MERGED--> COBL - the new Wild Horses? + Okay, I just gotta know...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brwh1

The Fly
COBL - the new Wild Horses?

a song with great moments, melodies and lyrics
but it ain't workin live
too much shit done in the studio

I think we'll have to give it time...

The biggest problem so far I think is crappy placement in the setlist. It's not that great as an opener, and not that great stuck in-between songs. IMO, COBL would be perfect for the first song of the second encore (after the zoostation/thefly/elevation trio).

The only other problem with the song is my problem with it from day 1...the verses are just too slow and sort of suck the life out of the chorus.

its a classic problem.
we all know the songs strengths etc. but the power is not there.
it's too long! thats it! a misfit tune...... as i'm listening to anaheim now.

btw the verses hold the substance of this song. only there's too many of them!
remember homecoming on UF album? and on UF tour? the rework was amazing.
COBL has the potential to be kicked into life

I was surprised to see this one opening.. for me this had the potential to end the show.. really... with an good vibe, like Walk On did

but after hearing that Edge slide on opening night... :drool:... amazing.. I WANT TO BE THERE... Much better than Elevation IMO

brwh1 said:
its a classic problem.
we all know the songs strengths etc. but the power is not there.
it's too long! thats it! a misfit tune...... as i'm listening to anaheim now.

You still haven't proven a thing. Where's the weakness?

I think its better live!

From what ive heard off the bootlegs the guitar is much more prominent and the slide through the intro and verses sounds so errie

Bizza

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You still haven't proven a thing. Where's the weakness?

What can you prove when it's a subjective comment?

I don't think it works like right now, either. I remember when I heard the song on the album, I thought it would be another Streets. Seeing them both in concert twice, I can see that it's not the case. Too much Edge, too many sounds that can't be duplicated live, and, yes, too long for what the song is. The "Oh - You" sections are great singalongs, but the rest of it doesn't work as well live.

COBL will only work at the start of the set or the end of the set, and since 40 is the staple for the ending, the only place that will do the song justice is as an opening

Its an amazing song, it just doesnt work live (see Like a song, Red Hill Mining town). I was convinced they would open with "All Because of You". I was wrong.

I prefer it as an opener to Love and Peace, to be honest. I cant see much else off the new album that'd be better as an opener.

I don't have the same problem with COBL that many of you seem to have.

1. I really like it as an opener. It's a kind of majestic opener instead of a bombastic one that works really well.

2. The live arrangement is so much better than the studio arrangement, IMO. From how Bono sings the second "time" to the far superior opening, it just works much better.

Just my thoughts

It should start the encore and go into Streets IMO, that would just be killer:drool:

Okay, I just gotta know...

Okay, despite being depressed about missing the tour, can someone please describe IN DETAIL (caps for emphasis, not shouting), how the band covered City of Blinding Lights? Please? :angel:

Thanx!!

I think it'd work better as a follow up song from "A Sort Of Homecoming" before another song, like Streets...

A Sort Of Homecoming
City Of Blinding Lights
Streets

it'd make a good transition.

I admit that it isn't a stunner live, but it's one of my favorite songs, so I'll be giddy just to hear it live.

Back
Top Bottom