MERGED->Finally,set list that really flowed-Chicago 5/12+The Best Setlist Hands Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha well i guess im the only one who doesnt think its the best

if i had to choose to only go to one U2 show on this tour, and I could pick either the 5/10 show or the 5/12 show, I'd pick the 5/10 show

as i've said before, i think the COBL into Vertigo is a better opening to the show than Vertigo into ABOY.

they are really rocking electric co these days, and gloria isnt as good as it used to be, so id rather see electric co.

id rather see an cath dubh/into the heart than a tired wowy.

id rather see zoo station than uteow because we've seen uteow on the past 2 tours

also on the 10th they played a full band version of party girl which was really cool

so, i may be the only one who thinks this, but i thought the 5/10 set was better

I think the 5/10 show was better. I do like the 5/12 setlist. I agree COBL/vertigo is better opener.
But, I was pumped when they switched it up to vertigo/ABOY.

i think a lot of people are caught up in calling the 12th the "best" becuase it is different, not necessarily because it is better...

Last edited:
KUEFC09U2 said:
in your opinion of course

Of course. I didn't think it was as good as on Elevation, as in 2001, they played it at almost everyshow and perfected it for the stage.
The lighting on the heart and stage was perfected perfectly for the song. Bono worked the heart quite well, as did the Edge walking out for the bullfight.

Last nights performance was great!!! It was a surprise!! I loved it. It just wasn't played with the same energy and focus it as has been in the past, but I think it'll return to a more intense form in the near future.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I think the 9th was better. :wink:

the 9th and 10th were basically the same :wink:

though i liked the oots and vertigo ending on the 10th better than the yahweh and 40 for the 9th

but i could see why people would prefer yahweh/40...

ayearwome said:

Of course. I didn't think it was as good as on Elevation, as in 2001, they played it at almost everyshow and perfected it for the stage.
The lighting on the heart and stage was perfected perfectly for the song. Bono worked the heart quite well, as did the Edge walking out for the bullfight.

Last nights performance was great!!! It was a surprise!! I loved it. It just wasn't played with the same energy and focus it as has been in the past, but I think it'll return to a more intense form in the near future.

ive heard others say it wasnt the most inspired performance of the song either, so it isnt ONLY your opinion :wink:

im sad they didnt use the light curtains for that song, now THAT could have been badass

While I do agree that I would rather see Electric Co. over Gloria, I think last night's setlist was the best of the tour for the following reasons (not just because it is different)

-the Vertigo/ABOY opening really kicks the show off with force (similar to Elevation/Beautiful Day or Mofo/I Will Follow) I personally never thought the LAPOE, while being the hip choice to open the show, ever had the juice to be an opener)
-Original shows up again (nice to see some different new material)
-while I probably don't need to see UTEOTW again it is a great opener for the encore
-FINALLY anytime a 10 minute Bad shows up, it makes a setlist great!

any thoughts?

FUIrish said:
While I do agree that I would rather see Electric Co. over Gloria, I think last night's setlist was the best of the tour for the following reasons (not just because it is different)

-the Vertigo/ABOY opening really kicks the show off with force (similar to Elevation/Beautiful Day or Mofo/I Will Follow) I personally never thought the LAPOE, while being the hip choice to open the show, ever had the juice to be an opener)
-Original shows up again (nice to see some different new material)
-while I probably don't need to see UTEOTW again it is a great opener for the encore
-FINALLY anytime a 10 minute Bad shows up, it makes a setlist great!

any thoughts?

-i admit i probably shouldnt judge the Vertigo/Aboy opening because I havent seen it, but I just think the COBL/Vertigo opening is perfect. The long intro, the confetti, the uplifting song, and amazing light display for COBL, then follow that up with a rocking vertigo...it blows me away everytime.

-Original was played during the 10th, and I agree I really like that song live

-Uteotw is a great live song, but if thats the biggest "surprise" song they could pull off thats kind of disapointing, since we've seen it on the past 2 tours, plus the rock and roll hall of fame. i also heard they didnt use the ramp at all for that song, and didnt use the light curtains, which is a shame because that could have been badass. and like i said, if i could only see 1 show on this tour and they gave me the option of either seeing zoo station or until the end of the world, id pick zoo station because its been so long since we've seen it (and the way they are doing it now is sweet)

-i agree, bad is badass, especially at the end when you arent expecting it. wish it would have been included in the dvd shows.

but when i take into account the full shows, id pick 5/10 over 5/12

but thats just my opinion, others are obviously allowed to disagree

Last edited:
What an energetic night that must have been, opening with Vertigo (finally) and following with ABOY, Gloria, Until the end... (YES! at last they play one of their best live songs - I hope it appears more in the future.)

If they're not going to bullfight during UTEOTW, I'd pick Zoo Station over it simply because we haven't seen it since Zoo TV. I wish they would make room for both, now that would be :drool:

seriously, take out NYD or Pride or some other over played song for UTEOTW and that would be perfect

ehhh, they played it in the spot normally reserved for Zoo Station

they played OOTS in the spot normally reserved for New Years Day, so that was cool at least

Chicago 4 is is a class by itself for this tour. Simply amazing, Bad was my personal favorite highlight, as it ended the show and was very long. :drool: :drool:

I'm going to agree and disagree with Chizip based on the principle of it all. I dunno what that means, but I'm sticking to my guns on this one!!

pssst, pssst Zipper...you're right a mixed up setlist with one new song doesn't make for a better show...just a different one. Like every U2 show I'm sure it was fantastic...but best setlist ever? How 'bout most original setlist yet?:ohmy:

I was at seattle 2, which was amazing, but this show's setlist put it over the top for me. I heard Edge miss at least 4 chords throughout the night...but somehow everything about the night just added to the magic, it was so stinkin awesome....:drool: i need more tickets....

God Part III said:
Also: Fuck All Because of You.

What do we need that for.
I hope that it stays out of Europe.

Your comment really pisses me off! :mad: Don't write as if you are speaking for all of Europe!

I really like that song and love hearing it live. Also, as this is a song from the new album EXPECT to hear it - a LOT! This isn't some overplayed golden oldie. If you don't like it, go get a beer during the song.

Although hearing "Zoo Station" is always outstanding, this i s a wicked good set-list! :rockon: I attended the second and third Chicago shows and was rather disappointed with how similar they were. I would have loved to have seen a more mixed up list like this on the third show.

However, as I listen to the mp3 boot of this show (the torrent is taking forever to get), it sounds like Bono's voice was a lot weaker for this show compared to the other Chicago shows as well as other concerts I've heard. Maybe he just had an off night? Or maybe the bastard had a cig that day! :shame:

Regardless, I hope this type of setlist remains for future shows - it seems to flow and has the best of the old and new. Good job! :yes:

I saw all 4 in Chicago, including #2 and #4 from GA.

I thought Chicago 2 was the best of the four. Bono was much more physically active and energetic from my perspective. I think he had something to prove after reading the lukewarm Chicago Tribune review of Chicago 1. Also, the Party Girl was very spontaneous and really added a lot to the show.

None of the setlists (including Chicago 4) were THAT awesome. It was great to hear Electric Co, An Cat Dubh/ITH, Gloria, Ocean, and Party Girl, but we KNEW for 100% that each of them would be played during the stand. Before the Chicago 4 show, my friend asked me what "surprises" we'd get. I said Until the End of the World and With or Without You, and possibly "I Still Haven't Found" with Springsteen. As Chipzit has pointed out, these are songs that have been played to death on previous tours.

But I do think it's fair to say that the inclusion of some unpredictability DOES enhance the show tremendously. It's just a lot more fun not knowing what's coming. The same was true of Chicago 4 and Boston 4 on the first leg of Elevation.

I'm looking forward to 5 at MSG in the fall . . .

Back
Top Bottom