MERGED --> people bitching that HAVEN'T seen the shows... + Setlist Gripers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you haven't seen a show yet:

You don't know how his voice sounds. A shitty bootleg played back on your computer doesn't quite cut it.

You don't know how impressive the stage is / isn't.

You don't know if the "magic" is there.

You don't know if the band is "into" it.

You don't know if the setlist works well.

So go on ebay, buy a ticket and stop fucking griping. You're all gonna cry and whine like four year olds when they stop touring go go see 'em while you can.

Bravo! Reading setlists and hearing mostly fuzzy MP3s isn't the real deal folks, see it live before you start complaining.

There isn't a second on a boot that can hold a candle to the real thing, even through a full blown PA rig. I tried.

Last edited:
TheRat said:
So we can't have an opinion unless we've seen a show?

Heil Lemon_Vr6

Apparently so, it would seem. So try not to be fooled by all the shows you've heard and seen on dvd/cd/video/computer/radio if you weren't there in person.
Yeah, and I always thought they had a giant lemon, cocktail stick and half a Mcdonalds arch during the popmart days. Insane huh? What was I thinking?
Just remember....
Everything you know AND think is wrong. It's dangerous even having an opinion in these parts my friend!

Re: people bitching that HAVEN'T seen the shows...

lemon_vr6 said:
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

wow, that was impressive.

I say, were you a literature major at cambridge or vasser?

because the depth of your writing would certainly suggest so.

have you written any longer works that might be published, or are you concentrating your formidable skills at short essays full of wit and wonder like the one above?

I for one, am sold. you've certainly convinced me.

why I would ever try to express an opinion on something is beyond me.

please, do carry on and feel free to whip us into shape the second one of us stops kissing u2's ass and says something other than "wow, that is AMAZING!!!OMG!!!!"

He probably feeling a bit euphoric at the moment. Expect him to be cooled off in about a month.

Setlist Gripers

One thing has started to annoy me. Setlist complainers who haven't seen a Vertigo show yet.

How can you justify taking a song out of the setlist based on an inferior sound recording or reading about a setlist? At best the bootlegs captures about 25% of the actual concert experience.

Don't get me wrong - I love the bootlegs and appreciate all that goes into making them. But hearing the recording and experiencing the band's performance, the visuals, and the crowd's energy doesn't compare. Yes, they've played Pride, Bullet, NYD, SBS a trillion times, but they work. People get off on each performance and clearly the band does too. What do you think U2 would prefer? 18,000 people going crazy when Pride starts, or the 50 people going nuts as Acrobat begins? Look at An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart. This song gets minimal crowd reaction, but when they go into Elevation, the crowd loves it. U2 has always been a crowd pleaser for the most part - they are clearly trying to appease both audiences (die-hard and casual).

If you hate a certain song, were at the show, and see it necessary to take a song out, fine. I respect that opinon. But at least understand the performance needs to be experienced first hand.

Let's just remember - they're playing for the audience and the moment. Not to be added to somebody's enormous bootleg collection.

Why do people on this forum get so offended whenever anyone makes a complaint about U2's setlist. I HAVE seen the show and, while I enjoyed it, I also would like to see U2 shake things up a bit more and started varying their setlists.

nicholsfornixon said:
Why do people on this forum get so offended whenever anyone makes a complaint about U2's setlist. I HAVE seen the show and, while I enjoyed it, I also would like to see U2 shake things up a bit more and started varying their setlists.

I'm not offended by anyone's complaints, just annoyed when they haven't experienced it live.

See for yourself, then complain if you want to - like you have. I wouldn't mind seeing some shake-ups once in a while, but realistically speaking, a setlist over-haul is not going to happen. I wasn't thrilled to hear Elevation was in the setlist, but when I saw it live, I enjoyed it, thought it was fun. That's all that mattered.

TheRat said:
So we can't have an opinion unless we've seen a show?

Heil Lemon_Vr6

How can you quailify yourself to comment on something you have not experienced? Bootlegs are to the actual event what masturbation is to sex. By your rationale, one could travel by simply watching DVDs of exotic places. Would you feel self-conscious commenting on Paris in a public forum having admittedly only watched a video? How about writing a review for a 3 Michelin star restaurant by ordering and eating a similar dish at Denny's?

Last edited:
lemon_vr6 said:

How can you quailify yourself to comment on something you have not experienced? Bootlegs are to the actual event what masturbation is to sex. By your rationale, one could travel by simply watching DVDs of exotic places. Would you feel self-conscious commenting on Paris in a public forum having admittedly only watched a video? How about writing a review for a 3 Michelin star restaurant by ordering and eating a similar dish at Denny's?
Because people around here think they are entitled to an opinion on EVERYTHING. They don't need to experience it to have an opinion on it. It's their right.

P.S - I love you (in a platonic way).

Oh - and I read some story boards on SW EPIII and that's fucked too.

Tip Top Prince said:

I recommend the shift key - it's useful for capitalization (amongst other things) smartass.

i'm sorry.
i was in a hurry.
there was a rerun of "the love boat" on that i just HAD to watch.

lemon_vr6 said:

I obviously agree with most of your statements, but I can also have a respectable opinion based on what i have seen, heard and read. The simple fact is that I don't agree with the The Ocean being chosen for the setlist over songs that are beyond superior. I don't need someone like you telling me that my opinion means nothing because i haven't experienced it and 'once i see the show i won't care'. IE 'Once you see the show you'll agree with me'. What am I going to get if I see the show and I STILL don't like 'the ocean' being in the setlist. "Stop whining, you just didn't get it"?

Please.

TheRat said:

I obviously agree with most of your statements, but I can also have a respectable opinion based on what i have seen, heard and read. The simple fact is that I don't agree with the The Ocean being chosen for the setlist over songs that are beyond superior. I don't need someone like you telling me that my opinion means nothing because i haven't experienced it and 'once i see the show i won't care'. IE 'Once you see the show you'll agree with me'. What am I going to get if I see the show and I STILL don't like 'the ocean' being in the setlist. "Stop whining, you just didn't get it"?

Please.

Good post.

If you haven't seen the show you can not complain about the setlist..??? That's uber-crap..

Seen the boys over 20 times in my life and this setlist is very very good. however don''t tell people to shut the fuck up because they haven't seen the show yet. Does that mean that I can not complain about Bono completely ruining a song like the fly(1 great performance the rest was so so) I'm sure I will go totally mad again when I see the guys again on stage but that doens't mean you can't give comments on setlists etc..bootlegs don't offer you the thrill of a U2 concert, they do however provide you with which songs were played and if they were played well...Hell you can very much so tell the difference between the first and the second night just listening to the bootlegs

Respect and love to everyone..EVERYONE

Scrabble

I think everyone has the *right* to voice their ideas and opinions, but that doesn't always mean they *should.*

There are actually qualitative differences in opinions, and someone who has A) seen U2 live before, B) heard a variety of past recordings, C) heard current live recordings, and D) seen U2 on the current tour, has a more valid opinion.

For every tour since the Joshua Tree (which was fairly easy to peg in advance), I've had "creative differences" with the band about setlist choices. However, in almost every case (early PopMart shows the exception) when I've been at the show, I see how well it works.

That experience has caused me to (gasp) TRUST the band, and enjoy the tours more for what they are and what they provide fans, rather than for what they might have been if the band had read my mind and played the songs *I* dreamed up.

It's understandable that on a hardcore fan message board, people will while away the hours speculating. But I would hate to think that people would miss out on what a truly great show this is because of misplaced prejudice.

Honestly, if you haven't been, and a show is going to be within five hours of you, get on eBay a couple of days before the show and get yourself a cheap ticket behind the stage, sell a couple CDs at the used record store, buy some gas and get yourself to the arena. You'll be glad you did.

Back
Top Bottom