MERGED--> OPINION: Tour will not start with Vertigo + Song opener for the tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
deltau922 said:
COBL opening the show.

I've thought for ages that COBL would be the best opener, with Vertigo coming striaght after (as the outro music on COBL finishes, Larry hits the drumsticks and Edge starts ripping up that muted riff).

I also think that the American section of the tour will probably have a different feel to it, because of the singles that have been released so far.

What does everyone else think?

Keith

LAPOE could be a great opener... the synthetizered distornion in the beggining of the song and the "Lay down" explosion...
But, LAPOE has too much "empty" or no-note parts, contrasting to the confusing, but well-structured chorus.
Vertigo, as someone said is to short, but let's remember that Elevation is not very long too... However, I see Vertigo as a song to but in the middle of the main-setlist.
All Because Of You, in my opinion, may follow the opener, as BD did in Elevation Tour...
Finnaly, COBL, I think it would not be a good opener... I imagine it at the 1st encore, but it has a good statut to open the tour...

I think that the guys will prepare us a good surprise as they did in Popmart with MoFo. Stay cool

I think the 2 best chances can be:

1. COBL - The intro is so great! Just imagine lights out and focusing only on The Edge- ala Rattle and Hum......Then Bono appears

2. All Because of You- Extraordinary rocker, very rough, - In your face kind of riff. Sets up the adrelanine very quickly the Way Elevation did it, the way Mofo did it, the way Zoo Station did it
You need to Get the "crowd into it" with the opener, and i Think ABOY has that signature

Maybe The "All Because of U2 Tour" is coming?

Happened with "The Zoo T.V tour" with Zoo Sation as opener
Happened with "Elevation Tour" with Elevation as opener

Any indication?
Could be

Vertigo has opened the pre-tour shows, so i don't see that possiblity
If it happens will be great also. Vertigo is already a classic, is an extraordinary tune

This tour "Le pateara el culo a todo el mundo"

See ya

The opening song of a show gives a band the opportunity to play something obscure, with a crowd that is pumped up not because of the song, but simply due to the fact that it is the first song.

U2 has opened the last three tours with more "obscure" songs - Zoo Station, Mofo, Elevation - none of these were the "big" songs from their respective albums. But the crowd is so into that first song that it doesn't matter what it is.

That said, I agree that the shows will not start with Vertigo. Vertigo will probably be one of the first few songs, but not the first. I'd guess COBL could be a great starter, but is very Streets-like, and may have too much of a JT tour feel. LAPOE, even though I don't care for it, could be a cool opener. ABOY also might work well.

Time will tell...

Aardvark747 said:
So....now that the tour name is confirmed as Vertigo, do we still think that won't be the opener?

(im thinking Elevation here....)

U2 rarely repeat themselves. Opening the Vertigo Tour with Vertigo after the Elevation Tour opened with Elevation might be seen as too repetitive. Alternatively, they might feel that continually not repeating themselves is too repetitive and will open with Vertigo! :wink:

Zoocoustic also makes a good point about opening songs.

I'm personally hoping they open with an OLD song. If you don't feel that Streets and Bullet counted as old songs when they opened on Lovetown, the last time an old song has opened is 11 O'clock Tick Tock on the UF Tour. And this is the 25th anniversary of U2's first release on Island Records, which was 11 O'clock Tick Tock (23 May 1980) .... hahaha, yeah right, like they'll even play 11 O'clock Tick Tock regularly!

Has anyone's else heard the rumour that Trent Reznor has remixed LAPOE for the opening song of the tour? Maybe it'll be a Trent intro (ala the Influx remix played at the start of the Elevation shows) then into LAPOE. I hope so, it works really well in my head!

U2 have said already they're really proud of that song, so I don't see them not playing it. I hope they do, it's the best thing on the album for me.

radioskugga said:
Out of control -> Vertigo -> Mofo

yea.

Let me rephrase that.
FUCK YEA!
Followed by:
Love and Peace or Else -> Exit -> The Fly

Well, I'm thinking Love and Peace or Else as the opener, as it's pretty much the only place it would fit into the setlist.

The first few songs belong to All Because of You, a ballad (probably Sometimes), Until The End of the World, and other various "mid setlist" songs. And the further along you get into the setlist, the sooner you come to Bullet The Blue Sky.

And, lyrically and musically speaking, Bullet The Blue Sky and Love and Peace or Else are too similar. To lump them too close together would be a mistake and hopefully U2 knows this.

Whereas LAPOE as an opener makes perfect sense, makes perfect time for space between itself and Bullet, and...well...

...Love and Peace or Else fucking rocks.

I would bet my next paycheck that the opener would be either Vertigo or All Because of You. They won't open with something unfamiliar to an audience who may not have the album.

The leading candidate is All Because of You, simply because it's a song (in one sense) about us, the U2 audience. But the "hello, hello" thing in Vertigo makes that one a strong possibility as well.

I think they can open with Vertigo, All Because Of You or Love And Peace......or something 'old' would be nice too

I'd like a big 'rockin' opening like set

Love And Peace
Until The End Of The World
All Because Of You
Vertigo

and slow it down with Sometimes....I cant wait to see what the set turns out to be.

LPU2 said:
They won't open with something unfamiliar to an audience who may not have the album.

By that logic, they definitely would not have opened with Zoo Station, Mofo, or Elevation.

Exactily. By the time ZooTV and Popmart came out, many people who went to watch the show didn't have Achtung Baby or Pop, respectively. So, much of them haven't heard yet Zoo Station or MoFo. And in Elevation tour, some only knew "Elevation" because the Clarence performance video had been aired a few times on TV. So, it makes sense to open with an unexpected song like LAPOE or COBL or whatever...

Vertigo is the ultimate rocker to open with though and get the crowd excited.....and everyone has heard it so much that it'll be good to get it out of the way in the concerts, so I think it's the perfect opener.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

You mean like opening the ZooTV tour with ZooStation?:eyebrow:

Elevation = Elevation
Zoo Station ≠ ZooTV

Last edited:
Song opener for the tour

I am going with Vertigo.

In the zootv Tour the tour opener was Zoo Station.
In the Popmart tour the tour opener was Pop Muzik.
In the Elevation tour the tour opener was Elevation.

So my guess is that in the Vertigo tour they should open with Vertigo.

I actually don't think they'll start with Vertigo. There's no way to just come on stage and just rock out without basically repeating what they did for Elevation.

I think Love And Peace Or Else has a good shot.

Id like to see Love and Peace or Else first but it will probably be Vertigo.

LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE WILL NOT OPEN THE SHOW!!! :angry:

VERTIGO is a lot more likely

but if the DVD nod is something... Stories For Boys, then Vertigo... but I REALLY don't think so

I'd love to see MD opening, but is a lot more safe VERTIGO

:|

In the Popmart tour the tour opener was Pop Muzik.>>>>>>>>

Erm the set opener for PopMart was Mofo! Pop Muzik was just what played over the PA as they walked on stage, just like the music before the played Zoo Station on the ZooTV tour and the trippy Elevation mix.

I think Love Peace Or Else is perfect to open the show.

what about electrical storm as opener?
a doubt it, but i could work.

the most realistic option will be:
all because of you- vertigo

i really like the idea of them opening with i will follow or out of control (although it will never happen) - those songs seem to fit really well with the new album to me.

lapoe will be about 7-10th song like new york was on elevation. i think it would make a good opener but seriously doubt it will happen.

maybe they will mix up the setlist-like they have been saying and change openers ocassionally.

odds:
all because of you 2:1
vertigo 4:1
cobl 20:1
lapoe 40:1

Back
Top Bottom