MERGED-->One Tree Hill in Oakland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ouizy said:
Personally - I think Bono butchered the snippet - prob because he forgot the tune (which is fine, I mean fuck - he did sing it).

Thanks for posting the audio file - it is really appreciated.

Can anyone tell me where the video file is?

I don't know if this link will still work, but I think it will. I put this up on my LJ: http://s6.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=15HPK3H4A4IH019A1SUJ67MD5I

I think he didn't quite sing it right, but it's still really beautiful.

hey - thanks for the files - you know - I just listened and watched it like 15 times, and I rescind my comment.

Not butchered - just different, and yes, beautiful.

I think I would have literally passed out if I was at that show. It would have taken me a second or two to realize why they were singing, a second or two to be jubilant, and then I think I would have probably hit the floor out cold.

What a way to go into the encore.

I cannot say enough about this...

ouizy said:
Actually - who is singing background? Edge is not at his mic stand - did he have his headset on?

I hadn't noticed anything ... I'll play it again. Sure it's not a nearby crowd member singing along?

Nope - I think you are right - I think it is a nearby fan to the cameraman singing along (possibly...)

ouizy said:
hey - thanks for the files - you know - I just listened and watched it like 15 times, and I rescind my comment.

Not butchered - just different, and yes, beautiful.

I think I would have literally passed out if I was at that show. It would have taken me a second or two to realize why they were singing, a second or two to be jubilant, and then I think I would have probably hit the floor out cold.

What a way to go into the encore.

I cannot say enough about this...

I just about passed out listening to the live stream of the concert! I most certainly lost the ability to type - my Interference posts and IM comments around that time are riddled with typos. At first, the lyrics didn't even register, and then it all hit me like a sack of bricks. I lost the ability to speak. I think I might've cried. If they play it in Auckland, I have no shame in admitting I'll bawl, especially if it's raining that night. Particularly especially if the heavens miraculously open up around the "and when it's raining" line. It's surreal just to think of the prospect of that.

For me, this snippet is this tour's high point so far and I wasn't even there!

I love technology so much, for allowing us the ability to enjoy things like this.

Wow - I am not sure you have noticed this, but if you watch the video - the person a few feet in front of the camera (in the dark vest) is pretty emotionally moved by this snippet and the girl to his/her left consoles him/her a bit...

Very moving, I mean shit...

Axver said:

I just about passed out listening to the live stream of the concert! I most certainly lost the ability to type - my Interference posts and IM comments around that time are riddled with typos. At first, the lyrics didn't even register, and then it all hit me like a sack of bricks. I lost the ability to speak. I think I might've cried. If they play it in Auckland, I have no shame in admitting I'll bawl, especially if it's raining that night. Particularly especially if the heavens miraculously open up around the "and when it's raining" line. It's surreal just to think of the prospect of that.

For me, this snippet is this tour's high point so far and I wasn't even there!

I love technology so much, for allowing us the ability to enjoy things like this.

Yeah - I had gone to u2tours the next day and saw the snippet and thought it had to be a mistake - then scrolled through the setlist party to see your reaction.

It is pretty funny actually - dont know if you have done it, but you should check out for yourself what your reaction was.

I too think hands down this is the absolute highlight of this tour (and Elevation for that matter!!!)

ouizy said:
Nope - I think you are right - I think it is a nearby fan to the cameraman singing along (possibly...)

I just listened to it again, and I'm pretty sure it's a nearby fan.

By the way, can you tell exactly what Edge is playing?

ouizy said:

Yeah - I had gone to u2tours the next day and saw the snippet and thought it had to be a mistake - then scrolled through the setlist party to see your reaction.

It is pretty funny actually - dont know if you have done it, but you should check out for yourself what your reaction was.

I too think hands down this is the absolute highlight of this tour (and Elevation for that matter!!!)

If you check out U2-Vertigo-Tour.com's concert update, you'll see what I thought was worthy of comment in the setlist. :wink:

I very clearly remember one part of my reaction, where I exclaim "ONE TREE HILLFUCKING SNIPPET". Someone else later mentioned the "hillfucking snippet" - that made me laugh.

This is probably the highlight of any show post-4 December 1993, Auckland for me. Why they don't play this song, I don't understand ... but it makes it so special when it even gets a mention.

jrjunior31 said:
Axver, how do you listen to a live stream of the show?

Sometimes we have a live stream from a mobile phone for our setlist parties. When we do, I try to ensure that the details of how to listen are in the first post of the concert's setlist party threads.

Axver there is nothing wrong with crying at a show. Hell I'm not afraid to admit that when the song started I screamed so loud then tried not to pass out. :giggle: My girlfriend grabbed my hand and asked me if I was okay. She is a newer fan so she didn't even realize at first what it was and then when I told her she started to flip out as well.

I did cry during the show during another song. Sometimes its just gotta be done. :yes: :wink:

Never Say Never was in the 2nd show's Vertigo before Rockaway Beach, the 1st show had a snippet of Rock n' Roll ****** instead.

Axver --
I must concur with you about One Tree Hill's greatness. I was blessed/graced enough to be at the concert in Oakland on Tuesday night. Having seen U2 twice on JT Tour without hearing OTH, I figured it would never happen in my lifetime. Therefore, Tuesday was a simply unbelievable moment. I would have traded in the entire encore just to hear a full band, complete version. But just to hear a snippet (more than probably 95% of U2 fans have been able to hear) was a gift.

A question for you -- besides the epic 12-26-89 Lovetown version of OTH, what other live versions do you have and would say are among your favorites? I only have 12-26 but would love to hear any others.

And I join with probably hundreds of other fans to say that I am overjoyed for you that U2 is coming to you. If anyone ever deserved it more...

yeager said:
Axver --
...besides the epic 12-26-89 Lovetown version of OTH...I only have 12-26 but would love to hear any others...

See my earlier post in this thread.

The background singing on the video clip is definitely me and my friend next to me singing along. I thought we sounded pretty out of tune and scary and was a bit concered that we might have ruined the sound of it, but we were just so excited to hear part of One Tree Hill. :) I'm so glad everyone enjoyed seeing the clip!

I'm so jealous of those of you at the Oakland shows! I just hope U2 play the song in full in Auckland so you can be jealous of me. :wink:

As far as other quality One Tree Hill performances go, I'd basically recommend every single Lovetown performance. For high quality audio, the other two performances in Dublin (30th and 31st) are good as they're soundboard quality.

Also, thanks to jcoriha for the snippet info. :)

ouizy said:
Wow - I am not sure you have noticed this, but if you watch the video - the person a few feet in front of the camera (in the dark vest) is pretty emotionally moved by this snippet and the girl to his/her left consoles him/her a bit...

Very moving, I mean shit...

I think that may be Lauren's husband......

Back
Top Bottom