale" hits like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, etc.

As for the people complaining, I'd love to know if any of them have even been to a show yet on this tour (or for that matter, ever). Boots cannot compare to the real thing.

This discussion is really getting boring. Back in 2001 we had the exact same discussion on setlists as we have now. And now people are saying Elevation was a lot better. I dont get it. Why should U2 be mixing things up? Just because we can look on the internet and see that the last show was really great, with all those rarely played songs? Come on, most people go to a U2 show once this tour, and they want to hear the big songs. Some people here seem to think U2 just plays for them.

U2FanPeter said:
Remember the Mid-march 2005 Jamshowbiz McGuiness interview where he said u2 were working on 2 seperate setlists?

I think this has proven to be true. The problem with the quote though is that a lot of people equated "2 setlists" with meaning 22 songs on 1 list and a DIFFERENT 22 songs on the other. What they have put together is a set of the same songs in 2 different running orders. This is something we probably should have been prepared for as U2 has never been known to vary their setlists to the degree that people want. They have never done what Pearl Jam, DMB or Bruce Springsteen do. So I think it's a bit foolish to expect that they would do it now.

However, that being said, of course I would like to see them dust of a few hidden gems. I am just prepared for the fact that it's highly unlikely.

My 2 cents.

Peace.

U2 always has a standard set list, on every tour. I remember people not wanting to hear "the hits" on Elevation, and now they still complain.

I would like to know how much more changes they could make - I can't remember when U2 played so few hits in a regular setlist.

The problem is U2 has such a big catalog it's impossible to please everyone.

I think they purposely didn't play "Gloria" or "The Electric Co." tonight just so that they can throw them into the next two nights as bonuses........it basically means they came up with a third setlist that lacks both of those songs..........there's four Chicago dates though, so I'm assuming we'll see some track that hasn't been on the tour yet come up, or perhaps "WOWY" or "Still Haven't Found" will become a staple....

glad to know U2 fans are so understanding. i was merely forming a thought that the internet ruins some elements of the show. just because i dont like some songs by U2 doesnt mean i think the concert will suck but i hate miracle drug and SYCMIOYO and pride is barely listenable to me. ive been to every tour since the unforgettable fire and not a day in my life has gone by in the last 20 odd years where i didnt listen to some U2 album or another, i was just hoping for a little more variety. the elevation setlist was awesome and the pop setlist was awesome. i just cant get that excited about this one and i dont even listen to all the bootlegs. i was so sure it was going to be a special tour ( you know after 9/11 and the death of his father ) and alot of their songs would resonate under these circumstances. im thanking the lord that desire is not played but i just wish they would dig deeper . there are two types of fans, those before achtung baby and those after. the after fans just dont get it sometimes. U2 doesnt even have alot of studio albums but they leave out close to half of them

bray said:
glad to know U2 fans are so understanding. i was merely forming a thought that the internet ruins some elements of the show. just because i dont like some songs by U2 doesnt mean i think the concert will suck but i hate miracle drug and SYCMIOYO and pride is barely listenable to me. ive been to every tour since the unforgettable fire and not a day in my life has gone by in the last 20 odd years where i didnt listen to some U2 album or another, i was just hoping for a little more variety. the elevation setlist was awesome and the pop setlist was awesome. i just cant get that excited about this one and i dont even listen to all the bootlegs. i was so sure it was going to be a special tour ( you know after 9/11 and the death of his father ) and alot of their songs would resonate under these circumstances. im thanking the lord that desire is not played but i just wish they would dig deeper . there are two types of fans, those before achtung baby and those after. the after fans just dont get it sometimes. U2 doesnt even have alot of studio albums but they leave out close to half of them
how can you say dig deeper? when was the last time gloria, electric co, an cat bubh, zoo station, and 40 played? they havent been played for YEARS, so really they cant dig much deeper, if they didnt play the very rare stuff often on the tour of that album, then there hardly gonna dig it up for a tour some 20 years later

Re: already bored this tour

bray said:
and so on. ive seen every tour since the unforgettable fire but i am really not stoked about this one. is it just me?

If you've seen them on every tour since 1984, then haven't you heard a hell of a lot more songs that most of us will never hear live?

was so sure it was going to be a special tour ( you know after 9/11 and the death of his father ) and alot of their songs would resonate under these circumstances.

The fall leg of Elevation was really their post 9/11 tribute/healing/what have you, so I don't really think there's a need to drag all of that back out going on 4 years later. Also, every night when Bono sings Sometimes it's his tribute to his dad, so I don't really know what it is you're looking for.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

Then leave, Mr Brau. From what I've seen of your constant negative posts, you'd be doing us all a favour.

Then you can all hold hands, sing "U2 is great", and dance around together in your u2 eutopia.

sitting at home and reading the same set every night may be boring....but for those going to the shows( i can assure you no matter how many times you watch the setlist posted) the shows are awesome!

mkdominatr said:
sitting at home and reading the same set every night may be boring....but for those going to the shows( i can assure you no matter how many times you watch the setlist posted) the shows are awesome!
:yes: I agree with that, when you see it you wont be bored, I assure you.

This post is boring... especially for people whp want to hear and see U2 concerts that ARE NOT U2 greatest hits concerts!

I understand wanting some more variety, but bray, did Elevation have the variety you were looking for? I've heard enough bootlegs from that show to know that with a few exceptions, it was pretty much the same set of songs. Some shows got "Out of Control," some got "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" or what-have-you.

They do a little bit of mixing it up on the tours, and they are during this tour. "Gloria" may have been dropped from this most recent show, but it will be back, just as it's been with the other cities.

They can't please everyone. I'd like to see "Pride" dropped, others would be disappointed. I'm glad WOWY isn't on the list, but others are disappointed. You mention wanting to hear "I Fall Down," but come on - how realistic is that? Have they played that since 1983?

Sure, they probably haven't played the "Boy" stuff since 1983, but if you think "An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart" falls flat in an arena, do you honestly think "I Fall Down" would set the place on fire?

The band will probably change the setlist somewhat for the next leg of the tour, and then maybe even switch it around again for the 3rd leg.

I think the setlists are good, but they need to switch it up a little more. Basically my complaint about this tour is the same as before the tour started.

BTBS and Pride every night?

I wasn't posting much here before this tour, but was there this much complaining going on during the last tour? I suppose there will always be, because U2 can't please everyone.

"Bullet" is powerful this time around, with Bono's torture poses and the quiet ending with "Johnny Comes Marching Home" and "Hands That Built America" thrown in. I admit, I prefer the loud ending of the Zoo TV version, but this one is powerful and relevant.

"Elevation" - not relevant or moving, but a HELL of a lot of fun! One of the things I love most about U2 is that they have songs that move me and make me angry, make me want to take action, and then they have songs that just make me want to dance my ass off.

All the people I saw dancing their asses off at the 3 concerts I went to seem to agree with me.

(As for Sting and the Dead playing for 3 hours, it's because all their songs go on and on and on in the endless free-form jam session until I want to scream, "Just end the freaking song already!" :wink: )

Last edited:
No spoken words said:
I love people who come onto a FAN WEB SITE and bash people.....for...GASP!..... being fans of the band. What's even better are people saying things like "Let's admit it...blah blah blah" or "I'm not an apologist...blah blah....".

I've been to 6 shows this tour, have enjoyed all 6 greatly, set list shake-ups or not, so, do me a favor and speak for yourself and don't suggest that anyone needs to "admit" anything or that they need to face facts.

Lastly, and this is too mind-boggling for me to really comment on in-depth.....how is it people get bored with the set list and they have not even been to a show? That's so completely fucking insane that I cannot begin to wrap my brain around it.

So, yeah, someone who posted earlier in this thread and complained will now tell me to "relax" or "chill"...whatever.....my advice to some of you people is...either stop listening to every bootleg you can from a tour you've yet to experience in person, or sell your fucking ticket to someone who will actually appreciate it.

Guess what? I'm a fan too. I know every note from every song from every album just like you. However, I reserve the right to criticize the band when thing's aren't up to the usual u2 standard. Some U2 fans seem to think that the band is above reproach. They're not. They are human, and some of their ideas are better than others. Yes, the Vertigo tour is still excellent, but something is missing - something is wrong. Part of its the setlist, part of it is the Elevation-rehash stage, and part of it is is a slight-but-obvious lack of passion on the part of U2. They'll pull it together - but only if we fans take them to task for their not-quite U2ness of late.

Also, look at the reviews for the first Chicago show last night on U2tours.com. Most of the fans were very disappointed with the quality of the show. Something is wrong with this tour. It's SO obvious.

starvinmarvin said:
Also, look at the reviews for the first Chicago show last night on U2tours.com. Most of the fans were very disappointed with the quality of the show. Something is wrong with this tour. It's SO obvious.

You're not hearing me. It's NOT obvious to me. It's obvious to you, great, whatever, sorry you're disappointed. You're not hearing me saying "The shows are amazing, it's SO obvious". Yeah, to me, they have been amazing, but I don't assume everyone agrees. Why do you think everyone ought to agree with you? And why do you think this is the web site for it? Would you go into a Red Sox chat room and try to convince them that the Yankees are better, or that the Red Sox were a more fun team back in 1975?

Listen, I'm the first to admit that if you go watch Rattle & Hum and watch them perform Bad, yeah, they simply are not that band anymore....and it has more to do with Bono's voice than anything else. Time takes a toll on all of us.....But, that does not make this tour any less enjoyable for me...they still sound amazing to me, Bono's voice is still heaven for me, even if it has changed from 1987. Nothing on the face of the planet does for me what 2 hours of listening to U2 do for me. Man, if that's U2 or Bono worshiping, so be it, I don't fucking care, I'll gladly have some sour person accuse me of that in exchange for what I get at a show.

And, I do agree, the band are not above reproach, definitely, but some of the demands of their so call fans are beyond realistic. This truly is not a band known for major set list changes, ever, it's just a fact. Any long time fan that, legitimately expects major changes, as opposed to whimsically, once in a while, hoping for them, is simply not being realistic. Do I want to hear A Sort of Homecoming? Yes, in the worst way. I do. When I paid for my tickets, did I expect to hear it? No, I did not. Did I walk out of the arena saying to myself "That sucked, where was A Sort of Homecoming". No, I did not. Nor will I ever.

I just feel that if you're looking for different shows nightly, go see other bands. If you're looking for an amazing show, semi-static setlist or not, go see U2.

And, once again, the people that complain about the set lists, but have yet to even see a show, are fucking insane, that's the only obvious thing to me.

No spoken words said:

And, once again, the people that complain about the set lists, but have yet to even see a show, are fucking insane, that's the only obvious thing to me.

Yes, I have seen U2 on this tour, and yes, I think the setlist is crap. It just doesn't work. There is no ebb and flow to the show. The transitions are clumsy at best. The middle of the show sags in the worst way. Some of the older songs sound forced and stale (BTBS, RTSS). I was ecstatic when I first heard they were playing An Cat Dubh, but it just doesn't work in an arena. U2 is a different band now. They don't play theathres any more.

Like I said before, it's not just the set list either. There is something missing from the band's performance. Bono looks like he has better things to do. The Edge looks distracted. I don't blame him - he's had a lot on his plate lately.

starvinmarvin said:

Yes, I have seen U2 on this tour, and yes, I think the setlist is crap. It just doesn't work. There is no ebb and flow to the show. The transitions are clumsy at best. The middle of the show sags in the worst way. Some of the older songs sound forced and stale (BTBS, RTSS). I was ecstatic when I first heard they were playing An Cat Dubh, but it just doesn't work in an arena. U2 is a different band now. They don't play theathres any more.

Like I said before, it's not just the set list either. There is something missing from the band's performance. Bono looks like he has better things to do. The Edge looks distracted. I don't blame him - he's had a lot on his plate lately.

I know you've seen some shows, my last comment was not aimed at you.

Look, this will soon go in circles, if it's not already....and I don't want to argue with you, you're not trying to start a fight, I know this.

Your comments are hard to argue with, you feel how you feel and I cannot argue you out of that, nor would I want to. I, as a U2 fan, am sorry that you've not enjoyed the shows as much as I have. I mean it.

I just don't think you should couch your opinion like it's a fact to you and everyone else is in denial.

I'm enjoying this tour immensely, much more so than Elevation, and I of course liked Elevation. I'm simply not hearing what you are hearing, bottom line. So, what strikes you as obvious is not so obvious to me, and to a lot of others. That being said, I know that there are people that agree with your take on things, definitely.

I hope that if you see future shows that they prove to be more enjoyable to you, truly.

Back
Top Bottom